Thread: No need for resurrection, but how about this?

Question No need for resurrection, but how about this?

This may or may not have already been mentioned but here is something that, IMO, is essential at some point. And it would add SO much to the game.

Currently, there is no need for a resurrection line of nanos. We have cell-scanners. The intent/purpose (out-of-character) is to save experience. Well, what do you think of creating a line of nanos that does remote/uplink cell-scanning? Basically this line would perform the function of cell-scanning (saving experience) in the field. The percentage of experience saved would never be 100% like the stationary cell scanners in town, but would scale with level. For example, the first one might save 15 or 20% of the experience made since the last scan (in field or otherwise... i.e. town). And it should only be allowed to be cast maybe once per realtime hour. There should be single-target and team versions. The nano would also require cell-scanner uplink equipment, similar to portable surgery clinics. Now, this is where it gets touchy. In my opinion, this nano should be in the engineer's arsenal and perhaps, maybe also the doctor's. The nano should not only require appropriate nano skills, but also a very high
    amount of engineering skill, which is why I would say this line suits engineers best.

Just think of how group-friendly this would NOW make the engineer. I know I'm sold and I don't even play an engineer, heh.

Please consider the idea.

It's already been posted as an upcoming idea/plan for crats.

Single target only and a short duration.

ie: Damn he's about to die.

:(

Darn. And here I thought I had such a good idea.

Crats, though? That doesn't make much sense to me. Does it make sense to you? Are crats supposed to be efficient at engineering-type tasks? News to me, if so.

Oh well.

Crats have always had a role with exp. (Baton of Authority) So why not?

Yeah but...

That's from an OOC (out of character) point-of-view. Please do not miscontrue my meaning. I AM NOT arguing to take something away from crats. True, crats to this point have exp-centric nanos. But consider how experience is currently saved FROM THE ROLEPLAYING/STORYLINE point-of-view. Experience is saved via cell-scanning at a machine. Technology is involved. Now, perhaps I am not fully aware of the crat's skill set. If he is ALSO supposed to be talented in the field(s) of engineering then, by all means, grant this ability/nano to the crat. But I think an argument can also be made for Engineers receiving this line given that cell-scanning is accomplished by a machine; i.e. engineering/technology.

No, he's suggesting something completely different from the crat line. The crat nano reduces the xp penalty from death. So if you have the 50% nano cast on you (right before you die), you'll only lose half the xp you gained since you last saved.

This guy is suggesting a nano that 'saves' you.

So if you saved, and gained 100k xp, and used this nano (the 15% version), it would be like you went back to town and used the cell scanner back when you had only gained 15k (meaning 85k xp not saved). He's also suggesting limiting how often this can be cast, to make sure that the 15% limit does not become a joke..chain casting saves.

Although, in my opinion, fixers should get this theoretical line. After all, it involves hacking into the insurance companys' computer, and updating your data.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, you say? Very well, get out your pens, essay writers, and prepare to have your logic tested by steel!

Thumbs up Yes, exactly

Thanks, Spydr. That is exactly what I am saying. I was actually aware of the upcoming crat nano that reduces the loss in exp but I thought he was referring to, perhaps, an even newer one. I do believe this line that I am suggesting is more closely in line with your typical "resurrection" type spells you see in other games.

I suppose an argument can also be made for Fixers getting this line. Which class should actually get this line would be an interesting debate. But there are a few things that should be stated emphatically: 1.) Perhaps only one class should get this line, most notably Engineers (IMO); and 2.) it should require a portable cell-scanning uplink deck; 3.) it should require skills in addition to the nano-skills required to cast it, like electrical/mechanical engineering and comp lit; 4.) it should possibly require some kind of costly reagent... perhaps some kind of disposable energy cell required by the uplink/deck, for which the cost scales with the QL of the nano (a 95% cell scan should require a much more powerful source of energy-reagent than, say, a 15% scan).

The line could go something like this:
    Lv 20 - Remote Cell Scan, Limited: saves 15% of an individual's exp and saves them at their last scanned cell-scanner terminal location, can be cast once every 60 minutes (realttime)
    Lv 25 - Team Remote Cell Scan, Limited: 15%, all party-members, 60 minutes
    Lv 40 - Remote Cell Scan, Inferior: 25%, indivdual, 55 minutes
    Lv 45 - Team Remote Cell Scan, Inferior: 25%, party, 55 minutes
    Lv 65 - Remote Cell Scan: 35%, individual, 50 minutes
    Lv 70 - Team Remote Cell Scan: 35%, party, 50 minutes
    Lv 95 - Remote Cell Scan: 50%, individual, 45 minutes
    Lv 100 - Team Remote Cell Scan: 50%, party, 45 minutes
    Lv 130 - Remote Cell Scan, Superior: 65%, individual, 40 minutes
    Lv 135 - Team Remote Cell Scan, Superior: 65%, party, 40 minutes
    Lv 165 - Remote Cell Scan, Supreme: 80%, individual, 35 minutes
    Lv 170 - Team Remote Cell Scan, Supreme: 80%, party, 35 minutes
    Lv 200 - Remote Cell Scan, Transcendent: 95%, individual, 30 minutes
    Lv 200 - Team Remote Cell Scan, Transcendent: 95%, party, 30 minutes

On a different note, another nice side-effect of giving this ability to engineers is that, this nano coupled with the Engie's new summon-player-to-group-location line, gives you your basic "resurrection" type spells.
    Last edited by CryptoNut; Nov 30th, 2001 at 22:55:47.

A mobile cell scanner nano would probablly end up with the same effect as an XP loss reduction nano. If you save 50% of experience gained since last save and there is an XP loss reduction nano to 50% of normal guess what, they will end up with the same exact effect.

Also keep in mind the bureaucrat has zero reason for a team to want them. The nerfed charms and scares don't exactly work as well as it sounds on paper during battle. (Mezzes are semi bugged btw.) Our baton line of +3/6/9% is still not by any means amazeing. Ask yourself when was the last time you've even seen a crat or heard someone ask for it. At least the bureaucrat can finally have an excuse for not dishing out enough damage while in a team now.

Before everyone screams bloody nerf or why is so-and-so getting this and not us, know that its not the first time they gave away "unique" abilities. Charms for traders and new teleport nanos for everyone but fixers comes to mind.
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

I feel that the mobile-scanner line would work best in tandem with the xp loss reduction line, much like NT's work best if they get mat crea buffed by a MP.

Also, the mobile-scanner line should definatly never be better than the crat's emergency line.

Think about it.

You have gained 100k xp since last save.

Use Team Remote Cell Scan - 15%
    You have now saved an additional 15k, making your unsaved 85k.

You go out and kill more stuff, and you spot a deep red that you think your group could take (though there is risk of death, here).

You're back up to 100k unsaved. You take on the mob.

Alas, your eyes were a little bigger than your gun. The mob has one of you almost dead, little chance of saving him (poor doc is trying his/her hardest), but, on the bright side, the mob is almost down. The crat launches his 50% save onto the poor sap who's almost dead. The guy dies; losing only 50k, rather than the 115k he would have lost, otherwise.

And I agree that it should require other stuff besides just the nanoskills, like comp. lit. and that energy-cell (very good idea, btw).

But I think the best class for it is fixer. As Charles said,
    . . . know that its not the first time they gave away "unique" abilities. Charms for traders and new teleport nanos for everyone but fixers comes to mind.
    Fixers should get a new, unique nano that makes them stand out in people's minds. Very few people seem to realize that the fixer's grid nanos are alot faster than anyone else's 'escape' nanos.

Soon after such a nano, we'd be seeing things like:

We need crat and fixer, got doc and enforcer, and nanotech!

And I still say the engy shouldn't get it. But you could make the energy cells...
    The pen is mightier than the sword, you say? Very well, get out your pens, essay writers, and prepare to have your logic tested by steel!