Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Q4 Financial Report for 2016... It's dead Jim.

From a business standpoint I can certainly understand FC. They were pretty much betting the company on Conan Exiles, and it ended up selling more copies in the first week than AO did in the first year. Funneling that money back into a couple of long declining games instead of further developing Exiles and try to make it an even bigger success would just be stupid.

That being said, I think it's right to expect some kind of development considering the high subscription fee FC charges for AO. One of the one of the most expensive subscriptions of any MMO, on top of microtransactions, just to keep the lights on in the server room? That just seems unreasonable...

sucks to see this game go. I started playing this game when I was 19 or 20, now im 36. every time I get a new computer I still download the game even if I don't log on anymore. only mmorpg I could get into. only one ive ever played. would love to see it return to the former glory of pre xan / LE and all exploits.

Quote Originally Posted by Avari View Post
    It's funny how categorical people can conclude things based on a single sentence that is open to interpretation. Fact of the matter is that you know diddly squat about what's going to happen moving forward. Just like everyone else here.

It would suit several people in this thread to acknowledge this even though it might lead to a bruised ego.
    Or, more likely, you're just naively optimistic. Which is fine, it's better than being negative all the time like a lot of posters on these forums, but you still need to recognize that this is not a good sign for the game. I don't believe the servers are in danger of being shut down in the immediate future, but now that Funcom has come out and stated there's no more significant work being released for AO, how long will it be before the subscriber base really starts to dry up? Sure, "play the game for what it is now, not what it might be", but people expect updates and don't want to play the exact same game. If they were okay with that, everyone would still be playing Pong. I think your stance of "we're going to be playing this game for years to come" is slightly unrealistic unless you take "years" to be the minimum definition of at least 2. I personally fully expect AO to be shut down, or have a shut down date, by the time my subscription ends in 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gastly View Post
    sucks to see this game go. I started playing this game when I was 19 or 20, now im 36. every time I get a new computer I still download the game even if I don't log on anymore. only mmorpg I could get into. only one ive ever played. would love to see it return to the former glory of pre xan / LE and all exploits.
    This ^^

I started playing shortly before the SL expansion was released, and while I stopped playing AO as my main game back in 2007 or 2008, I've resubbed frequently since then just to keep up with the latest changes, and to get a feel for the state of the game. AO was my first real MMO after Ultima Online so it will always have a special place in my heart. I love the story, the art style and especially the music. I have so many fond memories of playing this game, and made so many friends over the years (some of whom I still play with on other games). I will miss it dearly when it is finally gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    [..]
    The whole point some of us are trying to make is that you can't use signs for anything. It's all talk. AO is profitable. That's all you need to know
    Avari 220/30/80 - Araghos 220/30/80 - Shishido 220/30/7x - Araninn 220/30/80

Quote Originally Posted by Tergx
    If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.

The whole point some of us are trying to make is that you can't use signs for anything. It's all talk. AO is profitable. That's all you need to know
    SWG was profitable ...

Personally I'm prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

in the words of the great poet 2pac "Its hard to remain optimistic, when your homies laying dead on the pavement twisted"

and I want nothing but greatness for this game...

I'm hoping maintenence mode contains some, y'know, maintenence.

Speaking of which, where's the Arbiter? Got a hangover from PAX East party or something?

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Quote Originally Posted by Caloss2 View Post
    SWG was profitable ...

soe vs funcom lol
    2017 - The beginning of the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Caloss2 View Post
    SWG was profitable ...

SWG was shut down due to issues with the license of the IP. Funcom doesn't have that problem with AO.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Why...own-33425.html
    Avari 220/30/80 - Araghos 220/30/80 - Shishido 220/30/7x - Araninn 220/30/80

Quote Originally Posted by Tergx
    If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophiuchus View Post
    Speaking of which, where's the Arbiter? Got a hangover from PAX East party or something?
    Have you petitioned a GM to ask? We don't know any more than you do.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234