Thread: Noobie questions from the ultimate noob

Noobie questions from the ultimate noob

Hey all, I have a couple of questions again about this game.

1- is there a macro I can set so I can have my toon sit use a heal Pack and then stand in one shot?

2- are there Quest linear meaning does it tell you to go from one NPC to the next or do I have to guess which NPC to go to next, and do I have to do the quests or is there a way that I can just level grinding mobs?And do you recommend doing side quest as well?

3- last question is there a hotkey to use when using the Def-Agg slider as opposed to using the mouse?

P.S. how does one differentiate the main quest from the side quests?
    Last edited by Antmf612; Aug 8th, 2016 at 19:18:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Antmf612 View Post

1- is there a macro I can set so I can have my toon sit use a heal Pack and then stand in one shot?

2- are there Quest linear meaning does it tell you to go from one NPC to the next or do I have to guess which NPC to go to next, and do I have to do the quests or is there a way that I can just level grinding mobs?And do you recommend doing side quest as well?

3- last question is there a hotkey to use when using the Def-Agg slider as opposed to using the mouse?

1) I'm not aware of a built-in macro. You may be able to create one, though I cannot assist you with this.

2) Most, if not all, quests have a linear progression. Many quests come with a waypoint to the next NPC, but not all of them (This was part of the fun when first exploring the ShadowLands expansion when it first came out). Now, there are player-made maps that you can download which have overlays that show where NPC's are located and also their position in the questline (I.e - This is step 7 of 50).

You can definitely level by just grinding mobs. There are ways which are much more efficient than others and that will come with both experience and talking to your orgmates. I will say that ShadowLands does offer more XP per kill. I recommend doing side quests while you are looking for teams. There is now a 'Looking for Team' window where you can see who is LFT for what content. Look at the buttons on the right-hand side of your screen.

3) I'm not aware of a built-in hotkey for the Agg/Def slider.

4) I don't fully understand your last question. Can you give a specific example? If you would like outside quest help, www.ao-universe.com has some really excellent guides.

Thank you. The best way I can explain my list question is that singer MMOs have different color quests. One being the main and the other color being side. Thanks again.

Just one more piece of advice regarding quests:
    Some quests are in level locked dungeons and there are some nice items to get there (like Temple of three winds, Foreman's office, Crypt of Home etc.)
    When it comes to fast leveling teaming and killing outside mobs is usually faster but remember that if you skip some level locked dungeons it may be very hard or even impossible to get certain items in any other way as they are often nodrops.
    Awikun 220/70/30 Ranged adv - my Main that I hardly ever log
    Awisha 220/70/30 Shade - Can solo 95% of all bosses
    Cratawi 200/70/30 Crat - S7/DR Solo farmer
    Awiken 220/70/30 Eng - Pvm Eng
    Nukiwa 200/70/30 NT - almost forgotten (awaiting retwink)
    Awidoc 200/70/30 Doc - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awix 200/70/30 Fix - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awienf 220/70/30 Enf - tanked every single boss (and still lives)
    Soldawi 220/70/30 Sol - Pvm Sold
    Awima 150/xx/xx Ma - best S10 MA farmer
    Doctorawi 220/70/30 - Pvm Doc
    Awienfo 200/70/30 - Atrox with Pande red belt and 2xQL300 hammers
    Macierewicz 220/70/30 - Pvm Crat
    Zlakobieta 220/70/30 - max complit +top tradeskiller

Thank you. The best way I can explain my list question is that singer MMOs have different color quests. One being the main and the other color being side. Thanks again.
    AO does not have anything like that as we know it from other MMOs. For example when you have green NPCs for the main game story and some yellow/blue ones for simple dailies and some extra XP while you're following the main quest line.
    The closest to that AO can offer is the Xan Questline which kinda goes from Scheol to Inferno (SL playfields). But there are no follow ups, so you have to start/finish each questline in the according playfield.

This game is more designed to either do mini quests/missions/dailies, or find a place with a lot of mobs that give good XP and spend a bunch of hours there. Killing mob after mob after mob.

So yes, sadly in this game you have to guess which NPC to go to next when you finished a quest. Or, as cheeze mentioned: ao-universe.com
    This site will help you a ton to figure out what to do in your current level range and where to find everything you need.
    Don't set yourself on fire to keep others warm.

Not a macro, but a pretty fast way to sit and heal (depending on your fingers) is via the hotbar. I use Shift 2, and then the first three buttons to select myself, sit, heal, and then stand.

First button: /macro F1 /selectself
    Second button: Sit/stand icon from the controls menu.
    Third button: Health and Nano Recharger

Just drum roll it, 1232 and you will heal so fast you might miss it. I am certain you could make this faster with user-defined hotkeys, but it is fast enough for me.

This does not and cannot exist. If such a macro were possible, then it would be incredibly easy to exploit. The intended way to heal quickly would be to use a stim, such that you don't need to sit down.

Most of the missions that involve going from one NPC to the next NPC tells you exactly which NPC you must find. The problem is that not all the missions give waypoints to where that next NPC is standing, so it's often unclear how to find the NPC. In the case where you can't find the NPC you need, I suggest you look at the guides at http://www.ao-universe.com/. We've made a lot of effort to put the exact coordinates of nearly every NPC. If we have the NPC's coordinate, we'll even have a little clicky in the guide that will copy the waypoint into your clipboard, so you only need to paste it into your chat window and hit enter to get a waypoint to that NPC.

Leveling is a combination of quests and mob grinding. If you search a little bit on these forums and read some of the guides at AO-Universe you will find lots of advice on leveling.

You need to decide whether a side-quest is worth it based on the reward. Sometimes the reward is clearly stated in the mission window, and other times it's not. Most of the time the reward is listed on the guide in AO-Universe. The "Daily Mission" type missions will get you the most XP the most quickly, but you can only do one of each type of daily mission each day.

No. The Agg-Def slider can only be adjusted by mouse, but also be aware that the slider isn't as "sensitive" as you might think. It seems like only about 6 or 12 "steps" along the slider that really makes any difference, so don't stress too much about trying to set the slider very precisely.

Not always clear. Main quests moves you along the story until you get to the conclusion and the big reward. Side quests are tasks that don't get you to the conclusion of that particular story.
    Froobalicious General of Barador Arin.

-- Playing AO for six years, still a nuub gimp, and proud of it!