Thread: Aftermath (Massive RP Story! Pt II)

Aftermath (Massive RP Story! Pt II)

What a day, she thought.

Sleep was so desired this evening, but work had to be done concerning the day’s events. So there she sat, on the edge of a couch in Reet’s infamous “fireplace room”, back against the wall. Slowly, she’d tap at her comm’s keypad, trying to relax a bit while she worked. Clanners and employees alike bantering in the background near the fire didn’t distract her too much, but it kept her mood mellow. Tapping lightly at the keypad once more, Raquel finished up her report and settled in to give it a quick read over before being satisfied.

Andromeda – ICC HQ – 09:00(gmt) January 4th, 29477

On Saturday evening, several members of such organisations as SPARTA, Devil’s Advocate, Draco Legionis, and Law Society of Rubi-Ka along with an un-affiliated employees entered ICC HQ to begin an operation of extraction. SPARTA Operatives Ashwell and Markarian, along with myself were assisted by Don “Doncarnage” Matusz, Simon “Catuela” Peasley, Shad “Metalynx” Somani, “Boundbylove”, Jennifer “Velynna” Devilos, and Racheal “Blackpetal” Schuemann of Devil’s Advocate, Malcom “Alamexis” Age of Law Society of Rubi-Ka, Cyrus “Dartagnan” Bacarella and Corie “Kailey” Bacarella of Draco Legionis, and Julia “Julilla” Silvestrini. The entire group met on the platform just above the ICC HQ to prepare as unseen as we could. Devil’s Advocate members became the “distraction” team, myself, Operative Ashwell, Doctors Silvestrini and Bacarella formed the extraction team, Mr. Bacarella stayed with Operative Markarian, and Mr. Age and Miss Schuemann were off site to prepare for any legal related actions.

Operative Markarian prepared several routines on her terminal, as well as assisted in the ID “masks” applied to the members of the teams. The distraction team was prepared, openly willing to show their faces. Operative Markarian and company remained on the platform as she worked on security layers on the HQ below. Having applied some nano-surgery to my facial features, I took the extraction team to the edge of the HQ to drop down as soon as the security was taken care of. One by one, Jen pulled the layers down, sensors, camers, doors.. the extraction team dropped in and headed for the nearest unsecure door, slipping in as Jen confirmed the previously assumed location of Tisantous, inside. The map and coordinates Jen fed to the inner team aided them as they slipped into the interiors of the HQ. Soon they located Mr. Saar’s beaten and bruised body, secured him for transport and began to make their way out. The distraction team which had been causing a bit of ruckus outside met them as they began exiting. During this time I had stationed Malik near the exit to begin his program to transport the extraction team within the allotted five minutes available to complete this “mission”. The security could remained breached for only that long, and as the extraction team met Malik to be ported, the distraction team pulled their weapons and threatened us.

During the pre-hit planning stage on the platform, I had received a comms from a source on a rumour that Don and Catuela had planned to “kidnap someone unimportant within an hour or so”. Naturally since Catuela showed up at this operation, it was apparent who that captive was. This is partly why Malik was given the order to begin his warp-nano as soon as the team hit the doors. Don and company had thirty seconds to grab Tisantous and thankfully they did not succeed. Tisantous was safely transported to Rome Red, along with Malik, the two doctors, and myself. Mr. Age had met us there when we arrived and kept an eye out as I quickly herded the group to my apartment. We made it there safely and Don and company haven’t seen hide nor hair of Tisantous since as he’s being kept in my apartment(security having been tightened quite a bit) while Juls watches over his condition. He’s stable for the moment, and will be taken to Omni-Med under heavy security.

At this time, DA members have not made any further threats, and claim to have attempted the betrayal to insure their safety, holding Tis ransom as a way to keep OTSEC from letting them take the fall for this dangerous operation. As amusing as it would be to insure they DID take the fall, that was not intended in this operation and Mr. Age himself offered his protection to the fullest extent of the law that he could provide.

Spartans - I salute you!

Raquel Svancara
    Intelligence Team Leader - SPARTA

She nodded slowly, a finger pressing a small light to confirm the packetmail. The agent leaned her head back to relax further against the wall, to take a moment’s rest, which only managed to remind her how tired she was. Minutes passed and Raquel noticed she was starting to doze. Quickly, she shook her head and opened her comms display once more. May as well check up on …

The transmission light flickered eerily up at the young opifex, almost on cue. She pursed her lips together and answered the comms.

“Hello.. Miss..?”, the voice was weak and some kind of uncertainty laced it.

“Raquel Svancara… Mr. Saar, you’re awake!” she replied excitedly. It was good to hear his voice, and to hear how steady it was after all the… pain he endured. She inquired to how he was and suddenly he asked where he was. Raquel had posted some security at her apartment, Juls was also staying there to watch over Tis’ health. So, she explained his being in her apartment. He replied back with more uncertaintly and frankly said he wasn’t in any apartment, and was indeed outside! This came as odd and worrisome to Raquel.

“Okay, stay there, I’ll be right over”, she muttered while gathering her things off the couch. She gave the patrons of Reet’s a wave and headed out the door, making her way to Borealis. Her worry grew as she slipped through the city, Tisantous sending her another transmission.

“Ohhh, Don’s… here.”

Raquel gasped loudly, worry etched across her face for certain now. She picked up her pace, now in the grid, hurriedly making her way to the Rome exit. Tis would not become victim to more criminal greed. The agent growled as she ran through Rome Red, unsheathing her Boomer as she did so. As she entered Rome Blue, the best guess, she tapped her comm. to confirm Tis’ location. Sighing with relief at confirming his position, Raquel swiftly ran to HighRise 7. She could see two figures standing there on the platform, one in a cloak, the other not, their silhouettes seeming like living shadows. Creeping up the platform, she gradually and quietly made her way to the pair, Don’s back to her. Calmly she closed in on the soldier, pressing her pistol into his back. She wasn’t sure what to expect and wasn’t going to beat around the bush with her expectations. He better behave, she thought…

“No Sezzy, I’m not here to take him.”, Don quipped at her.

Raquel wasn’t happy to see Don there, but she didn’t plan to go shooting him down in the middle of Rome Blue. They retorted over the lack of trust between the two, and Don kept up with his untrusting attitude. The agent was highly annoyed. How could she put faith in someone like Don, knowing full well he’d pull what he did. Annoying and amusing it was to be the one to relent and trust… Tisantous wasn’t doing all that well, coughing in the background of their banter. Finally Raquel focused on Mr. Saar’s medical plight. She sneered at Don as he walked off in anger at her, and placed a shoulder under Tis to help him to Omni-Med.

Carefully they wandered across Rome, Raquel closely studying Mr. Saar from time to time. He was so weak, so racked by what they had done to him, but he was alive. Alive.

Now to get him safe. He needed to have his vitals fully checked, any wounds healed, damage repaired, and he needed rest. Raquel smiled briefly, hoping that he would soon acquire that. Things seemed so hopeful now, now that he was free. Someone had other plans, however, as Tis groaned loudly against her and gripped his head tightly with his palms. Raquel pulled away, concerned, curious about what was assaulting this poor nanomage now. He doubled over at the waist, gripping at his head, screaming. The agent pulled up her wrist and tapped on her comm. to activate a bio scan on the politician. Things looked normal to her eyes, but she was no medic afterall. Something started itching her inner ear… like, a small twing, and Tis doubled over once more before leaning up and suddenly activated a nano-program. A swirl of yellow notum swooshed around his form, the sound of flesh being torn apart filled the air.

The agent gasped, realizing what was going on by the time another swirl of notum formed. Something had gone rogue in his NCU system. Damnit, she muttered inside her head. She whisked out a device and snapped it into Tis’ cloak, after opening the fabric. She pressed a few keys, barely noticing the approaching yalm. Something was horribly wrong with the sequences running in his NCU, and Raquel started trying to pinpoint the problem.

“What is going on?”, Don asked her.

“There’s some kind of unauthorized.. something overriding his NCU.”, Raquel replied. Don looked around worriedly, muttering about someone being near. Perhaps… though it was a satellite link. Don suggested what seemed to be the most viable option for the moment. Tisantous was in horrible physical shape, and his NCU executing such dangerous nano-programs would kill him soon. The state of his insurance, at this point would be questionable no matter what the records read as. She nodded to the Devil’s Advocate member, then began pressing some keys on her comm..

“I’ve seen Jen do this before, I think I know the correct commands… I guess we’ll see.” She concentrated as Tisantous wept in pain, her fingers moving deftly over the small lit keys on her comm.

Program layer down.

Connections severed.

Basic NCU functions disabled.

Instantly as she tapped the last command in, Tisantous yelped and fell limp to the ground of Rome Blue. Don and Raquel dived to catch each one of his arms, held him up and knew where they were headed. Omni-Med.

Lights shone down on the trio as they passed the park benches of Rome, the Whompas, and the clubs of Omni-Entertainment. Gently, they carried him onward, his breathing ragged as his body fought against the lack of power to his NCU and systems. Being a nanomage, this was rough on him, they expected. Continuing on, west, Raquel could even spot the medical offices. They eased closer, so near, yet it felt miles away with each step. They came to the ramp to the building, Tis becoming quite heavy at this point. Tis’ body began to tighten, tense, muscles coming to life as he stood up between then. Startling the two carriers, Tis merely stood there strongly planted to the ground as a voice traveled in the air.

“-attempting to rebuild signal with host-“
    “-location verified-“ Raquel grabbed at his collar, pulling, yanking, needing him inside. They had to find this device and remove it, and fast! She pulled on him harder, his body unmoving. That same female voice ehoed out once again.
    “-engaging self termination sequence-“

“No!!”, the agent screamed out. She knew what to do, what this was. Slowly a countdown process began and Raquel accessed the link in his belt again, tapping in the counter-sequences on her keypad. Faintly, she could hear Jen’s voice in the background. It took a long few seconds to register her presence there as she tapped at her comm., but when she did, the agent calmly but urgently called out to her.
    “Jen! Get over here, fast.”
    Lauri
    Cookiemonger

The Original GSP Groupie

Transmission

Jen woke up all of a sudden from a sad and confused dream, where shadows were moving endlessly around her, where Heiji's presence was furiously shaking in despair and anger at what he hadn't prevented to happen, where she had recognized, or thought to, the fading silhouette of Malcom, her Malcom, the one she loved so much. She was freezing, too - the appartment's whole atmosphere was cold and and dry, and she briefly frowned, wondering what the problem was. Then all the events of the previous days crashed on her again, causing her to remember, to realize once again what they had done, and to allow herself a small smile, glad that they could retrieve Tisantous, yet also anxious at what was still to come.

Sighing, she quickly decided on the clothes she'd wear, and sat in front of her term, grabbing her comm and taking a quick glance at the most recent gridfeed. First thing she always did - this, and turning on the SPARTA channel, in case of an emergency. Almost immdiately, she heard voices in the comm - Raquel's vocie, talking, someone else's voice... a feminine one, this time... then a man's, that could very well be...

Don? Again she frowned. Something was wrong, a feeling made even stronger by the fact that Raquel didn't immediately answer her. And when the Agent was so busy...

"Jen! Get over here, fast", the young Opifex finally said, her voice covering for a brief moment the turmoil on her side of the line. The Fixer didn't need a second to shoot her answer - "Where?" - and seizing the bag she was always carrying with her, the one containing her tools, as well as her gun.

"West Entertainment, near the bridge to HQ", Raquel hastily added. "Omni-Med office nearby. JEN, HURRY!..."

Don's voice in the background, again - swearing. Something about 'Saar'. This time she couldn't be mistaken. For Raquel to associate with him after what Devil's Advocate had done the night before... surely the situation was a real mess. "On my way, sis", she said, and with these words, she was out.

"...What's the crap?!" were her first words when she entered the office Raquel had given her the coordinates, a few minutes later. Both Agent and Soldier were holding Sid Saar on the med table where he was lying, surrounded by clouds of nanobots randomly weavering.

"We've got a rogue device or implant.. Jen.. it's trying to connect to some host!" Raquel hissed on the department's channel. The Fixer frowned in worry. Random programs execution, it seemed... she knew from xperience what a NCU gone awry was looking like, after all.

**Relocating signal to host:database:sequence 561.LOS098.CCI", the unknown feminine voice she had already heard suddenly said, coming from.... one of Saar's implants?

"Jen, come look at this... Wanna hookup and give a quick lookover?", Raquel frowned, finally turning to her. "He's got some kinda device implanted... It was sucking power off his head implant I think? Running programs unwillingly. We shut down his NCU to prevent it, and everything was fine... But they activated some kind of sequence in the "implant" to self-terminate him." She stopped to catch her breath; in the mantime, Jen had already pulled her own deck out, along with the wires she'd use to plug herself to the nanomage's faulty NCU. A dangerous task, but there was no way she could perform it without a direct connexion. Running the Shield on ehr own machine first, to be sure she wouldn't be caught off-guard by a sudden intrusion. Then, she'd need to send an analyzis algorithm to Saar's NCU. And then...

"Okay, I guess I need to plug. Hold 'im in case of", the Fixer said, already executing the said task, all data compiling one after the other on the small display she had opened.

**Location Verified:Sequence 561.LOS.098.CCI Initiated:::.

"...I thought you had him in fecking stasis?!" Don exclaimed, but Raquel simply let out a growl.

"Goddammit.... When did it begin?!"

"...20 minutes ago?..."

Jen swore between her teeth, her fingers tnow typing sequences of coding on her term, more and more faster. Trying to locate the source, to analyze it, to take control, or to destroy if needed... and this, without harming the Nanomage... the host body. Her head was spinning a little; things were going so fast, so fast that she herself didn't understand how her body was able to react this way, when her mind was still wondering what exactly had happened. Wasn't Saar supposed to be safe? His systems now checked? His...

**Foreign Virus Detected::Initiating destabilizing nano into foreign NCU::: Jen blnked once, immediately executing a counter-measure procedure. She knew what it meant. She knew...

***System Overide:::Initiating Virus:Host::Jenae Demenzia Markarian:::***

"...Jen, DELINK!" Raquel almost screamed, yet it was already too late. With a jerk, the Fixer felt all her neural connexions freeze for a second, as the... 'virus' was sending its own recognition program to her NCU. She stumbled, eyes wide open, a whimper escaping her lips, yet her fingers still deftly running on the datapad. The Shield was still protecting her, in spite of the shock; she let out a groan, panting, hands trembling on the term now. "...Initiating shield procedure #3..."

**Reconnecting to host::: Sid Tisantous Saar::: ....Error::Foreign NCU detected::Verified::Initiating Perma-D6 Virus:::

She felt on her knees, barely suppressing another groan. She was only dimly aware of what was happening around her, of Don's voice, irritating voice... of Raquel tellin him to calm down... before turning to her again. "Jen... what the hell's going on..."

"...Send command..." Jen whispered as an answer, unable to focus her gaze for the moment, connexions swirling, mind racing over all the different procedures she could try. "...su /saar, connect to root...overriding procedure...."

With a brief nod, Raquel connected to Saar again, helping her as best as she could. "Connected." Catching her breath, the Fixer wiped the sweat from her brow, going on entering command after command, while Don was making sure nobody would enter the room now. And on this, for sure, the both of them could trust him.

**Scanning location**::: Targets Verified::: Don Doncarnage Matusz:::Raquel Sezmra Svancara:::Jenae Demenzia Markarian:::Sid Tisantous Saar:::***

"...Oh god no..." Raquel faintly whispered, but it was so hard focusing on her words... She closed her eyes for a few seconds, wondering if it was fair letting her sis being endangered while executing the procedures too, but if they were in need of twin commands... The conflict raging within Tisantous, the virus she had to restrain, fed by another source of energy... "Need to..." ...reach his head implant... "...give control..."

"Sis... just give me the word..." Raquel frowned, a second before the now dreaded feminine voice was heard again. ***Overriding voluntary nerve funtion of host:::***

Jen blinked, raising her head to Tisantous at the exact moment when his body gave a jerk, his arm suddenly moving toward Raquel, grabbing the agent by the throat... grasping tightly. She heard her sis' gasp, as her eyes were widening, and she clawed at the Nanomage's hand. Don was trying to pry his hadn away too - yet Saar was now squeezing, squeezing, a defence reaction induced by what was currently controlling him... And there was no way they could harm him. not him. Not after this whole ordeal. Not after having got him out of Andromeda. Not...

"Initiating emergency control procedure. All systems turn down!"
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

On the Edge

She was aware of Raquel, a few steps from her, gasping loudly, clawing at Saar's hand in a vain attempt to get rid of him - how could the weakened Nanomage still be so strong... that was another question, yet she didn't doubt that the virus in his body didn't really care about using his last nervous and physical resources until death. Aware of Don, trying to helping her, swearing between his gritted teeth, doing his best not to kill Tisantous while he wa at it. Raquel, again - tryign to remain calm in spite of the pain, trying to keep her breathing, once again in vain. Aware of what was happening, and at the same time, looking at it from another stage, a stage on which words were lines of raw eneergy and images appeared as constructs made of bytes and ciphers, dropping around her in quick staccato. Her figners playing with the silvery strings of various connections, though her hands hadn't left the keypad on which they were working. Sending, processing, eceiving - her what looked like a way to the core, there another firewall she could quickly construct, slowing the deadly processus.

Jen only cast a brief glance to her 'sister', her lips moving all by themselves, a wan reflection of the thoughts that were crossing her mind too quickly for her to really word them. "Counter-procedure, type: Wyvern, order: security override, target: Sid 'Tisantous' Saar". Another string of commands, her mind drifting more and more quickly toward the exhausting procedure of switching to machine la nguage directly. Slowing, slowing... stopping it. ".....:::////:?:?0000**System Failure***;;;Host Lost***" Tisantous tightened all of a sudden as the Fixer was briefly taking control of his system, and his arm dropped dead to his side, releasing Raquel, the Opifex Agent slumping against the wall for a second, gasping for breath. It wasn't over. It wasn't over yet. It was... tossing and thrashing between her hands. Trying to escape her net. Trying to find the flaws in it, and given how fast she had had to give shape to it, there was no doubt there were some. Jen knew she had to go on, whatever Don's or Raquel's actions.

"Maybe we should have found him a cell", Don snorted, before taking a step in front of the Agent. "Sez, get behind me. If he tries again, it better be me."

Raquel simply frowned, turning to the Fixer still kneeled on the floor. "Jen... dare we restrain him?" She looked at the Agent for a short moment, her mind trying to make the needed connections to understand her words, backing from machine to human. "...Keep 'im tight. Ain't sure yet..." A second later, her attention was caught by Tisantous again, whose left eye had suddenly begun to faintly gleam. "He will merely tear himself apart to get out", Don was shrugging, however putting his gun away. "Break his damn bones. If he tries again... I will restrain him". Raquel could only nod, for he was right. This thing implanted in him... was destructive. It simply wouldn't care.

Jen blinked, not paying attention to what they were saying anymore, already focused on another matter - on the net, and on what was trying to find a way around it. She had to hunt it to its source, and destroy its very core, or all would be useless. She was sending commands again. "...Counter-measure type: Worm, infiltrating!"

Don frowned again, putting a hand on Tisantous' shoulder and braces, doing his best to prevent any action the nanomage's body could intent. "***Host connection Engaged***::???000//*lost**" This voice... so mechanic, commenting what was initiated as if it was the most normal thing in the world... the Fixer was really hating it now, the need to shout at it, to order it to shut up, becoming sronger and stronger by the minute. Shuddup. Shuddup. Shuddup!... But the words still bassing between her lips were different. She knew what was to come, she could feel it... in the depths of her self, trained not only by Deannah's memory, but also through all the years she had spent with Heiji. The sheer instinct. "...Initiating shield control, Layer 4." She had to be ready when the blow would come.

"Brilliant little device they've got there..." Raquel muttered on an angry tone, still rubbing her throat. "Would I be harsh in suggesting ripping it out of his head?"

"If it were anyone else, I would stab him now and put him out of his misery", Don echoed. No physical move was yet coming from Tisantous, but...

"**foreign NCU detected:::Jenae Demenzia Markarian::Initiating Perma-D9 virus:::***" She was somewhat prepared to it, but the shock was indeed stronger than she'd have expected... and coming more quickly, too. "JEN!" Raquel almost screamed, her eyes growing wide, upon seeing the Fixer swaying again. Damn... it was hurting!... Way more than a simple intrusion. It was trying to kill her - to force her to use her own nanobots against herself. The counter-procedure was already at work, but she had to consolidate her own shield against that... although being invaded this way was also allowing her to look at it closer, and better understand it. Jen slightly groaned, putting a hand to her throat, feeling that her body wouldn't hold the pressure very long if her own programs didn't do the job in time. Something blacked out he vision for a brief moment - a surge of nanobots directed at her... Don standing behind her, rowning, a Virus Scanner between the hands... that would buy her time. Raquel, checking her link to Saar, anxious. Pulling the display on her comm up, lowering her own security layers, adding them to hers. Yes... that would be enough. Layer 5 was completed now, and she had three seconds to act.

The Fixer managed to get control of her hands again, almost jumping on her datapad, wildly, initiating command after command. "...Val would kill me if he knew", Don was saying, pulling out a few odd chips now. "I've got some... creative defenses. meaning illegal of course. Technically." It wasn't really a matter to her anyways; all means were good when in such a case, and it'd help Raquel keeping up too.. helping her sending the needed commands at the needed time. "... /su root, sending override procedure... /su Nezumi, break code, analyze..." If she managed to override it, the Nezumi would infilitrate with it, and...

"***System Failure***?|??|//\000:Connetion Lost***::Initiating Perma-D9 toxin sequence:::***" Raquel gasped, understanding, only if a little too late, that this the targets were them all. Almost silently, a small metallic tube ejected from Saar's left eye implant, releasing a hissing sound. A greenish gas following, slowly spreading in the whole room. Jen was still attempting at controlling the virus, stopping the replication process, reverting it. "The toxin..." Raquel gasped, words getting muffled as she was covering her mouth; her mind was able to register this new information, although with the desperate feeling that it was getting all too slow. Being sitting on the ground though saved her, as the gas was only slowly descending; Don was holding something to her, something she recognized for being a helmet equipped with a filtering mask, and she coughed, doing her best to hold her breath while fiddling with the helmet and keeping her other hand on the pad, not stopping sending commands. Raquel was already at the other end of the room, connecting to the med terminal to open up the ventilation system. A swift sound, the environment controls taking over, flushing out the toxins. They'd better keep the helmets for a few more minutes, but...

"***::Link Up NCU::Memory:Target Sid Tisantous Saar::System Initiating Removal Sequence:::***It was really getting old, but at least... she had succeeded for the moment. "How can he live through this... this...toying!..." Raquel whispered on a disgusted tone of voice.

" ... Override completed... computing destruction sequence....", Jen simply echoed, finding hard to concentrate on human word sequences. She opened a second display on her terminal, beginning to enter some more coding. The program that she would inject at the virus' core, forcing it to compute auto-destruction. She feared that if removing Saar's implant before having done this, it would kill him, all that simply.

"**::System Failure:::***:Lock Down Sequence Initiated:::Conservation of Resources Complete::Shut Down Connection***:::" A new protection layer, an emergency one. Jen allowed herself a slight smile behind the helmet's mask knowing that it was only a question of minutes now. The Nezumi had already locked the encoding, analyzed it, and she could rely on these data to destroy the virus. Hoping, though, that the person or people controlling Tisantous' implanted device wouldn't prevent her from doing so.

And then, Don simply frowned, and said something very odd, pointing at what Saar had been carrying since the rescue and even before. So evident that in the emergency of the situation, none of them had thought about it earlier.

"This bear...is this something he often carries? It could be maintaining the link... Like a satellite link up - a comm device..."

Yes... it was evident. Raquel reached over for the bear and examined it, however not managing to pull it from Saar's grasp. In a casual gesture, Don pulled out a knife, eyes glinting, ready to cut the stuffed toy open. "Think he'd mind if I cut its little face open? Check it for signals."

"Looks like it's stabilized... fer the moment", Jen simply said, letting out a slight groan of frustration. Not the end yet. "...Modifying core, entering breaking sequence..." Raquel had turned the bear now, leaving an easier access to Don's knife, before putting her hand in the stuffed belly, searching, pulling one side of the fabric aside. "Careful..." The Agent nodded, carefully working her fingers through the fabric, flexing her arm for a moment... then abruptly stopping.

"...What's this..." Tilting her head, she pushed a bit deeper, getting a grasp on something inside the bear's stuffing.

"***Connection Lost:::System Lock Down:::***"

"...Sending control sequence #2a, 2b. Analyze : ports 45-, 457, 458" Jen's voice was echoing oddly to her ears, droning, almost as mechanical as the impersonal tone of the implanted device. She blinked a few times, part of her trying to catch a glimpse of what Raquel was now retrieving. "God, I hope it's not another damn trap..." the Opifex sighed, pulling her hand free, her fist full of strangely wrapped papers. Tisantous slumped down on the medical bed, unmoving, unconscious, as the link was brutally broken. Nothing more happened; both women let another sigh, this time of relief, Jen slowly slumping against the wall near her, slightly panting. "Oy, hang on!..." she heard Raquel say, and she simply, faintly smiled. She just... needed a minute or two to get accustomed again to a human way of thinking, leaving behind her the complex algorithms and their logical sequences. "Looks... safe now", she whispered, slowly raising a hand to put the helmet off, as Raquel was taking a few more seconds to check the medical terminal and the aeration system.

The Agent let her back against the wall, opening the bundle of papers, studying every inch of layers, eyes growing wide with each new sheet. Still feeling somewhat hazy, Jen slowly got back on her feet, staggering a little, curious a well now, however wary of Tisantous' state. Both of them were keepign an eye on him, checking for any strange vital signs.

"I'm gonna stay plugged in, in case of..." the Fixer whispered, ready to take control of the Nano-Technician's NCU system again. The virus' destruction sequence was at work, but she had left a security back-up, in case it would... begin again.

That was when Saar's eyes suddenly began to glow an eerie red, and a hissing sound went out of his pale lips, a sound the three of them knew too well. Raquel gasped, mouth open; Don pulled on an abashed look.

"D...Damon?..."
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Malcom Alamexis Age sighed with a hint of disappointment as he dropped the three contracts onto the desk beside him, taking a seat at a nearby terminal.
    __________________________________________________ _ MEMORANDUM TO FILE

Director and General Counsel of the Law Society of Rubi-Ka
    Date: January 12, 29477
    Re: Per Diem Analysis of Documents retrieved by Raquel Sezmra Svencara
    __________________________________________________ _

What follows is the first portion of my review of the above-noted documents, conducted on a per diem basis in order to ensure both thoroughness and accuracy. In summary, I conclude that these agreements are elaborate forgeries designed and enumerated in such a manner so as to deflect attention away from the true perpetrators of the recent string of crimes committed against Omni-Tek Corporation (“OT”) on Rubi-Ka. The purpose of selecting the hereinafter noted parties as “targets” for this deflection of culpability is not discussed, as this would be nothing but speculation given the evidence at hand.

THE AGREEMENTS

Upon cursory examination, all three agreements are copies of documents originally printed on ICC letterhead, but this amounts to little. Given how miserably easy it is to procure illicit ICC items, such as the famed ICC cloaks, it is relatively obvious that letterhead would not be too difficult to obtain. Furthermore, as these documents are reproductions, they lack the noticeable security measures (such as watermarks, etc.) generally found on official documents.

Counterparties

The agreements variously list the following counterparties as signatories, as noted:
    (i) Sol Banking Corporation (“SBC”) – all agreements;
    (ii) TruSpace Networks (“TS”) - all agreements;
    (iii) The Council of Truth (the “CoT”) - all agreements; and
    (iv) the Interstellar Confederation of Corporations (the “ICC”) – agreements I and III.

I was initially taken back by the absolute absurdity of these unlikely partnerships, for a number of reasons. For example, the Clans assisted OT in battling SBC after SBC landed troops on May 19, 29418, as well as the open discord between the ICC and SBC following the ICC’s delaying the arrival of peacekeepers on Rubi-Ka.

Furthermore, it is extremely unlikely that SBC and TS would contract with the Council of Truth as well as the ICC, in light of the Clans Rights Treaty dated as of July 4, 29223, which provides a limited lease on certain of the lands of Rubi-Ka from OT. It is quite unlikely that the Council would have trusted the opportunism of SBC and TS to honor this treaty, given their obvious distrust for OT (and indeed, all corporate entities).

Couple this with the fact that agreement II details a plan for the overthrow of OT on Rubi-Ka, titled “The Dawn of Sol”, and the two corporations’ sincerity, (especially SBC’s) is cast into tremendous doubt. This is reinforced by the fact that CoT member clans New Dawn, Terra Firma, Gaia, and particularly and especially the Unionists, would never in their rightful minds contract either for the purposes outlined in these agreements, let alone acquiesce to assisting other corporations. More on my reasoning can be found here.

What is interesting to note within these documents (specifically, agreement II), is that, as consideration on its part, the CoT agrees to supply “manpower” for the battle against OT – in the form of the Dust Brigade. The audacity of this contractual term virtually cancels any su****ions of the legitimacy of these agreements, as I quite frankly do not believe that Clans New Dawn and Gaia would support the violent actions of the Dust Brigade, given their peaceful, pacifist nature. The Dust Brigade has claimed the lives (permanently, I might add) of almost as many clan-affiliated citizens as OT employees, and, notwithstanding the actions of two secretaries within the CoT, most are quite eager to see the Dust Brigade punished severely for its actions.

ICC INVOLVEMENT?

Perhaps the most damning evidence against the agreements’ legitimacy lies in the fact that the drafters failed to take account of the structure of the ICC and the manner in which it operates.

The ICC is composed of a total of 263 member-corporations, of which only 7 are classified as “Hyper-Corporations”. This is indeed a large number with vastly different interests among them. All corporations, regardless of size, post delegations to the ICC’s General Assembly, which is the principal and sole decision-making body of the ICC in ordinary times. The secretary-general is merely its figurehead and principal, and lacks the personal authority to bind the full 263 corporations to any decision she makes herself.

The only way the secretary-general can exercise exclusive, binding powers over the ICC is by invocation of the Emergency Powers Act, which was used during the Corporate Wars of 29389, and more recently in August of last year as a result of the destabilizing political situation on Rubi-Ka.

Furthermore, the ICC does not itself engage in any business; this would be a gross conflict of interest on the ICC’s part. As such, it lacks resources of its own. The ICC’s operations are supported by member-contributions (the allocation and structure of which is currently unknown), and as OT is the largest and most profitable corporation in the known universe, it is logical to assume that a great number of said resources were donated by OT.

Given that the Isidra Derousse lacked any “emergency power” at the time of these contracts’ execution, if she is indeed party to any of them (I note that a reproduction of her signature appears on the second agreement as witness thereto), she acted on her own, and was not in a position to bind the ICC.

(Side note: even when the Emergency Powers Act has been invoked, the ICC can’t take unilateral action that is not supported by member corporations. This is evidenced by the fact that the ICC was still compelled to put a verdict to vote in the general assembly, despite the operation of the Emergency Powers Act.)

It is thus reasonable to conclude that the ICC as a whole and as a legal entity is in no manner involved herewith.

Preliminary Conclusions

Although I have yet to completely set the second part of this analysis in writing, it is worthy to note that I can no longer support the actions of Mr. Damon “Demonantous” Fadri, and my involvement in this matter is at an end.
    __________________________________________________ _
    Alamexis glanced at the time-readout on his datapad. He was still a ways away from Rubi-Ka, and Raquel, Randa and Jen needed this information fast.

Flipping open his comm, he immediately typed out a quick message to his sister.
    Last edited by Ammicus; Jan 13th, 2003 at 00:40:23.