Thread: Newly returned player :D running AO in mac?

Question Newly returned player :D running AO in mac?

Hey peoples!

So ive gotten myself an Macbook Air that im confident would run AO well (spec wise). Any of you playing on a mac? I would love it if someone could tell me how to do it, i have no experience with Mac and the different programs needed to run Windows stuff (ive searched the internet and saw some info but getting someone that has it running TODAY explain to me would be very, very appreciated.)

You can try Crossover. It's been a long time since I've used Mac, but I would assume that's a good option.

I hear Clan mission agency is super laggy in WINE related things like Crossover, but everything else is fine.
    Vinkera - Soli NT - 426k DPM - Setup
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Lone anarchists - Tower of Babil

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Wondershot - Nano Soldier
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Trying out civilization - Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Vinkera View Post
    You can try Crossover. It's been a long time since I've used Mac, but I would assume that's a good option.

I hear Clan mission agency is super laggy in WINE related things like Crossover, but everything else is fine.
    Oh specifically the clan agency huh? Thats odd... but its an old engine ofcourse hehe. Ive downloaded Crossover and will try it and see how it works. Since it isnt free (ive downloaded a 14 day trial) ill most likely just use it during that time. I have an actual PC its just very comfy to have a laptop option too!

There is some free version of WINE for Mac that likely works the same, but I don't really know your level of technical experience. So, i recommended what I recall as the easiest option. You may consider looking into it if your somewhat savvy.

My buddy uses AO on Linux with WINE and says the clan agency is the only issue he runs into at all (Unexplained oddities are what define AO and Funcom, don't they?). Old engine, of course. New engine doesn't work at all as I understand it.
    Vinkera - Soli NT - 426k DPM - Setup
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Lone anarchists - Tower of Babil

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Wondershot - Nano Soldier
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Trying out civilization - Storm

I play AO on my MacBook Air. I use playonmac.com and I use 1.9.4 Wine. Works a treat. BUT... occasionally the video flickers like crazy.... the work around is to command-tab in and out of the app, or use the sound up/down buttons to fix it. Also the clan agency is laggy, just as Vinkera stated. PlayOnMac is free, and slightly clunky - but it's cool. I couldn't get the new engine to work.

i just made a new participation and installed windows on it. works like a charm. only problem im having is that my mac book pro runs concerningly hot when i play ao/games.