Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Good Soloer

Cool The Good Soloer

And now, time for something fun...

Many professions are often noted as being "Good Soloer's", but what does that really mean? Some professions are clearly better than others, and all can be "good". But, what is "good" exactly, I mean... What's the benchmark?

Well, in my opinion, "good soloers" can stand toe-to-toe with a boss that is considerably higher level than them. They can endure an extended fight using their own damage mitigation / heals to survive longer than the RNG gods would bless them for. They are self-buffed, not in a team, and not using any outside help of any kind.

The benchmark for the "good soloer" may be debatable, but I've chosen Scary Spider as my personal test based on a general consensus. He's not a complicated fight, but has enough HP to not leave much to chance. If you beat him, you definitely didn't get lucky the whole time. One aspect of him that makes for a good fight is, he has noticeable streaks of landing hit after hit in a row. However, with the right build, anyone can do it.

So AO community, let's have some fun... Make a video and show off your stuff. Show me your favorite toon soloing Scary Spider, and solidify your place in our Forum of Fame as a "Good Soloer".

The simple rules:
    - Your toon is self buffed.
    - You aren't in a team.
    - You have no outside help of any kind on Scary Spider, himself. (calming a stray add with an alt is ok, since this tends to happen around Scary Spider often)

Here's my personal entry: My Soldier, Wondershot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gznrWD8ojMg

Extra points will be awarded for professions that typically aren't good soloers.

[Disclaimer: Points are a limited-time offer, non-negotiable, non-transferable, not awarded with the intention of giving out any kind of prize, and have no intrinsic value to anyone at all. If you are awarded points and feel they are a complete scam, you should, because they are.]

Some helpful stuff:
    - I used Fraps to record my video, but if you don't have a recording program I'd say give Bandicam a try if you'd like to get a free program. Others may have better ideas, but this looks like it would work ok. https://www.bandicam.com/downloads/
    - I used VSDC Free Video Editor to add music and titles to mine. It might be a little complicated, but here's a link to it, too. http://www.videosoftdev.com/free-video-editor

Happy Soloing, and may the odds be ever in your favor!

The Good Soloer's:
    - Footerdoc (Doc)
    - Timba (Advy)
    - Pricecuts (Trader)
    - Wondershot (Soldier)
    Last edited by Vinkera; Sep 7th, 2016 at 11:53:03.
    Vinkera - Soli NT - 426k DPM - Setup
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Lone anarchists - Tower of Babil

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Wondershot - Nano Soldier
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Trying out civilization - Storm

For capture get OBS, or if you have an nvidia 600+ use shadowplay.
    Fraps is very very out of date these days.
    OBS studio under win10 can use the nvenc encoder built into the nvidia card and also record two separate audio tracks.
    This means it records in H.264 using the .mp4 container which is what youtube etc use.

I'll throw up a guide on using it for AO later.
    Guide for using shadowplay to capture AO. :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtipcGhAumE
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinkera View Post
    Extra points will be awarded for professions that typically aren't good soloers.
    Which ones ? Not that I'm willing to make vids, but I'd like to know what (you) people think are good and bad soloers atm.

Nice vid anyway, funny (and very interesting) to see how a raw tanking prof gets 60/70% miss in the end. Even if it's quite obvious, I'd like to know your soldier's setup =)

Too bad this kind of soloing vid is already boring as hell (docs' soloing vids omggggg), and on top of that, sound (nobody would call this "music" right ?) always has to be turned off asap, not only because a matter of taste, but because the rythm is absolutely disconnected from what's happening on screen (hit specials, hit perks, wait on CD, repeat until you fall asleep/the HP bar is empty)
    Last edited by appolonia; Jul 31st, 2016 at 12:00:44.
    220/70/30 OpiFix - Useless PVM Ex RK Queen
    220/80/30 TroxDoc - Alpha Brain @soon !
    220/80/30 SoliEngi - TSing everything
    220/70/30 SoliTrader - MA >>>> Shottie
    220/80/30 Crat - Why the hell do other profs still exist ?

And tons of alts !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZOksQvJVxI
    From a while back, but it's not like shades are not known as great solo-ers.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by appolonia View Post
    Which ones ? Not that I'm willing to make vids, but I'd like to know what (you) people think are good and bad soloers atm.
    By my definition, anything you wouldn't typically try to solo something as tough as Scary Spider with wouldn't be on the good list unless they can beat him. Personally, I think it would be cool to see Agent (not in doc or advy FP), Enf, Engi, or Fixer do it, but anyone is welcome to.

Boring or not, take the opportunity to show off a bit.
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Done it before on my MA Trader. Can't login to record atm though
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinkera View Post
    By my definition, anything you wouldn't typically try to solo something as tough as Scary Spider with wouldn't be on the good list unless they can beat him. Personally, I think it would be cool to see Agent (not in doc or advy FP), Enf, Engi, or Fixer do it, but anyone is welcome to.

Boring or not, take the opportunity to show off a bit.
    Engi's been pushed up the ladder since 18.7, might be me but I find soloing LOTV and Mitaar ( <- daltonian ) far more rewarding than Scary (adds apart). I'd trade engi for NT in the low soloers, but you sure know better than I

As for recording, I wouldn't impose my 17'/monochromic filtered/large GUI to anybody, not saying about my musical taste ;p People knowing how my screen looks are horrified ^^

For the matter, unless there are some tricky parts, playing the vids at higher speed might ****e things a bit for most profs (those upper soloers), or editing them so we get the first steps of the fight / reminder of basic mechanics then get straight back to the last bubbles, Scary being quite a "totem" mob.
    220/70/30 OpiFix - Useless PVM Ex RK Queen
    220/80/30 TroxDoc - Alpha Brain @soon !
    220/80/30 SoliEngi - TSing everything
    220/70/30 SoliTrader - MA >>>> Shottie
    220/80/30 Crat - Why the hell do other profs still exist ?

And tons of alts !

Clan FTW
    Master Veteran General Crusher "Forz"
    Neophyte Administrator "Buroz"
    Neophyte Sergeant "Rocketz"
    Novice "Nuketz"
    Apprentice "Pepitaz"
    Mentalist "Odinz"
    Novice "Forzjr"

“Two things are infinite: The Universe and Omni Solitus SB. And I'm not sure about the Universe.” (Albert L33tstein)

The only thing I've managed to solo that is pretty hard/tiresome to do is DB2 on my Advy, but it took over an hour, which is pretty insane. If they would finally give us better taunts, we could practice tanking stuff and actually gathering defensive items for lizard tanking

I'll give that Scary Spider a shot this week.
    Anarchy Online Concept Art Gallery
    Lazy "Timba" Sabretooth - 220/30/80 - Fire kitty
    Very "Timbats" Much - 220/22/xx - Tradeskiller for hire!
    Timbamf - xx/xx/xx - upcoming tanky
    Spray "Airwick" Alloveryou - 60/6/14

I know, engis are OP to solo most of the stuff, like I've done DB3 fire room as Forz too, Mitaar, Vortexx, 12m after adds, beast with trader (had to GTH beast), DB1/DB2, Gauntlet. Think the game is too easy?
    Ciassene

Quote Originally Posted by Ciassene View Post
    Think the game is too easy?
    The game is too sploited.
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

I soloed Scary on enf ... very easy but long enough to not consider enf a good soloer. Yes enf can solo, but the time .. please
    I can invite you in game Vink to see the soloing proces on enf, because I don't have the tools to make the vid.
    Operator : "Are we safe from russian hackers ?"
    Support : "Da"

Quote Originally Posted by PigBrother View Post
    I soloed Scary on enf ... very easy but long enough to not consider enf a good soloer. Yes enf can solo, but the time .. please
    I can invite you in game Vink to see the soloing proces on enf, because I don't have the tools to make the vid.
    The video, or at least saying you did (although this will net far less points), is the point.

I know enf can solo Scary Spider, I know everything can. Everyone loves to show off how much they know, here's a chance to show off how well you play your favorite toon.

So far, only my Soldier and arguably Raggy's Trader are qualified "Good Soloer's". I'm not turning a blind eye to the links everyone else posted, but that's not what I asked for :P
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

This is my kitty. No coon, bio-r, or tanking stuff on. Took 8m20s.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_thkBMGDH8
    Last edited by Timba; Aug 1st, 2016 at 23:05:45.
    Anarchy Online Concept Art Gallery
    Lazy "Timba" Sabretooth - 220/30/80 - Fire kitty
    Very "Timbats" Much - 220/22/xx - Tradeskiller for hire!
    Timbamf - xx/xx/xx - upcoming tanky
    Spray "Airwick" Alloveryou - 60/6/14

Quote Originally Posted by Timba View Post
    This is my kitty. No coon, bio-r, or tanking stuff on. Took 8m20s.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_thkBMGDH8
    Nicely done.
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Can we solo a different mob? And what do you consider self buffed? Does 12m and gauntlet buff count? Maybe throw out some other ideas on mobs to solo.

Quote Originally Posted by MachSchau View Post
    Can we solo a different mob? And what do you consider self buffed? Does 12m and gauntlet buff count? Maybe throw out some other ideas on mobs to solo.
    I have the next mob in mind. If more people participate, the next one will be a bit harder for different reasons than just surprise hit rates sometimes. Consider Scary Spider throwing out a line, and seeing who bites.

12man buff, etc. That's a good question... Let's say, it's fair, but results in a few less points.
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Where is scary spider? *Hides*
    Will do one when i next get a chance, probably wednesday.
    It will be my doc, so probably slow as i dont know HP. LOTV would be good to solo too

Quote Originally Posted by Footer View Post
    Where is scary spider? *Hides*
    Will do one when i next get a chance, probably wednesday.
    It will be my doc, so probably slow as i dont know HP. LOTV would be good to solo too
    He's a short stroll down from the trial area in Inf. A bit north of some LOTV's.

There are some impostor mobs that are named "Scary Spider"(they will be orange to a 220). The real Scary Spider is down the hill a bit from them.
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Did it on a pistol MP. Unfortunately, no video as I'm no longer wielding pistols. I could go do it again, but 1hb would be obvious easy mode, since I could just dual wield SoZ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast