Thread: Old Client not working with optimus at all

Old Client not working with optimus at all

So after figuring the 940m just didn't cut it for the new engine I decided to try to use the old engine for a bit better performance. What I found though is I couldn't get the graphics card to work with it at all, it's the intel based graphics or just CPU bound. I tried adding it to the nvidia control panel but it just refused to use the card, in fact it seems so separated it never shows up in the recently used list either. A solution to this would be great, otherwise I guess I'll have to stick to the new engine which gets dangerously hot for my laptop

My specs are:

Nvidia GT 940m
    Intel core i5 5200U with intel 5500 graphics
    Windows 8.1
    Last edited by Notcrattey; Mar 12th, 2016 at 20:39:58.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

No solutions?
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Is there a reason you are sticking with Win 8.1 rather than taking advantage of the free windows 10 update?

I run the old engine on on my laptop with a i5-4200U and integrate intel HD graphics, previously I had severe graphics glitches (missing floors/textures, unreadable text, red laser show), however none of this is present post the win 10 upgrade. I believe other forum users have reported similar resolutions when moving to win 10.
    Last edited by Auct; Mar 15th, 2016 at 10:10:18. Reason: typo

Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

940m should be able to handle ao new engine, even the intel 5500 should be able to handle it as well. Because the new engine is an illusions, its actually not "new". And the old engine was created back in the year 2000 were hardwares like AGP, Front Side Bus, Single data rate ram, intel Pentium dominated, and i believe AO isnt optimized well enough to be compatible with new hardwares that people are using today in 2016. However if you can play other new games without problems then the issue is not with your hardwares. What you can try is installing old drivers, old directx like Caloss2 adviced, and maybe older Windows because i have seem players with similar issue as you described resolved this issue by installing Windows 7 Ultimate, but i havent tested so i cant confirm if this is working or not because i donated my intel/nvidia setup away and using AMD/AMD for gaming without any problems.
    . . . everything in creation is impermanenT

Do you have the "Direct3d T&L Hal" option under rendering device settings in the ao client? If not, try forcing both anarchy.exe and anarchyolline.exe to use the 940m in nvidia control panel. Hopefully this should make the T&L option show up in your ao client.

OP says he have tried this but 940m wont shows up. You read the bellow problems descriptions i quoted if you havent done so:

Quote Originally Posted by Notcrattey View Post
    ... I tried adding it to the nvidia control panel but it just refused to use the card, in fact it seems so separated it never shows up in the recently used list either.
    . . . everything in creation is impermanenT

Well yeah, but he didn't say if he added the loader executable too or just the game client.