Thread: Apartments

Apartments (and things of that sort)

Well, for me, what makes or breaks me playing a game is housing. Yeah, it sounds weird, but that's what i like, a place to live. So here are my suggestions on how to make the housing better.

1) More items to allow in your apartment. Up the limit from 10 so you can actually have a populated apartment that doesn't look so empty. Maybe have a system where it costs people money to upgrade how many items they can have.

2) Have a way that the owner can duplicate keys for others to enter. Or...have it set so they can add "allowances" for ther apartment, allowing their friends to enter while not in a group.

3) Have all types of furniture available. Beds, couches, tv's, tables, etc...this may be already implimented, but I'm not sure, so I added it anyway. Just so it'll look like an actual apartment.

4) Possibly have lighting control where you can adjust the lighting in the room and in the closet.

5) Just a minor thing, but possibly have a command like the "sit" command that will let you lay down. So if you have a bed, you can lay down on it (makes it look more realistic).

6) Maybe make it so you can have an aquarium in your apartment. At the furniture shops, buy different fish to put in it so people can have a variety of fish swimming around. (Just thought I'd be neat.)

7) Have missions randomly (possibly rarely) tack on to missions for furniture that is only available through a mission, ,meaing you can't buy it at a store normally. This, in theory, would promote teaming up to take on missions if you added it to only the team missions.

Hmm...er...some of that went way out there, but I think it'd be neat. If I think of more, I'll tack on. But for now, at least take it into consideration if you will :o)

Take care!
    Last edited by Draksinus; Jun 11th, 2002 at 22:03:41.

Additions

Last night I went looking at other peoples posts and saw their ideas, so I figured I would list them here as well since I agree with them.

NOTE: I do not claim all of these to be my original ideas. They have come from others, and I list them here to further emphesis that the players want them. If I offend you by listing them, I apologise profusely.

1) Guild halls. How great are they? It would be nice to have buildings set up especially for them. And if you want to limit it, have the owner pay for it, possibly through tithing of the guild members.

2) Villas someone where with a nice scenery, robot maids, already furnished so no decorating is done, but costs (rent) to live there. And this could be in addition to having an apartment, since you're paying for this one.

3) Player run stores. They could pay an upkeep to keep it going, but have a robot (through making themselves with the trade skills) or having an NPC selling them. I'd say an easy way to do it is have a room (or just a chest) that they put the things they want to sell and they give them a price. That way things can be isolated to one "slot" and easier to implement.

4) Actual housing. Different types of houses to buy (or rent) in various locations. That way they could live somewhere else instead of just in the city (also serves as a purpose for roleplaying. Some people, even if it's rare, role play characters who hate the city).

Now, I recognize to the makers of AO that this does take memory on the servers. The only way I can see to changing that is possibly an overhaul on the "loading" system. I do not know how it works now, but maybe a reference to an item, then a location of it through a hex, binary, or even decimal file. Someone mentioned storing them on the client side machine, but that would allow hacking, so that will not happen.

Now, let's see what people think, shall we? :o)
    Last edited by Draksinus; Jun 11th, 2002 at 22:03:19.

Yeah all good ideas, and will definitely be implemented soon.

"3) Player run stores. They could pay an upkeep to keep it going, but have a robot (through making themselves with the trade skills) or having an NPC selling them. I'd say an easy way to do it is have a room (or just a chest) that they put the things they want to sell and they give them a price. That way things can be isolated to one "slot" and easier to implement."

hehe i madea post about that idea
    BiggerDave - 93 Omni Soldier
    Fethers - 43 Omni Agent
    Phetherz - 18 Omni Doctor

Unit member of Omni-Tek Blackwolf Operations

1A: I think paying to upgrade would be a great idea.
    2A: No comment
    3A: YES! Bumpty bump bump.
    4A: Great idea!
    5A: Yeah, we desperately need a lay down emote.
    6A: I love aquariums! They would rock at parties, and look great in apartments.
    7A: Hmm...I have mixed feelings about this.
    1B: We should get a template guild house, and then have to pay an up-front fee as well as higher rent to add more rooms. I've already explained my ideas several times over.
    2B: Ooooh....I'd love to live somewhere in Ember Woods
    3B: Hmm...personally, I'd choose being able to have player-run bars/clubs over stores. I would, however, LOVE to see player-written guides and books selling in special shop terminals.
    4B: Applause to that one!

And you do have a point with client-side hacking, but what would be the point? IE What exactly could you mess up that would make an unfair difference?
    ~~~~~
    Katelin "Missmaul" Locknane -Sloooowly climbing her way out of the dank pits of gimpness. But stil crazy. Ya know...just in case you cared.

Weeeeeeell..

Any type of hacking would add an unfair advantage. I mean...I'd hate to work my rear off to furnish my apartment with all sorts of things, just to live next door who maybe spent 1,000 credits on it but has more than I because he knows how to hack the system. That's just my personal opinion though. Unless they added things to the client side computer that were just minimal and if they didn't match up with the server side in the way they were meant to, then it'd just delete it from both server and client side.

Those are my thoughts :o)