Thread: Quick question RE: Current state of AO.

Question Quick question RE: Current state of AO.

Every month or so I get the itch to resub, because I used to love the crap out of this game. Then some sort of sensible adult in my brain tells me it's probably not worth the still too expensive monthly sub charge.

Now - my question is this:
    Am I right in thinking that I will log on (night time GMT), see several players in OA, see empty LFT list, find no teams in any of the levelling spots, do a few dailies, log off and not touch it again until I get the itch a year from now? (I think my old orgs, Forsaken and UoR and BY4 buddies are all gone.)

I'm assuming not much progress has been made on the engine from what I've read on here and the AO dev team is probably about 3 people now?
    And I'm assuming no funding will be provided to finish what we were promised years ago, market AO again and reinvite vets back? Since I saw that Conan game advertised. (Although maybe they'll use some of that money?

Please say I'm wrong in my assumption
    I don't have a massive amount of time to play, but enough if the population was like it was 6 years ago when you could find a team easily.

I'd really like to resub, but if it's not worth it, that's like 4 beers I could buy.
    Colawren - Gimpest stripped adventurer on RK1.
    Reroll Enthusiast.
    The alts: Colawrenn, Iriotz, Empea

Proud member of Forsaken and Unity of the Rose.

Game's on life support basically. The plug can be taken out at any time, but for the meanwhile, game is still breathing ( still cash flow positive ).

I had a friend Tweet our Game Director with a question regarding my Concept Art thread a month ago, and no reply. Said person has last been on the forum a month and two weeks ago!

All your assumptions sadly are true. Pity they can't have the community work for them by open/community sourcing elements that strongly need an update for a modern game (assets/art, lore/story, etc) to be positively approved. If they were to launch the game on Steam in this state, not only would their servers get crippled but also they would only receive backlash from the Steam population. Given the way No Man's Sky failed to deliver it would be an opportune moment to try this community initiative, but I'm not even sure they have the resources sadly for it.

EU evenings are usually more populated, so you should see more people during 18:00-22:00 GMT. Try services like Neutnet or Dnet for team/party announcements as well.
    Anarchy Online Concept Art Gallery
    Lazy "Timba" Sabretooth - 220/30/80 - Fire kitty
    Very "Timbats" Much - 220/22/xx - Tradeskiller for hire!
    Timbamf - xx/xx/xx - upcoming tanky
    Spray "Airwick" Alloveryou - 60/6/14

Hey Cola, long time.

Just thought I'd set you straight on one thing, Unity of the Rose isn't dead yet. Like the game, though, we have had people blow away into the wind and to other orgs. As long as the game is here (and I'm alive ), the Roses will always be here. Unfortunately, I am American @ GMT -6 and the AO world seems to be mostly played @ Euro times. We had a couple of my old First Light friends join the Roses during the free month, but with them both Euro players it was tough to get together much. I don't see many of the old BY4 players anymore, otherwise.

My own First Light toons I have joined with the Athen Paladins, an old RK2 org with many fine and friendly people. It is a VERY large org, is VERY active, and raids with an Alliance of several orgs. Unfortunately for me they are far busier in Euro time and I only get to raid on weekends. As much as I would hate to lose another Rose, perhaps it would be fitting for you to join with a mainly Euro org to scratch that AO itch. It's always good to have old friends come back to AO.

Quote Originally Posted by Timba View Post
    /snip
    I had a friend Tweet our Game Director with a question regarding my Concept Art thread a month ago, and no reply. Said person has last been on the forum a month and two weeks ago!
    I'd entirely forgot until I saw you mention this, but I've also spoken to Michi and a couple of the other guys & apparently there is a stash of old artwork knocking around that he found! I'll poke you with more details (if he doesn't himself) when I get some links for you!
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Meanwhile... In AO.

There is fun ingame, depending on your style.

There are raids going, people from lft getting invites(only useful professions like always)...

There is nobody at the usual leveling locations because things have changed... AO is better in almost every way leveling wise, and endgame is now endless, new updates ensure yoiu have loads of content to do.

But I get a su****ion you will log in, go /lft Ado hecks, and be shocked at no invites, and quit after a few.dailies...

So careful when judging the game by old standards, old orgs, old veterans who dont play anymore.

For people who do play it, game is very much alive and better than ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    Meanwhile... In AO.

There is fun ingame, depending on your style.

There are raids going, people from lft getting invites(only useful professions like always)...

There is nobody at the usual leveling locations because things have changed... AO is better in almost every way leveling wise, and endgame is now endless, new updates ensure yoiu have loads of content to do.

But I get a su****ion you will log in, go /lft Ado hecks, and be shocked at no invites, and quit after a few.dailies...

So careful when judging the game by old standards, old orgs, old veterans who dont play anymore.

For people who do play it, game is very much alive and better than ever.
    You know Cratertina if you ever sign up for professionals i vote for you, i know you from ingame raids and the forum.
    Such positive words are a fresh breeze to read. I agree with you, AO is much better now with leveling and getting where you want, + AO has the best rewarding engame content without removing all your efforts in one expansion pack.

Some times you even find locations very crowded, like inside the battlestation or in borealise. Pvp flagging and goofing in bor, such a wonderful sight

Anarchy Online is unique, and i don't think there be another game like it.
    Last edited by ByLogic; Aug 19th, 2016 at 10:07:39.

It took me 2 months to get from level 141 to 150 doing ado hecks.

And the one single time I got a team in the last ever, some jackass, some ignorant, selfish, low level mob killing, asshat, multiboxer logged in minutes later and killed half my area twice, a 220 with a bunch of 200-214's on follow.

Afterwards, I found out he was an orgmate, who instead of asking in org chat if anyone was doing ado hecks, just decided to go ham style and whack some mobs.

No Clan OOC: hey is anyone doing clan main?
    No Org chat: hey does anyone want to kill some ado hecks with me?
    No alliance message: hey I'm doing some ado hecks, got 3 free spots for someone 160+

It took me 2 hours to build a team. 2 hours of convincing my wife that I was doing something productive in game, and telling my kids I'd hang out with them after lunch. And when I finally got the team, a FULL team, with a doctor, a tank, and some DPS... and it lasted for about 8 minutes.

Yep. That was it for me. I haven't logged in since.

Sorry like some people have stated already. This isn't like the old days leveling. Who the hell levels at ado hecks anymore?

P.s. euro is definitely the most active timezone to play but with that being said I'm EST timezone and have no trouble getting teams.

I get home pretty early from work as well. 1:30pm EST
    Last edited by Chewy1; Aug 22nd, 2016 at 13:46:00.
    Number
    Sliza
    Chewy

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy1 View Post
    Sorry like some people have stated already. This isn't like the old days leveling. Who the hell levels at ado hecks anymore?
    So much this. Old players logging in and expecting everything to go down the same way as when they left the game years ago. I was totally guilty of that too, but I amended my ways

Instead of going to Adonis you should go to The Reck. The xp there is awesome.

Game is alive in euro time zone - especially evenings of course. US time zone is a bit less crowded as always, but I think people make it work.

It's still my opinion that you won't get anywhere without an org though. You need a couple of friends to play with or you'll burn out pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    It took me 2 months to get from level 141 to 150 doing ado hecks.
    You would have come much farther spending 30-60 minutes a day doing daily missions from RK/Jobe/The Reck.
    Last edited by Avari; Aug 26th, 2016 at 08:27:45.
    Avari 220/30/80 - Araghos 220/30/80 - Shishido 220/30/7x - Araninn 220/30/80

Quote Originally Posted by Tergx
    If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.

What do the good people of 2016 do in terms of endgame?
    I have been toying with the idea of returning lately. Got the itch you know (the itch being is that the world of AO is actually charming and unique that you want to experience over and over again. its not just plain nostalgia)
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside

Quote Originally Posted by aramsunat View Post
    What do the good people of 2016 do in terms of endgame?
    I have been toying with the idea of returning lately. Got the itch you know (the itch being is that the world of AO is actually charming and unique that you want to experience over and over again. its not just plain nostalgia)
    End game is PoH and DB3 for me. While 4th boss in PoH is pretty silly with all the running around it's still the most "challenging" in game along with the 2nd boss.

DB3 first boss is just super fun imo
    Avari 220/30/80 - Araghos 220/30/80 - Shishido 220/30/7x - Araninn 220/30/80

Quote Originally Posted by Tergx
    If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.