Thread: Best un-funded profession?

Question Best un-funded profession?

Hey,

In order to revitalize my interest in AO I wanted to put myself trough an challenge:
    Create and play a character that has no funding (or items) coming from my other characters.
    I have access to armor sets like the deluxe armor which I obviously don't want to use on this character.
    However, I would not have any issues with using armors like living cyber or newcomers despite them making it somewhat easier, as long as I had to work for it.

So essentially 100% genuine self-made, trade with other players is fine.

My question is:
    What profession would be best for this?

There would seem to be some obvious examples here like an Martial Artist to keep the costs down. But in general things like nano crystals and implants already cost more than what your run of the mill NPC's drop during leveling and there are alot of good NoDrop weapons from places like ToTW, Foremans, S7 and Sanctum.

Regardless, there needs to be opportunity for making credits as well, tradeskilling, blitizing, camping dyna's, whatever. Preferably something I can start doing around 60 or sooner.
    Something that the profession can preferably solo as generally making money is boring and it's hard to find friends for.

TL;DR:
    What profession for unfunded toon, want following:
    - Can kill something
    - Not having to buy all imps & nano's at all times
    - Possibility of free or cheap weapons while leveling
    - GOOD acces to moneymaking (e.g. blitzing, tradeskilling, buffing)
    Dear developers,

Rock is OP, paper is fine.

-Yours faithfully, Scissors

Shade

-Can kill anything
    -Uses a nano you get in the startup area (arete) to gain new spirits
    -Fear-forged blades from SoM, then basically Kyr'Ozch Energy Rapiers all the way
    -Can farm easily anything (especially at higher levels)
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

Quote Originally Posted by Jihnna View Post
    Shade
    Didn't really think about shade because of the general consensus that they're expensive to gear late game. But definitely something I could consider with SoM weapons and cheapo rapiers, thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep watching this thread for a day or two before making up my mind.
    Dear developers,

Expensive? Nah. I wouldn't say so anyway.

I think I've got a total of 5 mil into mine at 220. She's not fully decked out, but certainly playable.
    Vinkera - Soli NT - 426k DPM - Setup
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Lone anarchists - Tower of Babil

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Wondershot - Nano Soldier
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Trying out civilization - Storm

Shade is easiest...

Not long ago I made NT on RK2... Self funded to lvl 200ish then server merge happend.

Leveling is easy, killing easier.

Weapons? Quest items + nanos...

Another intresting project could be engineer...

Trader also cheap to gear, MA weapon is good....

Come to think of it.. All professions would work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

I recently did this, froob version. I made an agent, i basically looted everything i could get my hands on and made sure to combine monster parts into blood plasma for that extra creds. You really underestimate the price of implants and nanos in the early lvls.
    Valhall Guardians

Thapetowner 220 Meta-Physicist
    Hyimoliver 220 Soldier
    Ihatemyself 200 Shade
    Hardcore 200 Adventurer
    Ilovetokill 170 Agent
    Ilovetodrain 150 Trader
    Oxiahe 150 Doctor
    Critterz 150 Martial-Artist
    Awaaa 74 Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Coffay View Post
    Best un-funded profession?
    AO game Dev

Seriously though, Shade/MA
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Why not picking the worst and make it work ?

P.S. btw Coffay, your signature is absolutely insane !
    Last edited by PigBrother; Apr 27th, 2016 at 00:13:36.
    Operator : "Are we safe from russian hackers ?"
    Support : "Da"

my experience they're all close or equal till TL4 (not counting Pet classes,I don't play well with pets) in cost and maintaining, that's with no Org or friends.

Shade would be my Vote. Most of their items are not acquired with credits, they need to be farmed, NO implants, there is a large savings there

I'd have to throw out a vote for a Bureaucrat in this discussion! You can get by on a 'crat and do quite well without breaking the bank or going insane on gear.

You can calm your way through most all RK missions to get whatever pets & nano's you need. Can use free armor for most slots, free guns...You get charms so you're never really alone (admittedly it'd be nice of the Devs to take a look at those sometime, but they still have their uses even now).

All you really need to speed things up is a friendly MP and some NCU's....

Roll a 'Crat!
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Thanks everyone for your input!

Crat is another one I didn't really think off. I generally like pet classes early on but I'm afraid I won't like them so much without the best implants or nano's.
    I'm going to try my hand at shade, which seems to be the first one to come to mind for most here. I'll be rolling a opifex shortly
    Dear developers,

Reading this makes me want to try my shade out again, I think I only got it to lvl40 or something. So I wonder what I will be doing this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Keepbrave View Post
    Reading this makes me want to try my shade out again, I think I only got it to lvl40 or something. So I wonder what I will be doing this weekend
    - find out at what exact lvl you can pull lvl 58 team mishs
    - pull some and blitz to the boss if can in order to find Programmed Photon Particle Emitter (Shape Soft Armor)
    - if you found one - sell it in GMI

... just one of hundreds of ideas :P
    Operator : "Are we safe from russian hackers ?"
    Support : "Da"

@PigBrother what a cruel joke... That thing almost never drops... You can level faster to 220 than get that to drop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch