Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Map Making

*bump*

We're sitting around the office loving this idea. It's also been sent to us via feedback, so well make sure the designers see it.

Yummy...map making tradeskill.
    Earn free game time and play with your friends[/b]

Anarchy Online Community Representative

*caugh* paper tradeskill *caugh*
    Where is it? (Check crat forum for increasingly impatient crats )

Mapmaking is pretty cool too. I'll pay 1 million for a map of Broken Shores!
    Emitter Bureaucrat
    Astolpho Keeper
    Ancarim Iron Legion - RK1

Nice idea, though it shouldn't be compatible with the Yalmaha. That would make it far to easy to get a lot of levels, force FC to reduce the xp/money reward, and therefore ruin the experience for those who _really_ wants to put some time into it. Vehicles and ships, on the contrary, could work well.

Yeah, I know it would be quite difficult to map Broken Shores/Artery Valley/etc. then, but on the other side, it would be an even more valuable thing to try creating.

A bump from me too.

Great idea

/me planing on starting his own store selling maps he bought cheap from adventures.

Korkia level 43 Trader

Lightbulb

Here is an idea. Create a new vechical that allows you to map out an area. This would eliminate people from speeding around a zone in their Yalm snapping pictures. The vechical could either require a ton of Adventuring skill to use, or just require the Adventuring profession (though, then Agents would still be able to use it).

You wouldn't even need to make a new vechical. Something like the Probe (a modifed Mid?) or Waste Collector would work for this type of thing. Looking into it deeper, since Funcom loves to make professions dependant, they could release a new trade skill item requiring Mechanical Engineering that can be used on the Mid, altering it into an adventuring-map making vechical. It would keep the same QL and requirements as the Mid, maybe with a new adventuring requirement, and a lot more concealment. Since getting knocked around by a red MOB in the middle of nowhere would make this kind of pointless.

Of course, with high concealment they could also be used as recon vechicals. That would be great for when side-shifting outposts come into effect. It would also make high QL Mids valuable in the game.

Of course, in order to mod the Mid, it would have to lose it's NODROP, since a Trader or Engineer would need to do it (unless Meastro and Expertise would be enough?). Maybe having a whole new vechical would be a better idea.

I think too much, and I'm tired.

Tarage - Omni-Tek Trader

Turn map nav or adventuring into a dual tradeskill too. Just equip the GPS mapmaker in util slot 1 (where vehicles go btw) and have the person make a few revolutions around the zone to pump out a map with really LOW reqs.

I imagine a map of mort with only 100 in map nav would be pretty damn expensive! Cool, and meaningful, tradeskill.

Make them unique also, put a cap on how many maps of mort one can make!
    I was one of the people who believe that FC had a "secret" 12.0 patch just before launch....he he.

You start to think that the Shrooms are wearing off and then you look at the ceiling and realize you got a few hours.

Question

Hmm, thinking about this some more, it would probably be a much better idea to make the vehicle require the Adventuring profession. Then Adventurers could use this item for map-making, and Agents could use it for recon.

Mids are really not that valuable in the game, so killing their NODROP wouldn't be a huge game altering change. You wouldn't even need to make a new trade skill item to mod them. Just have the GPS Link Computer go together with The MID. Maybe some other items to make it not quite so easy to mod.

The only reason I am stuck on the modifying process is that having a new NODROP vehicle just for Adventures would make finding this vehicle pointless for everyone else. I already find enough junk loot in missions. It could work if they are reward items from team missions, or something you get from a static dungeon. There are too many nano professions in the Steps of Madness, so Adventurers could really use their own static dungeon to horde. :]

As far as getting the map data into a physical form, it could be much like the process for making a Kamikaze bot. The Adventurer could equip their vehicle to start the recording process. They could then right click on it in order to see the percentage of the current playing field they have recorded (like right clicking a token board). Once it is at 100%, the Adventurer could use an Expendable Hologram Camera on the vehicle to create Hologram Data, and then use the Calculator to create the Nano Building Data, which can be uploaded into an Empty Instruction Disc. This process could be repeated as many times as they want, as long as they are still at 100%.

Once that is done, the Map Instruction Disc (Broken Shores) can be sold or given to trade skill professions to be used in the same process as creating a Nano Crystal. Except that the end result is an uploadable Map, instead of a Nano Crystal. Doing this would give Adventures a huge value boost in the game.

The only downside is that you wouldn't be able to make a map of indoor playing fields unless the vehicle could be equipped indoors. As long as it could only be used in static indoor playfields (bars, static dungeons, etc.), and not missions, I don't think anyone would have a problem with this. It would be kind of neat to have Map - Steps of Madness, Map - Happy Rebel. :]

Someone should make me go to sleep so I shut up.

Tarage - Omni-Tek Trader

Unhappy

I like the idea of a device going into HUD1 more than I like the idea of a vechical. Then you wouldn't need to worry about NODROP or indoor stuff. Adventurers would also be able to defend themselves out in the open, thereby requiring certain levels of Adventurers to map out certain playfields. Broken Shores can be a dangerous place once you leave Home. We could even create mapping parties just like we have hunting parties. A group of people wandering around slaughtering everything in site while the Adventurer makes them all maps. Now that sounds like fun :]

I still like the idea of having to make a Map Instruction Disc instead of just having a UNIQUE map automatically apear. Sure, you wouldn't be able to make a map with lower requirements, but you would be able to make maps not availible in the map shop. Having maps with lower reqs would make the map shop meaningless. Besides, when Traders and Engineers make Nano Crystals, the new crystal doesn't have lower reqs to use.

Having a new way of making maps would be perferable over the whole Nano creation process. Since all maps have the same QL that process wouldn't work for this. Right now it takes 257 skill in ME, EE, QFT, and NP just to make a QL57 Nano Crystal.

Tarage - Omni-Tek Trader

Post Modified MIDs

One way to create a 'mapping' vehicle might be to have an engineer, for instance, use the GPS device on the MID - shift-right-click, perhaps. Electrical Engineering might be a skill required for this, since the GPS device is largely electronic. Requiring a fair bit of skill to complete as well, of course.

The result could be an 'Explorer MID' or whatever name is appropriate. And yes, this would require the MID to no longer be NODROP, as people have stated in the above posts.

Could come in handy in several cases, this.
    -Ward 'Kzak' Hereda, Clan L220, AL15 'Competent' Supreme Creator on Rubi-Ka 1. Equipment setup.

Life is like a box of chocolates. Except, you know, the brown stuff in the box? That's not chocolate.

Doing his part to make the world a more interesting place since December 2001.. but not any more. Account cancelled, playable until 2006-11-13 19:25:49. See you in Age of Conan!

*bump*

Excellent idea.
    Archelan, Ancarim Iron Legion

Vandreren (Adventurer) - Arctech (Engineer) - Egori (Fixer) - Sherringham (Bureaucrat) - Kurtwood (Trader)

Bump!

Fantastic idea!

I love it!

Altho .... its kinda late when my Adv has already got a lot of the maps...

But still - Bump!

Thumbs up Brilliant Idea!

This is one of the best ideas I have seen in the forums for a long time
    BUMP !

Re: Map Making

Originally posted by Diemond
    Here's a thought...

Buy a GPS Link Computer

Go into a new zone where you don't have a map.

As you travel/run around the map is generated on your screen as far as you can see.

Maybe even pop out a map crystal when you have the entire zone mapped. (with xp bonus and an item to sell)

A great way for Adventurers to go...adventuring.
    MAD bumpage

bump
    Stercoral.

Circle G Inc. - Your safety is our business.
    http://nattguiden.no/circle-g/

Talking

Hmm.... Why are we all bumping this thread? Funcom have allready said they like this idea....

Anyway

*Bump*
    Flyhard - lvl 137 doc
    Thermaling - lvl 94 fixer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12