Thread: The Reck - Restrict Access

The Reck - Restrict Access

I'd like to suggest restricting access to the playfield 'The Reck' back to levels 90 to 170.

To my knowledge, this zone was created for the purpose of offering TL4-TL5 players an alternative for leveling. It is true that this site will do that, but by allowing higher level players to enter, I fear it will become a froob-friendly version of Kite Hill. Will this instance serve to offer an alternative that is on par with the XP you can obtain by sitting on Kite Hill?

I am open to suggestion and I will sway my opinion if someone would kindly explain why this is a good idea. I do know that the proponents of The Reck being open to anyone thoroughly enjoyed the thought of an "Open World" area being open to the public instead of restricting access, similar to an instance. Are there any other reasons?

I would recommend a restricted playfield whose XP parallels that of Kite Hill in SL. Additionally, I would like to see a froob-only nano or ability (Restricted to The Reck) that makes them more desirable as teammates. I.e - With a froob in the team, you receive more XP or they alone have the ability to significantly impact a boss encounter or with each froob in the team, you up the chance of a rare item dropping, etc. Don't make it impossible for a team of non-froobs to enjoy content, just make the content to where froobs have an active and desired role.

Level restricted zones was the worst bandaid fix change added to this game.

The concept of becoming too strong to continue accessing a zone is simply ridiculous. This game supports instancing of zones, it was in effect all the time back in the old days when many popular instances would reach its limit.

If anything that system should be used, levels 90-170 could enter Playfield 1, everyone else enters Playfield 2.
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Krause View Post
    Level restricted zones was the worst bandaid fix change added to this game.
    Why is it the worst bandaid fix?

The concept of becoming too strong to continue accessing a zone is simply ridiculous.
    Why is it ridiculous?

This game supports instancing of zones, it was in effect all the time back in the old days when many popular instances would reach its limit.

If anything that system should be used, levels 90-170 could enter Playfield 1, everyone else enters Playfield 2.
    Why should AO be easy mode for the people who don't need it and a PITA for those who need it most?

I think Krause's idea works, instancing is the way forward really and should have been applied to much more of AO.

I intensely dislike the idea of level locking the outside areas. You end up with severely restricted travel for a start. Instances like dungeons and so on are different, and if the worry is high levels will camp stuff then put the best stuff in level restricted indoor instances. As far as I can see the best stuff is already tied to level locked quests and daily instances anyway.

The Reck is supposed to be an open Rubi Ka zone. I want it to be more open than it currently is, with working regular zone boundaries, a Grid terminal and a couple of FGrid exits! Like a real RK zone. Becasue unlike a bunch of other RK zones that don't even have dyna camps, this one is worth nosing about. (WTB some fun stuff sprinkled into the other RK zones that don't have anything to offer anyone except a coupe of RK mission doors.)

The Froob-only thing is quite intriguing but that does seem to go against the last few years of game design where froobs have been removed from consideration when it comes to game balance. Or outright nerfed (advy auras getting an SL expac lock slapped on them anyone?) I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuniko View Post
    I think Krause's idea works, instancing is the way forward really and should have been applied to much more of AO.
    Yeah, it's really quite elegant. For those who want "easy mode" and find a team of 220 friends, the team system brings the lower level character into the higher level characters' playfield. For those that want to go through the area without high level people stomping all over the place can do so. I can see how this would make Steps of Madness and Smuggler's Den significantly less annoying. Although the dual-level-range nature of Smuggler's Den is a bit of a problem for deciding where the cut-offs are for splitting playfields.
    Froobalicious General of Barador Arin.

-- Playing AO for six years, still a nuub gimp, and proud of it!