Thread: What the HELL?!

Red face What the HELL?!

What did you do to NPC's?!?! I'm sitting in the far end of this mission fighting a dark yellow atrox trader, and I see two white dots running toward me from the other side of the mission! these two nanotechs somehow saw me through walls, doors, with superman hearing or x-ray vision to come to the aid of this already-kickin-my-ass atrox trader. WTF?!!?

As a NT i know how hard this crap is. The add problem in missions just went over the roof with 13.5. It was bad before, but now its just near impossible to fight through an qual lvl mission.

Another huge problem is the 2 mob rooms, I know a tank can whack through them, the problem is a NT (or other weak hp class) cant.

Now Funcom wants no tank mages, in the same second they force us to be tank mages in missions (and outdoors too, most dmg -> aggro).

Honestly, no idea what to do bout the add problem, maybe fix some line of sight issues etc., but I'm pretty sure the 2 mob rooms will stay (so much to tank mages).

Dark

The problem is what the server is doing and what the client predicts it's doing, not to mention the comunication of those two. When you see a mob 50m away from you or behind a wall it's not 100% that it is really there. AO Client predicts too much and doesn't check with the server if the prediction is true b4 making it real.

There are tons of examples. For instance if you have a mob running to you from a distance, calm it, the calm will be succesful, then watch it slide all the way to you. The mob will be close (client prediction) to you and calmed. but when you break the calm by shooting at it, it will warp back to the position it was originally calmed. Same thing happens with the "stuck" bots at the doors. If you pet is stuck and you issue a follow/attack commands to it....the client thinks it was succesful and you see yer pet gettin free off the obsticle, but in fact it is still stuck on the server and it will warp back to the position where it was, once it gets to the point for client to really check what's going on on the server.

Things really do get amplified with server-client latency.

yep

example

pvp

I switch out hammer with beam every hit and people dont see it, they just see my hammer hitting fast. Then they tell me I am exploiting. I explain that I am switching out and that the clients dont see it correctly (latency and all). Most of the time they beleive me, probably because I am an honorable fighter and try to let everyone have a good time.

hard to beleive how much misinformation your client gives you.
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

WTF
    Now I get a mission full of green rollerrat matriarches, and queens. I kill the one in the entry room easily, heal, and lure the 3 rats in the first main room... killed all 3 fairly easily. Then the instant I stepped into the main room again, I get

Attacked by Rollerrat Queen...
    Attacked by Rollerrat Matriarch...

and see 6 red dots coming from rooms outside of the main one! just from me stepping, stepping into the main room! Now there are 6 rollerrats waiting in that first room, while I try to kill them one at a time. Did you give rollerrats super hearing or feeling that they can hear my light opifex steps through walls, and over at least 20 meters of ground?!?!

There is some seriously weird stuff going on, because I never - NEVER - have these sorts of problems. Ever. I don't know where you're missioning or what QL or anything, but something must be broke.

Originally posted by Gil-the-Arm
    WTF
    Now I get a mission full of green rollerrat matriarches, and queens. I kill the one in the entry room easily, heal, and lure the 3 rats in the first main room... killed all 3 fairly easily. Then the instant I stepped into the main room again, I get

Attacked by Rollerrat Matriarch...

and see 6 red dots coming from rooms outside of the main one! just from me stepping, stepping into the main room! Now there are 6 rollerrats waiting in that first room, while I try to kill them one at a time. Did you give rollerrats super hearing or feeling that they can hear my light opifex steps through walls, and over at least 20 meters of ground?!?!

hehe, is this the green-slime-with-idiot-walkways mission type?

This happened to me tonight. I kill the first three mobs and step out to begin clearing the rooms and all of the sudden every mob in the mission (or so it seemed) started running towards me as soon as I stepped out of the entry room. There was at least 7 mobs that decided to leave their little rooms and come after me.

wtf?

Yes, this and mobs

- spotting you through closed doors
    - shooting you through closed doors
    - shooting you through 5 walls from 3 rooms away
    - warping through the walls (i.e. when you pull them to the mission entrance, they get there before you, and aggro on the doc)

None of these "exploits" are available to us, players.

I wonder how come this game is experiencing so much entropy lately. Compared to what it was several months ago, the current version of AO looks more like the proverbial beta than anything before it.

I know that people get bored, I did, but then found other things to do. Things like the longest road dungeon are exciting to explore once, interesting to do again, useful to do for the third time if you want the unique items. At the same time they are less than .01 percent of what's available to be explored out there.

I wish that instead of trying to incorporate story line and introduce new dungeons/monsters, the basic issues of stability/playability were addressed first.

I don't think they should let the world builders try to fix the code

Originally posted by reality

I don't think they should let the world builders try to fix the code

Errm, my post above was about how many programmers does it take to screw in the lightbulb.

I'm assuming that funcom has a finite amount funding, and allocating more funding to development/testing could help things.

That's all. See?

Hmm, wait, no, oh I know, I don't think they should let .... post ... on the .... boards

No, that didn't come out right

I'm sorry, I should have quoted this :
    I wish that instead of trying to incorporate story line and introduce new dungeons/monsters, the basic issues of stability/playability were addressed first.

So from this you have inferred that I was specifically asking for world builders to fix the code?

I pity you...

At level 80+, this problem is rude beyond belief

I have posted to the forums about this problem. I have talked to an ARK about this problem. It is annoying and seriously hampers high gameplay.

I have a level 85 adventurer, who is twinked to kingdom come. Q148 riders, Q125+ armor, Q142 implants, flurry of blows, almost maxed evades, 9% melee rings x 2, bracers of shielding + damage shield, etc. Can't do a 50% mission in 13.5.

You fight one mob, and can barely handle another. Then you get aggroed by 2-3 in other rooms.

I'm about to quit missions. The ARK I talked to said "smarter mobs." Bah. Funcom doesn't know crap about play balance. Zoning in and out of a mission is not fun.

Tim

"I wish that instead of trying to incorporate story line and introduce new dungeons/monsters, the basic issues of stability/playability were addressed first. "

"So from this you have inferred that I was specifically asking for world builders to fix the code?"

The world builders incorporate story line and introduce new dungeons/monsters. Thus to suggest foregoing that to fix stability/playability makes it sound like you think the same people work on both world building and stability/playability. As in most gaming companies, different teams work on different areas of the game. Funcom can put the entire world-building department on 12 hours shifts doing nothing but dungeons without even minutely affecting the people whose job it is to improve stability/playability.

i run mission all the time and i have never had ANY of this **** happen.....
    Level 132 Nano-Techniction <---- Retired till NT fix
    Level 72. Engineer <---- why is my pet running the wrong way?
    Level 69. Agent <---- Retired sence Concealment Nerf.
    Level 58. Adventure <---- TONS of lost ip.
    Level 41. Meta.<--- Mp's are too uber.
    Level 30. Enforcer <---- press "Q" and watch tv.
    Level 29. Doc <---- Can't..... Find.... Group.....

Quote of the week "When people complain equally about all of the classes, then the game is balanced."