Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R.U.R. in trouble? Mr. Hubble sue's

Exclamation R.U.R. in trouble? Mr. Hubble sue's

This is quite a disturbing event on the news that I picked up today. Basically it is true that Mr. D Hubble has indeed bought a Cleaner bot-Model P. H. E. W. Y. type 6. I think its just another scammer trying to make money, tell me what you all think, and dont panick. This is the first minor complaint we have recieved, and I see no reason to go losing valuable sleep over this rubbish.
    --CrattyJack (R. U. R. Sales)

---------------------------------------------------------
    At approximately 2:30pm Yesterday, a new type of cleaner bot produced by Rubi-Ka Universal Robotics (R.U.R.) allegedly attacked its owner, Mr. David Hubble and fled the Family household.

The cleaner bot named 'Milly' had a patented revolutionary Quantum Positronic Thingy TM. Relatively a new product on the market, it boasts abilities such as being able to communicate in 'A more humanoid manner'.

Mr Hubble had this to say, "It went mad! Simply mad!... I was sat in the kitchen going over my personals, when I heard the bot rummaging around in our bedroom. I investigated and was shocked to find that the bot was taking my wife’s clothing out of her wardrobe! But more ghastly was that it was wearing my wife's more appealing lingerie!... I confronted it, it went berserk! It made a mess of the room and even accosted myself! It knocked me over and ran out of the house. It was a good job my wife and children were not around to experience this."

After contacting their lawyer, the Hubble family has decided on suing R.U.R. for the value of the bot plus damages. As evidence of his claim, the Family doctor examined Mr. Hubble. He told us the following, "It is possible that the bruising that Mr. Hubble received could have been caused by the robot."

When R.U.R. were approached they simply said that the matter was under investigation, and wished to make no other comments at this time. As for Milly the robot, its location is still unknown.

Nina Nanar Reporting for the Omni Herald.
    Last edited by SinisterCake; Jan 7th, 2003 at 12:14:56.

Whats an Omni citizens to do then!? Who can you trust if you cant
    trust your bot!

Cratty,

I don't get it. Our domestic bots bots don't attack people... well not often... or at least they are not meant to. My point is, even if they do attack someone, they don't enjoy it...much.

Its the women clothing thing that's got me stumped. I don't remember coding that. This would be a symptom of extreme neurosis in the bot's Quantum Positronic Thingie brain were this true.

Anyway I've been running simulations on our Multivac budget mainframe just be sure. Then ran them again after I heard our junoir, atrox programmer, Noholdsbarre, had worked on Milly. It still doesn't make sense.

I simply don't see what could have gone wrong. Maybe if I could get hold of Milly I would be able to give a more positive answer.
    Till then, it's anyone's guess.

Dabblez
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

A reply from junior programer-Noholdsbarre

" Hmm whats this all about RUR and Hubble suing us?!''
    Clancy bring me the programming notes on PHEWY !"
    *Quickly and attentively looks over all the notes*
    ''Ah as i stated before i see nothing in the inherent
    programming concering womens clothing ,let alone aggresive behavior. There is no coorelation!" Reads futher
    on down the program*

"And see here . all the finest parts ie notums chips ql 200, Androd ncu made with alloy , and the Postonic
    Thingy is made with enhanced nano tuning. Dont see how
    th bot ever steared off its nanopramming .''

Unhappy

Dear R. U. R. Staff

I think we had better start to snoop around, discretely of course. The news today had visual captures of the bot leaving the hallway of Mr. Hubble's house. It was indeed wearing what looks like a thong?

Take a looksie for yourselves, that is a, err thong right? Or it could be my imagination? *Looks at the photo, scratches his head*

I just hope our battle range don't have any programming for a need to wear womens clothing? *Imagines a Jaggernaut with a large pink flappy mini skirt with matching pink boob tube and headband, and shudders*

Dabbzie, I'm sure it will work out fine *Crattyjack transferes his accounts to off-world shores*

-Crattyjack (R. U. R. Sales).

Nevver considers placing a large order for domestic bots to be sent to Tir before realizing that Clanners would never use anything that involves house keeping.
    Back to the drawing board!
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Hmmm thats odd...

Sits at her desk eating a double bronto burger with cheese and wipes her fingers on her pants leg...

Hmmm this is odd to say the least... I mean yeah so we're making them more humanoid... but for Milly to want to play dress up???

Takes another bite of her burger and stares at her bot as she thinks

Well I will go over my humanoid attitude adjustments once more... I know Noholds was a bit skeptical about using one in good ol Milly but she was doing so good before she left here... I just can't ...well... maybe they opened up her back pannel or gave her a bad grade of oil.

Wipes a dollup of ketchup from her paper before sending it to the other member of RUR leaving a large smudge down near her name...

I'll keep working on it team... lets all keep in contact about this... and maybe Milly will come back here?

Ahgenda.

Originally posted by Nevver
    Nevver considers placing a large order for domestic bots to be sent to Tir before realizing that Clanners would never use anything that involves house keeping.
    Back to the drawing board!
    Wait!! Quick Nebber!

Let's make a small robot, covered in good-smelling soap (as to attract a large amount of clanners). Then when a lot of people are nearby...IT SELF-DESTRUCTS!

MWAHAHAHAHA.
    ~~~~~
    Katelin "Missmaul" Locknane -Sloooowly climbing her way out of the dank pits of gimpness. But stil crazy. Ya know...just in case you cared.

pffft...like good-smelling soap gonna fool any o' us.

We dun go for a big 'ole bar of ho'made lye soap and a Brillo pad...need dat deep cleanin' powwa to git dat dried bluud of dem dead Omni folks offa our skeen.

Originally posted by MissMaul

Wait!! Quick Nebber!

Let's make a small robot, covered in good-smelling soap (as to attract a large amount of clanners). Then when a lot of people are nearby...IT SELF-DESTRUCTS!

MWAHAHAHAHA.

From the desk of Noholdsbarre

''Well now i never had the intension of progranmming the bot
    as a weapons or means to fight the Clans. An interesting idea
    but out of the question right now. Besides it would not fit in
    a weapons terminal.'

Whats that i hear about a bot sighting!'
    Last edited by rheena; Jan 8th, 2003 at 04:04:26.

Dabblez stays up all night, running simulation after simulation on her much abused Multivac budget mainframe. She concentrates on Ahgenda's Humanoid Attitude Adjustment protocol. Dabz doesn't quite trust the HAA yet, for the simple reason it's not something she wrote herself. By dawn she is convinved that her bot is just fine and Mr Hubble is clearly not telling the whole story.

Dabblez examines her empty fridge with a frown. Fortunately the little Newland market right next to apartment opens early, so she heads there. A coffee and croissant later, she knows what needs to be done. Flicking through the gird directory she finds the contact information for a local detective agency, Foresight.

"Yiis is not going to like this." as she places a call, "but we got to find out more about this Mr Hubble."
    Last edited by Savoy; Jan 8th, 2003 at 21:25:37.

Hi,

Yesterday (08/01/03), Dabblez and I decided to root around together at the Roompa’s bar. The bad news is that their beer seemed quite flat, and Harry seems to be getting lippier these days. The good news is that should we need a lawyer, (a small chance by my guess) then we may have a free one who may be able to help us in our defence should it come to it. The Lawyer’s name is Mr. Age (Alamexis - The Law Society); it’s nice how things are turning out so far considering.

I also managed to gain a Red Tape member’s interest in out products, not that surprising really as our products speak for themselves hehe (*coughs a little*). So, should a Red Tape official by the name of Kithrak contact you, please direct him my way.

Oh, and no sightings of Milly as of yet, it seems we may soon need to hire a detective from Foresight, and/or recruit some freelance types for a search and capture job… Yiis, before you say it… No I have no idea how much it will cost. Keep up the good work everyone; smile, and the World smiles on you… (*Harry is heard in the background * “Master, its Smile with you, not ON you”, Crattyjack growls a little, then continues). Be nice to have a projected costs assessment too of possible err, future financial damages Yiis. Till we conference again,

Regards

Crattyjack (R.U.R. Sales).

OOC

Please feel free to contact any of us in the RUR if you are interested in participating in this RP storyline, send tells to either Crattyjack, Dabblez or Yiis to find out how.

This is open to RPers, regardless of being in a guild or no, for those who wish to try RP and have ideas. All are welcome

OOC

Crattyjack (RUR Sales).

Meanwhile, over in the admin office...

The small clock on the shelf chimed midnight, but Dixie didn't notice. She continued to work on a marketing analysis, based on the figures that had come from Yiis, as well as recent developments with the Milly situation...

It had been nearly a week since the Omni Herald had run the story, but fortunately, RUR had managed to effectively squash the story. Damage control, in the form of a small donation to Big Louie, had resulted in a quick and efficient muzzling of Nina Nanar, Herald reporter. Oops, former Herald Reporter. She gave a wry little grin. It didn't hurt, either, that the story had originally run during the 3am gridfeed. What luck, the one time of day when nobody pays attention to the news....

The grin vanished, replaced by a thoughtful frown. Although the story was momentarily out of the public eye, Rubi-Ka's most popular tabloid, The National Inquisitor, had run a piece on their front page, titled "When Household 'Bots Go Horribly Wrong". When she'd spotted it on the screen at her favorite cafe, she'd read anxiously through it. But it was just wild speculation, what-ifs, things like the toaster-bot jumping into a sink full of water and deliberately electrocuting people. Completely ignorable, if it weren't for a fickle public, the very same public who spent money. On R.U.R. 'bots. A story like that could frighten off potential customers. A disaster for sales.

Her thoughts moved on to Milly and her owner. That Mr. Hubble. After reading the reports from RUR's engineers, she was pretty sure he had messed with Milly's settings. And now he was trying to sue. She made a mental note to contact Big Louie, have him pay a visit to that family doctor, get himself a 'physical'. Check out that doc's credentials...

She pulled her attention back to the figures, and shook her head. She had read through them already, four times, not quite certain she believed what she was seeing. Since the story had been squashed, she had a few well-placed ears, reporting back rumors of 'bots-in-lingerie'. The amazing part was, their sales of the Cleaner bot-Model P. H. E. W. Y. type 6 had increased dramatically. In the past four days, sales of that particular model, Milly's model, had increased by 50%. Two bots had been sold, another two ordered. Apparently there was something to the idea... a bot in skimpy clothing.

She made a mental note to discuss this with Dabblez, who had been writing their advertisements. Perhaps Dab could have the bots show a little more leg or something. Or design a 'french maid' costume. Hmm... perhaps she was onto something here... a catchy name... GirlBot... no... VixenBot? No, VE might file copyright infringement charges. Besides, it called for something more.. intriguing. Something to tempt the more discriminating consumer. A femme fatale, a cleaning bot, all in one... Femme-bot!

She wrapped up her marketing analysis, attached a memo requesting a board meeting soon. She also shot a quick note off to Yiis, requesting a more private meeting, to go over the marketing budget. A little more cash would definitely be needed, both for advertising, and for Big Louie.
    "Dixie" - Young adventurer, anthropologist, marketing rep for R.U.R.

Kiyoko "Barlau" Grebel - Martial Artist, PR Director, Law Society of Rubi-Ka

Meanwhile, blissfully oblivious to RUR's marketing department's dark and underhanded schemes (and in all fairness why else does anyone go into marketing if not for the dark and underhanded schemes?) , Crattyjack and Dabblez meet Multima of the Foresight detective agency. Multima strikes Dabz as extremely professional and as such little intimidating. RUR haven't really got the hang of this "professionalism" thing yet.

The issue under discussion is serious. RUR is just starting up as a company and it is heavily in debt. The bad publicity as well as the costs of losing this battle in court could spell the end of the company. Bankruptcy and the forced selling off the RUR's precious patents loom.

They go over the facts surrounding the Hubble case. It's Dabz firm belief that her bot could not possibly malfunction the way Mr Hubble claims, and that for whatever reason he is lying is his account of the events. Multima gives no indication whether she believes Dabz or not, but she agrees to make a preliminary background search on the Hubbles.

( /ooc Many thanks to Multima of Foresight for writing up this report )

Taking her note padd from her pocket, Multima sat down at her desk in the Foresight office.
    She spoke flatly to the computer as she waved her hand over the keyboard, “logon user Multima, and bring up a new job file please, the customer is RubiKa Universal Robots”. The screen filled with a database form and at the same instant, her padd beeped softly as the terminal extracted her field notes and prepared to perform the requested pre programmed background search.
    “Soft search protocol detected access flags on this subject, search terminated” the terminal announced in Multimas voice.

Multima frowned as she read what little information the search had found:

Identification and Background history

Subject: Hubble. David. Omni-Tek ID-178629-OTS-89456-222GCH age 34 std years. Profession: Engineer

Position: Omni-Tek Transit Division, Omni1 Ent. Maintenance coordinator, Whompa operations.

Spouse: Hubble. Carol Mclean. Omni-Tek ID-182542-OTS-96743-212GRD Solitus Female, 33 Std years. Profession: Doctor

Position: Omni- Tek Medical Division, Omni1 HQ Medical.

Dependants:

Hubble. Jane. Omni-Tek ID-298282-OTS-14273-212GRA Solitus Female, 6 Std years.

Hubble. Simon. Omni-Tek ID-302184-OTS-15874-222GDD Solitus Male, 4 Std years.

Last known residence:

Apartment 4b High-rise 2 Omni 1 Entertainment sector RK.

Financial information
    (Information path, read Tagged)

Partial Employment Record.

Nov *****. Involuntary transfer to OT transit division from OTRK cybernetics division with consequent reduction in salary. (Information file, read Tagged and Level 1.)

Jan***** Transferred from OTCybernetics HQ on Omni Prime to OTRK Cybernetics division as Senior Engineer, in neural systems development. (Information file, read Tagged)

May***** Graduated with honors from The School of applied cybernetics, Omni University, Omni Prime. (Information file, read Tagged)

“Transfer that to my padd, and log off” she said as she stood up to leave.

From Noholds Desk

While finishing his breakfast at his computer console, Noholds reads the Foresight Report, ''Hmm seems this Hubble guy is an engineer with a specialization in cybernetics.''. He continues reading the report, ''Now this interesting... Hubble to a involuntary
    transfer and a reduction in salary.'' He activates his com system to leave a message on Dabbz desk, ''This is Noholds .I was just reading the findings from the Foresight Agency. We should have them ask Mr. Hubble about the transfer.''

Talking Cratties Bedroom.

After the meeting with Sulema “Multima” Kerans of the “Foresight” Detective agency, Cratty deliberated with Dabblez, deciding in fact, it would be good to prepare a group that would ultimately search for the missing undergarment wearing ‘Milly’ bot. He’d have to wait for clearance, as his savings (or lack of them) were short as always.

Maybe Multima would be interested in following through with joining in the search? Maybe she was indeed looking into shadowing Mr. Hubble? He’d have to contact her for what she had found out so far. He opened up his schedule on his PDA, and realised he had forgot to remind Harry, (His Bot) to remind him to ask the others of RUR to be available for Multima’s report, (if she had one to give).

He sighed briefly, then squirted breath freshener into his mouth, continued his phoning of potential customers for R.U.R’s wonderfully caring products.

Omni-Pol revision of R.U.R. bots is at this time pending. An experienced staff from the Medical Research, Trading & Engineer Department of Omni-Pol will be assigned within the next 2 weeks for revision of the R.U.R. bots being sold by this company on Rubi-Ka, regarding security and durability under extreme conditions.

If approved, R.U.R. may continue selling the robots which are of a model which is or was revised by the Omni-Pol engineers which will be listed in this public thread at a later date. Unrevised models may not be sold on Rubi-Ka. Violation of sale restrictions placed upon certain products which are not directly produced and sold by Omni-Tek (as is the case with R.U.R. robots), may result in issuing of a fine up to 100.000.000 (One Hundred Million) credits but at least 10.000.000 (Ten Million) credits against the violating company in addition to charges of treason against the Omni-Tek Hyper Corporation, brought forward to the Omni-Tek Rubi-Ka Administration directly or an organization authorized of pursuing the duties thereof.

Omni-Pol protects!

Sincerly yours,
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol
    Level 207 Omni-Tek Dictator
    Meister's Reinforced Suit - Bureaucrats may be gimps, but at least we know how to look good.
    Account Created: 2001-06-27 23:07:32

I'm still waiting for the design specs on my custom bot that will make bronto meat into wine and follow me around with a handy tap for pleasurable all day drinking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast