Thread: Chat Alert [INQUIRY /REQUEST]

Lightbulb Chat Alert [INQUIRY /REQUEST]

Hello, I am an old player, returning after a long time, and I decided to finally use the forums. :P
    I come today to talk about Chat Alert, a small utility that watched log files to check for when your skills were off cooldown, and would play audible cues for you when it registered that any of them were ready.

The old version is relying on finding your log files inside of the AO install directory, but AO's log files are now housed in AppData.
    My question: Is there any way anyone could tell me if someone has patched this small utility?

And if not, could possibly anyone do said patching? The source is linked on Harlorn's website: harlorn's AO utility portal, and I would be more than willing to compensate the person in question some way, if so.
    The program was written in Visual Basic, as it calls for the installation of Visual Basic Runtime Libraries (vbrun60sp5.exe). Hope that helps.

Taken as an excerpt from Covenant's Readme for Chat Alert:
    "The program was originally designed as a way to get a user's attention when a particular event happened. It was meant to notify a user when a skill has recycled (for example, your First Aid skill is now ready for use again) but it could be used to watch any channel readable by a player for a particular phrase of text."
    If anyone wonders why this may be useful, as its certainly handy for more than just skill cooldowns ...

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    Last edited by Agentyre; Feb 12th, 2017 at 11:39:07. Reason: For Clarity

update:

I have acquired a license for Visual Basic 6, and I am going to see if I can migrate the project from VB6 to VB.net, to make it easier for anyone who may be interested in helping me. Though, if someone with VB6 could help me out instead that would also be welcome.

IDEA:
    To get it working as intended, a system much like TinyDump's could be implemented, where you manually add characters to a list by putting the path to their log.txt together with a title that includes the name of the character so you can keep it organized in the GUI of the program, then you select the character you want from the list of added characters in the program to have it begin watching the specific log.txt (housed in appdata) file that pertains to the character that you want to use.
    Last edited by Agentyre; Feb 12th, 2017 at 09:29:05. Reason: For Updatez

update:

Getting VB 6 to play nicely with Windows 10 was a bit annoying, but I got it working now. Before I go trying to port this to VB.net, I tried a few things with the pre-existing Chat Alert available for download pre-compiled. Specifically I tried setting the installation folder to the AppData folder located at: C:\Users\YouNameHere\AppData\Local\Funcom\Anarchy Online\1460dee0\Anarchy Online\
    Before I did this, I had it set to my normal AO install directory, and when I open the application, I am greeted with "Ready - Scanning log for file changes" and there is no audio from the utility at all.
    After doing the hypothesized hotfix above of swapping it to the AppData directory stated, I still get the same issue, when I launch the utility; "Ready - Scanning log for file changes" and it hangs on this step even still.

update:
    Confirmed, after multiple tests, there are no audio cues despite the fact that it continues to say it is ready; "scanning log for file changes".
    Last edited by Agentyre; Feb 12th, 2017 at 12:09:08.

FYI there's a new project with similar goals. If you're both friendly you might be able to combine dev time.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...er-dps-parsing
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorhyde View Post
    FYI there's a new project with similar goals. If you're both friendly you might be able to combine dev time.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...er-dps-parsing
    Thank you kindly.