Thread: How to trade a city

How to trade a city

Say I wanted to buy a city for my organization. How would this be done? What is the procedure to trading a city for the credits?

I'd like to know how to do this early, even if I still have a few billion credits to raise

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Malachus View Post
    Say I wanted to buy a city for my organization. How would this be done? What is the procedure to trading a city for the credits?

I'd like to know how to do this early, even if I still have a few billion credits to raise
    Make sure you know that you can trust the seller to start with. Most people that sell cities ask for the credits up front.
    Span

Be VERY wary if you see someone near you when the city is ready to plant, there are a lot of ninjas out there.

When I did some building re-building on my city I petitioned a question about the process and I got a GM reply fairly quickly. The GM was -very- keen on doing things like making a snapshot of the city (as in database snapshot) to investigate bugs if any occurred. No bugs happened, but the process wasn't quite what the GM described. Even though it -was- what I expected, the GM actually spawned a replacement building for me because he had given me bad information. I was very pleasantly surprised.

My point here is ... you MIGHT have some luck if you petition something like "I'm about to pay a player for an AI city and I am wondering how I can make sure that it is not ninjaed from me". You may not have any luck, but you -might- just get a guardian angel to come watch over you.

If it helps any, I have the most luck with this type of beneficial assistance on weekday mornings U.S. time. That is the time when the most GMs are available (due to it being business hours both in Norway and in the U.S.).
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

How would the seller transfer the city to my org? I just need to know exactly how the transfer is done.

2 ways:

1) if you're a different faction or unable to disband and reform your current organization:

* you pay them credits

* they destroy their CC

* 24 hours later -anyone- can plant a new CC there so you make sure you are THERE when the city is plantable and plant it ASAP.

You plant a city by placing a new CC. You must -also- place an org HQ there within 24 hours (I think that's the time limit) or the city goes to unclaimed status again.

2) if you're able, disband your org:

* join the org of the seller

* pay them credits

* they transfer presidency to you

* they leave org

* you reform your old members and rename the org to your orgs name

This one takes more work, but is ninja-proof.

And yes, it really IS as messy as all that.
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

a good way to xfer the credits is make your own org first and add them to the bank then you can swap orgs easily instead of doing like 5 toons to xfer it

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorhyde View Post

* they destroy their CC

* 24 hours later -anyone- can plant a new CC there so you make sure you are THERE when the city is plantable and plant it ASAP.
    You say destroy the CC, do you just mean HQ (and with it all buildings)? Then if no new HQ in the next 24 hours its up for ninja by a new org?

If so, would disbanding the org that owns a city instantly wipe the 24hour period? Since no org to replace the HQ anymore.
    Want triples nerfed? Here is what you can do (Don't be so retarded to apply this to todays game)

Server 1sts: Only NT, and probably non-doc to solo LOTV.
    First LB member to recieve org forum and guest chat ban on departure <3

[Neophyte soldier]: I can see your nukes ignore AMS, keep doing it noob, I'm petitioning as we speak!

WTB 2 Fixes for grafts
    PVP roots for all rooting classes

Currently forced to enjoy RK4 (broken PC), I'll be back soon.

Yep if you disband the org that owns the city, the plot will be available immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by navaf View Post
    Yep if you disband the org that owns the city, the plot will be available immediately.
    Ahah, that makes sense. Saves alot of the pain of the couple of times I've seen city sales go down, if the org that is selling it can be disbanded.

if you plan on transfering the city to another org... MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL YOUR NEW BUILDING TRADESKILLED BEFORE HAND... otherwise you will be running around trying to gather loots to make the buildings... and others can ninja the city before you have the building made...

Join Us!
    You know you want too!
    Now Recruiting Players of All Levels and Expansions!
    Newbie & Noob & Froob Players Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Fixerspy View Post
    if you plan on transfering the city to another org... MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL YOUR NEW BUILDING TRADESKILLED BEFORE HAND... otherwise you will be running around trying to gather loots to make the buildings... and others can ninja the city before you have the building made...

You only need to have the CC and HQ.

And actually you only need the CC, you'll have a day to get the HQ planted.

Personally I don't understand all this talk of CCs having to be planted and citys being ninjad in the context of buying a city.

There is no plantable Controller. It is always there, it's not a building to have to make/buy/plant. If the city becomes free you right click the Controller and it pops up a dialog that gives you the opportunity to buy the city land plot. But that has nothing to do with buying a city off another player.

I have bought and sold many cities. This is what I have done every time, regardless of whether I was the buyer or the seller. There is no danger of the city being ninja'd and no need for you to have any buildings pre-prepared.
    Because there is no official mechanism for trading cities when I sell a city I expect all money to be paid in advance. Likewise when I buy a city I expect to give all the creds in advance to the seller.

Preparation
    ========

The buyer familiarizes themselves with the /org commands.

The buyer researches the seller, the city and the org currently owning the city.

If the buyer is not completely happy that they trust the seller then there should be no deal.

The buyer must have a suitable toon to take over presidency of the org that owns the city. IE if it's an Omni city it must be an orgless omni toon.

Step 1
    =====

The buyer gives the seller all the credits.

Step 2
    =====

The seller invites the buyers toon into the org and promotes that toon all the way to president.

At this point the deal is done the buyer has total control over the city and all its buildings, and the seller has their creds.

Making things safe
    =============

Change the governing form of the org to anything except Anarchy.
    For example...

/org governingform department

This knocks everyone but the president down to applicant. This ensures no other org member you may have inherited with the org can do anything to the city.

Check the Controller.
    Check the rent status. If it is overdue consider paying it. If the rent is overdue for over 30 days you lose the city. (Note: If you are going to convert the city faction you have to destroy the city. The rent cycle is reset if the city is destroyed. So if this is your plan don't put money into the rent unnecessarily.)

Next steps
    ========

At this point you will want to clear out the org of any old members. use the org kick feature for that.

In the event that the org and city are of the wrong faction you will want to go through the process of converting the city faction. This process is more complex and does run some small risk. But now you have lots of time to learn about, plan and co-ordinate that process. Feel free to ask me about it if needed.

Last edited by Phyxr; Jul 26th, 2007 at 08:41:16. Reason: typo

So, basically, you're starting from scratch? In terms of members and such..

Funcom should really make this easier on us and put in an official way to do it

If the city is the right faction for you then, after you have conrol of the city, your org members should leave your old org and join the new one. This way there is no danger from having to delete the city.

The old org can be renamed/disbanded and you can set the name of the new org to what you had before.

If the city is the worng faction then you need to plan out the switch more carefully. But I would still do the initial purchase my way as then you don't have to be rushed into doing the tricky bit.

Every city i've bought i've done the transfer the same way Phyxr describes and afaik its the best/safest way to do it.

If your transferring to another faction its best to make sure you get the city under your control by buying the city with a toon in the sellers faction. Now you can control how/when the city will be transfered using the /org disband method.

Like I said earlier if you go this route the plot will be available for purchase immediately by clicking on the CC. Before you do this make sure nobody else is around the city area (if your paranoid) and you have enough funds available to purchase the land plot. Land plots average 200-400m, but can be even more depending on the land size. Once you own the land plot you have 24 hours to place a HQ or the plot will become available again. Once the HQ is place you'll own the city for good as long as you keep up on the monthly upkeep.

/tell Letah
    he is the expert in transfering org cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Picsel View Post
    /tell Letah
    he is the expert in transfering org cities.
    i thought he was expert at meeping

Quote Originally Posted by TwEeK View Post
    i thought he was expert at meeping
    i thought that was cheree
    Buildahbabe 220/25 engineer, rk2
    Kaffekokare 206/16 crat, rk2
    Kaffikos 22/2 adv, rk2
    Dharus 220/19 sold, rk1

Quote Originally Posted by Skogsmullo View Post
    i thought that was cheree
    hmm who knows they are both gimpy cortez wanabes that cant come up with thier own original ideas

Wink

Thanks for the responses. This helped me and I think it will help anyone else out there wanting to buy a city.
    Last edited by Lord_Malachus; Jul 27th, 2007 at 15:13:46. Reason: typo