Thread: Fresh server ?

Fresh server ?

How to fix all the current problem of AO ? wipe it and fresh start
    Start a new server on steam or whatever and put the database of the current one as the new testlive, discuss

Alternative solutin: Start another server with the current one RK6!

And this ladies and gentleman, is how you definately kill a game.
    Valhall Guardians

Thapetowner 220 Meta-Physicist
    Hyimoliver 220 Soldier
    Ihatemyself 200 Shade
    Hardcore 200 Adventurer
    Ilovetokill 170 Agent
    Ilovetodrain 150 Trader
    Oxiahe 150 Doctor
    Critterz 150 Martial-Artist
    Awaaa 74 Soldier

With all the player knowledge of game mechanics combined with the pay2win items in fc shop, I would guess a new server would just turn out silly.

A wipe would probably just release the final few lost souls trapped in this game, and kill the game in the process. A 2nd server would be no different than the present in a matter of weeks, if you could populate it (I guess you're thinking of pulling the old RK2-trick, making the empty server the default).
    €0.02
    /G13
    Last edited by Gene13; Jan 22nd, 2017 at 21:11:45.
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

Wipe the server?

Instantly kill the game completely.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

1. Release it on steam at last
    2. Launch new 2nd server
    3. Make subscription extremely cheap for next 6 (or around) months for all new subscribers that start at new server
    4. Add some good advertisement campaign to attract maximum attendance to new server
    5. Invest all damn income to fix all stuck issues, bugs, sploits
    6. Enforce "multiboxing will be permabanned" rule at new server, no matter how exactly any player will multibox.

This. Or just shutdown servers immediately, because no Steam release with current subscription fees combined with amount of bugs and other problems will save AO, ever.
    G.F.B.D.
    --------------------------------------------
    Artyomis has played 800 days 0 hours 0 minutes 0 seconds
    WTB subscription price lowered for eastern europe countries due to current USD/EUR-to-local-currency rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Artyomis View Post
    6. Enforce "multiboxing will be permabanned" rule at new server, no matter how exactly any player will multibox.
    Depends on your meaning on this. For im not using "multiboxing apps" or whatever. I am using another paid/froob avccounts to transfer stuff, selfbuff and so on. Someone will state use org and mail system, but both are not usuable curently. So many orgmates left, and dont like mail delay on senfing stuff.

As for wipe - will vote for no.
    As for new server (if exploits fixed) - will wote for yes.

With new server you would need to keep new and old player happy. If it is insta overflowed with graces, exploits - idea will never work. Well i thing new server idea should keep veteran points and similar stuff... At least to some degree reward for being that long with game.

In our comunity there ar so many knowledgable users, that know programing and other stuff. Many of them in thier spare time would with great pleasure look at thier belowed games source and point out mistakes and exploitable places. This would work definetly.

Sorry abbout my english, not my native.

new server is scify and deadly for game. 90% of population will quit.

Edit: peaoples are so so lazy now what i see nobody hunting stuff everyone just buing or resealing. So its possible to earn tons of credz if someone want to plaz and hunt
    Last edited by rybycka; Jan 23rd, 2017 at 17:27:07.
    Snezofix fix 220/30/80
    Misicka snade 220/30/80
    Snehulienka MA 220/28/78
    Minalvin agent 220/30/80
    Doctorzhor doc 220/30/80
    Jesabell adv 200

Server Wipe - No thanks why should anyone who didn't cheat the system be penalized?

Secondly how about some harsh penalties for these cheats, Permaban? That doesn't deter these people one bit cause they are usually back online on different accounts shortly after you "perma" them.

A lot of these clowns have profited off these dupes either by selling credits or items for real cash maybe Funcom should take a page from Epic Games this would probably be a better deterrent for cheats.

"Epic Games is suing a German gamer that the developer says created a game-cheating hack for their game Paragon and sold it for a monthly subscription fee, according to a lawsuit filed this week.

Epic is seeking relief and damages from the development, use, advertising and sale of the hack by Robin Kreibich of Kostanz, Germany."

http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/17/119...l-paragon-hack

I didn't said you should wipe current server. Let it be, with all multiboxers, faileconomy, subscription cost and so on.
    I just doubt that possible newcomers who will find AO on Steam will pay as much as we do atm. I'm also not sure if they'll continue playing after spending a good amount of time and maybe cash to get to endgame and then find multiboxers instakilling them at PvP instances.

So new server with harsh rules, no sploited creds, low subscription costs and fixed bugs might be a good chance for AO to become really alive again.
    G.F.B.D.
    --------------------------------------------
    Artyomis has played 800 days 0 hours 0 minutes 0 seconds
    WTB subscription price lowered for eastern europe countries due to current USD/EUR-to-local-currency rates.

1. Release it on steam at last
    2. Launch new 2nd server
    3. Make subscription extremely cheap for next 6 (or around) months for all new subscribers that start at new server
    4. Add some good advertisement campaign to attract maximum attendance to new server
    5. Invest all damn income to fix all stuck issues, bugs, sploits

This. Or just shutdown servers immediately, because no Steam release with current subscription fees combined with amount of bugs and other problems will save AO, ever.
    yes, this is the best i heard in a long time

new server on steam launch with multibox banned and GMI usable by froobs. in fact i'd just make SL free to play, so sloob is the new froob. and you need to sub to get AI/LE/xan etc etc

otherwise just like arty said, you may aswell just shutdown AO for good.

/signed.

Bump Arty idea, let's hope funcom will do the necesarry for once

I don't think a new server is actually a good idea. A guy stayed in Bor for a few months recording all the different characters that passed by, I think he counted 1500 ish. That's hardly enough to keep weels spinning. We need a good crowded server, with several teams levling so the newcommers can level up easly and help each other out.
    I tried to introduce several friends to AO, only a few lasted... It's too clumbsy, interface doesn't feel natural, animations are terrible. Yeah, they all believe the storyline is great, and immersion can be awesome, but you need to keep people in till you pass the learning curve.
    Anarchy needs urgently new animations, a good and well made interface, a starting area that isn't confusing (new area is way more difficult than noob island - stated by a friend of mine that tried AO 6 years ago and tried it again last year). A new engine that doesnt work with the same terrible animations is far from enough.
    Getting in Steam it's a HUGE opportunity to revitalize Anarchy Online, we should really grab that opportunity.
    A new server will definitely kill the game, spreading the little population it has on two ghost servers. Crowding Rubi-Ka as it is nowadays will most certanly make the economy more stable.

Leite / Hwguy / Lordofpain / Queen

Lol

Yeah. It did need all of those things for Steam to succeed. Without those things it still could have succeeded in getting new players but would have needed marketing.

But.

We know AO has 1 active dev, no dedicated designers (no, they're not the same thing), and likely no one assigned to marketing at all.

What they needed, prior to all of those other things, was to open up to community development. I DON'T mean addons nor ways for players to get their stuff into the game without approval.

What I do mean is that users could have submitted new icons ... possibly even animations (if they released tools information) ... and FC could choose the pieces that they incorporated. Hell, just adopting the old AOU UI skin and tweaking a few more things in the interface (new engine should have allowed icon and better font scaling).

This is honestly what many of us assumed the new engine was going to enable, right up until the first betas were made available.

But with 1 dev, part time DB person, and a couple of real GMs (by "real" I mean GMs that perform actions like fixing stripped toons from GMI bugs rather than just answering questions from in-game petitions) ... there is no way this could happen right now.

Pray the new Conan gives them enough money to ponder throwing us a few bones. Right now I'll be surprised if we even see basic HTML updates to GMI for things like remembering our current search parameters so we don't have to update those.

FC has a LOT of technical players. Between allowing the community to update graphics and putting in permanent FC-run versions of the help and raid bots ... the game had a lot more capabilities without major coding. But FC hasn't ever really accepted that kind of development model.

And all of this is off topic ... fresh server? Requires hardware investment. Won't see that if we can't even get basic HTML upgrades to GMI.
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>