Thread: Shade profession proc's require Piercing

Shade profession proc's require Piercing

Why do Shade Profession proc's require a piercing weapon be equipped? There are piercing and martial arts weapons for Shades, so why do the proc's limit us to piercing? For example the new weapon from the Reck, Huzzum's Iron Fist ?

Emma

p.s. Plus there is a whole nanoline for buffing martial arts skill for Shades ...
    Last edited by Emma; Jan 23rd, 2017 at 22:45:23.

Hey Emma
    I've done some research on your problem but i do not seem to find any restriction other than having a melee weapon equipped for some Procs.
    My Shade currently has equipped a Improved Hacked Medi-Blade (Piercing) + X1-R4 Viral Force-Blades (MA).

I did some test with ONLY the MA weapon equipped, and ALL procs seem to be working.
    This included:
    Degeneration of Haste (must not have long ranged weapon equipped)
    Nanite Depravation ( 2nd buff proc)
    Siphon Being (Type 1 proc)
    Twisted Caress (Type 2 proc)
    Ceremonial Embrace (damage buff proc)

All of them seems to be working just fine with an MA weapon equipped.
    Immortalis was cast out to fight against the devilish creatures of satan. In god we trust and evil shall die!

Ofilenia - Martial Artist - Sauhaufen
    Carnista - Bureaucrat - Sauhaufen
    Alfakoile - Shade - Sauhaufen
    Metadrag - Meta-Physicist - Sauhaufen

I guess that Emma meant the perks - those indeed require a Piercing weapon: "Self Equipped Weapon Type is Piercing"

KD

This would make sense and yes. Most of them requires to have piercing weapon equipped. There are some piercing weapon that have a combined martial arts attack. Like fear forged blade, or Aleksander punch knife.
    Immortalis was cast out to fight against the devilish creatures of satan. In god we trust and evil shall die!

Well as shade you MUST have at least one piercing weapon equiped or you are doing something wrong
    Operator : "Are we safe from russian hackers ?"
    Support : "Da"

Idk why you're surprised a suboptimal weapon has suboptimal perk support.

I am surprised because Funcom took the time to have Shade specific weapons that do not have piercing as a weapon skill and nano-lines that buff martial arts, but then have all the Shade professional SL perk specials require a piercing weapon. I can see some requiring piercing but not all. Why add weapons like the special edition Kyr Energy Rapier that requires Melee Energy or the Reck's Huzzum's Iron Fist that requires Martial Arts, both with Shades one of the allowed professions for the weapon if they are not going to support skills other than piercing.

Emma

Another example: The perk Ritual of Devotion is in the Totem Rights perk line which buffs damage and Martial Arts, but the to use the perk you must have Piercing weapon.

Ritual of Devotion

On Self:
    Must have equipped weapon of type: Piercing
    Last edited by Emma; Jan 25th, 2017 at 20:09:38.

As long as you have a weapon in your right hand that has 50% piercing on the attack skills check, you'll be able to use the perks just fine.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizaka View Post
    As long as you have a weapon in your right hand that has 50% piercing on the attack skills check, you'll be able to use the perks just fine.
    When I was troll pistol on fixer smg perks worked with rhat in offhand. Not sure if it's the same with shade stuff tho...

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    When I was troll pistol on fixer smg perks worked with rhat in offhand. Not sure if it's the same with shade stuff tho...
    Interesting. I'll have to test to see if that's no longer the case with Shade perks too.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

ya you just have to have equipped a piercing weapon, it doesn't matter if right or left hand. My shade has that MA claw equipped on right hand, because on left hand the claw sticks into my chars leg... i don't like that

Now here is another one ... the benefit of training Shade Touch 1 is 5 points to Martial Arts & 1 point to evades. The perk action you receive, Atrophy can not be used unless you have a Piercing weapon equipped???????

Emma

i don't see the issue here???? shades use piercing. if you want to be weird and use an ma weapon throw a shenstick in your offhand i guess, but you need to realize it's a suboptimal setup. shades have the lowest fist template ingame anyway so i dont see the point in being ma to begin with. and this is coming from someone that used a suboptimal build for almost a year on a fixer (troa'ler pistol + rhat'ata gun).

basically, if you use a niche setup you need to understand there will be sacrifices.

The bigger issue here isn't why Shade perks require piercing. It is why FC made some things that steer a few shades to look at MA-for-combined gear.

As Lazy pointed out, Shades are actually in the bottom rung for MA templates. The fix here would be to remove MA buffs (switching them to buff something else useful for a Shade) from nanos and spirits.

Shadowlands came out when FC still had some devs that wanted to allow AO to have generalist characters. Fixers with bluegreen melee skills, etc. Post-SL everyone got more and more pointed at specific weapons. I understand the frustration. I still run a MA Doctor even though everything from AI/LE/Xan really wants a Doc to go with pistols. We get a little MA buff. Xan gave us a little more MA love. But it only really works if you force it and only then because Doctors are primarily a nano profession. Shades aren't.

The only real "generalist" out there for weapons these days is a Soldier who can be highly viable with AR, SMG, Pistol and Shotgun. Enfos maybe thought of similarly with 1HB/1HE/2HB/2HE. Advies not really, they get 1 real choice from melee or ranged. And soldier makes sense ... they're a soldier.

Personally I would have loved for Shades, Docs, Eng, Trader (yep, that was a thing) to all be viable with MA as a melee setup. But they're not.

And at this stage of the game, FC isn't going to go fix a whole bunch of stuff like this.
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

tbf ma trader is somewhat viable still

wouldn't say somewhat, it actually is pretty viable, atleast does more dmg then 2 PDKP