Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make leveling the old way bether than sitting on kite hill.

How to make leveling the old way bether than sitting on kite hill.

I was thinking, what if we got another layer of experience? We "only" got tree (4 if you count pvp titles) layers at the moment, regular xp, Axp and reseach.
    The extra xp type I want to sugest could be called practice.
    At the moment, you can level your toon using a pistol, then dump all your IP into something else, like 1HE and be proficient with it. That is a bit odd I think. You can sit on kite hill gaining all your levels, never using a weapon, and sudenly you can take down a boss by yourself (I know, you have to ebay some uber gear too :-p).
    How would this "Practice" work you say? wel, I am thinking something in this lines: whenever you do damage with a weapon, you gain a litle practice experience in that weapon line, so if you shhot stuf with a pisto, you gain practice with the pistol, quite simple. The practice points got towards a prifiency level in the coresponding skil. If you never used a pistol before,m you wound be "totaly noob" in the pistol line, and actualy get a penalty to your damage and AAO. after some hits, you would be "noob" and the penalty would be less. then you might be "green" and have no penalty. Next lvl would se you get a slight bonus to damage and AAO. This could go all the way up to master, were you gain a significant bonus to damage and AAO.

This should also apply to evaders and tanks too. Evaders get practice in evading every time they evade an attack based on the number of hitpoints the attack they evaded would potentialy hit them for.

It should also be practice for hitpoints and AC, this could be called "Hardening" for the sake of realism, but should work in the same way. You get hit, and get hardened based on hp lost.

For the sake of equipping stuff nothing should change.

I feel this could make leveling your character the "old" way a bether option than it is today.

It had to be balanced so that you dont criple exixting players too much when it is introduced, and ovoerpower it so much that existing encounters get irelevant. Maybe increase the dificulity of higer level mobs acording with expected practice levels of players in the zone.

And, no level locks please, if I want to spend the next year killing reets with my lvl 1 Doc to be master Pistoler in Aretes landing, I should be alowed to :-P. Yes, I feel it should be atleast that steep a curve.
    Xerfi - 205 Fixer, General of Argentum Astrum

[edited by Anarrina]
    there's a reason WoW had that system and removed it: [edited] have you thought about how this work at, say, 220 where a lot of people change weapon lines? perfect example: my fixer. i switched from smg+craphander to troa'ler+rhat. do i now have to go grind inf missions to level up my pistol skill? because without FA i'm not gonna go and grind inf missions. especially not long enough to max out the skill so ican actually pvp at a decent level. does a 220/30/70 enf have to grind 2 months of inf mishes if they just switched from 1hb/1he to 1hb/piercing? will a remod crat that wants to gain AS from switching to pistols have to go back t being an exp totem? thanks, but no thanks.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Jan 20th, 2016 at 02:10:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    [edited by Anarrina] there's a reason WoW had that system and removed it: [edited] have you thought about how this work at, say, 220 where a lot of people change weapon lines? perfect example: my fixer. i switched from smg+craphander to troa'ler+rhat. do i now have to go grind inf missions to level up my pistol skill? because without FA i'm not gonna go and grind inf missions. especially not long enough to max out the skill so ican actually pvp at a decent level. does a 220/30/70 enf have to grind 2 months of inf mishes if they just switched from 1hb/1he to 1hb/piercing? will a remod crat that wants to gain AS from switching to pistols have to go back t being an exp totem? thanks, but no thanks.
    No no no. You will have to grind low level mobs as you can't hit anything high level with your pistol yet. Your pistol isn't leveled up enough enough to hit Inferno mobs yet.

/lft 220 solder crip cave.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Jan 20th, 2016 at 02:10:42.
    lolSPLAT

220s be fighting over War Academy not for their alts but for themselves and since their weapon "levels" suck they cant kill each other yet.

Just triple RK XP and make it count up to 220 with a bonus for every member in the team! Make this happen on RK so I can hate on SL without having to go there. I started this game because it at least had a passing nod to cyberpunk. I would love to see more in that direction.

I know that isn't the norm in this game, just miss seeing RK matter.

Yeah remove SL, first time i entered SL back in 2005 i was thinking oh why did i subscribe for this ... RK is much better, brigther, funnier noone cared my lvl 60 useless gimp adv didnt used any nano programs, or using subway weapons back in the days. But once i entered SL the complaints, hates threatenings, dramas etc all because i was a gimped noob.
    . . . everything in creation is impermanenT

how would this stop anyone sitting on kite hill?

They will just go back after they levelled to get the stuff

The best method to get people to level properly is to make certain items only obtainable at certain levels

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuniko View Post
    how would this stop anyone sitting on kite hill?They will just go back after they levelled to get the stuffThe best method to get people to level properly is to make certain items only obtainable at certain levels
    yo mean so they hire twinks to run them through the zone to get those things? (the way foremans/totw twinks were used until now)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    [edited by Anarrina] there's a reason WoW had that system and removed it: [edited] have you thought about how this work at, say, 220 where a lot of people change weapon lines? perfect example: my fixer. i switched from smg+craphander to troa'ler+rhat. do i now have to go grind inf missions to level up my pistol skill? because without FA i'm not gonna go and grind inf missions. especially not long enough to max out the skill so ican actually pvp at a decent level. does a 220/30/70 enf have to grind 2 months of inf mishes if they just switched from 1hb/1he to 1hb/piercing? will a remod crat that wants to gain AS from switching to pistols have to go back t being an exp totem? thanks, but no thanks.
    ugh I just had flashbacks to spending over an hour beating on those invincible orcs in the blasted lands to get weapon skill up

edit: OP, you want to make the "old way" better than kite hill? Make it give more XP/hour than kite hill. There is no skill or fun in fighting AO's punching bag mobs, so players will do whatever gets them from point A to point B the quickest.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Jan 20th, 2016 at 02:11:19.
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Gresshoppe View Post
    I was thinking, what if we got another layer of experience? We "only" got tree (4 if you count pvp titles) layers at the moment, regular xp, Axp and reseach.
    The extra xp type I want to sugest could be called practice.
    At the moment, you can level your toon using a pistol, then dump all your IP into something else, like 1HE and be proficient with it. That is a bit odd I think. You can sit on kite hill gaining all your levels, never using a weapon, and sudenly you can take down a boss by yourself (I know, you have to ebay some uber gear too :-p).
    How would this "Practice" work you say? wel, I am thinking something in this lines: whenever you do damage with a weapon, you gain a litle practice experience in that weapon line, so if you shhot stuf with a pisto, you gain practice with the pistol, quite simple. The practice points got towards a prifiency level in the coresponding skil. If you never used a pistol before,m you wound be "totaly noob" in the pistol line, and actualy get a penalty to your damage and AAO. after some hits, you would be "noob" and the penalty would be less. then you might be "green" and have no penalty. Next lvl would se you get a slight bonus to damage and AAO. This could go all the way up to master, were you gain a significant bonus to damage and AAO.

This should also apply to evaders and tanks too. Evaders get practice in evading every time they evade an attack based on the number of hitpoints the attack they evaded would potentialy hit them for.

It should also be practice for hitpoints and AC, this could be called "Hardening" for the sake of realism, but should work in the same way. You get hit, and get hardened based on hp lost.

For the sake of equipping stuff nothing should change.

I feel this could make leveling your character the "old" way a bether option than it is today.

It had to be balanced so that you dont criple exixting players too much when it is introduced, and ovoerpower it so much that existing encounters get irelevant. Maybe increase the dificulity of higer level mobs acording with expected practice levels of players in the zone.

And, no level locks please, if I want to spend the next year killing reets with my lvl 1 Doc to be master Pistoler in Aretes landing, I should be alowed to :-P. Yes, I feel it should be atleast that steep a curve.
    The industry leader tried this and failed. (WoW's Weapon Skills).

What happened there would happen here. People would grab a VERY BAD weapon (even on a max level toon), find a mob that either has tons of hp or just regens/heals a ton.. and hit Q.
    Come back a few hours later and TAH DAH! No work done.

It's too easy to bypass for the slackers and it's an unnecessary level of work for the legit players.

Kudos on trying to get something to prevent kite hill though but the BEST you can do is just provide alternative, time effective, FUN, leveling content.
    Michizure is love, Michizure is life.
    --
    Dywas - 220/30/70 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Caramela - 220/30/70 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Desejos - 220/30/?? Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    Gretchenross - 220/30/?? Neutral Opifex Shade
    Bizzle - 220/30/70 Neutral Atrox Soldier

--<3 Professional love--
    * Aiken pets Lazy on the head. Sure it is, you keep telling self that
    <Aiken> such a cutesy clammer aren't you *cheekpinch*
    <Lazy>
    <Lazy> viva la revolucion
    * Dywas decides to walk away from the soon-to-be sexytime
    <Aiken> lol Dywas, Id make a man of him
    <Lazy> Dywas, i'd go gay for aiken. no lie

There are a few Nanos around which are % based like Endgame Fixer-Hot , so it should be possible to have Reflect Shields do Damage based on HP of the Attacker as well .

Put a " 1% of your HP gone for every Hit you give me ( minimum dmg 10 to prevent low-hp builds) " Shield onto Hecks in Elysium .

Regular Teams will hardly feel anything or just makes sure to grab a Fixer-Hot before leveling or actually invite a Toon who can heal .

A Areanuking Hill-NT however will either need a Chainhealing Doc in addition to his OST or have to drastically slow down on the Areanukes so HnQ can heal him up before next Areanuke.

If Funcom ever brings the 1 Dmg back to Taunts(Mongo) even 220 Enfos couldnt OST since 1 Mongo in a Group of 30 Hecks would cost him 30% HP.

Its a brutal Solution but there is the new tl4 Playfield coming up so its finally Time to remove OST-Hill.....
    Last edited by Dollcet; Jan 20th, 2016 at 09:51:38.
    MA 4 Life ... No matter how hard you try, you can't put us down.
    -----
    I dislike Multiboxes , Makros , Programmable Keyboards , Multiple Actions to 1Key-Binds << all of them simply do not fit my Idea of Gaming-Skills/Competition-Ethics .
    -----
    Dear Developers for Future scaling of Items & Nanorequiments please consider that :
    -there are Players below 220
    -there are Players without Towers
    -there are Players without full Org-Benefits
    -there are free Players

Quote Originally Posted by Dollcet View Post
    There are a few Nanos around which are % based like Endgame Fixer-Hot , so it should be possible to have Reflect Shields do Damage based on HP of the Attacker as well .

Put a " 1% of your HP gone for every Hit you give me ( minimum dmg 10 to prevent low-hp builds) " Shield onto Hecks in Elysium .

Regular Teams will hardly feel anything or just makes sure to grab a Fixer-Hot before leveling or actually invite a Toon who can heal .

A Areanuking Hill-NT however will either need a Chainhealing Doc in addition to his OST or have to drastically slow down on the Areanukes so HnQ can heal him up before next Areanuke.

If Funcom ever brings the 1 Dmg back to Taunts(Mongo) even 220 Enfos couldnt OST since 1 Mongo in a Group of 30 Hecks would cost him 30% HP.

Its a brutal Solution but there is the new tl4 Playfield coming up so its finally Time to remove OST-Hill.....
    Not such a bad idea and it would actually work for its intended purpose.

I wouldn't personally endorse it because I always prefer solutions that come from making Kite Hill obsolete (e.g. a much better alternative leveling experience) than to cut any form of content from a game (yes even stuff like this), bad as it can be. But it's a billion times better than most other negative/exclusive solutions proposed.
    Leveling 1-220 from instances like they do in many other games might not be the way to go, but having a good chunk of the way "viable" like that would be great.
    Michizure is love, Michizure is life.
    --
    Dywas - 220/30/70 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Caramela - 220/30/70 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Desejos - 220/30/?? Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    Gretchenross - 220/30/?? Neutral Opifex Shade
    Bizzle - 220/30/70 Neutral Atrox Soldier

--<3 Professional love--
    * Aiken pets Lazy on the head. Sure it is, you keep telling self that
    <Aiken> such a cutesy clammer aren't you *cheekpinch*
    <Lazy>
    <Lazy> viva la revolucion
    * Dywas decides to walk away from the soon-to-be sexytime
    <Aiken> lol Dywas, Id make a man of him
    <Lazy> Dywas, i'd go gay for aiken. no lie

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalBath View Post
    I wouldn't personally endorse it because I always prefer solutions that come from making Kite Hill obsolete (e.g. a much better alternative leveling experience) than to cut any form of content from a game (yes even stuff like this), bad as it can be. But it's a billion times better than most other negative/exclusive solutions proposed.
    Leveling 1-220 from instances like they do in many other games might not be the way to go, but having a good chunk of the way "viable" like that would be great.
    Would? I have recently leveled two toons (independently) to 150 without any Ely heckler - ely quests, scheol quests, ado quests, bronto burger crowd quests, dailies, elite dailies, doja, bs dailies - there is pretty much to do at that level range - and a lot of it you should do anyway for nanos/items. With the new PF even more stuff to do at this level range. If it is a "much better alternative leveling experience" it's up to you, but it is viable.

I don't think 1-150 is the problem, it's what comes after which usually consists of getting to 160 and settling in to leach until 200+.

This game needs viable, engaging content that provides smooth leveling without mind numbing repetition or leaching at all level ranges. Make this happen on RK and SL, solo or teamed, etc and the game would see more people actively playing their toons.

I'd be curious to see what happen if someone took like 2 hours and reconfigured the ado / pen missions. Up the max puller level in ado to 200 and pen to 210. Reconfigure the mobs levels to around that range if they offer difficulty levels(don't believe ado does). Make the reward a cap for the potential max level puller. So an ado mission pulled by a 200 would give a 16m xp reward to all team members. In one hour you could 3-5 levels doing an ado mission with a 200 puller. It takes 12.6m xp to go from 150 to 151.

The level ranges might be too high but that's the basic idea. I don't think you'll ever get rid of kite hill though. No content they'll introduce will get you xp that fast.

Pen missions were always level 210 for the max roller level.
    The mobs however are out of scale compared to inf missions (ie. they're much harder than they should be).
    Ado missions should at least have a location that isn't a PITA to get to.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizaka View Post
    Pen missions were always level 210 for the max roller level.
    The mobs however are out of scale compared to inf missions (ie. they're much harder than they should be).
    Ado missions should at least have a location that isn't a PITA to get to.
    When I tested them out the mob scale didn't seem that terrible. However, the mission reward doesn't scale up to the max pullers cap or anywhere close to it. I don't recall if it was ado or pen but the mission reward was the equivalent of killing 4 or 5 mobs in the mission.

Ado mission locations for the most part don't take as long to get to as inf runs for those without keys. If they were actually used I'm sure people would just roll the same location over and over.

They should give xp multipliers for the harder to reach locations, so people could choose to do somewhere close like trial/cave for lowbies who will have trouble running through inf and other who wants a bigger xp drop can run to notum mines and stonecrown.

Or just give a daily mission reward to RK team missions.

I always wondered why people want to get kite hill out of the picture ?
    Advantages :
    - Is a nice place
    - you meet people there
    - you don't have to squeeze every drop of your knowledge to get a weapon good enough to fight over powered mobs for your level
    - if you are lucky enough you get some drama and fights there
    - you can make some $ there
    - you can get some nice loot there (search "superior plastic muscles" if you don't belive me)
    - you can afk a bit there and ride on your alt
    - the game is getting stronger because if you have an alt means you pay 2+ accounts
    - you get the faction with the guardian
    - you learn to zone to get agro off
    - you got plenty of time to learn about your perks and how to juggle with research bar
    Operator : "Are we safe from russian hackers ?"
    Support : "Da"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast