Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA 40.72 Drivers causing problems

NVIDIA 40.72 Drivers causing problems

It seems the 40.72 drivers from the NVIDIA site (http://www.nvidia.com/) are causing some font distortions in Anarchy Online.

The fix right now is to just use the previous drivers, the 30.82:

Win98/SE/ME:
    http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=win9x_30.82

Win2k/XP:
    http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_30.82

(Be sure to uninstall the 40.72 drivers using the add/remove programs function in the control panel before installing these drivers)

The issue has been reported to the developers, but I'd like some information from people who have experienced this, and possibly from people who use the 40.72 drivers and do not have any problems (I would have imagined we'd received more email/posts if it was happening to everyone using an NVIDIA card).

So if you are using these drivers, please reply with your video card, OS, and version of Direct X, and state whether or not you are having problems.

**edit: It may only be a problem with Win 98/SE/ME **

Thank you
    Last edited by GM-Zixxax; Dec 2nd, 2002 at 15:29:44.
    GM-Zixxax

Funcom Customer Service
    http://www.anarchy-online.com
    http://www.funcom.com

Up until yesterday I was using these drivers and had no graphical anomalies or font distortions whatsoever

Using Geforce 4 ti4600
    Win XP SP1
    DX 8.1

Ah, yup, using those drivers with no apparent problems with the fonts. I'm curious if the mouse lag issue is driver related, though... definitely having problems there.

Windows XP
    Standard Geforce3 (no TI of any sort)
    DirectX 8.1

got a mixed bag here...

both me and my wife play, so 2 systems here, one was good, one wasn't.

This system had the blocky fonts

WinME
    AMD athlon 1300
    512Mb RAM
    GeForce3 Ti200

This system was fine

WinME
    AMD athlon 1300
    512 Mb RAM
    Geforce4 Ti 4600
    Deagnor 204 Solitus Fixer (Omni) Director of R.U.R.
    ---*** Other RuRians ***---
    83 Opti Pistol Advent Motafrancis | Ovnor 161 Solitus Engineer
    117 Nanomage NT Knightweaver | DiceSlice 83 Opti 1HE Advent
    145 NanoMage MP Miner49 | Mohelunz 69 Solitus Doc
    141 Atrox Enf Cluedozer | Icewrench 63 Opti Fixer
    Icelo 57 Opti Keeper
    Sig updated Sept 2, 2008

Exclamation Font problem with new NVIDIA driver

Yes i had the font problem with the new NVIDIA driver. The text became blockes/squares. Now using the old driver.Data

Win 98 SE (fully updated)
    DirectX 8.1b
    creative geforce4 460MX, 64MB

Ouch!

I installed the latest Nvidia driver, 40.72, just to see if I would have any problems. All the text from the loading screen, in-game chat, and even the text on the minimap is all blocks and unreadable. For some reason, the mob names can be read clearly and, graphically, the game looks better with the newer driver. But, I have to be able to read the text. So, I'm headed back to the old driver, 30.82. It's a definite problem and confirmed with my system:

Windows 98se.
    DX 8.1
    Geforce2 mx 400, 64mb vid card
    256 physical ram

I'm still getting a lot of lag spikes, long zone loading times, and 20 second to 1 minute intermittent computer freezes while playing AO since the 14.6 and 14.7 patches. Everything was running fine great before then.

Anyway, I hope this helps as I just want to enjoy playing again. Hopefully, we can find a common theme as more people report the same problems.

Thank you for any help!

- Chopit

nvidia drivers

Yea i had this problem right after i installed the new drivers, i'm usin gf2 mx. Guess i gotta download old drivers.

Butch
    The problem only occurs for me (Win98SE, GeForce 2MX) when trying to run the game in 16bit colour. If I run in 32bit, the fonts are fine. Makes things a little slower, but at least it works...

I've not had any problems with the 40.72 drivers either (used both the beta and the WHQL ones).

My system is:

AthlonXP 2100+
    Geforce4 4600
    WinXP SP1

Hope this helps...
    edict
    Clan Archdeacon

"Nothing worth while is ever easy"

41.09 does the same thing...

But an update!

On the system listed above, with the Geforce3 Ti200 card, bumping the game into 32 bit mode removes the blocks.

If I run AO in 16 bit mode, all the text is blocked out.
    Icelo 57 Opti Keeper
    Sig updated Sept 2, 2008

Thank you for forwarding this to the developers. Now, is there anyway to get an update as to when there might be a potential fix to this problem? I don't have the resources, with all the lag in AO, to go to 32-bit. Not to mention, I do play other games that require the latest drivers and I'm having problems sticking with the 30.82.

Again, sys spec:

P3 500mhz Celeron (HP - Intel chipset disabled)
    geforce2 mx400, 64mb vid card (current 30.82 driver cause of AO)
    Windows 98 second edition (completely updated per Microsoft)
    256 physical ram (max this comp can hold)
    5-6 gig free on hd

I've seen 2 others post in other forums with the same issue. I posted for them to go back to the 30.82. Both had Windows 98 Se.

I realize there is a work-around by going to 32-bit. But, my setting for AO are already turned way down, just so my system can handle the lag from the 14.6 ad 14.7 patches. I, certainly, can't go 32-bit as my fps will fall to near nothing...especially trying to do any battles with NW.

So, any updates on this? I really need to know about a potential fix, not just some work-arounds that slow me down more than I already am.

Thank you for any updates!

- Chopit

Immediately after upgrading to the NVIDIA 40.72 drivers I got the blocky font problem.

My system:

AMD Athlon 133
    GeForce2 GTS
    Win98SE fully updated
    DirectX 8.1

I also updated my drivers and yes the text also got screwed up. I /petitioned but of course i couldnt communicate with the ark. Eventually after simple yes-jump/no-spin type questions, he basically told me to reinstall. Im on 56k so repatching is going to take forever. Now i know i just have to put back my old drivers. Why dont FC sort the game to use the latest ones? that would be far more practical. anyway, does anyone know if BF1942 works using the 30.82 drivers? it wasnt working for me before I updated to 40.72 but i dont really know what drivers i had before 40.72.

/me shrugs and decides whether its worth it...

Oh, 1 more thing, on another post, GM-Zixxax said to use the 30.82 drivers till on later than 40.72 comes out. 41.09 came out 3 days ago but speardancer says its the same thing. does it help at all? the only reason i updated in the first place was to play BF1942. so should i downgrade to 30.82 or go up to 41.09?

Join the F.I.FC movement today!! (Fix It Funcom)<---not likely

Talking Possible Fix for the Font block problem Nvidia V 41.09 (40.72)

Hello all.

I believe to have found a way out of the font block problem with the new driver from Nvidia V 41.09 and possible V 40.72.
    Here is is:

Install the new Nvidia driver (V 41.09 or 40.72)
    Put your desktop into 32bit
    lauch AO
    in the settings menu, put the Texture Quality to low and the Texture color quality to low.
    Next Login and tick the game to run in Windows mode.
    Start AO.
    The game should now run without the blockes.
    Next log off the game and restart it.
    Now put the Texture Quality and Texture color quality to the level you want, and u should be fine as long as to play AO in windows mode.

Press report is this helps!

additional update

OK, both systems are running 41.09 level of Nvidia's driver.

Both systems operate normaly under 32 bit mode, and nearly all text is blocked over in 16 bit mode. Desktop setting doesn't seem to have much of an effect on whether or not it happens

System Specs (again)

Both systems:
    WinME
    512Mb RAM
    1300 AMD Athlon

System 1:
    GeForce4 Ti 4600 128Mb

System 2:
    Geforce2 Ti200 64Mb

I don't recall the models, but each system also has a different Motherboard, although both boards are based off the same chipsets.
    Icelo 57 Opti Keeper
    Sig updated Sept 2, 2008

Originally posted by Autocloud
    anyway, does anyone know if BF1942 works using the 30.82 drivers? it wasnt working for me before I updated to 40.72 but i dont really know what drivers i had before 40.72.

/me shrugs and decides whether its worth it...
    Yes, BF1942 works with Windows98se with 30.82 drivers and 16-bit color. It looks a lot nicer with the new drivers, but still works with the old ones.

No problems with fonts running the 40.72 drivers. I experience mouselag and movement lag when running with AA enabled in the driver-setup. No lag withut AA. The same goes for AF. Setting both to program-controlled removes lag, though, but gives me no AF/AA since AO doesn't support this in it's graphics settings.

And I run with 32 bit set where applicable in graphics setup. I only run AO in windowed mode regularly, tried fullscreen and there still was no problem outside the mouse/movement lag when AA and/or AF is enabled in the Nvidia driver setup.

Set-up:
    Win2k SP3 with all latest patches. DirectX 8.1.
    ASUS V8420 G4 Ti4200
    Athlon T-bird 1.4GHz on a ASUS A7V266-E mobo, 512 MB RAM.

Seems to me from this thread the problem applies to anyone running in 16-bit mode on Nvidia driver version later than 30.82 and WinME/98ME/SE. I will test with different settings of 16/32 bit desktop and AO settings when I get home. But this seems to be the core of the problem from what I read here.

Edit: Tested with 40.72 and new 41.09 drivers, dl'ed from nvidia.com. No font-issues with either in 16, 32 or 16/32 bit modes.
    Last edited by Kanat; Dec 9th, 2002 at 01:00:05.
    Best regards,
    Kanatach
    Kanatinka
    Kanataz

"This existance of ours is as transient as autumn clouds
    To watch the birth and death of beings is like looking at the movements of a dance
    A lifetime is a flash of lightning in the sky
    Rushing by, like a torrent down a steep mountain."

Can we get an update on this from customer service? I'd like to hear the devs are working on a fix. But, really, any update would be nice.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast