Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: about ethics again

ethics.. its just a game

Yeah, we know it's just a game, but what some people seem to forget is that those who you meet are not scripted NPCs, but real people with feelings.

If you spoke about The Sims, you could excuse your actions with the phrase "it's just a game", but that is simply not sufficent in a game like AO.

Indeed. Sadly, too many people seem to think they can ignore their responsibilities because there are few consequences to them.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Originally posted by zimmy
    ethics.. its just a game
    So lets play at ethics. (I'll be the doctor )

the people with feelings keep forgetting that its just a game.

Just A Game

Yep, it is just a game. And games have expectations of fairplay and behavior. With internet games, some few think that these rules do not apply. They hide behind their avatar and hope that their actions will not be a burden on them in real life. Such people are the new cowards.

who was it that said, "honour exists everywhere in life, online and offline." Well Im paraphrasing, but, you get the point.

What WebMD did and others like him, who seek only for themselves are pathetic gutter crawlers in a dark landscape of fear and soullessness.

Those who say this is just a game, people say the same thing about life. Perception my friend, is everything. Kindness is everything.

Jewel sang, " and in the end, only kindness matters"

The Beatles, And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

Look back on every great leader this world has ever known and you start to see a pattern. Buddha, Krishna, Jesus, Mohammad, etc... they were all saying the same thing, jus tin different words, different languages. But, the message was always the same.

lol you ppl dont understand that we pay for this game to have fun

If I wanna go make an ass of myself online for my own amusement...im paying to do it lol o well

If I ruin someones day by doing so o well come to my house and beat me up ...or maybe you will just beat me up in your fake world, with your fake gear, and your fake nukes, on your fake uber character

haha get real ppl

Originally posted by Windbane
    lol you ppl dont understand that we pay for this game to have fun

If I wanna go make an ass of myself online for my own amusement...im paying to do it lol o well

If I ruin someones day by doing so o well come to my house and beat me up ...or maybe you will just beat me up in your fake world, with your fake gear, and your fake nukes, on your fake uber character

haha get real ppl
    See, thats a perfect example of why the call for ethics and the like doesn't work in an online setting. There isn't a way to consequence someone who cheats, griefs or generally just bugs the hell outta out. Nothing direct, or satisfying, at least. Sure you can report, and maybe they'll get banned, but not likely. PvP isn't really gonna change anything either, since death has little impact on the game.

Its really a shame you can't really find the punk and beat them up in real life. Or at very least hack and melt their personal computer. THAT would be satisfying.

exactly im not really an ******* just trying to make a point

Re: about ethics again

Originally posted by tavumebottes
    some need to remember some old thread

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=85316

Anyone here win the lotto anytime soon? Lets start up a collection for bus fair to all the trolls house's and beat on them a bit.... except me of course.

IT is unfortunate that there is no way to enact retrribution in this game. Yes, it IS only a game, but it is a game where you interact socially with other people, and thus, you should act appropriately.
    Nitsobar - lvl 219/13 Doc - Equipment - Perks - History
    MrBruce - lvl 204/6 MA - Equipment - Perks - History
    MsHackalot - lvl 123/9 Twink Fixer - Equipment - Perks - History

Veterans of Synergy Factor

Click to email me

What the main problem is in the game is way too many unsupervised CHILDREN that are playing the game who have never experienced the real world as they live sheltered lives. They are use to getting what they want. This is fully apparent if anyone watches the auction channels and OOC for a while.

But the ARKs really can't do much about it as the policy that THEY have to follow means that they have to witness the incident for them to be able to take any action, which is a slap on the wrist and then "off you go...play nice with everyone !" Only to have the same child start up again 5 minutes later.

What sickens me MOST is that a good part of these "children" are adults.

Originally posted by Windbane
    exactly im not really an ******* just trying to make a point
    Sorry didnt mean to sound like I was id'ing you specifically. Just your post was the perfect example. You made the point great

A true test of one's character is what one will do when one knows one will not get caught.
    ~Heaven just isn't hot enough, Burn me a light inside. Living my life's not hard enough, Take everything Away.~

I am a Neutral Evil Human Fighter Thief : Follower Of Cyric

Originally posted by mittens
    A true test of one's character is what one will do when one knows one will not get caught.
    hear hear.

215/15 | Lagerlad Atrox Adventurer | eqp | Mostly indestructible
    214/13 | Xpie Atrox Meta-physicist | eqp | Supernova!
    Member of Ragnarok

Originally posted by Zeronx
    What the main problem is in the game is way too many unsupervised CHILDREN that are playing the game who have never experienced the real world as they live sheltered lives. They are use to getting what they want. This is fully apparent if anyone watches the auction channels and OOC for a while.

But the ARKs really can't do much about it as the policy that THEY have to follow means that they have to witness the incident for them to be able to take any action, which is a slap on the wrist and then "off you go...play nice with everyone !" Only to have the same child start up again 5 minutes later.

What sickens me MOST is that a good part of these "children" are adults.
    Thank goodness you added that last part into that or else I'd have to flame you.

And about the actual thread, I concur. There needs to be ethics in this game (as with any other online game) but the lack of retribution other then "wahh wahh I hate you!" /tell's. And that's just the attention that they probably wanted in the first place. That's generally why they do it: they want attention or the statisfcation of making someone mad. (I don't know how they get satisfcation from this, but, /shrug)

So, I don't see how an "ethics" system would ever work. We're pretty much forced to just keep growing our /ignore lists.

~Chris

Wonder how many people had to look up the word ETHICS cause so many seem to be lacking any.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Originally posted by Vixentrox
    Wonder how many people had to look up the word ETHICS cause so many seem to be lacking any.
    Thought I would save them the trouble =)

eth·ic
    n.

A set of principles of right conduct.

A theory or a system of moral values: “An ethic of service is at war with a craving for gain” (Gregg Easterbrook).

ethics (used with a sing. verb) The study of the general nature of morals and of the specific moral choices to be made by a person; moral philosophy.

ethics (used with a sing. or pl. verb) The rules or standards governing the conduct of a person or the members of a profession: medical ethics.

I know that I have gone in and removed my ignore list a few weeks ago just to see what had changed from all those that I had ignored.....and some went right back on it for the very reasons that they were put on in the first place which had to deal with the subject matter of this thread.

Online Consequences

In reply to those who say there are no consequences in an online environment...

I believe there ARE consequences. They aren't as obvious as RL consequences, but they are there.

Why do people play online games rather than offline games? If you want a good RPG there are pleny of very good offline RPGs, not to mention a lot of other types of offline games. I think it's fairly clear that people play online because they like to meet and interact w/ people. Now, just like in real life, the people you are able to connect with will be ones who like you and your behavior. So, if you are not a nice person online, you'll not make too many friends w/ the nice folks out there...you may even piss some of the nice folks off.

THAT is the consequence. Of course, for some it isn't much of a consequence...just like RL punishments, they don't hurt people who don't mind them. But I still think those people are missing out.

Example: I was in the ent arena w/ some guildmates doing some NR/evade testing and a certain clanner came up and ganked one of us who was at 50% already and then buttoned out. We waited around for him to try again and we killed him. Now, I figure we are in a sort-of state of war w/ the clans, so it kinda makes sense...lame, but not necessarily outside of expected behavior...however I do feel somewhat friendly OOC to some clanners I've gone up against in pvp, but this guy's not making friends that way.

Later a soldier asked me for a duel to 50% HP and I accepted even though he was much above me and I am both a gimp and don't know what I'm doing. He got me to 52%, waited for my NS to drop and alpha-ed me to death. Not cool...unethical...etc etc. He claimed accident but told me he was RL friends w/ the clan ganker and was on the phone w/ him at the time of his friend's gank and subsequent death. Think it was an accident? If so, I have a GA7 disk for the first person to give me a GPH and Prof Jones vest (the best one...won't take the lower ones).

So...did the gankers have their fun? Possibly. Did they make friends? Nope...and they probably don't care...but to me they still lose out.

So yeah, I think there are online consequences.
    Nochnaja

Keep safe, and may the clans fear you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast