Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 accounts up for Annual Resubbing

4 accounts up for Annual Resubbing

So with the knowledge that there is no more updates, and not bug fixing or graphical changes that were promised to us many many years ago ( and if someone says we got one ... shadows .... really?) I've been supporting FC for along time on and off over the years due to deplyments but I have one question ...

Is it worth resubbing for a yr on 4 accounts or just letting them sit, go play another game until the entire game is F2P and maybe coming back?

thoughts anyone.

I'm exactly in the same boat with my 5 paid accounts, I've decided to shrivel down and clamp my buff alts I have on paid accounts currently and remaking some as froobs. This way at most I will just have 2 paid accounts. I just renewed as month to month for now as I'm still contemplating. While it is sad to see official writing on the wall stating what has been obvious for years, I am still enjoying the little time I do get playing this game. The nostalgia value is what keeps me coming back over and over again, no other game has ever hit the mark AO did in terms of MMORPG's. The only exception to the rule being Star Wars Galaxies (Rest in Peace, good ol' friend). Maybe things will change, maybe they won't, we can be cynical and say they are just blood hounds releasing the game on Steam for one last profit squeeze. Or perhaps we can be hopeful they are wanting to see what kind of market impact they could get and if AO would be truly worth a complete graphical overhaul as we have begged for years.

I even once mentioned the idea of just "Create an AO2!", but really, in the end I don't know if that is what I would want. What keeps a lot of us attached to the game is the sentiment of our characters and how we've grown attached to them and the hard work we put into them. I'm sure we could get over that fact if AO2 was created and became successful, but moving on from characters I created back in 2002 would still be tough. It's a tough debate really, and even tougher when Funcom is being forced to play its hand by the investors rather than the love for gaming. But alas, that is what the gaming market has become these days, ruled by suits, rather than the players.
    Last edited by Memphisraves; Mar 15th, 2017 at 08:48:36.

I've started re-rolling buff pets on froob accounts but just seems fruitless if there's nothing new to do other than the same 'ol stuff. AO2 would be interesting specially if they used the AOC engine ... /Hint Hint ... but it's interesting that AO remains their best games in my opinion.

My honest advice is to keep the one account with your favourite toons (maybe a 2nd account too) and cancel the rest, because subbing that many accounts is too expensive, and you will be surprised how much fun you can have if you play with other people
    Besides, its tedious to play 4 accounts at the same time, and the buff whores and TS monkeys are not worth it.
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside

In one year people will look back and say "what was all the fuss about" or they will simply have forgotten. If you're worried just go for a 6 month sub. I have yearly sub on two accounts and three month sub on the remaining two. It's really not that much on a monthly basis when you think about it. Compare it to my friend who buys PS4 games every month and tire of most of them within a month or two..... It's all very relative if you think about it.
    Avari 220/30/80 - Araghos 220/30/80 - Shishido 220/30/7x - Araninn 220/30/80

Quote Originally Posted by Tergx
    If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.

Yeah I used to play a lot of other games too. Atm I'm only playing AO and even though some say the subscription is expansive I actually save a lot of money
    Behoernchen - Adventurer - SEMPER FIDELIS

I'm picking up shorter sub periods to tide me over until the Anniversary to see if they will do a sub deal then. Not having had one over Christmas really pissed me off (and I know I'm not the only one). Value for money in this game is pretty poor and pulling the sub deals does not help matter. If there isn't a cheap annual deal at the Anniversary then I will be seriously reconsidering my future with this game.

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Quote Originally Posted by gruulok View Post
    So with the knowledge that there is no more updates, and not bug fixing or graphical changes that were promised to us many many years ago ( and if someone says we got one ... shadows .... really?) I've been supporting FC for along time on and off over the years due to deplyments but I have one question ...

Is it worth resubbing for a yr on 4 accounts or just letting them sit, go play another game until the entire game is F2P and maybe coming back?

thoughts anyone.

show me anywhere where the things you've stated have been posted by funcom, some kind of secret knowledge you have there ? assume what you want, it's your prerogative.
    2017 - The beginning of the end.

4 accounts ? Why ? ... well you have your reasons for sure
    with 1 good 220 you can make 3b in 1 week ... the grace is at 3b atm and will get lower

depends how much you want to entertain yourself and how much are you prepared to pay... 100 euro or $ for one year subscription ... you pay more to wash the damn car in one month ... and there are people that used to pay 1000+ $ to hear B.B.King in a club for 2 hours ... is all about how much YOU want to pay for your entertainment. If what you pay for does not entertain you ... well that is another discussion

And I could not agree more that playing with other people is fun. At the time I'm posting there are 30 on lft ...

"Worth" is a cruel word. How much a glass of water WORTH ? Depends ... Depends a LOT ... "My kingdom for a horse" !
    Operator : "Are we safe from russian hackers ?"
    Support : "Da"

http://steamcommunity.com/app/396280...7805142/?ctp=3

Not paying to access the forum and reply asking for verification ... BUT you'd think FC would log someone in to Steam as it's a new Endevour to correct it if it's wrong. last thing you want it someone starting rumours that your flagship game is dying

Quote Originally Posted by metaluv View Post
    show me anywhere where the things you've stated have been posted by funcom, some kind of secret knowledge you have there ? assume what you want, it's your prerogative.
    http://cdn.funcom.com/investor/2017/...Q16_Report.pdf

Page 3 slide, directly from Funcom itself:
    "For Anarchy Online, the Item Store was revamped, a Winter celebration and a Christmas sale event were launched, several bugs and exploits were fixed and the game was released on Steam. No further significant work is expected to be done on this project going forward."

Edit: In case you are curious when this was released, it was made public roughly 3 weeks ago on 2/27/17. More info can be found on the landing page of the investor release at https://www.funcom.com/investors/fun...eport_for_2016.
    Last edited by Memphisraves; Mar 16th, 2017 at 02:25:35.

Community Manager Odonoptera no longer lists Anarchy Online on his Twitter account that he is a CM for. Also, hasn't posted anything on the forums for almost a month now as well.

Please "Xzeep" It - Atrox Fixer - 220/30
    Dictator of Small Hands of Trump

Please "Halpme" - Nanomage Enforcer - 220/30
    "Tolerable" - Nanomage Adv - 220/30

Quote Originally Posted by Memphisraves View Post
    http://cdn.funcom.com/investor/2017/...Q16_Report.pdf

Page 3 slide, directly from Funcom itself:
    "For Anarchy Online, the Item Store was revamped, a Winter celebration and a Christmas sale event were launched, several bugs and exploits were fixed and the game was released on Steam. No further significant work is expected to be done on this project going forward."

Edit: In case you are curious when this was released, it was made public roughly 3 weeks ago on 2/27/17. More info can be found on the landing page of the investor release at https://www.funcom.com/investors/fun...eport_for_2016.
    Interpret it however you like, nothing the op stated has been posted anywhere by Funcom, including that link, and that's fact, not assumption.
    2017 - The beginning of the end.

Quote Originally Posted by metaluv View Post
    Interpret it however you like, nothing the op stated has been posted anywhere by Funcom, including that link, and that's fact, not assumption.
    What exactly are you referring to that the "Op Stated"? Because what was stated is literally on that link, it is common investor knowledge that "No significant work moving forward" means the project/work in question will be put into a stasis mode. In the few projects (Including a few games) I have invested in, that generally means that the development will cease and only major bugs will be worked on, if they are cause for profit concern. If you even bothered to go over the financials and slides of both presentations, you would see the online gaming section was actually below red line in terms of profit at the end of Q4 2016. Luckily Funcom released Conan Exiles, which brought the company back up to positive EBITA projections, or else older game shutdowns would have been next. They even loosely state this in their presentation, again, read the words from the company itself.

You may ask, "how can you know shutdowns would even occur, you are just assuming?". And you would be right, as it is simply an assumption, but with my years of investing and seeing many games fall into this sink and finally be forced to close it is simple. Look at games like "Earth & Beyond", "Asheron's Call 1 & 2", "The Matrix Online", and "Star Wars Galaxies". All which were shutdown because profits were only barely being met and overall resource development had to be shifted. This is a prime example of what is occurring with Funcom right now, they are pushing an extra 5-10 Million USD to Conan Exiles alone and shifting a large majority of resources to that project (Source: See slide 7 of 14 http://cdn.funcom.com/investor/2017/...Q16_Report.pdf).

More info between both presentations showed priority resource shifting to Conan Exiles, Another new "Conan the Barbarian" IP based game, TSW, and a new unannounced project (Interesting to see what that will be). The overall large message Funcom presented to us is that they are focusing heavily on expanding Conan Exiles to make an even larger Market impact, they also want to relaunch TSW to bring in new and more players to further raise profits. Anarchy Online was released on Steam to bring in new players to level out its operating costs. In the end both Anarchy Online and Age of Conan will have "No further significant work" from here on out, meaning staff will be shifted to other projects. Again, this is common knowledge in the game industry and investments sector.

I will stop my argument with that, take it as you will. I have presented to you sources (Directly from Funcom), call them false all you like. I like to think what a company presents to me as an investor, is true, or else that is illegal and falls under fraud.
    Last edited by Memphisraves; Mar 16th, 2017 at 04:07:05.

AO is now dead, just eat the fact.
    My time also to look after another game.

Quote Originally Posted by Xzeepo View Post
    Community Manager Odonoptera no longer lists Anarchy Online on his Twitter account that he is a CM for.
    Surely, CM work can be considered "significant work" and we don't get that anymore around here.

@OP : I would pick one char I like really playing and keep that account active and let the other three expire.
    No further significant work is expected to be done on this project going forward.

Maybe Spynosaur inherited the CM job?
    https://twitter.com/AndyBenditt/stat...83272725262340
    She is/was a AO GM...

Quote Originally Posted by Memphisraves View Post
    Look at games like "Earth & Beyond", "Asheron's Call 1 & 2", "The Matrix Online", and "Star Wars Galaxies".
    Let's look at them then:

• SWG was not shut down due to lack of profitability or any other mumbo jumbo. It was shut down becaue the license ran out. Funcom does not have that problem with AO since they own the IP.
    • The Matrix Online was shut down because it never really took off. It was released around the same time as WoW, which we can all agree sucked up all the attention at that point in time. It would have been difficult for any MMO to compete with. I played AO at WoW launch and there were lots of players trying it out and some found it more to their liking. Most people stuck around though and atleast on RK1 the server was at times overcrowded in the end game.
    • Earth and Beyond also never took off. It ran for approximately two years I think. In comparison, AO was an award winning and ground-breaking MMO when it arrived and has been running for the better part of two decades. It is the first MMO to utilise instancing, it is the first MMO to be set in a sci-fi world and the succes of the game vastly outpaced expectations leading to severe problems at launch. But yea, let's compare it to a game that was out for two years and hardly had any succes...
    • Asheron's Call is what comes closest to the case of AO in terms of game state. What differs is the publishing of the game. Asheron's Call was published by three separate entities and shut down was announced a day after re-structuring of the company had been announced. Make your own conclusions from that.

In my oppinion, the biggest threat to AO is the (financial) stability of Funcom. As deluded as it would be to think that we'll get a new expansion it is just as deluded to talk about shutting down the game anytime soon. There's a middle ground in there, but seeing as this is an internet forum I fully expect people to retain their polarised view with no room for any sort of nuances or admittance of lack of solid information.

I'm so tired of reddit detectives finding one sentence in a Q4 report or a change in a twitter status and then pronouncing that the world will come undone.
    Last edited by Avari; Mar 16th, 2017 at 14:39:02.
    Avari 220/30/80 - Araghos 220/30/80 - Shishido 220/30/7x - Araninn 220/30/80

Quote Originally Posted by Tergx
    If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Avari View Post
    There's a middle ground in there

Sure, but when the middle ground is no new content, very limited/slow bug fixes and a complete blackholing of any kind of information about the game from FC it's not hard to see why people are getting upset.

And it's not just AO. Go over to the AoC forums and the story is so similar you'd think they were talking about the same game....

Thread moved to Reet, as it was off topic for New Arrivals.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast