Thread: Is the exploiting as bad as the Steam reviews say?

Is the exploiting as bad as the Steam reviews say?

I was looking for a new mmorpg, and although old, AO has a bunch of positive reviews, but the one about exploiters greatly concerns me. If the game is basically dead except for small number of loyalists who have stuck it out, and a bunch of exploiters, then I am hesitant to invest time in it. The adventurer class sounded like it would be ideal for me. I'm just concerned about (1) Exploits (2) Lack of developer support in the game (3) No one to actually play the game with.

Sounds like everyone who plays is either max level or running a twinked alt.

I just tried it, there is a sizeable population of new players now so you can give it a try.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Quote Originally Posted by ralguramo View Post
    (1) Exploits (2) Lack of developer support in the game (3) No one to actually play the game with.
    1) The current exploits people talk about only impact a very niche part of the game (Notum Wars). Ignore all discussions on in-game economy. You'll be able to manage just find as a new player.
    2) There is little development being done, but take it from someone who's got years of playtime, that you won't ever run out of content.
    3) Get in an org. If you join an active, fr00b friendly org you'll have no trouble.

Bear in mind that 99% of the complaining going on here in the forum is mostly from people who are no longer playing. They like to reiterate year-old grievances (the game is dead, servers will shut down, FC hates us, economy is bust etc etc), and the rest is from people who wants everything to fall in their lap in return for zero effort.
    Last edited by Avari; Feb 25th, 2017 at 18:40:05.
    Avari 220/30/80 - Araghos 220/30/80 - Shishido 220/30/7x - Araninn 220/30/80

Quote Originally Posted by Tergx
    If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.

1, annoying, but not as big a problem as people tend to display it. I would even go on to say that it was worse before. These days you get spectacular displays of exploits, but back in the day, a MUCH higher number of people were exploiting in PVP especially. Nowdays I do not see any monkey business on BS.
    2, so far FC put out new content every few years. Not sure about the future, though new players might bring hope. Bugs and known exploits are fixed, though it might take days. Game is not abandoned, but FC pulled most resources out of it.
    3, I always find things to do and my friends who made lowbies after returning from 10 years break levelled just fine

+ everything what Avari said
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside

Thank you for the replies. Now that you have addressed my concerns, for which I am grateful, I can say that I definitely want to play a pistol adv... Using the race that has the better agility... Forget the name. I just need some guidance on how to proceed with where to go as I progress. I read about the implants, and that sounds like it takes some help to be able to get those thing implanted. I am not exactly a new player, but I have not played in a long time. I'm not looking for handouts. Just help with information, and perhaps help to get implants in.

I'll try to find a good org. If I play, it will be while subscribed.

Quote Originally Posted by ralguramo View Post
    Thank you for the replies. Now that you have addressed my concerns, for which I am grateful, I can say that I definitely want to play a pistol adv... Using the race that has the better agility... Forget the name. I just need some guidance on how to proceed with where to go as I progress. I read about the implants, and that sounds like it takes some help to be able to get those thing implanted. I am not exactly a new player, but I have not played in a long time. I'm not looking for handouts. Just help with information, and perhaps help to get implants in.

I'll try to find a good org. If I play, it will be while subscribed.
    If you are going to play froob, I'd also suggest opifex (easiest to twink later on, and IP saver). Up until around lvl 60 go with the SOL line of RK pistols (most experienced players might have one lying around somewhere). Then after that go to Foremans (Biomare). The end boss drops a sweet pistol. After that ask for some help to get you The Dog of War, which is probably the best non-prof locked froob pistol in the game at the moment. Low reqs, good damage. It drops from a mob named "Wardog" in the relatively new RK playfield, The Reck. Then probably the inner sanctum advy pistols.
    People are usually ready to help, it only takes a few minutes for a high level player to kill Wardog.
    That is why I emphasize to find a big, PVM oriented, froob friendly org, and your ride will be smooth.
    Will be even smoother if you are an expansion player (but the above advice goes for expansion players too... Dog of War is a great pistol).

And use ao-universe.com extensively
    aofroobs.com also has some great advice on froob builds
    Last edited by aramsunat; Feb 25th, 2017 at 19:57:09.
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside