Thread: PoH Instance review. Needs re-working.

PoH Instance review. Needs re-working.

The whole instance itself is pretty good. However, the respawn on regular mobs is rather annoying especially when you die. That should be addressed. (Side note: I did this all with the old engine client).

As for the final boss, that boss is extremely annoying. Not in the sense that it is difficult but in the sense that it is melee unfriendly and involves way too much kiting. Also, having to pull the boss to the rifts to lower the shield is a great concept, but there have been far too many times where he gets close or even runs through it and the shield doesn't disappear or the rift ironically disappears right when you/the boss get there. There is too much precision involved in this encounter when there is no room/time to run the boss back real quick to debuff him due to fire balls coming at you. The rift range to deactivate the shield should be increased. It is very anti-fun being a melee class for this boss battle, you are practically useless. It is one thing to make a boss encounter different and not just a simple tank and spank, but to make an entire set of professions useless is not fun. Melee are constantly out of range and simply cant get close enough to him without dieing due to fireballs. The window to attack him when he is in the center and when he has stopped throwing out beams of blue light is 5-10 seconds which is simply not enough time to run in, fire enough perks off to do any significant amount of damage and run out before fireballs are after you.

The 2nd boss of the PoH instances is visually annoying. He seems too large for the room along with the adds he spawns. I find myself fighting the air when I attack him. Also, when the boss as well as adds die, they are floating in the air. One thing I have always found annoying is that large boss mobs in AO are a slight hindrance to gameplay. They fill up your field of view and they are so tall that (as an enf) I become unsure if he is even attacking me. Seeing where my mob is facing lets me know who he is attacking. Large, hugely scaled mobs just seems cliche and overdone to me and just a bad concept with how we can view things.

Quote Originally Posted by MachSchau View Post
    melee unfriendly and involves way too much kiting. Also, having to pull the boss to the rifts to lower the shield is a great concept, but there have been far too many times where he gets close or even runs through it and the shield doesn't disappear or the rift ironically disappears right when you/the boss get there. There is too much precision involved in this encounter when there is no room/time to run the boss back real quick to debuff him due to fire balls coming at you. The rift range to deactivate the shield should be increased. It is very anti-fun being a melee class for this boss battle, you are practically useless. It is one thing to make a boss encounter different and not just a simple tank and spank, but to make an entire set of professions useless is not fun. Melee are constantly out of range and simply cant get close enough to him without dieing due to fireballs. The window to attack him when he is in the center and when he has stopped throwing out beams of blue light is 5-10 seconds which is simply not enough time to run in, fire enough perks off to do any significant amount of damage and run out before fireballs are after you.
    This is a L2p issue, I've done this boss several times and even tanked it on a few occasions on my keeper (yes you read that right)

Fireballs don't instagib you as soon as they spawn, they give you a good 1-1.5 seconds before actually doing damage and anyone with half decent reaction time can get out.

He has a HUGE hitbox, make use of it and stay at max range.

As for not going over the rifts, I agree with this, the hit detection on that needs to be improved. The thing where it disappears just before you get there though: that's just bad timing on your part. 2 rifts are present on the PF at all times I've found and each lasts 1 minute. Just pay attention and you will know which is the one you should kite towards.