Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AO2/AO Reloaded. Could it work?

AO2/AO Reloaded. Could it work?

I started again a few months back after more than 10 years of not playing and it's just so much more immersive than any other game out there. The world and atmosphere is just the best I've ever experienced.
    My biggest problem is that I can't get any of my friends to play it with me. It's just too old, the graphics are dated, the combat is kind of clunky, the UI is really difficult to get used to and even if I get one to play it with me, they lose interest in the game while playing the starter zone. Even I hate it. It feels like Funcom tried to replicate other more modern mmos with it and it has not much to do with the rest of the game.

So, why no AO2 or even better an Anarchy Online Reloaded with real new graphics, more fluid combat, maybe an easier UI.. but with the same skills, world and everything else.

I realise that Funcom has financial problems. But what about crowdfounding? Why does Funcom not try it? I would be willing to donate a few hundred bucks for a new AO.

I think AO was kind of ahead of its time at release. But now, in todays market, I truly think there could be place for it.

What are your thoughts about a new AO? Any others players out there that would be willing to help crowdfunding it if they would decide to try it?

I don't see the value in keeping the skill system either tbh
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

ao would been decent still if they didnt fail on the focusing the engine that tok 10 years and used those years into balanceing the game out and improving pvp aswell as pvm by uppgrading excisting content etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Swippy View Post
    more fluid combat
    And ability to dive pls!
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Would the numbers and interest be there to crowd source something like AO2? I think people overestimate the number of people clamoring for an AO reboot.

I think it would be nice if they at least made it possible for us to run private servers if they ever decided to pull the plug on AO.
    Vinkera - Soli NT - 426k DPM - Setup
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Lone anarchists - Tower of Babil

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Wondershot - Nano Soldier
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Trying out civilization - Storm

Quote Originally Posted by haxi View Post
    Would the numbers and interest be there to crowd source something like AO2?
    I seriously doubt it.
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

I've mixed feelings about this. I've VERY attached to the characters I've made and if I lost them I'm not sure any amount of "new stuff" on AO2 would sway me over.
    It's not just down to the loot/levels for me. I have A LOT of time and A LOT of memories that I connect to my in-game stuffs.. and AO2 with the current characters would bring in all the current problems right over to it.

That said, Funcom generally can't make "fluid" gameplay happen. TSW is the greatest example of that. I love a lot about the game but the engine killed it for me with it's poor optimization (ever since beta). I'm sure I've already typed this somewhere on the forums recently...
    Michizure is love, Michizure is life.
    --
    Dywas - 220/30/70 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Caramela - 220/30/70 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Desejos - 220/30/?? Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    Gretchenross - 220/30/?? Neutral Opifex Shade
    Bizzle - 220/30/70 Neutral Atrox Soldier

--<3 Professional love--
    * Aiken pets Lazy on the head. Sure it is, you keep telling self that
    <Aiken> such a cutesy clammer aren't you *cheekpinch*
    <Lazy>
    <Lazy> viva la revolucion
    * Dywas decides to walk away from the soon-to-be sexytime
    <Aiken> lol Dywas, Id make a man of him
    <Lazy> Dywas, i'd go gay for aiken. no lie

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalBath View Post
    I've mixed feelings about this. I've VERY attached to the characters I've made and if I lost them I'm not sure any amount of "new stuff" on AO2 would sway me over.
    It's not just down to the loot/levels for me. I have A LOT of time and A LOT of memories that I connect to my in-game stuffs.. and AO2 with the current characters would bring in all the current problems right over to it.
    I have to agree with that. I just finished leveling my 16th 220 toon, and honestly I would rather stand around and chat on one of my /born 2002 characters than do almost anything else. Not even a remote possibility I would ever spend 10+ years for all those toons on a fresh server.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

I think it could work. I think that the fact that AO still exists and is still (marginally) profitable shows that it has a lot of staying power. Coupled with the fact that there's not really anything out there that's an analog for Anarchy (believe me, I've looked <.<) , I think there's a lot of opportunity here. The SciFi space is still pretty open, and the sandbox space is still experiencing it's second rebirth. Anarchy was unique, deep, and obtuse in a way that I haven't really seen any other game achieve since.
    They should start small #MVP4Life (yay nerdhumor), get crowdfunding and let people (like me) throw money and help build word of mouth and overall success of the game.

It will never work. The core gameplay of modern and old MMOs are vastly different. As somebody else has said in this forum - modern MMOs focus on "jumping right in" to the action. You log in and you can instantly grab a quest and do something. Although boring and same faced gameplay during the lifecycle (minus for raids I suppose) you do get to do stuff immediately.

AO 2 would be just something like Skyforge.

Oh and as a side note. Ao team recently did the new player experience and The Reck. How would AO 2 do these things better? And don't say voice acting and graphics.

It would be an excellent idea. It would allow for the correction of mistakes done over the years as well as to redesign the game to be more consistent.
    AO now is a very different game from what it was initially. Some concepts have been made obsolete and could be removed or reintroduced to be significant again.
    The game as it is now is a mess with a broken monetization method as well as a bad mixture of obsolete and conflicting design and gameplay concepts.

TL;DR: AO could be redesigned with a more coherent design philosophy.

Just because most other modern MMOs are different doesn't mean there would be no place for an updated AO. There is a reason that many small studio games that do things different are so successful right now.

Funcom should just try something like crowdfunding. I think they are not allowed to use platforms like Kickstarter but there has to be other ways. If no one wants it than so be it, but not trying is just such a waste of such an awesome ip.

I would love to see an rp game, maybe even a cyberpunk movie or series based around the early days of the Rubi-Ka colony. AO should just keep improving on the game they have for now. 4k virtual games are probably the new thing, and I'm not sure we are there yet for complex games like AO.

They could just make more playfields like the Reck and the new starter area... so that for every level there is a good playfield. Quests should give good XP and some descent weapons, armor etc.

If they replace and add playfields, improve the engine.. then this game can still be insane. No need for AO 2 then.

Most quests should get markers on the map etc. - new players that don´t use guides all the time are really screwed.

I think this game can be improved in many ways and still leave the original style of it. It is unique and it is great

For your Information: Funcom is done with MMO's - Their Projects failed to much (e.g. Lego Minifigures, TSW, AoC, AO)... The Future of Funcom consists of developing survival games or eSports Games...
    http://cdn.funcom.com/investor/2016/...2016_Plans.pdf
    Last edited by Alves; Feb 11th, 2016 at 12:14:11.
    A Game without any new updates, is a dead game...

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/FUNCOM:NO - Funcom: Probability-Of-Bankruptcy 54% - https://www.vg247.com/2015/08/11/age...m-up-for-sale/
    No more developing MMO's - http://cdn.funcom.com/investor/2016/...2016_Plans.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Alves View Post
    For your Information: Funcom is done with MMO's - Their Projects failed to much (e.g. Lego Minifigures, TSW, AoC, AO)... The Future of Funcom consists of developing survival games or eSports Games...
    http://cdn.funcom.com/investor/2016/...2016_Plans.pdf
    A company that continues to create playfields with team content for low level toons and allows it to be camped by higher level toons is destined for something different.

AO does not need AO 2.

MMOs are over. Funcom is adjusting to that, which is great, we get to enjoy AO longer.

Cashflow positive and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

I don't think that you really get to enjoy AO that much longer. AO is still running because it's still profitable but it's not like there are that many players left.
    AO is still not on Steam, the new Engine was outdated before it even released and it's still buggy. The game is really hard for new players to get into.. with old players leaving and no new players coming in, the game will slowly die. So something has to change or there will be no AO at all.

It's kinda funny that so many of you are against change. What do you think will happen in 1-2 years if the population keeps declining? Even if AO doesn't shut down, it won't be fun to stand around Borealis all day without other players to chat or play with.

Except we have full raids often, whenever I log in some Nab is doing a Raid. Game is alive and well. Certainly on same level as 4 years ago. Wish there was an accurate online numbers graph.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast