Thread: Detective Story:2 Family

Detective Story:2 Family

“excuse me ms., are you new here?” Montyne hid her annoyance with a fake smile as the rent-a-cop security officer stepped in her path.

“Why yes, yes I am darlin’.” she flashed her eyelashes playfully and spoke to him with a southern belle drawl.

The guards face reddened in the embarrassment of slight lust for the blonde woman. “I’m sorry ma’am but visitors must check in at the front desk to be put into our security systems.” he reached slowly for the slimline briefcase she held. “I’ll have to run scans on your case as well.”

Montyne brought the case closer to herself, broadening her shoulders in defiance. “A visitor I am yes, but my business is with Mr. Manderly; and if you even so much as dare damage any of the research in this case I’m sure that Mr. Manderly will have you scrubbing the toilets for the rest of your career.” Montyne handed over the case with another forced smile. “Now I’m sure you’ll be mighty careful with his now?”

The color in his face vanished quickly as he held the case. “Mr. Manderly is expecting you then?” She nodded slowly as he handed back the case without tamper. “I’ll be sure to let him know you’re on the way Ms,?”

“Mrs. Donahue, sugar.” She began walking pass him, stopping to rub herself up against him lightly. “Perhaps we might be able to over look the Mrs. for tonight?”

He chuckled softly trying to hold himself together. “Yes ma’am...”

Montyne walked on towards the elevator wave behind her. “ta ta lover boy.”

-----

Montyne spun the clip of keycards she pocketed off the guard as the elevator accelerated upwards. She pealed the face of Mrs. Donahue off slowly, throwing the latex mask to the floor; she had gotten lucky with the guard being a pervert. Had the security guard been an Atrox or another woman she’d have a much harder time getting access to the building. The elevator stopped but the doors didn’t open.

“Roof reached, no access without proper authorization.” chimed the feminine voice of the elevators computer. Montyne picked through the keycards, swiping each one in front of the computers sensors until the doors slide open. Wind whipped into the elevator car throwing the blonde wig from Montyne’s head and she stepped out into the opened air. She was on one of the taller buildings on the north side of Omni-Entertainment, just behind the wall that separated the clean city from it’s sewer district; her target would soon be coming through one of the gates into the city. She had to make sure this would be the last time he did so before she could leave the dust ball of a planet she found herself on.

She unzipped the dress suit she stoled and tossed it to the wind, no use in acting like a business woman anymore, she was free to be a killer again. Montyne set the briefcase down on the tarmac roof and set off to work taking out her tools of the trade. She opened it up, withdrawing the pieces of the disassembled rifle hidden inside. Once assembled she slipped in one bullet into the chamber and made her way to the northern edge of the building.

Montyne brought her sights onto the border crossing searching the faces until she found the bald man with a ponytail. Her heart went cold as she started pulling back on the trigger. “Die daddy...”

Omni-Entertainment sewer district, a place where the weak and powerless come to live under the shadow of the tall buildings. A place full of pushers making and sell their products to the junkies that are no longer welcomed in normal society; the same people that huddle in stairwells of long abandoned buildings at night for heat. It’s where people come to die or in many cases be killed without being under the watchful eye of Omni-Tek. For Tua it’s home, a refuse among the outsiders that both respect him and fear him enough not to bother with him.

Every morning Tua shuffles out of his office located in one of the more sturdier structures and makes his way to the security gates to be let into the city to be able to go to his job; only to has to shuffle back home at night and repeat the process over again. The gates were set up to keep the majority of the rabble out of the city, each of the gates into Omni-Entertainment are stationed with guards more then willing to shoot off their assault rifles into the crowd that gathers everyday. Most of the people just want to get through the gates in order to get food or jobs, only the minority are here to cause trouble. Their stain is what keeps these gates closed and manned at all times; to have his mass of people filtering through the streets of it’s clean cities would tarnish Omni’s image.

Tua pushed his way through the crowd, walked up to the gate and flashed his Vector Blue badge to the guard sitting in the security booth. The gate didn’t open as normal. Tua brought a cigarette to his lips and looked over the guard hatefully.

“Sorry Mr. Cannon, the system is acting up today. We should have you through in no time.” answered the voice of the guard in the booth through a speaker.

Tua glanced at his watch, Dem was going to be hot that he was late. The gates slowly opened up. “All set sir, Have a good day with Omni-Tek.” He moved forward into the city when the world spun violently throwing him to the concrete a mass of pain and blood coming from his shoulder. Someone had shot him.

The guards looked dumbfounded at Tua laying on the ground, the crowd seeing him dying began to panic and entered flight mode. A large group ran for the open gates that stood open still waiting for Tua to pass, Tua could hear the guards curse behind their helmets and the familiar sounds of energy rifles charging rang in his ears. He picked himself up with his arm swaying lifelessly at his side watching the guards shoot into the crowd bolting for freedom into the city, more screams and more blood filled the air as Tua drew out his gun with using his good arm and limped into the city trailing blood behind him.

------

Tua leaned against a pole of a kiosk that had been set up near the northern Entertainment park, for the first time since being shot he glanced at his wound. The bullet had passed right through his shoulder, shattering several bones in it wake, he knew he was in bad shape. He cursed loudly sending a flock of birds tot he sky. Tua hated doctors almost as much as he hated Atrox, if he wanted to live he’d have no choice but to see one this time.

He looked south a bit to the Mongol Meat stand, it was late in the morning and the regulars were starting to gather for their sausage sandwiches. Tua pushed off from the pole almost falling headfirst before regaining balance, he’d lost a lot of blood and the world was getting darker. He reached the stand, pushing a suit off his stool as he put his weight onto the counter.

Tua reached for the cook, grabbing him by the collar and pulled him to his face. “Stims...”

Tua let go of the cook and collapsed .

“Daddy, you came home!” Montyne ran to the door of her parents apartment and jumped into the arms of her father. He lifted the little girl up into the air swinging her around in a tight circle. She let out a string of giggles and kiss her father on the cheek.

“Where have you been hiding all my life precious?” Tua placed the little girls back down on her feet, tickling her tummy as he did.

“I’m right here daddy! Come play with me!”

“I’m sorry hun, daddy needs to go back to work again.”

Montyne’s eyes becan to swell with tears, her lower lip jaunted out. “But Daddy...”

Tua knelt in front of her, wiping a tear that rolled down her cheek. “I’ve got more bad guys to catch, and after tonight I’ll have all the time in the world to spend with you.”

Her face brightened with a smile. “The whole world?”

“Not before bedtime little girl.” Emily Cannon, leaned against the wall watching the father and daughter with a frown. “It’s late Tua, she needs to be in bed.”

“But mom!”

“Go to bed, I’ll be in to tuck you in shortly.” Emily patted her daughters head lightly as she treaded by like a soldier marching through mud. She gave a sharp look a her husband. “And you... promising her such things.”

Tua opened his arms with a grin. “Baby, after tonight I’ll be a new man. I promise. All these long hours are finally going to pay off, we’re going to get these guys..” He moved to her wrapping his arms around her waist. “Then I’ll take some time off for you and Montyne, just the three of us.”

She pushed away from him and walked briskly into the apartments tiny kitchenette. “You say that like you almost mean it; just like all the other times.”

He followed her. “I mean it this time love. Tonight we go for the bust, and tomorrow morning I’m cooking you breakfast in bed.” Tua glanced quickly at his watch. “I need to run, I’m late.”

“I assume you came home only to grab some food?” She reached in the fridge and handed him small lunch container.

He lenaed in to grab a kiss and his lunch from her. “And to see my girls. I love you.”

Tua turned and briskly walked out of the apartment, she leaned herself against the kitchen cabinets and watch the door slowly close behind him. All she wanted to do was cry, but her eyes had no tears.

-----------

Montyne creped out of her bedroom and into the hall, her mother hated when she got up during the night to go watch TV; but she couldn’t help it, all the good stuff was on when she was sleeping. Normally she’d quietly sneak into the living room and watch whatever mommy was watching; but tonight the living room was dark. She glanced down the hallway, the light was on in her parnets bedroom, Mommy must have gone to be early she thought. She peaked her head through the doorway of the bedroom, her mother lied face down on the bed motionless.

“Mommy?” Montyne moved closer.

Her mother stirred at the sound of the girls voice but did not get up, from where Montyne was standing she could see a tourniquet still tied around her arm and a stim needle still embedded in her flesh. She ran back to her bed and leaped into bed, tonight she wouldn’t sleep; and prayed for the boogeyman to stay away.

-------------

The bottle of cheap wine fell from the night stand, spilling it’s synthetic alcohol onto the rug. The stain from it would only blend in with the rest of the stains from previous guest in the room. Montyne sat up in bed, a thin layer of sweat covering her body as shook of the dream of the past settled; her head ached as the hangover of the nights celebration of a job well done set in.

Tomorrow she’d leave the planet and her old life behind; but all she wanted to do now was get a drink and water and hope she’d be able to stand without throwing up whatever speck of liquor was still in her system. She picked her comm unit up off the nightstand, someone had called when she passed out in the cheap motel room; she watched the message light flash for a few minutes before throwing the thing across the room. Whomever it was can wait till she was sober.

(( ooc: sorry about the long delay with this one, should get back on track soon. Any feedback you have is acceptable as well =D )

“Christ Tua, can’t you start a day without bleeding all over my place of business?” Rocco wiped his hands on his apron, a piece of cloth that was made up more of stains then actual fabric. Rocco was an aging solitus man, his hair had long since grayed over and his belly started hanging over his belt. A retired mine medic he now spent most of his time working behind the grill at Mongol Meat and babysitting Tua whenever it was needed.

Rocco glanced over at the other at the stand, pushing their breakfasts forward and stepping away from the counter slowly all while staring wide-eyed at the dying man. He flashed them a crooked grin. “What, haven’t you bums ever been here when we get our deliveries?” One of the costumers, a portly nano-mage female in a suit made motions that she was going to be sick and ran off towards the whompas, the others followed shortly.

While Rocco was busy harassing his costumers Tua had slipped off the counter and fell to the concrete on his back, a small trail of blood followed his path down the counter. Rocco cursed under his breath as he reached under the counter and pulled out a bright yellow first aid box. Tua had asked for stims, mot likely the stims he gave Rocco months ago to use if and event such as this were to happen. The stims themselves were nothing more then a common mixture of adrenaline and pain killers; the dosage of each stim however was ungodly and would kill most humans with the exception of atrox. From what Rocco had seen of Tua in the mines years ago he popped the stims like candy. He picked up a fistful of the stims and hopped the counter.

He pulled back Tua’s collar trying not to disturb the bullet wound in his shoulder, he used his apron to wipe away some of the blood that began to dry on his neck. Rocco wrinkled his nose, Tua reeked of cigarette smoke, blood, and gun powder. Rocco cursed again and jabbed the needle of a stim in Tua’s neck.

Tua’s eyes flashed open, instinctively he brought his gun to the temple of the man kneeling over him. The man answered back with a swift punch between the eyes. “Stupid sadist, if these damn stims don’t kill you I’m going to.” Tua recognized Rocco’s voice. His body felt numb, Rocco must have given him the stims.

The world came back into focus as tua stood up, his right arm still hung limp at his side. “How long?” asked Tua holstering his pistol, he’d lost his other gun somewhere between the time he got shot and passing out on Rocco’s counter.

“I assume you mean how long were you unconscious. Only for a minute or two... now are you going to tell me why you‘re bleeding all over my property?” snorted Rocco.

“No time, I need to get to Rompas.” Tua could feel the effects of the stims starting to wear thin, he grabbed the handful of stims from Rocco and bolted towards the direction of the famous bar.

“A drink is the last thing you need right now!” Rocco shouted after him with no response. “Ungrateful prick.. don’t know why I even bother with you anymore.” He muttered more curses under his breath and set out the clean the mess tua left for him as usual.
    Last edited by Trybes/BarBile; Feb 1st, 2004 at 18:06:16.

Tua injected another stim, this time directly to the area around his wound; his body shook violently for a few brief seconds before he got control again. He entered into the main hall of the Rompa bar and was immediately confronted by a smiling, bored looking waiter.

“Welcome to Rompas Sir, would you like a table?” The blonde man had obviously repeated this line many times over in his career here.

“I need the recordings of your security feeds of inside the bar.” A few drops of blood dripped from Tua's fingertips to the waxed dance floor.

The blonde waiter’s smile vanish and was replaced with a look of surprise. “I’d have to get management approval for that sir.”

Tua pulled back the flap of his jacket to flash his gun. “The security feeds... now.” the stims were starting to make his head ache but the pain from the rest of his body subsided.

The blonde man stepped back and turned on the balls of his feet. “Right away sir.” His voice was shaking as he answered. Tua followed him to the bar area and leaned against in heavily, another small pool of blood formed under his hand as he watched the waiter type a series of keys on the computer behind the bar. Tua reached into his pocket and pulled out a cigarette from it’s pack and brought it to his lips.

“Hello Mr. Cannon, a pleasure to have you visit us again.” came a familiar voice behind Tua.

Tua turned, his cigarette falling from his lips as he went to light it. He looked up into the face of the man he’d only known as Whaynn, the current owner of Rompas bar. As usual the man was dressed in a finely pressed suit and a helper droid tagging along closely. The man’s soft eyes looked Tua over once, his breath shortened as he saw the wound and the amount of blood that soaked into his clothes.

“My god.... we’ve got to get you a doctor Mr. Cannon.” he turned to his droid. “Go see if there are any physicians in the building, quickly now!” The droid beeped a response and moved into the seating area to scan the crowds IDs.

“No doctors, I’ll be fine on my own. I just need to see your security data from the pass week,”.

“The security data? What for and with what authority?” scuffed Whaynn.

“Someone is out to kill me, I believe that little message you gave me a few days ago was a sign of it. I need to know who is after me.” Anger started to creep into Tua’s voice. “Now give me the damn data!”

“You mean your sister that was in here?”

Tua’s left hand started visibly shaking, the effects of the stims were getting thin again. “For the last time, I have no sister. All I want is the data.”

Whaynn straightened up and buffed his chest out slightly. “I’m afraid I can’t just hand them over to you...” Tua interrupted him by grabbing a hold of his collar with a bloody hand and slammed him back inot a nearby wall.

“Give me the damn data!” spat Tua.

Whaynn pushed him away with little effort at all, Tua grabbed the bar counter to keep from falling to the floor. “Now see here! You’ll get what you asked for but first you need to fill out all the paperwork then wait a few das for said paperwork to clear. Then and only then will I hand you any of the data disc that contain our security feeds.” He took his eyes off Tua and gasped at the blood stains on his suit.

Tua tried to pull his gun from it’s holster but couldn’t find the strength. “I’ve no time for your bureaucratic bull****.” He pulled again on the gun this time he managed to get it out and pointed at Whaynn.

“Mr. Cannon I am loosing my patients with you.” He slapped the gun out of Tua’s hand. “Kalthazyr! Get in here!”

An Atrox clad in a Miir suit and hood lumbered in from the back room of the bar. He smiled to the patrons in the bar and made his way to Whaynn and Tua. “Yes boss?”

Whaynn pointed to Tua quickly. “Get him out of here, he’s too weak to fight back so don’t worry about breaking any bones but if you must you must.” He turned to the bartender motioning to his bloodstained suit. “You, make arrangements for a cleaner to come remove what this man did to my new suit, hopefully it’s not ruined.”

Kalthazyr grinned and grabbed Tua by his bad shoulder, Tua winced in pain. “Come on bud, you heard the nice man. Out we go.”

Tua threw his shoulder out from under the atrox’s grip tying not to loose consciousness form the pain again. He turned and braced himself against the bar, he looked over to Whaynn who’d walked away towards the front bathrooms. “Call your cattle off, I’m able to find my own way out.”

Whaynn stopped and tunred towards them again, pointing directly to Tua. “I want you out of my bar. Kalthazyr get him out now!” He turned and walked away again fretting over his suit.

Kalthazyr reached his hand out to grab Tua again, quickly Tua leaped over the bar and bolted to the security computer. The atrox cursed as he made his way over the bar, Tua had just enough time to load the data he needed onto a disc and slip it into his pocket before being thrown forcefully back over the bar and onto the dance floor. Tua got to his hands and knees, tried to right himself again but was kicked in the mid-section for his troubles. Kalthazyr reached down and picked Tua up off the floor with a single meaty palm, a wide grin on his face. At least someone was enjoying this, thought Tua to himself just before being ejected out onto the street.

“Next time you come in here I get to break more then just your spirit little man!” Kalthazyr gave Tua the bird and stepped back inside the bar, the doors slamming shut behind him.

Tua sat up and pulled himself over to a support pillar to lean against it, he took another cigarette out from his pocket and successfully lit it. “Don’t worry, next time I won’t be half past dead.” He took a drag from his cigarette and pulled the disc he’d stole from his pocket. With any luck he’d be able to find out who had it in for him this time.

((ooc/

cheap bump, I'm not done with this yet.))

Talking (What's this?! An update? my god!)

Montyne approached the smiling nano-mage woman standing behind the counter, the closer she got the wider the woman’s smile would get. The skin of her face tightened unnaturally as if held together only by various regularly scheduled plastic surgery visits; a doctors will was the only thing keeping this woman from splitting at the seems. The woman stared at Montyne with soft blue eyes that seemed to dim and brighten with each thought; Montyne had heard about nano-mages back on prime, a breed only able to survive on Rubi-Ka. A people that sold their soul to the technological gods even before they emerged from their breeding tubes. The one before her was no different, with a quick glace Montyne could see the wires leading directly to her nervous system, hardwiring her to the space port’s computer systems.

“Welcome to Omni-Transportation, we hope your stay with us here on Rubi-Ka was a pleasant and safe one.” The nano-mage spouted her lines like a trained parrot, never losing eye contact with Montyne.

Montyne slide a ticket voucher from her back and placed it on the marble counter. “My enjoyment is not of your concern, just check me in so I can get off this rock.”

The smile on the nano’s face never vanished as she picked up the ticket and scanned it with her softly pulsating eyes. A few seconds passed and she placed the ticket back down in front of Montyne. “I’m sorry miss Cannon, this ticket is no longer valid as off 0300 hours this morning.”

Montyne clenched her fist to her side to keep from strangling the woman. “Check them again, please.” Montyne managed to crack a half hearted smile.

“My systems have already double checked the information, it says in the file that you yourself made the cancellation on the ticket. You also have a message from Omni-Prime to contact a Mr. Tanner as soon as you can.” The nano-mage smiled yet again and glanced over Montyne’s shoulder. “Next please.”

Montyne snatched her useless ticket from off the counter and tightly balled it up in the palm of her hand as she started looking for the interplanetary comm lines.

-----

“Hello love.” Tanner’s voice came over the public comm unit’s tiny speakers faintly and crackled, the connection to prime from Montyne’s location made his voice seem distorted but strangely still carried it demanding presence.

“Why are you keeping me!?” Protested Montyne, drawing looks form passerby’s.

“I gave you an assignment, and so far you’ve been very neglectful of actually finishing it.”

“The target was eliminated…”

“No he was not.” Tanner cut her off quickly. “Cannon is very much alive. Perhaps if you displayed even a hint of patience you would have seen that.” Montyne could hear him chuckle softly even over the terrible connection. “Just like your father.”

She slammed her fist over the receiver, causing a backlash of feedback to shriek out. “Never compare me to that man.”

“Very well, but your orders are still the same. He’s a very dangerous man to me, both of us.” He paused for a few seconds. “This time however you’re on your own, I’ve purged your bank account. Now you have no reason to go soft on me. Happy hunting my child.”

The comm line went silent and a warning message telling Montyne that a bill would be sent to her resulting from insufficient funds in her account to pay for the call. She was alone and poor on an alien world where the one man that ruined her life lived and breathed.