Thread: Fast Weapons

Cool Fast Weapons

So...

We all know the problem with fast weapons and their low damage..
    As I see it, there are basicly 3 ways to solve it, 1) up the damage, makes slow hard hitting weapons useless. 2) Change the way AC work... major recoding, and 3) add something else to fast weapons.

So what can be added without disturbing slow hardhitting weapons or require massive recoding with the following balance problems that would most likely ocure?

Procs, that whats needed

By adding a proc, that could be a slow, root, stun, DoT, debuff....., you add a dimension to that weapon that makes it viable without upping the damage.
    There exists a few of those guns today, but are very rare and not used.

Example:
    In right hand a pistol with a slow, and in the left a pistol with a evade debuff.
    That would enable people to use a hit and run tactic and as a bonus get a better chance of critting.

The purpose of the proc isn't to add damage directly to the target, it's to add a possibility for the PC to use fast weapons and still do good by other means.

?
    Dhur the Ninja Pirate NT!

Just a quick note. I'm sure you already know this but...

Rings of power and damage add / multiplier nanos have a large impact on fast weapons
    Seid. Clan Nano Technician, Atlantean
    Proud member of Opposing Force ( Website )
    Seid's Hideout : Home of the Friends List Tool
    I would like to see a mail system in AO, for letters, money and goods, and with mail order !

Lightbulb Actually...

The simplest change that could be made would be to increase the minimum damage of fast weapons, whilst leaving their maximum unchanged (or increasing it just a bit). Slow, heavy weapons would still do better damage in general, but would have a greater range of damage, from quite low (1-10), to very high (50-300). Fast weapons would have a narrower damage range, from (15-80) to (30-175). Slow, heavy weapons would also have higher crit damage but faster weapons should have a higher crit chance. [Note - numbers are just to give an idea].

Combine this with extra 'features' (as you described, and I've posted about before) such as increased evades and weapon skills etc. and more people might try other weapons. This would help a lot with the class balance in PvM and PvP too.

Fast weapon users can toss in a scope for increased crit chance without getting slowed down by the init loss in practice. In my experience that evens out weapons alot.

Wink Errr....?

Originally posted by MSag
    Fast weapon users can toss in a scope for increased crit chance without getting slowed down by the init loss in practice. In my experience that evens out weapons alot.
    On an axe?????

:-)

Something more general is needed.

afaik scopes increases the critical chance of every attack, be it melee or ranged.

The idea with my suggestion was to add a way to tweak a char other then for pure damage

As it is now, the only way to tweak anything is to go for damage/sec, and thats a bit boring and with to few options..
    There need to be someother way to tweak your fighting abilities. And for that are procs an excelent way.

Options people, we need more options!

Yes, there are quite a few weapons with low damage but with great crits.
    Dhur the Ninja Pirate NT!

Smile Interesting

Originally posted by girl
    afaik scopes increases the critical chance of every attack, be it melee or ranged.
    Cool, must try it :-)

Originally posted by girl
    That it works for melee is a bug. It's bound to be fixed sooner or later, so don't waste your IP yet.

Originally posted by reality

That it works for melee is a bug. It's bound to be fixed sooner or later, so don't waste your IP yet.
    If they change that, then they kill all fast melee weapons
    (they are already extremely bad).

-Filik.

Exclamation Hmm....????

I have a lvl 60 Adv who uses "Merchant Executioners" exclusively. Why? They are faster than "Riders", they allow "Fast Attack" and "Brawl", and they do reasonable damage "over-time". I've never used a "Scope" of any kind and don't intend to do so. I do however use 2 Melee Rings and a Weapon Enhancement Nano Religiously.

Oh and I do at least one crit every fight. When I've teamed with an MA and been buffed with SG - that crit damage or occurence never increases. Why I don't know? But I do know that I relly on "speed" (as in hit 2-3 times for every time I'm hit). I refuse to equip anything that will decrease that single advantage.