Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is the pricing structure ever gonna be looked at?

Smile is the pricing structure ever gonna be looked at?

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, this isn't a complaint, more of a query.

I used to play AO years ago (for a good 7-8 years). I froze my account because of the constant delays on the new engine and struggled to ever justify renewal with the extremely expensive pricing structure.

I check back regularly in hopes that this would change as I have never quite enjoyed an MMO like I did AO. I would really like to get back to the game now the engine has finally (FINALLY!!!) arrived. However, I just cannot justify a £14.75 per month expense.

I think the pricing structure should be looked at, not only is it highly unfair to European / UK players, it is extremely overpriced in general.
    I know quite a few people who quit AO purely because of this. I understand you get what you pay for, but even for an up to date new release you wouldnt pay £15 a month. I understand that it works out cheaper when paying for a year, but some months I dont have time to play, so paying for a year outright would be a waste of money.

So heres the question, is there any chance of this ever changing or is that just the way it is?

Thanks,
    Fenix

If they dropped the price to 7 ish bucks a month. I would instead pay two accounts probably. They'd generate more money with a cheaper priceplan along with attracting more people. The current price kind of scares people away that otherwise would've enjoyed at least trying the game.
    Valhall Guardians

Thapetowner 220 Meta-Physicist
    Hyimoliver 220 Soldier
    Ihatemyself 200 Shade
    Hardcore 200 Adventurer
    Ilovetokill 170 Agent
    Ilovetodrain 150 Trader
    Oxiahe 150 Doctor
    Critterz 150 Martial-Artist
    Awaaa 74 Soldier

Exactly Oliveerz, It definitely deters new custom as well as puts old players off renewing. Even if there was a lifetime membership fee or the ability to perma buy the expansions for a one off payment. Thing is, it is still a very unique game in playability. Such a shame they let it go to ruin

I'd open a third account in a heartbeat if they lowered the monthly price to a more reasonable level and allowed us to merge accounts again. I can't imagine ever playing without the beacons and other vet point stuff so the lack of getting my main account's vet points to the new account is effectively holding me back from opening a new account. Plus the extreme price of course.
    Aeliniyah Opifex Doc | Venkula Solitus Doc | Rohtoiivari Trox Doc | Yutheron Solitus Trader Ianamura NM Crat
    Technigyro Trox Enfo | Gizmoplex Trox Keeper | Icarya Opi MA | Vinetto Opifex Shade | Retku Solitus Engineer
    Geraplex Trox Sold | Tuulispaa Opifex Fixer | Wertion Solitus MP | Kemoplex Trox MA
    And a fleet of other alts...

Quote Originally Posted by SoapTarder View Post
    its funny how AO requires so much grinding and effort to make any progress, both ingame and in Development

It wouldnt be all bad if you could still play once subscriptions had run out, but once you have subscribed there is no going back. I cant even so much as look at the game.
    Even just allowing players to go back to the F2P model till they can afford subscription would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by fenixmik666 View Post
    It wouldnt be all bad if you could still play once subscriptions had run out, but once you have subscribed there is no going back. I cant even so much as look at the game.
    Even just allowing players to go back to the F2P model till they can afford subscription would be nice.
    Problem is that they can't remove all the perks and items of the sub. Just too complicated.
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Aeliniyah View Post
    I can't imagine ever playing without the beacons and other vet point stuff so the lack of getting my main account's vet points to the new account is effectively holding me back from opening a new account. Plus the extreme price of course.
    You can still create new accounts that are linked to your old one. You'll get all the vet points to buy beacons and what-not. I did this in November 2016.
    Avari 220/30/80 - Araghos 220/30/80 - Shishido 220/30/7x - Araninn 220/30/80

Quote Originally Posted by Tergx
    If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Avari View Post
    You can still create new accounts that are linked to your old one. You'll get all the vet points to buy beacons and what-not. I did this in November 2016.
    How?, there is no option in your account page to create new account it has to be on the login page, and when created it does not link to any main account, I created a froob account the other day.
    I like pears

Yeah how indeed? They removed the ability to merge accounts and the ability to create new veteran accounts. They re-enabled the character transfers on already merged accounts but afaik it's still impossible to merge accounts...
    Aeliniyah Opifex Doc | Venkula Solitus Doc | Rohtoiivari Trox Doc | Yutheron Solitus Trader Ianamura NM Crat
    Technigyro Trox Enfo | Gizmoplex Trox Keeper | Icarya Opi MA | Vinetto Opifex Shade | Retku Solitus Engineer
    Geraplex Trox Sold | Tuulispaa Opifex Fixer | Wertion Solitus MP | Kemoplex Trox MA

its funny how AO requires so much grinding and effort to make any progress, both ingame and in Development

Quote Originally Posted by way2stupid View Post
    How?, there is no option in your account page to create new account it has to be on the login page, and when created it does not link to any main account, I created a froob account the other day.
    Yeah how indeed? They removed the ability to merge accounts and the ability to create new veteran accounts. They re-enabled the character transfers on already merged accounts but afaik it's still impossible to merge accounts...
    • Log on to your master account at register.funcom.com - the one you want it linked with.
    • Click "Add a game" under "Account" in the menu on the left hand side.
    • Click "Go"" next to Anarchy Online
    • Profit?

It'll open a fr00b account to start with. Subscribing the account to any payment plan will automatically get you all expansions. You are able to transfer characters between the accounts it is linked with. I'd forgotten that the char I use on my new account was a transfered one. Hope it helps.

Edit: Seems I was wrong on the vet points (just tested it). Any new char on a new account won't have veteran points. You are able to transfer chars, however, and any transfered char will have the veteran points it was rolled with. Not an optimal solution, since it'll cost you FC points (money) every time you want a new char on a new account with vet points on it.
    Last edited by Avari; Feb 2nd, 2017 at 16:01:45.

If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.

• Log on to your master account at register.funcom.com - the one you want it linked with.
    • Profit?
    Thanks. Didn't think about that. Turns out I apparently have a Onan account too. Tgought I only was in the Beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by FC
    - Account remains free until at least 15th January 2017
    Was that the magic steam date, or why does it explicitly say january 15th still?

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

• Profit?

It'll open a fr00b account to start with. Subscribing the account to any payment plan will automatically get you all expansions. You are able to transfer characters between the accounts it is linked with. I'd forgotten that the char I use on my new account was a transfered one. Hope it helps.

Edit: Seems I was wrong on the vet points (just tested it). Any new char on a new account won't have veteran points. You are able to transfer chars, however, and any transfered char will have the veteran points it was rolled with. Not an optimal solution, since it'll cost you FC points (money) every time you want a new char on a new account with vet points on it.
    Okies... i guess this is better than nothing, but vet points are the one thing i really need if i ever open a third account. Not ready made 220's since i can make those relatively fast anyway and i'm one of those weird people who enjoy the ride much more than the "end game."

Edit: I do have one froob account under my main account which, I think, was merged way back when. If i sub that account, will it have my main accounts vet points? Is there any way to verify if it's merged the proper way or not? Don't want to just ry subbing it because that account has all my bank toons and mules and rearranging that stuff to another froob account would be a lot of work for nothing if that account doesn't get the vet points after all...
    Last edited by Aeliniyah; Feb 2nd, 2017 at 19:22:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene13 View Post
    Was that the magic steam date, or why does it explicitly say january 15th still?
    Because froob program EOY is then.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

My froob account gets the luxury of 378 vet points per character due to the old merging method :>>>>
    Dysfunktion.
    Trypants.
    Setup.
    One bright day in the middle of the night,
    Two dead boys got up to fight.
    Back to back they faced each other,
    Drew their swords, and Shot each other.
    A deaf policeman heard the noise,
    He came and killed those two dead boys.
    If you don't believe this lie is true... ask the Blind Man, He saw it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizaka View Post
    Because froob program EOY is then.
    So every 15th of january the financial team sit down and calculates how much money they didnt make on the free accounts? And the reason it says 2017 still is because everyone's been too busy tuning their schlong in exiles?

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene13 View Post
    So every 15th of january the financial team sit down and calculates how much money they didnt make on the free accounts? And the reason it says 2017 still is because everyone's been too busy tuning their schlong in exiles?

/G13
    It's just an annual date giving them the flexibility to terminate the froob program if they so please.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

I do have one froob account under my main account which, I think, was merged way back when. If i sub that account, will it have my main accounts vet points?
    Vet points were handed out based on the amount of subscription months you had, so I'm pretty sure fr00b accounts won't have gotten any.

On your account page there's a drop down menu on the left hand side where you can see all the accounts that are linked and switch between them.

Vet points were handed out based on the amount of subscription months you had, so I'm pretty sure fr00b accounts won't have gotten any.

On your account page there's a drop down menu on the left hand side where you can see all the accounts that are linked and switch between them.
    Yeah, but all merged paid accounts did get the main accounts vet point amount. When the merging was still possible if i merged a froob account and afterwards subbed it, that account would get my main accounts points. That's why i'm wondering what happens if i sub that old froob account now that the veteran accounts and merging is disabled, but that froob account was merged before.

Edit: Just checked the froob account in question and it seems it already has my main accounts vet points, even though it still is froob. All characters in that account already have my max vet points, while still froob...
    Last edited by Aeliniyah; Feb 4th, 2017 at 12:55:08.

Yeah, but all merged paid accounts did get the main accounts vet point amount. When the merging was still possible if i merged a froob account and afterwards subbed it, that account would get my main accounts points. That's why i'm wondering what happens if i sub that old froob account now that the veteran accounts and merging is disabled, but that froob account was merged before.

Edit: Just checked the froob account in question and it seems it already has my main accounts vet points, even though it still is froob. All characters in that account already have my max vet points, while still froob...
    As do mine-- I'd linked one of my froob accts some years ago to see how it worked. Never really looked at the vet pts in it until this past Xmas. Saw all the vet pts, thought WOOT, re-rolled a soldier and he got nada pts. No bacon or beacons or yalm for him, SOB! Wont be re-rolling the other 7 toons now. I wanted to run them all through Arete.

Quote Originally Posted by Literary View Post
    As do mine-- I'd linked one of my froob accts some years ago to see how it worked. Never really looked at the vet pts in it until this past Xmas. Saw all the vet pts, thought WOOT, re-rolled a soldier and he got nada pts. No bacon or beacons or yalm for him, SOB! Wont be re-rolling the other 7 toons now. I wanted to run them all through Arete.
    So... if you roll a new froob toon on already merged froob account, it doesn't get the main accounts vet points anymore?

Now i really wonder what happens if i sub that account first and then create new toon on it. I don't want to spend 18€ to try that if it's not going to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast