Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a new Anarchy Online server

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    i would sacrifice evry alt i had for a new server and the option to start with nothing any day.
    i love equal play, and a new server for me would be the best thing to keep me here longer.
    And in a few months (maybe less) when everything's back to business as usual and people are farming with their 220s like today? You call for another new server or just quit because it was not such a great idea?
    Michizure is love, Michizure is life.
    --
    Dywas - 220/30/70 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Caramela - 220/30/70 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Desejos - 220/30/?? Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    Gretchenross - 220/30/?? Neutral Opifex Shade
    Bizzle - 220/30/70 Neutral Atrox Soldier

--<3 Professional love--
    * Aiken pets Lazy on the head. Sure it is, you keep telling self that
    <Aiken> such a cutesy clammer aren't you *cheekpinch*
    <Lazy>
    <Lazy> viva la revolucion
    * Dywas decides to walk away from the soon-to-be sexytime
    <Aiken> lol Dywas, Id make a man of him
    <Lazy> Dywas, i'd go gay for aiken. no lie

New Server would be amazing. But that would be also selfish reasons.

There could be great bonus for a new server. It would bring people back and it would even bring new players into the game. But in the end you need to create it as a progress server or something more exciting in nature. No expansions right away etc...

Then you have to go based on a vote system etc to unlock the next content.

In the end I think it has to be merged back into the main server after the last expansion opens up say 6-12 months.

But then again this would be more work and nothing that funcom has time or care for. They have next to no staff as it is. Where is the manpower / hours for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Kane-Hart View Post
    New Server would be amazing. But that would be also selfish reasons.

There could be great bonus for a new server. It would bring people back and it would even bring new players into the game.
    What? Do you seriously think there's a bevy of would-be new players just waiting for a new server?

An established (if tiny and shrinking) player base and mature economy isn't what's keeping new players out, what's keeping them out is all the infinitely more polished and playable MMOs out there.

I mean damn son, have you looked at the default UI settings and controls (which haven't changed in, what, ten years)? They're downright unusable. I once tried to introduce a friend to AO and he quit in like five minutes because of the terrible camera. This isn't the early 00's anymore, there's a ton of options out there, and if your first impression is as bad as AOs is, chances are it'll be the last impression for most players as well.

FC focusing its dwindling resources on the new engine was a big mistake as far as I'm concerned. Players will forgive bad graphics far more readily than they will forgive a bad interface or bad gameplay.
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalBath View Post
    And in a few months (maybe less) when everything's back to business as usual and people are farming with their 220s like today? You call for another new server or just quit because it was not such a great idea?
    I don't think that it will happen fast enough.

Just imagine situation when/where noone has credits to buy/afford appropriate gear at specific levels, where every item for every alt should be farmed simply because there are none at GMI, or you just simply cannot afford it due to extremely low overall credit base.
    G.F.B.D.
    --------------------------------------------
    Artyomis has played 800 days 0 hours 0 minutes 0 seconds
    WTB subscription price lowered for eastern europe countries due to current USD/EUR-to-local-currency rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Artyomis View Post
    I don't think that it will happen fast enough.

Just imagine situation when/where noone has credits to buy/afford appropriate gear at specific levels, where every item for every alt should be farmed simply because there are none at GMI, or you just simply cannot afford it due to extremely low overall credit base.
    I'm 100% sure it will.

You vastly underestimate the power of a proper team / a proper multiboxer farming. I have played with a team of 4 players (myself included) for the last few years. Together we did everything 'cept s42 extremely easily and we had no issue even on our lower geared toons. Why? The game just isn't that hard.

You can get decent OFAB / DB / Dreadloch gear with a minimal time investment and use it to farm Beast / Xan / APF gear. From there it goes to ezmode reeaaal fast.

S42 won't happen as easily but if there's any non-legitimate way of getting gear then the power gap will be even bigger than it is on live today.
    --

--<3 Professional love--
    <Lazy>

Quote Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
    What? Do you seriously think there's a bevy of would-be new players just waiting for a new server?An established (if tiny and shrinking) player base and mature economy isn't what's keeping new players out, what's keeping them out is all the infinitely more polished and playable MMOs out there.I mean damn son, have you looked at the default UI settings and controls (which haven't changed in, what, ten years)? They're downright unusable. I once tried to introduce a friend to AO and he quit in like five minutes because of the terrible camera. This isn't the early 00's anymore, there's a ton of options out there, and if your first impression is as bad as AOs is, chances are it'll be the last impression for most players as well.FC focusing its dwindling resources on the new engine was a big mistake as far as I'm concerned. Players will forgive bad graphics far more readily than they will forgive a bad interface or bad gameplay.
    Don't get me wrong I agree on many parts here but I also know and seen it with my own eyes that a relaunch of a brand new server will bring a lot of people back. EQ2 actually did this recently and many people including myself ended up going to their new progress server. They did exactly what I said locking the new expansions up etc for the first while and people voted to open them.It worked well.But that being said yes there is many many other issues. But the time spent on the new Engine and how well it does not work is the biggest time sink that Anarchy Online has ever faced. I think if the client could work perfectly it would not be so bad but I highly doubt they will ever get it working as smooth as what we have now meaning that they will always be sinking time into the new engine.I myself was using it but crashing every hour or so I got tired of it. Hell I consider still using it if they made it so your settings saved without exiting the game but while leveling I kept losing all my UI changes.

I'm 100% sure it will.

You vastly underestimate the power of a proper team / a proper multiboxer farming. I have played with a team of 4 players (myself included) for the last few years. Together we did everything 'cept s42 extremely easily and we had no issue even on our lower geared toons. Why? The game just isn't that hard.

You can get decent OFAB / DB / Dreadloch gear with a minimal time investment and use it to farm Beast / Xan / APF gear. From there it goes to ezmode reeaaal fast.

S42 won't happen as easily but if there's any non-legitimate way of getting gear then the power gap will be even bigger than it is on live today.
    I surely underestimate the power of proper team
    Just fyi - Ive started playing 6 accounts since 2008, farmed every possible item, instance and raid.
    Game is easy, yeah, but you won't surely get totally endgame MB team on brand new shiny server fast, just because you won't be able to buy/obtain all the gear as easy as you say.
    You will invest tons of time levelling to 220 just because there will be no kiting. You won't get any decent mid-level weapons to deal high enough damage to level fast on regular basis. You'll also need pretty solid amount of creds to get appropriate implants and/or armors for specific levels, as far as nanos and other things.
    Plus, you'll need to do all the quests w/o 220 support.
    Plus, you'll need to level your own tradeskiller to TS your AI armors and some other things.
    City upkeep will also become problem, just because economy will be extremely tight and you'll need to farm creds on regular basis

AI armors will take months to farm for all MB toons, just because you won't be able to buy leadbots. And so on and so forth.
    Noone said its HARD. I just said that things won't be as fast as they are on current server. And process itself will be much more interesting and challenging compared to current server, thats all.
    G.F.B.D.
    --------------------------------------------
    Artyomis has played 800 days 0 hours 0 minutes 0 seconds
    WTB subscription price lowered for eastern europe countries due to current USD/EUR-to-local-currency rates.

Mmm that sounds fun if they added one single rule. No Multi boxing period Maybe the only exception is bank alt.

Quote Originally Posted by Artyomis View Post
    I surely underestimate the power of proper team
    Just fyi - Ive started playing 6 accounts since 2008, farmed every possible item, instance and raid.
    Game is easy, yeah, but you won't surely get totally endgame MB team on brand new shiny server fast, just because you won't be able to buy/obtain all the gear as easy as you say.
    You will invest tons of time levelling to 220 just because there will be no kiting. You won't get any decent mid-level weapons to deal high enough damage to level fast on regular basis. You'll also need pretty solid amount of creds to get appropriate implants and/or armors for specific levels, as far as nanos and other things.
    Plus, you'll need to do all the quests w/o 220 support.
    Plus, you'll need to level your own tradeskiller to TS your AI armors and some other things.
    City upkeep will also become problem, just because economy will be extremely tight and you'll need to farm creds on regular basis

AI armors will take months to farm for all MB toons, just because you won't be able to buy leadbots. And so on and so forth.
    Noone said its HARD. I just said that things won't be as fast as they are on current server. And process itself will be much more interesting and challenging compared to current server, thats all.
    Most of the things you're portraying as hard have been nerfed to the ground, mate. Quests are generally easier, especially Ado and DB quest (they're CAKE now).
    Leveling is extremely easy, especially with The Reck coming in at range people used to kite in.
    The tradeskiller isn't hard, some of the tradeskilling tools maybe.

AI Armor isn't needed for most endgame PvE encounters in AO so it's not even a consideration here. Sure it's nice and something to aim for eventually.

I don't BUY much gear. Ever. Playing with friends makes farming enjoyable to that point. Multiboxers are less effective but still great at it so I included them in the mix.
    --

--<3 Professional love--
    <Lazy>

Enf, doc, crat, keep, eng, nt game set match. Passive aad/aao from crat/keep along with ward and engi/nt blinds makes Enf almost not even need doc for majority of encounters. NT can kite entire team into tl7. Who needs city when you can solo farm s10 for buff armor, s7 for decent weapons, and ofab/moly/db.

You could even swap out shade for enf or sol for keep if you prefer. Have froob accounts with MP and trad to buff crat/eng and you can even use pets to tank for a good portion of leveling through tl5.

I would guess a good player could bust 220's maybe in 2-3 months of moderate play with his/her own 6 man team. Sooner if they grind.

There goes your new server. Because it would be you and a few MB players, good luck with that. Most vets are too attached to their 5-10yr old toons to even think about leaving them for a new server.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

The only thing AO needs is more people in the oceanic/pacific TZ.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    The only thing AO needs is more people in the oceanic/pacific TZ.
    I been streaming each night I got off a little early but I stay on till about 9-10PM PST. 2-3 people at least have come back and even subbed so imagine if more of us streamed / youtubed how as a community we can slowly pull more into the game.

Mmm that sounds fun if they added one single rule. No Multi boxing period Maybe the only exception is bank alt.
    Why would you multibox bank alt? Are they not just for easy item access?
    Just finished setting up prefs and client crashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Drdoll View Post
    Why would you multibox bank alt? Are they not just for easy item access?
    He likely meant multi-logging.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

I been streaming each night I got off a little early but I stay on till about 9-10PM PST. 2-3 people at least have come back and even subbed so imagine if more of us streamed / youtubed how as a community we can slowly pull more into the game.
    That's.... 7 hours before I get online :/

NZ-aus-korea-Japan-china-india etc is the deadzone.

nope i keep playing, i wouldnt mind to level new alts etc

Welcome to the team. a few of us have been around for a while, creating content and bringing people back. Content + social media + being helpful ingame without the atrocious ego that follows so many players in this game.

I am so nostalgic for the "good ole days"(pre LE), when Old Athens was dark, industrial and got invaded by omni enfs running around with blue capes killing all the lvl 150-220
    It would be so so sweet to have an AO server dedicated to just RK and work on encouraging city pvp between factions.

My best memories from like 2002 or something, was being a lvl 150 agent on my main, without SL and experiencing the chaos of city raids.
    Trying to gank pvp raiders in Old Athens and getting squished in the process
    Or dueling Forz or Foud in the arena on my 220 opi agent.
    Ah, everything before LE was awesome...

With the battlestation added and the AI grinding I stopped trying to keep up with the gear grind and left.
    It was supposed to be anarchy.. Somehow the ommers got into power and made too many rules and regs..
    Pesky ommers :P

Give me an AO with the original gas zone rules. Was much more fun to have a few zones where you had to watch your back.

Quote Originally Posted by Advofluv View Post
    What would it take to start up a brand new Anarchy Online server?
    Far too much to be viable. It's an idea players like to toss around, but it's not a realistic one.

To start, you should examine what it actually means to restart the server. One example is that twinking is virtually impossible on a fresh server. Not even lazy twinking is possible. Implants are prohibitively expensive, viable weapons are few and far between without luxuries, armor is virtually unheard of for significant periods from reliable drops, and even nanos can be extraordinarily expensive while leveling.

Some, myself included, might enjoy progressing with their first character on a new server - until they hit a wall. AO actually benefits heavily from the distorted excess of items on the server in many instances. There are plenty of items that are considered staple items which bridge the gap between massive ranges of gear - items which have dreadful drop rates and would be next to impossible to get on a fresh server. This doesn't begin to cover the fact that AO actually isn't well designed to support a large player-base without most resorting to leveling via missions. Viable camps are few and far between at a given level range, even now it's entirely possible that the majority of decent heckler camps in Nascence will be claimed (Not likely, but possible). Yes, you can level on other things - but even heckler leveling can be slow, many other camps make the speed far worse.

This also doesn't begin to cover the unbelievable grind of shadowlevels & research, nor does it touch on the fact that shadow levels are freaking awful without the ability to leech - or without the ability to twink in excess, which we already established isn't possible. If you want a basic example think about how you would go about gearing up a fresh 201 capable of actually providing any value in inferno missions.

This still doesn't cover the idea of alts - at which point you need to go through the entire nightmare all over again; except now, the novelty has worn off and all that remains is the tedium.

Changes that would need to occur to allow FC to even consider this for a moment - economy balancing, droprate adjustments, new gear introduction, gear rebalance, experience adjustments, introduction of new camps, provide viable ways to earn experience without a full party, massively increase the droprate on virtually every item with a low droprate, stabilize the client, address PvP balance, and the trickiest step - multiply the active player-base by about 20.

Fixing the economy, by comparison, is actually much simpler. Just create a credit tax which targets accounts in higher credit brackets with significantly higher rates, eventually leading to something like a 95%+ rate. Or just wipe the credit economy clean, though that would be a bit chaotic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12