Thread: AO "Hardcore" Mode Idea

AO "Hardcore" Mode Idea

Hi everyone!

I just recently came back to AO and realized the game is mostly fast paced leveling, getting gear solo multi-boxing, and a lot of OST. I wanted to know what people thought of slowing it down and making a book of unwritten rules to a "hardcore mode" scenario.

Example:

1) Level only through groups, dailies, and hunting grind.
    2) Equip only items obtained through loot (E.G. dynas, dungeons, vendors)
    3) No outside buffs other than to twink on looted items obtained through teams or solo.
    4) No carries through dungeon via a twink within level range.
    5) Only spend credits obtained from selling loot via vendor or GMI.
    6) No buying items from in-game shop using funcom points

...and potentially more.

I know some games have made up this idea in MMO's like World of Warcraft called Iron Man.

This could be a fun way to level new toons and experience the game again instead of this fast paced 1-220 race with alts. It could bring Organizations closer together and make the new players have more people to team with and even froobs.

Thoughts? Comment below!

Leveling would be glacially slow, especially after TL4, because the things you can get from loot that any TL3-4 could reasonably do, even in a team, is apocalyptically bad.

This is precisely it. How else did people get to 1-200 when AO first came out? And I understand that things could be "glacially slow" but the point wouldn't be the end process of 220. It would bring that abandoned, new feeling to yourself and teammates. Only play when teams are available and set dates just to enjoy and if it is so they may take time to level.

Stating the speed of how slow the leveling would be is not a good first step to trying to think of something that would be quite interesting.

Lol, i did that 4-5 times... Always it was slow, gimp but fun. I like this style to lvl 100, after that BS daily 3x to 170 and then inferno to 220.

Slow leveling is fun even to 130... But then it goes painfully slow.

That being said I have a 100 froob engie who Id take to 200 the slow way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

/add idea: Research can be power leveled so only thing that cannot is the main levels.

*Just small ideas that would make this reasonable is all I ask.*

Well, I am glad you would enjoy it! And yes, it isn't that bad considering I've done it myself. Again, I feel one adjustment would be making research levels power level enabled only!

Permadeath? After death, character can't attack or cast nanos. Just for funsies ;D
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Ekarona View Post
    Permadeath? After death, character can't attack or cast nanos. Just for funsies ;D
    Actually that is a real thing too where you can't die in forms of "hard more" I have seen!

Quote Originally Posted by Freightrain View Post
    This is precisely it. How else did people get to 1-200 when AO first came out?
    A lot of free time and very low standards
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

it was hard ... especially when u lost all ur xp u gained before in a mission - there was no pool for gaining this xp back.
    many ppl left the team after whipe.

but I would say it was the best time in AO Ive ever had.
    Ian Warr ftw
    Last edited by Sugarbabe; Today at 13:37:00... 1337 times