Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: open letter to FC for old AO

open letter to FC for old AO

dear fc,

what would it take for you to open an server with the very first version of AO? 2001 version of AO with some bug fixes. i bet that you will have more players than today.

i would play it. any1 else?

+1

I would actually pay for ao again if this happened, rather than farming creds for grace
    2017 - The beginning of the end.

So no perks, no research, no AI / SL etc. Why not just play froob and not participate in Notum Wars? Seems to be pretty much the same thing unless you want the old gui or some other esoteric switch.

Quote Originally Posted by haxi View Post
    So no perks, no research, no AI / SL etc. Why not just play froob and not participate in Notum Wars? Seems to be pretty much the same thing unless you want the old gui or some other esoteric switch.

Because the original AO had coherent gameplay that does not exist anymore, even for froobs, and because people playing on that server would not have to put up with lazy froob haters, kill-stealing trolls or idiotic OP "gnaker gods".

A bug free original version would quickly surpass the existing game in popularity. And with updated graphics it would probably start to show on a few top 10 MMORPG lists.

Yus, game started in a backyard, subway in old athen, damage when you fall and only 2 buttons to push (q to attack and a special attack if you are lucky)
    Sounds like a game only you would play it
    Genele: ofc I come back to u difs. U used to look as hot as me

Also if you put more armor on you or carry lots of bags, you become "heavy" and move slower
    Genele: ofc I come back to u difs. U used to look as hot as me

Quote Originally Posted by Difs View Post
    Yus, game started in a backyard, subway in old athen, damage when you fall and only 2 buttons to push (q to attack and a special attack if you are lucky)
    Sounds like a game only you would play it

Because the game now is so different.

Now we start in "whatever it's called" playfield and leave in less than a minute. Go to another playfield called "War Academy" followed by similar playfields with different names but the same "gameplay" requiring 0 buttons to be pressed. After reaching the intended level, equip toon with gear from froob mules. When the toon is "ready", start playing the game by still pressing 2 "COMPLETELY DIFFERENT" buttons, one to discharge 3 specials and another to start the perk chain queue you have learned to optimize from your frien... I mean, with the experience that comes from years of playing the toon. Much more better now, amirite? That must be the reason why AO's population is so different from years past.

What is stoping you from taking shortcut out of newbie area to backyards and playing from there only using old gear?
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Quote Originally Posted by Phante View Post
    dear fc,

what would it take for you to open an server with the very first version of AO? 2001 version of AO with some bug fixes. i bet that you will have more players than today.

i would play it. any1 else?
    Sadap and come back asap! n00by <3
    Clan FTW
    Master Veteran General Crusher "Forz"
    Neophyte Administrator "Buroz"
    Neophyte Sergeant "Rocketz"
    Novice "Nuketz"
    Apprentice "Pepitaz"
    Mentalist "Odinz"
    Novice "Forzjr"

“Two things are infinite: The Universe and Omni Solitus SB. And I'm not sure about the Universe.” (Albert L33tstein)

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpynoob View Post
    Because the original AO had coherent gameplay that does not exist anymore, even for froobs, and because people playing on that server would not have to put up with lazy froob haters, kill-stealing trolls or idiotic OP "gnaker gods".

A bug free original version would quickly surpass the existing game in popularity. And with updated graphics it would probably start to show on a few top 10 MMORPG lists.
    You've forgotten how bug ridden unbalanced and broken AO was at launch, nevermind how downright ruthless people were in the early days.
    http://nanoclan.com/dragonfly/
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Well even with bugs and Dragonfly (and the others...) the 2001 game was so much more enjoyable and fun to play, but, i don't think opening a 2001 server would turn back the time, it's not the same player anymore, not the same goals, and people won't like to spend days to level the way it was done (claw camp, shade camp, ninjas, single missions in teams, ...)

Quote Originally Posted by Infamine View Post
    Well even with bugs and Dragonfly (and the others...) the 2001 game was so much more enjoyable and fun to play, but, i don't think opening a 2001 server would turn back the time, it's not the same player anymore, not the same goals, and people won't like to spend days to level the way it was done (claw camp, shade camp, ninjas, single missions in teams, ...)
    And we are let's face it, looking at old AO through nostalgia-glasses; I would like to 15 years younger too heh, the MIT crowd that used to play, well their off running NASA etc now heh.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Caloss2 View Post
    You've forgotten how bug ridden unbalanced and broken AO was at launch, nevermind how downright ruthless people were in the early days.
    http://nanoclan.com/dragonfly/

Please read the 2nd paragraph of my post, thank you.

As for unbalanced, it is more unbalanced now. I mean, we have battlestations where leveling toons equipped with random crap go to "payvaypay" against twinks equipped with the best possible gear and they call it PvP. We have players hexalogging endgame equipped toons to do team content by themselves and sell loot and they call it a MMO. What balance is there now?

While I would by far prefer to see the existing game fixed than a relaunch of the original game, but at least the original game was a MMORPG. AO, as it is now, is FUBAR.

Please read the 2nd paragraph of my post, thank you.
    The second sentence ?
    That at best is a statement of hope, it certainly has nothing evidential to back it up, or is there an example of where re-launching a game in a backwards direction has revitalized that game ?

Quote Originally Posted by Caloss2 View Post
    And we are let's face it, looking at old AO through nostalgia-glasses; I would like to 15 years younger too heh, the MIT crowd that used to play, well their off running NASA etc now heh.
    Yeh true, looks more like nostalgia, as for balance, 2001 pvp was more unbalanced, we'll all be enforcers =P

with FC balance lacked and will lack for rest of game's days. maybe balance will come if the game will be bought by someone else...

from what i have seen on forums and also valid for this thread for each suggestion there is 3 to 1 against then pro however everyone is complaining about how bad the game is yet no one agrees with any change in any direction...

my suggestion was NOT to replace this existing game but to open an new server but with old content similar to old rubika and atlantean and forgot german server with the very same items that existed at the beginning. only improvement bug free and no multiboxing.

Quote Originally Posted by Forz View Post
    Sadap and come back asap! n00by <3
    i did and you ignored my messages ! now i rage quit again because of you!

Quote Originally Posted by Phante View Post
    with FC balance lacked and will lack for rest of game's days. maybe balance will come if the game will be bought by someone else...
    Who is going to buy an old dead MMO?

from what i have seen on forums and also valid for this thread for each suggestion there is 3 to 1 against then pro however everyone is complaining about how bad the game is yet no one agrees with any change in any direction...
    Probably because most of the suggestions on this forum are terrible, as is this one.
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

Quote Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
    Who is going to buy an old dead MMO?

Probably because most of the suggestions on this forum are terrible, as is this one.
    thank you for proving my point. Shatter Thought nano prog must be running on you...
    it is more then obvious that you did not played 2001-2003 AO so please stay out of something you have no clue about kthxbye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast