Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 accounts up for Annual Resubbing

Quote Originally Posted by Avari View Post
    Let's look at them then:

• SWG was not shut down due to lack of profitability or any other mumbo jumbo. It was shut down becaue the license ran out. Funcom does not have that problem with AO since they own the IP.
    • The Matrix Online was shut down because it never really took off. It was released around the same time as WoW, which we can all agree sucked up all the attention at that point in time. It would have been difficult for any MMO to compete with. I played AO at WoW launch and there were lots of players trying it out and some found it more to their liking. Most people stuck around though and atleast on RK1 the server was at times overcrowded in the end game.
    • Earth and Beyond also never took off. It ran for approximately two years I think. In comparison, AO was an award winning and ground-breaking MMO when it arrived and has been running for the better part of two decades. It is the first MMO to utilise instancing, it is the first MMO to be set in a sci-fi world and the succes of the game vastly outpaced expectations leading to severe problems at launch. But yea, let's compare it to a game that was out for two years and hardly had any succes...
    • Asheron's Call is what comes closest to the case of AO in terms of game state. What differs is the publishing of the game. Asheron's Call was published by three separate entities and shut down was announced a day after re-structuring of the company had been announced. Make your own conclusions from that.

In my oppinion, the biggest threat to AO is the (financial) stability of Funcom. As deluded as it would be to think that we'll get a new expansion it is just as deluded to talk about shutting down the game anytime soon. There's a middle ground in there, but seeing as this is an internet forum I fully expect people to retain their polarised view with no room for any sort of nuances or admittance of lack of solid information.

I'm so tired of reddit detectives finding one sentence in a Q4 report or a change in a twitter status and then pronouncing that the world will come undone.
    • SWG - This actually was mainly shutdown due to the massive player exodus of NGE changes (I was there and pissed off when I found out my pre-patch jedi was now just like all the new easymode jedi). This caused a very large profit loss that even the knucklehead himself (John Smedley) admitted was a mistake. He couldn't make a case for LucasArts to renew the license as Bioware was already going to take the market with the then new SWTOR and SWG simply wasn't worth the headache anymore for them due to the community outrage and financial loss for SOE.
    • Matrix Online - Again this falls under the same reason I listed this game, profits. I also played AO/WoW/MO during this time, I really enjoyed MO and was saddened when it was shutdown as I thought we could ride out the waves. But again, the suits at SOE had the final say.
    • E&B - Again, I used this because it was shutdown due to profit loss nothing more.
    • AC - Glad we can agree on something there.

I can understand you labeling me as one of the reddit army people, but I'm actually trying to give sense as to why those type of people are acting how they are. I also agree with you on the delusion part and I want the middle ground as well! Hell, I still play Anarchy Online, and I love it! But I am shrinking down my accounts from 5 to 2 just because of life changes and I can't justify to myself spending that much on a game that I personally feel like I could lose all my progress at some point. Although, any online game has that risk and I understand that, it's just my own sentiment. Either way, I actually want to thank you Avari for an actual decent reply rather than just an outrage towards my post, you are right, I did use some of the games a bit out of context and I apologize.
    Last edited by Memphisraves; Mar 16th, 2017 at 18:55:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Avari View Post
    the succes of the game vastly outpaced expectations leading to severe problems at launch.
    We're talking about AO here, right? The problems at launch weren't due to "the success of the game", they were due to a multitude of bugs (ingame and billing) and lack of MMO programming knowledge, and those same problems were the very thing AO never truly recovered from. Even today it's listed as one of, if not the, worst launches in MMO history. Let's not resort to historical negationism.

Also, being the first at something doesn't mean you're successful. AO was never as successful as EQ pre-WoW, and EQ had ~450k subscribers at it's pre-WoW peak. Look, we're all still here, we all love AO (or what it used to be), but it's not same unique case that can never be compared to other MMOs. At the end of the day, Funcom is a business, and one that's been doing very poorly for a number of years now. AO is old enough that no matter what work they put in, their forecasts don't show them making any kind of ROI.

So it seems that more than one of FC's franchise's are in trouble ... also ... AC1 is still running and so is AC II .... you buy AC1 for $10 and get access to AC II for free ... has been for about a yr now

But I've taken the advice of a couple and rolled froob accounts, and will roll over one paid account 6mthly so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the advice all

Quote Originally Posted by gruulok View Post
    So it seems that more than one of FC's franchise's are in trouble ... also ... AC1 is still running and so is AC II .... you buy AC1 for $10 and get access to AC II for free ... has been for about a yr now

But I've taken the advice of a couple and rolled froob accounts, and will roll over one paid account 6mthly so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the advice all
    Asherons Call 1 and 2 have been shut down, this happened January 31st 2017.

Please "Xzeep" It - Atrox Fixer - 220/30
    Dictator of Small Hands of Trump

Please "Halpme" - Nanomage Enforcer - 220/30
    "Tolerable" - Nanomage Adv - 220/30

Quote Originally Posted by Memphisraves View Post
    SWG - This actually was mainly shutdown due to the massive player exodus of NGE changes (I was there and pissed off when I found out my pre-patch jedi was now just like all the new easymode jedi). This caused a very large profit loss that even the knucklehead himself (John Smedley) admitted was a mistake. He couldn't make a case for LucasArts to renew the license as Bioware was already going to take the market with the then new SWTOR and SWG simply wasn't worth the headache anymore for them due to the community outrage and financial loss for SOE.
    There were probably several factors involved, but the primary reasoning behind the eventual shutdown was licensing. Sony could not have continued the game even if they wanted to. (Edit: I think we mostly agree on this actually)

One of many sources: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Why...own-33425.html

Quote Originally Posted by Memphisraves View Post
    I can understand you labeling me as one of the reddit army people
    That was not my intention. It was more of a general observation across all threads agonising over the Q4 report. Reading it again I can see how it could be read differently and I apologise for that

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    [...]they were due to a multitude of bugs (ingame and billing) and lack of MMO programming knowledge[...]
    You're absolutely right, but the sheer number of players trying to play the game exacerbated these problems manyfold.
    Last edited by Avari; Mar 17th, 2017 at 13:47:11.
    Avari 220/30/80 - Araghos 220/30/80 - Shishido 220/30/7x - Araninn 220/30/80

Quote Originally Posted by Tergx
    If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Xzeepo View Post
    Asherons Call 1 and 2 have been shut down, this happened January 31st 2017.

Well balls, i really enjoyed playing that when i wanted to blob out ... was hoping that the amount of people that brought AC1 just to play AC2 would have been enough to make them consider maybe putting some work into it but I guess not

Pick one or two accounts and let the rest run out.
    Enjoy the game for what it is. A game, a super great game, but still a game nonetheless.

The best that could happen for AO in my opinion, would be if a actual capable company bought AO, and invested the time, money and effort the game deserves.
    Heck, let me win a few 100 million dollars, and id buy it.

AO2, Conan Exiles etc... **** no, i wont touch anything else FC would have their paws on.
    They utterly fail as a game company, with the many many maaaaany fails and ****ups they've done and gazillion bugs they can't/wont fix.
    Bad excuses and silence is a doom cocktail for any gaming company.

What FC is great at however is making up stories and awesome worlds and universes, for games.

Tldr; Enjoy the game for aslong as you do. And when you dont, then move on, and come back again when the AO itch strikes.
    First NT to proper pocket Ely hecks - Raesun

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12