Thread: Engineer Pet Timeouts :o(

Thumbs down Engineer Pet Timeouts :o(

i've been having *issues* with the AO server... if i get booted and can't get back on in time, my robot has gone away. i think they need to give us a grace period of 15 - 30 minutes with our bots. considering we have to *pay* to make them it's really just a waste of $$$ everytime you get booted offline. and with some people, that can be quite often.

make it so that if we reconnect to the server within say, 30 mins, our robot will *rebond* with us and still be there. i don't see as how that's a lot to ask for. sometimes it takes me around 5 mins to get back onto the server, and that can be rough in a mission if all the people have respawned, which has happened to me three times so far. :oP

well that's my thoughts on it, anyway. :o)

*begs* hehe

W

worse, how about when your bots disapear for no reason when exitng missions

Re: Engineer Pet Timeouts :o(

Originally posted by thatDangElf
    i've been having *issues* with the AO server... if i get booted and can't get back on in time, my robot has gone away. i think they need to give us a grace period of 15 - 30 minutes with our bots. considering we have to *pay* to make them it's really just a waste of $$$ everytime you get booted offline. and with some people, that can be quite often.

Sure it would be nice, but there are other bugs I want fixed first. Like when my pet goes dumb and just stands there not attacking a mob which is about to kill me.

make it so that if we reconnect to the server within say, 30 mins, our robot will *rebond* with us and still be there. i don't see as how that's a lot to ask for. sometimes it takes me around 5 mins to get back onto the server, and that can be rough in a mission if all the people have respawned, which has happened to me three times so far. P
    I had this happen to me a few times, and I actually don't think a 30 minute timeout will fix that. I think the server actually went down for a short while, and then was rebooted or something along those lines.
    Atrocious - taking ugly to the next level.

Atrocious - Atrox Enforcer - Member of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Aniana - Solitus Engineer(Uber gimp) - Applicant of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Plasmatiq - Solitus Soldier

Plus countless other alts I play with once in a while.

Think your given about a 3 minute grace period. If my computer crashes i can reboot and log in quick and 90% of the time my bot will still be there with me.
    If its the server thats rebooted though all bots are automatically lost.
    Member of the "I tried SWG and I am still kicking myself for it" club

good idea but...

this is a good idea, i hate to see people loose things (even remakeable things) to getting booted by the server. as long as the game knows when you go ld and when you disco and make your bot go away when you do, i don't see any problem with this.

but really the last thing we need is a bunch of homeless bots wandering around trade...

Yotogi

Post Bot and Yamha = no QW

Have eny one notis how stupid it is when your bot keeps falling from your yamha to the ground?

If you fly over a guarded area, the bot sometimes get kill (or lost) on the ground, even you fly high up in the sky.."nice" start on a missin Your bot that cost you maybe 400k to make..Can we PLEASE have the bot inside the Yamha when we are travling.. my bot dons not have Quantium Wings

"Mayby equip it in my inventory or slott deck like the yamha marked with red like when when your in a shop etc..."

And yes..please..make the bot sty longer if you disconeting..
    the AO log in is not super fast..( every Enginer agree with this)

please fix this "bugs" i be happy to sty another year with fc and ao

Main- Bluetec 70 lvl Enginer
    Aloeus MP 112
    Tecsope NT 104
    Cobratec Fixer 54
    Sowata Enforcer 64
    Critus MA 15
    Last edited by Tecscope; Feb 27th, 2002 at 15:37:57.

All very good ideas but I'd like to once again add some.
    Pets forget what they were suposed to do and their buffs/trimms get erased if you zone. That's just dumb especially if there is a mob in a mission entrance room.

Also make MP pets last a little longer. I don't want that MPs are able to "twink" bots like engis are but I have to resummon all the time because the attack pet lasts only a shorts while. Make all the pets last as long or longer than the healing pet wich seems to live very long.
    -War is not about who is right, it is about who is left.

- L92 MP
    - L7 Enf

Question

I don't know if it's possible but there may be a solution if, when the game crashes, your pet gets automatically back as a shell in your inventory. That way there wouldn't be 'wandering pets' and we wouldn't loose money everytime we crash. Maybe we could also use that function upon logging out. It always seemed weird to me that you loose a pet when you stop playing. I mean it's like a part of your inventory and other nanos such as buffs are still on when you log on back (and we payed for that pet!!).
    That function would also help when your pet is stuck somewhere, you just 're-shell' it and you can get it out of it's hole. The problem of course would be for the health of the pet (you could exploit this to heal your pet), maybe the pet could loose a lvl or 2 of QL everytime you do that?
    I know I'm just delirious here but I like the re-shell idea....

Ghuntar, Neutral Atrox Engineer, lvl 23, RK1

As far as the bots being lost due to crashes: while the ideas sound good, but I think the games development side of this is probably alot more difficult than it seems. The timer for recon after ld would have to be a different timer than the recon after death and it does not appear that the bot object knows anything more than MASTER_IN_ZONE=FALSE therefore start TERMINATE_TIMER. So I doubt this is gonna happen anytime soon.

In reference to the carry bots in the Yalmaha thing: I have never lost a pet during yalmaha transit. The only way I can see this happening is if you have the pet on guard and you are flying low enough to get agg on yourself which would cause the bot to attach (although there would be no battle as long as you remained morphed in the yalm. Whenever I travel in my Yalm with an active pet, I put the pet on follow. The pet will never agg that way and the pet is never the recipient of gaurd attacks.

Pet loosing buffs/trims on zone: Maybe MP pets are different, but my pets don't loose buffs on zone. Proof of this comes from damage shields. If I buff the bot with a damage shield, it begins to glow. Not only will this glowing persist if I take him in and out of the missions several times, but the damage chat that the shield causes will also still show up. However, I have always like the reshell idea as a way to save pets when we log. If I log with mochams, when I come back on, mochams is still there. Actually, storing the bot should be an automatic part of the /camp process, but reshell would do, unless of course it is still a skill requiring shell like the one when we first build it, in which case, whats the use. Yeah, nevermind, scratch that...storing the bot should be an automatic part of the /camp process...this still doesnot solve the crash senario.

Pet disappears when leaving missions: same solution. When leaving missions, always put the pet on follow, particularily if the mission is complete and you know longer have a key. Sometimes, when the pet is on guard or if the pet is still in battle with an MOB (even if you have finished the mission and recieve the reward) the pet will not follow you out the door and is lost cause you can't get back in. As a matter of fact, even with the pet on follow, if it is being attacked, it will occasionally turn around and return blows. To be on the safe side make sure the pet is in the entry room to a mission with you AND on follow before you go though the door.
    Last edited by RoboKa; Mar 1st, 2002 at 14:40:53.
    RoboKa & RoboKaKa
    Solitus Neutral Engineer & Pet

Thumbs up Hi Roboka

Thanks for the tips on the Yamha travel and Agg/DEF bar i hope this work now..when i travel from Grid to Omni forest via
    trade and ent. (yes i am a claner)

But..even if this works..and yes..i lost my bot meny times.when i travel with yamha..(were is my bot now..ahh its killd by a Omni guard) there shud be a better way to have the bot equip
    when doing poly morph Yamha.. i dont tink this will be meny programing lines for funcom to make, ..this shud be with eny pet classes MP, Bur to..same problem with them..the "pets" keep falling from the yamha every time (10 sec i think..)

I hope Funcom wont this game to be realistic and at the same time practical.. ( maybe a buff for pet clases that makes thems
    them go back to a shell in my inventory..and when i am the misisn
    area i can just click it out again for example, hey thats a grate ide isent it?....but i bet 10 million credis that funcom will not listen to this..probable nurf or make it hard to travel to missin..

ps. Rooting ppl in missin is not the way to keep ppl sty with ao..

but else..i just wonna say to Funcom no one else have made
    such a distinctive and good game..I will like to call it
    art of game design (yes i playd since beta 1)

Bluetec 77 - Warbot 139QL

all very good replies...

i would hate to see tons of homeless 'bots wandering around, too with the lag being as bad as it can be sometimes. but, if the game can keep track of what nanos you have running and have them still be there the next time you sign back on, i would think they could do something similar for robotic pets.

i have no sympathy for the programmers, they chose to undertake this massive game and they either live up to all of the demands of such a thing or they don't, LoL ;o) in general i think they are doing pretty damn good... but, there is still a lot to be tweaked especially for some of the other classes. i feel i have it pretty good as an engie, but that doesn't mean we can't speak up about the probems that still exist with the class.

i don't really like the 'nerf' about not being able to have more than one shell at a time but it's the least of my worries when my robot is stuck behind a table and can't get out of the room, or i'm booted off the game and it's gone when i get back and the mission has respawned. :oP LoL

i've gotten back on the server in under three minutes and still had my robot MIA. my nanos are running, but my bot is gone so it's just very frustrating. losing *anything* in the game is a major bummer, but my 'bots are costing me around 500 creds a pop now so it's just starting to hurt my virtual wallet a little more when i have to remake one for no reason, hehe ;o)

just a suggestion for a future patch. :o)