Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - April 2016 (Let's Talk)

FC has new money to play with, spends it on chasing rainbows; rather than working with what they have.

Grow up FC.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

It's not unreasonable to think that simply making improvements to the game overall will create the best word of mouth. What people complain about on the forums is not the same as real players in game.

Look at 18.7. That generated a pretty noticeable buzz, and got people playing again. Improving the engine, fixing bugs, and adding content will do better than trying to fix multiboxing, in my opinion.

The people complaining about it are in the minority. Everyone else just doesn't care about it, and only wants more fixes for bugs and new content.
    Vinkera - Soli NT - 426k DPM - Setup
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Lone anarchists - Tower of Babil

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Wondershot - Nano Soldier
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Trying out civilization - Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Vinkera View Post
    What people complain about on the forums is not the same as real players in game.
    This is a real problem, too. That's why I complain about the same things on the forums and in game.

It's not unreasonable to think that simply making improvements to the game overall will create the best word of mouth. What people complain about on the forums is not the same as real players in game.

Look at 18.7. That generated a pretty noticeable buzz, and got people playing again. Improving the engine, fixing bugs, and adding content will do better than trying to fix multiboxing, in my opinion.

The people complaining about it are in the minority. Everyone else just doesn't care about it, and only wants more fixes for bugs and new content.
    Bravo.
    'The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard.' - Steven Wright

I'm not sure it was your intent, but you are basically saying everyone who wants fair and accessible (tower) PvP do not matter. NW has been a huge part of AOs history and is one of its defining traits. I know all about vocal minorities and silent majorities, but it's a fallacy to just proclaim it as such and sweep it under the rug. There are some fundamental problems about MB in certain situations which is quite obvious from the way it creeps into almost every single thread. A lot of MB situations are borderline exploits, since they achieve something that was not intended in the game design.

You can choose to accept that, but what does that show new and returning players? You are underestimating people's sense of what's fair and just. Every single game community simply wants balance. They don't want to just go do whatever the flavour of the month is although those people do exist.
    Avari 220/30/80 - Araghos 220/30/80 - Shishido 220/30/7x - Araninn 220/30/80

Quote Originally Posted by Tergx
    If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.

Is MB only relevant in towers these days because 70 vs 70 towerwars are no longer done?

Quote Originally Posted by Avari View Post
    I'm not sure it was your intent, but you are basically saying everyone who wants fair and accessible (tower) PvP do not matter. NW has been a huge part of AOs history and is one of its defining traits. I know all about vocal minorities and silent majorities, but it's a fallacy to just proclaim it as such and sweep it under the rug. There are some fundamental problems about MB in certain situations which is quite obvious from the way it creeps into almost every single thread. A lot of MB situations are borderline exploits, since they achieve something that was not intended in the game design.

You can choose to accept that, but what does that show new and returning players? You are underestimating people's sense of what's fair and just. Every single game community simply wants balance. They don't want to just go do whatever the flavour of the month is although those people do exist.
    I'm well aware of what the majority want, and fixing NW isn't top on the list despite all the whining here. PVP'ers have historically cried on the forums over every little thing like it's the end of the world. Most people avoid the forums because of this.

The funny part is, last week PVP multiboxers were beaten multiple times and ultimately defeated, but no one mentioned that. Are you guys even playing??? I get the su****ion that a bunch aren't, but still posting on expired accounts. Maybe situations like that just aren't mentioned because it would make it look like less of a problem than it's being made out to be...

Funcom isn't as stupid as everyone seems to think. They know that "fixing" PVP multiboxing will likely negatively impact everyone in one way or another, but not doing anything will just leave those unhappy as they are. Overall, they're making the right choice. I'm pretty sure Michi knows how multibox tools work, which is why he never confidently proclaimed he could stop it. Again, smart move. Based on the posts I read, I'd say very few even have any idea how they work, and I'm not talking about a multiboxer who only uses Hotkey Net. If you did, you'd see what I mean, but forum rules prohibit discussing exploits, so I'd call it a gray area topic.

Either way, you guys have been making a fuss over it for years, but we still get PVM content instead. The silent majority wins, luckily. PVM content benefits all and not just a few at best, or condemn all at worst. Proof - 18.7/PoH/ICC daily's all got a lot of people playing, while /assist removal nerfed everyone.... Think about that.
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

The multiboxing issue can be fixed without harming any other part of the game. Simply make an official statement, like CCP did for EVE online, banning multiboxing from all PvP venues. Most multiboxers will stop in an instant as they do not want to risk their accounts. The ones who continue will be reported (and recorded by the players) through the petition system that is already in place. Accept that the number of petitions may be large at first, but will die down as people learn the consequences, and further decrease as multibox incidents are handled by the appropriate parties. This will not harm anyone in their PvM endeavors, and require no software implementation (which can be better utilized elsewhere).

Now you might argue that people will misuse the petition system, but without proper proof no action will be taken. Not unlike how exploits are handled. Tough luck to those who petitioned.

PVP'ers have historically cried on the forums over every little thing like it's the end of the world. Most people avoid the forums because of this.
    A lot of issues regarding both PvM and PvP are discussed on the forums. People may avoid the PvP discussions because they don't care, and I don't really see that as a problem. PvP is what keeps a lot of people in game. Once you've levelled to 220 a handful of times and done all the raids over and over again a lot of people turn to PvP, because it never offers the same experience twice. Don't underestimate that and certainly don't belittle it just because you may not agree.

You are entitled to your oppinion, but don't belittle other people's experience with the game just because you disagree.

PS. Of course MBers can be beaten. Especially if you have numbers. Problem is - what it takes 10-20 regular people to achieve in concert it takes 1-2 MBers to achieve the day after outside peak hours. That's the very definition of an exploit.

PPS. That's the last from me here.

If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.

PS. Of course MBers can be beaten. Especially if you have numbers. Problem is - what it takes 10-20 regular people to achieve in concert it takes 1-2 MBers to achieve the day after outside peak hours. That's the very definition of an exploit.
    This is another time im calling BS. Before MB was a thing or even a word, people were multi-logging 6-10 froob engi/crat accounts to take down towers. So either you dont know or choose to ignore the fact that the same thing can happen during off peak hours with out MB. That is not an exploit, its called superior numbers.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

A lot of issues regarding both PvM and PvP are discussed on the forums. People may avoid the PvP discussions because they don't care, and I don't really see that as a problem. PvP is what keeps a lot of people in game. Once you've levelled to 220 a handful of times and done all the raids over and over again a lot of people turn to PvP, because it never offers the same experience twice. Don't underestimate that and certainly don't belittle it just because you may not agree.

You are entitled to your oppinion, but don't belittle other people's experience with the game just because you disagree.

PPS. That's the last from me here.
    Sharing opinions is one thing, but these threads go past your average discussion.

Lately, every single post about anything is completely ruined with whines and cries about multiboxing. People seriously need to grow up and realize that if you pollute every single thread on the forum with the same crap, it's still not going to change anything. It's just making the forums a dreadful place overall.

I'm not sure what you think i'm disagreeing with you on, anyway. I'm giving you a reality check... Tower PVP is like... 1% of the game maybe? It's still important... But, if it's broken, it really isn't as big a deal as everyone here claims. People calling Funcom and their developers stupid is pretty much equivalent to a spoiled brat crying that they can't have their way.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowforcee View Post
    The multiboxing issue can be fixed without harming any other part of the game. Simply make an official statement, like CCP did for EVE online, banning multiboxing from all PvP venues. Most multiboxers will stop in an instant as they do not want to risk their accounts. The ones who continue will be reported (and recorded by the players) through the petition system that is already in place. Accept that the number of petitions may be large at first, but will die down as people learn the consequences, and further decrease as multibox incidents are handled by the appropriate parties. This will not harm anyone in their PvM endeavors, and require no software implementation (which can be better utilized elsewhere).

Now you might argue that people will misuse the petition system, but without proper proof no action will be taken. Not unlike how exploits are handled. Tough luck to those who petitioned.
    This is, by far, the most logical and reasonable solution. If Funcom did this in, let's say, a three strike policy, I'd support it. Once, kicked out for a few hours. Twice, kicked out for a few days. Three times, bai bai. Or, something like that anyway.

I hate pvp multiboxing probably as much as anyone else. I don't think it's fair at all for the victim. But, then again, I don't think it's wise to destroy the game to stop them. Funcom probably is tossing ideas around about it, but seriously... the angry mob approach seems just to be falling on deaf ears.

I'd say everyone should stop wasting their time posting the same thing every day, and every thread. Just play and have fun. If it's not fun anymore, go play something else.
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Hello. I just wanted to say I dont care about MB in NW because I stoped doing NW in 2011. Reason? FC keep killing Omni vs Clan Conflict, and I felt this game was most about it.
    When it comes to things that FC could do, along with some NE upgrades (tress, textures, crashing) and some froob support in progress. The Reck is good step, but FC needs to know, that if there are new people in the game, they will always follow experienced players, and experienced players do - after TOTW - borgs with OST or kite, and newcommer alone can not level in such way, so they end up not leveling. Thats why RK missoins needs more attention and LFT window needs to be something that people know from very first try of the game.
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Pomidor, experienced players now level in Reck, with amazing dailies there. Infact froobs tend to level even faster to 200, so many good scalable xp is avaliable.

And no need to do research. Leveling is nolonger an issue. More things to do, would be great.

New zones are such things. Froobs could use more love. Infact paid chars before 201 could use many a new item. New huds for example, new guns and blades... Etc. It would not hurt mid level population at all to get some endgame weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

I'm giving you a reality check... Tower PVP is like... 1% of the game maybe? It's still important... But, if it's broken, it really isn't as big a deal as everyone here claims.
    You might be correct that NW and PVP is 1% of the game, but it's the only challenge left in AO.

Everything else you do in game prepares you for that 1%... so if you take that away, the game is left feeling like a grind without challenge, a life of faith without redemption.

So sure, it's only 1%, but it's arguably the only 1% that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    You might be correct that NW and PVP is 1% of the game, but it's the only challenge left in AO.

Everything else you do in game prepares you for that 1%... so if you take that away, the game is left feeling like a grind without challenge, a life of faith without redemption.

Utter Nonsense. The game is as challenging as you make it. If you start the game off being carried by your 220's and being kited at hecks/borgs/tigs/etc and run round with a 220 alts healpet whilst levelling and equip your toons with prefarmed gear/imps/nanos then yes there is no challenge but dont complain that there isnt a challenge just because you refuse to be faced with any challenge.

You have said yourself in the past that you mb pvm to make getting gear a breeze for yourself and for your org members, so you not only remove your challenge for yourself but you do it for your org members too. tut tut

On one hand people like to equip the best they can for epeen constantly pushing the boundaries of what they can equip at what level whilst at the same time raising the expected standard of everybody else and then on the other hand complaining that there isnt any challenge lol..
    The only things of importance you will ever find in this life are only those things which you place importance upon!

I don't think he's correct. To me the "1% argument" is just a rhetorical trick to diminish value and sweep problems under the rug. Using the same argumentation Pande is like 0.001% of the game, so why should it matter? Why should we even care about something so insignificant? Indeed, NTs are just 7% (1/14 profs) of the game, so who the hell gives a damn about them? I think you get my point.

NW and PvP is 100% of the game to some people and 0% to others just as everything else. It's a little condescending to say "Your problem only affects a small part of the game, so it doesn't matter".

Quote Originally Posted by gresh View Post
    You have said yourself in the past that you mb pvm to make getting gear a breeze for yourself and for your org members, so you not only remove your challenge for yourself but you do it for your org members too.
    I've never said that. And I'll tell you why I can say with 100% certainty that I've never said that:

1. I'm way, WAY, WWWWAAAAAYYYY too greedy to simply do stuff for others
    2. there are so few orgmates that are online at the same time as me
    3. I have never, ever had the time to "get gear" for my orgmates - far from it, in fact, because when I did MB in PVM, which was 2-3 years ago, the main thing I was doing was farming mitaar before the drop change on weapon upgrades, so I was farming credits, and I would never give credits to someone so he could buy gear... that's just weird.

So, without good evidence on topics like this, you'd best not make assumptions.

Also, while I consider you an idiot and I fail at my own logic of not arguing with idiots, I'll just point out to you that I am not "raising the expected standard", I'm simply pointing out that what could you possibly grind for if not to face a greater challenge?

Is beast the "ultimate" challenge?

Do you "beat the game" when beast dies?

If you beat the game, then we should all turn off AO and uninstall it after beating beast... right? Because that's what happens with Super Mario Bros. When you beat bowser.... you're like, "hell yah" and then you go make a peanut butter sandwich and tell your buddy that you did in half the time last week.

But beast isn't the final challenge is it? And neither is S42.

So what is the challenge you speak of? Are you keeping AO challenging by rolling a rifle shade? Because there's challenging, and there's stupid, and by all rights, that's just stupid.

Mate stop talking nonsense.

I've never said that. And I'll tell you why I can say with 100% certainty that I've never said that:

1. I'm way, WAY, WWWWAAAAAYYYY too greedy to simply do stuff for others
    2. there are so few orgmates that are online at the same time as me
    3. I have never, ever had the time to "get gear" for my orgmates - far from it, in fact, because when I did MB in PVM, which was 2-3 years ago, the main thing I was doing was farming mitaar before the drop change on weapon upgrades, so I was farming credits, and I would never give credits to someone so he could buy gear... that's just weird.
    ^^ The above seems to completely contradict a previous post you made. It also seems youve invented time travel and are currently posting from the future as this post was only written a little over a year ago my time. simple lies.

1. got a WU - sold to orgmate for half the market value (I even had a bid on it that was 50% more than what he paid)
    2. Introduced an orgmate to an instance where I was able to explain it pre/post , then do it a second time to get him more acquainted with it (and got him a nanodeck thingy and a new offense board, and some new symbs
    3. got another orgmate a defensive board
    4. sold a few pieces of gear to some lower SL dinged toons for a very decent price
    5. Built a 12 man team (I played doc/crat/enf/keeper) so I could invite a broad range of toons who otherwise may have found it difficult to get an invite to 12m due to some prof restrictions
    6. 1 person wanted leg, 1 person wanted multicolour screwdriver, instead of rolling on items and /selling lootrights or whatever else I appreciate that people need the stuff, so I just said, as raid leader that those people could have those items, rest of stuff was FFA
    7. gave some advice and let a few orgmates know I'd be happy to help them in APF in the next couple days
    8. logged off

Everything I do in game I try to include people who want to do the activity. Two nights ago, I included a fella in org who needed a Wu in my activities. We didn't get one, but if we had I was prepared to give it to him for his efforts in participating. Last week a guy asked if he could join and said he needed a WU. I understand that people have a hard time getting stuff and if they don't have 300m to try to get a WU by LR I'd rather help them out than send them packing.

It doesn't help the game for people to be *******s.

I'd much rather use my box to enable my org, to build relationships, to help, coach and build capability, to enhance play, to enhance and build opportunity. But to assume that all boxers only want to solo play and hoard and gank and dominate NW is pretty short sighted.
    That isnt even the post I was looking for but just happened to fit the criteria of evidence that I needed. So apparently youve said on at least two occasions.

You say without evidence, I'd better not make assumptions but an assumption is a statement that has no evidence.. that is why it is assumed. If you dont understand, just say and I will offer examples. As the above shows, I didnt make an assumption, I made it from remembering a post of yours that I read which is a statement based on evidence. You say I shouldnt make assumptions (when I didnt) and then go on to make massive assumptions about what I said. You make assumptions about what I said because you lack the ability to grasp what I meant... why not just ask me to explain further instead of making yourself look stupid.

Is beast the "ultimate" challenge?
    Lol Completely depends on your definition of "ultimate" challenge but no although that is an assumption as to what I meant.

Do you "beat the game" when beast dies?
    Completely depends on your definition of beating the game but not in my book. Again, another assumption with regards to what I meant.

If you beat the game, then we should all turn off AO and uninstall it after beating beast... right? Because that's what happens with Super Mario Bros. When you beat bowser.... you're like, "hell yah" and then you go make a peanut butter sandwich and tell your buddy that you did in half the time last week.

But beast isn't the final challenge is it? And neither is S42.
    Again, with the maronic assumptions.

So what is the challenge you speak of? Are you keeping AO challenging by rolling a rifle shade? Because there's challenging, and there's stupid, and by all rights, that's just stupid.
    HAHAHA so thats the options for the definition of challenge? PVP, Killing beast, s42 or rolling a rifle shade?

What is stupid is trying to think up an unrealistic reality and attaching it to what I said just to try and give yourself a reason to call me stupid. I agree with you, rolling a rifle shade is stupid.. that was a creation of you mind, not mine.

Doing things without MB is one way of increasing the challenge (Just a heads up).
    The game wasnt designed to have all the end game gear that is now in game... the newer gear makes the game less challenging because they make your character more able to kill the required content... or in otherwords... MAKE THE GAME EASIER. Not using end game gear... would be one way of increasing the challenge. Doing it with less people, doing it with out using the required profs would make it more challenging. (I am not suggesting that you dont equip the end game gear, doing it with less people or by using the non required profs but just merely suggesting other methods of increasing the challenge). There is challenge in having end game gear but getting a team of people who arnt well equipped through content they arent equipped for, like say... to get them the equipment needed to do the end game content competently. These are by no means an exhaustive list. You and others like you have complained at the lack of decently geared people to play alongside. Elitist snobbish comments cussing out the less fortunate... we have had whole servers worth of people leave so such snobbish attitudes arnt as frequent these days because these days pretty much everyone has the gear needed or at least farms the gear with friends and orgs as opposed to random pick up groups but the lack of challenge in this game is not so much a fault of the game but rather a fault of the minds of the whining whingebags over the years that have cried out for it to get easier by demanding everybody has the correct "defacto" gear. People complain (snubbing challenge) that the competancy level of people they play alongside is crap on one hand (which offers challenge) and then on the other hand cries their poor lil eyes out because their is no challenge.

It seems there are a few players in game that cant grasp the idea of doing content just to have fun.. not so much finding enjoyment in the killing of the actual mobs but more in the fun they have with the players they play alongside whilst they complete the ingame content. A staple argument from pvpers .. to do pvp... is that there is no fun killing a computer controlled mob that cant think for itself.. that there is no challenge... but this pvmers standpoint, there is no fun in killing a player. What could you possibly gain. Epeen? a kill count? an over inflated ego? a self imposed image of self importance? lol good for you? People like you think it is either you enjoy pvp or you enjoy killing a mob lol... It stands to reason that the characteristic of the person who enjoys pvp is anti-social and self orientated but it beggars belief that an intelligent being can not grasp the simple concept of the world being bigger than themselves. (i.e their own personal likes/dislikes not being shared by everyone).

I'll just point out to you that I am not "raising the expected standard", I'm simply pointing out that what could you possibly grind for if not to face a greater challenge?
    Oh but you have continued to do this for years, every time you have demanded that somebody read a guide, everytime you have demanded that soembody look up a cookie cutter set up, every time you have advised somebody on some perceived set up or another is raising the standard. By refusing to let people learn on their own or coming to their own conclusions or by playing the game they wish to play... you are raising that standard and there are many posts of you and many other elitest gear snobs doing this over the years.
    The only things of importance you will ever find in this life are only those things which you place importance upon!

I don't think he's correct. To me the "1% argument" is just a rhetorical trick to diminish value and sweep problems under the rug. Using the same argumentation Pande is like 0.001% of the game, so why should it matter? Why should we even care about something so insignificant? Indeed, NTs are just 7% (1/14 profs) of the game, so who the hell gives a damn about them? I think you get my point.

NW and PvP is 100% of the game to some people and 0% to others just as everything else. It's a little condescending to say "Your problem only affects a small part of the game, so it doesn't matter".
    Again, this is just like more whining. Next, you'll be taking a personal jab at me, because I've somehow personally insulted you by pointing out the reality. You forum pvp'ers are all the same. The truth just hurts sometimes I guess. Aren't 86% of statistics made up on the spot?

MKS, you're one of the few people here who I feel I could have an intelligent disagreement and discussion with. I understand what you're saying.

I've never had good experiences with towers myself. Sure, I could go ahead and blame PVP level ranges, etc for it, but I never really did it with a legit group. That's the reason I personally don't care to do towers, but then again, I don't discourage my org mates or anyone else from doing them.

I'd say though, if I were to get into towers more, I'd do what I can to prepare for anything. That includes how to deal to with multiboxers. Because, I know the synergy and power that multiboxing provides, but also how it can go wrong if x, y, or z happen. Let's say... me and 3 bros are going after some org's towers, but a guy rolls up with 6 toon multibox... It sounds like a decent challenge to me. 6 toons vs 1 (side note, players soloing tower fields on a single toon sounds pretty broken to begin with.), its not fair at all. But, that would be 4 players vs one. Who is that not fair for? The guy who logged more toons or the guys who out number him in reality?
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Next, you'll be taking a personal jab at me, because I've somehow personally insulted you by pointing out the reality.
    You're the one escalating your rhetorics tbh. You just took a personal jab at me through "you forum PvP'ers" and "this is just whining". You also neglected legitimate concerns by saying "it's only 1% of the game" (you're talking about making up statistics, eh?). You've clearly stated that you dislike PvP and favor PvM, which is great, but it just makes it more obvious that you are unable to identify with the problems people are voicing.

The post you quoted me on was me refuting that you can make up percentages on the spot and conclude that "it doesn't matter". You write about "the truth hurts". Your truth seems to be that people should just accept MB and broken PvP and move on. What kind of attitude is that to have for a professional who is supposed to help develop the game for the whole community on behalf of his profession?

Late edit:
    I just read over the past 3-5 of my posts in this thread just to see where you might think I'm whining and about to attack you personally. I know I can be unreasonable at times just like everyone else, but reading your posts and my own on the last 1-2 pages I really think you should take a close look at what you are accusing me of and how you yourself are writing. I'm not the one escalating or making up facts.
    Last edited by Avari; May 30th, 2016 at 16:51:30.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast