Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anarchy Online Concept Art collection! Let's contribute to preserve game history.

Anarchy Online Concept Art collection! Let's contribute to preserve game history.

Hey there!

I'm sure some of you have noticed that the game we all are (still) playing has reached three days ago it's 15th anniversary!
    I love looking back in time to see the history, and this is why I've been looking at old concept art, noticing there's pretty much no exhaustive concept art compilation to be found!
    I did search for an Art book, but found out one was never released for Anarchy Online, pity. Then, I took it to the internet and found out AO-Universe has a collection of images, but not complete. Finding a few pieces here and there, I had an idea.

Why not start a collection, to share with people, make it a gallery, sorting and trying to find the highest quality images that are still around, and propose a crowd effort so people can find and add pieces of art that aren't already or are of a higher quality.

Thus, I present you the gallery:
    I have taken to the internet and reached out to some far corners of it to bring you whatever Anarchy Online concept art I could find, in the highest quality available. That meant looking around Portfolios (I found a few artists that worked on AO that shared their art), around Google, AO-Universe, around old FTPs and sites, some dark corner of the internet, and other methods to bring what's in there.

Take a look, I'm sure there are people who haven't seen Anarchy Online concept art before ( or parts of it! ). The Shadowlands art is particularly unique.

I'll be sorting the pictures in the upcoming days and trying to add references to artists. All the art is owned by Funcom or the artist that made it, I am not distributing it or making money, just centralizing it for it not to be lost in the depths of the internet.

If people have art or development videos/screenshots and wish to contribute, please, do so! PM or thread it. Maybe we can convince Funcom or Michi to pitch a release for a 20th anniversary Collector's Edition Artbook :P in a few years!

HISTORY:
    30.06.2016:
    -- Made the gallery

02.07.2016:
    -- Partial sort of gallery
    -- Added AO Special Edition Bonus disc content + ISO ( TY Slackin )
    -- Added contents of Funcom FTP ( TY Yumehime )

03.07.2016:
    -- Added 10 concept arts not found on web (./to_find/concept_ao_classic pictures), marked as TO FIND
    -- Started work on identifying what I could + adding artists
    -- Added more various concept arts
    -- Added 2 concept arts from Michizure's Twitter
    -- Added hidden Lost Eden concept arts from old Funcom AO website

15.07.2016:
    -- Added all game ISOs ( TY Mastablasta ) (discs folders)
    -- Added Classic game box print template (./media/other)
    -- Added more New Engine heads (./development\engine_upgrade\new_heads)
    -- Added some New Engine screenshots showcasing updating nano effects (./development\engine_upgrade\new_cc_rough_XX.jpg)

18.07.2016:
    -- Added 2 more concept arts not found on web. From old AO website flash file (./to_find/slX.png)
    -- Added scanned box art for Classic box + game manual/keyboard layout ( TY Mastablasta )

20.07.2016:
    -- Added all the game CDs, Sleeved box art, Help manuals, ( TY Mastablasta x2!)
    -- Added high QL Shadowlands map PSD/jpg in shadowlands/maps/shadowlands_map_clean
    -- Sorted this thread to hotlink TO FIND images, maybe people can find them if they can see them
    -- Indexed all unknown artwork image headers from archived AO website
    -- Added an Alien Invasion Game Guide

22.07.2016:
    -- Fixed static thumbnails

29.07.2016:
    -- Renamed most of SL artwork to proper given names.
    -- Removed hdrContact from to find ( was scaled & stretched off LoX concept ), hdrFansites = back of exterior SL case
    -- Added 2 SL concepts into to find (sl3.jpg and sl4.jpg)
    -- Digged deep into IGN and found 16 updated high resolution SL artwork ( Including the 2 above )
    -- Found hdrFansites from to find, removed it and added the concept to the SL folder ( 487386-s_016.jpg ). It's the one on the behind of the SL box.
    -- Found hdrCharacters, was a classic AO concept, probably by Vebjorn_Strommen, published in a magazine. Header was rotated and scaled, so removed from to find, and added magazine page as "ao_girl.png".
    -- Found 7 pictures on Michizure's Twitter, was able to get 2 new concepts, 2 new development pictures, and 3 higher res pictures.

24.12.2016:
    -- Added a few logos for Expansions from the new website.
    -- Tidied up the gallery, removed duplicates.

12.01.2017:
    -- Added an unreleased Phasefront Racing Track preview from AO's unofficial Facebook.

-- Posted on Steam as a guide
    -- Added new Analytics link

-- Added bitnykk's Rubi Ka map, thanks.
    -- Added higher ress AO Babe by Vebjørn Strømmen
    -- Added 3 never before seen concept arts by Ole Jacob Kielland
    -- Added 1 never before seen concept art from Markersketches

-- Happy 1 year anniversary!
    -- Added Shadowlands Language translation.
    -- Touched up some other images.
    TO FIND:
    These are concept arts I did not find a source for, were never released or shown. They only appear in brief videos, part of other works or mentioned. Higher res in gallery.

-- https://forums.anarchy-online.com/sh...012-is-delayed <- I have no idea what concept art is this. It had something to do with the new player experience. ( EDIT: I assume it was the latest concept art I posted ? )

-- 10 classic concepts
    1. 2. 3. 4. 5.

6. 7. 8. 9. 10.
    -- 2 SL concepts
    1. 2.
    -- few more hidden concepts in the old AO website, header images
    1. 2. 3.
    4. 5. 6.
    Last edited by Timba; Jul 2nd, 2017 at 22:58:17.
    Anarchy Online Concept Art Gallery
    Lazy "Timba" Sabretooth - 220/30/80 - Fire kitty
    Very "Timbats" Much - 220/22/xx - Tradeskiller for hire!
    Timbamf - xx/xx/xx - upcoming tanky
    Spray "Airwick" Alloveryou - 60/6/14

What a great idea! I bet there are some gems out there which will be interesting to see.

Thanks for the efforts
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Wonderful thread, thanks for this, more wallpaper material!
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

The removal of the portal room between Jobe and the Shadowlands was a real tragedy, and it is nice to see it documented in images.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Never seen Kaneko Garden before, I suppose it's not ingame?
    Valhall Guardians

Thapetowner 220 Meta-Physicist
    Hyimoliver 220 Soldier
    Ihatemyself 200 Shade
    Hardcore 200 Adventurer
    Ilovetokill 170 Agent
    Ilovetodrain 150 Trader
    Oxiahe 150 Doctor
    Critterz 150 Martial-Artist
    Awaaa 74 Soldier

Very nice job, Timba Memories...
    Chrisax
    MP 220, AL 30, Research 70, active, Born on Rimor
    In AO since 2001
    Founder and elected President of Athen Paladins
    www.athenpaladins.org
    Member of the Clerical Staff of the Council of Truth

I love these kind of art . bump for a release of an AO art book.
    "Don't think...feel, it's like a finger pointing towards the moon"

Nice collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    The removal of the portal room between Jobe and the Shadowlands was a real tragedy, and it is nice to see it documented in images.
    Seems like they have re-used it for the pyramid portal to final boss? At least it looks very similar to the concept art (never saw the original one).

And the "christmas tree" mediblade which was used a few patches ago seems to be reuse of old concept art.

Yeah I was going to say, the area before the 4th boss in PoH has an almost identical replica of that (massively scaled down though).

Really nice collection btw!

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Thank you. I'll work on sorting it this weekend.

Anyone have the Special Edition CD to extract the concept art gallery from there? I can't find any ISOs on the internet sadly

"For the fans we have approx. 50 concept arts of things both to come and that was 5 years ago."

Could add I guess Prophet without Honor to the gallery as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Timba View Post

Anyone have the Special Edition CD to extract the concept art gallery from there? I can't find any ISOs on the internet sadly
    I've poked a friend about it, he'll have a dig through his old boxes once it's not 3-30am for him. Will update you as he does
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

I have the original DVDs (AO, NW, SL) in the DVD boxes, can scan all of the contents if you'd like.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Aiken View Post
    I've poked a friend about it, he'll have a dig through his old boxes once it's not 3-30am for him. Will update you as he does
    Thanks I'm sure we could add whatever we find to make a more complete collection!

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    I have the original DVDs (AO, NW, SL) in the DVD boxes, can scan all of the contents if you'd like.
    It would be awesome if you could possibly scan them. I think I only found the Special Edition box art ( outside ), and AI box art (front only) in the gallery. It would be awesome to add all the others as well.

Would it be possible to create ISOs of the disc images and share them? I could add them to a server or even host it on the same Google Drive if people ever needed them.

Small update.

With the benevolence of some people ( Thanks Yumehime & Slackin ), I have managed to initially sort the gallery, add the Anarchy Online bonus disc image and contents to it. I will be looking into a FTP I received to see what can be added / updated. Still looking for bits I don't have to add them if people are interested in sharing!

Thank you everyone for making this a crowd effort

Another small update Added 10 never-before-seen concept sketches/art pieces from a very very old video into the to_find folder.

Maybe the community can help identify or find them in high quality

I have started to try and identify artwork by adding artists to their pieces. Most I won't be able to find, due to no signatures.
    Last edited by Timba; Jul 30th, 2016 at 21:52:28.

Another update with more concepts in each area, two LoX concept arts from Michizure's Twitter ( Please release more! ), some hidden concept arts on the old anarchy online website (Lost Eden mostly)

Pretty much the internet is getting exhausted I hope more people share!

Quote Originally Posted by Oliveerz View Post
    Never seen Kaneko Garden before, I suppose it's not ingame?
    It looks a bit similar to the old SL starting area for Keepers and Shades.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

https://goo.gl/photos/CK6PUGGGpCueHRaB8 dug them out of the basement I'll take them to work tomorrow and work on scanning the stuff.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Also here are images for all the CDs: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...HM&usp=sharing
    The Red Brotherhood

Thank you, got them all.
    Just added them to the respective folders and will check them tomorrow for goodies!

Thanks a bunch! Awesome having all the physical editions of the game

//edit: Sadly, scanned them. They only contained the relevant installers for each edition, no new goodies or hidden ones. The AO Bonus Edition CD remains the only one with goodies. That one is in the classic/discs/AOBonusCD.iso

Could you possibly Scan/Photograph the following:
    - Back cover of Classic case;
    - Back cover of Shadowlands case;
    - Back cover of Notum Wars case;
    - Back cover of Alien Invasion case;
    - All interiors ( if detailed or anything inside them? )

I recently found only one printable cover, probably the one used for printing the boxes, located at media\other\usflapbox.pdf

//edit2: Added some new heads into development\engine_upgrade\new_heads . Who knew they actually got them ingame at one point, and are sitting on them probably right now :P

//edit3: Browsing AO Universe, I found some very interesting things. Seems at one point, it was planned to introduce/update new nano effects in the game. Check out development\engine_upgrade\new_cc_rough_01.jpg to 03!

//edit4: Anyone know where to find the concept art from https://forums.anarchy-online.com/sh...012-is-delayed ? All attachments I found were dead.
    Last edited by Timba; Jul 15th, 2016 at 02:00:58.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast