Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traveling to Shadowlands

Originally posted by Warlock

That actually raises a very interesting point.

Assuming the Notum supply is finite, then Omni-Tek have a moral dilema on their hands.

Mine all the stuff till 'the rock is dry' and basically kill all the nano mages (and adversly effect everyone else on Rubi-Ka to whom nano tech is second nature) but rake in the cash

or

Mine it in moderation and prevent the above

Oh the trials and tribulations of the money grabbing galaxy spanning hyper coproration. I think they'll take the money and to hell with the consequences.
    finite = finite

unless it is a self-renewing finite resource,
    then 'moderation' would just delay the inevitable...

if it is a self-renewing finite resource,
    then it is more profitable to moderate and ensure future production.

If it is infinate, what happens if traveling to the Shadowlands dissrupts the flow of Notum to Rubi-Ka? What if Omni-Tek harvests the Notum in the Shadowlands and it simply never gets to Rubi-Ka? Still, what about Notum poisoning?
    -- Falling never killed anyone, its always the landing.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Telgi-61 Solitus Enforcer
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor
    Saruzi- -=128=- Opifex Nano-Technician.
    Manstien-44 Solitus Soldier

Huh?

Why would Omni-Tek kill all the nano-mages even if they do mine all the Notum?

Originally posted by Fyrestarter

im guessing notum is peoples essense or soul and that when you die the machine tries to put it back into a new clone of you or something
    Well if that's true then that would mean that various devices on Rubi-ka are powered by people's souls making Omni-tek that much more evil. I guess that explains why omni citizens will look like demons in the shadowlands.

So, as in all morality tales, good must prevail over evil so clans will win and omni-tek will be crushed.

Arrow Re: Huh?

Originally posted by Laeni
    Why would Omni-Tek kill all the nano-mages even if they do mine all the Notum?
    Its a cause-and-effect thing, mine all the notum = no notum = dead nano-mages.

I dont like where funcom is going with this good vs evil **** in shadowlands. It looks to me like funcom is trying to shift AO more in the fantasy direction with Shadowlands. I payed for a
    Sci-Fi game damnit. By the way, if ya wanna dispute me on that, look on the bottom of your box in the upper left corner of the sys req area. It says GENRE and below that it says SCI-FI MMORPG
    Last edited by Nanitehandler; Jun 22nd, 2002 at 18:00:28.

Lastr time I checked alternate universes are sci fi.

Arrow

Or fantasy... looks like AO will become a bit of both, the lines are somewhat blurred anyway. Sci-Fi *is* technically mostly fantasy anyway, just without the dragons and wizards and stuff - which AO does actually have anyway... So its not pure hard-scifi even now.

Originally posted by Darkbane
    Or fantasy... looks like AO will become a bit of both, the lines are somewhat blurred anyway. Sci-Fi *is* technically mostly fantasy anyway, just without the dragons and wizards and stuff - which AO does actually have anyway... So its not pure hard-scifi even now.
    The difference is AO has scientific explanation for everything.

Arrow

Originally posted by Myers

The difference is AO has scientific explanation for everything.
    Well, not really. It pretends to yes... But AO is firmly in the 'space opera' style of SF, rather than the 'hard' style. And as such is much more 'fantastical'. And not everything in AO even has a 'pretend' scientific explanation...

Thats my concern, this game already has some fantasy elements in it, im worried that funcom is going to shift AO more towards fantasy than it already is.

Another thing is the GvE **** funcom is pulling on us. Whats going to happen to neutrals after shadowlands?? Is funcom going to force them to choose a side or are they just going to have a really hard life(harder than they do right now)? It would be a shame to have no more neutrals.

Red face Go GridHaxxor

I agree with Gridhaxxor. This is to be sci-fi and they have pushed the boundaries quite a bit, why go further. The second aspect, and I note that this is really all speculation since Shadowlands is not out yet and details are not easily verified, is that if the Shadowlands portrays Omni as devils and Clan as angels etc. then isn't this taking a decidedly moral stance on the two sides.

Up until now clan could be seen as the freedom fighter who prefer a level of anarchy and Omni as those who feel that strong central control and rules makes for a better society. This is a classic struggle which has never been settled in human history. Too little government leads to corruption, abuse, etc. Too much can lead to suppression, tyrrany, etc. This allows for both sides to be in the right in their own minds.

You start saying one side is really correct according to the game manufacturer and you thow away the whole basis for the setup. Omni's should not think that the Omni side is evil. Clan should not consider the clan side dangerous and reactive. FC should not take sides.
    Dauhuai
    Clan Nano Engineer (159)
    Building a better Rubi-Ka One Tradeskill at a time

Sodamoca
    Clan Atrox Doctor (155)
    Free SFA to all Clan

Arrow

Hmm, and who says demonic looking beings are evil, or angelic ones good? Who knows what it means at this stage...

Hmm, and who says demonic looking beings are evil, or angelic ones good? Who knows what it means at this stage...
    He's right, we know very little of what is actually going on

Goodbye

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, if this is going to get to where every little nuance is debated and there is no basis for any statement then all speculation is just nonsensical whimsy. Speculation is, in fact, exploring the ramifications of things that are not known in there full context. If the full context is known then it is analysis.

So basically saying who knows? May negate the speculation but does not negate the fact that the vast majority of people will associate demons and demonic appearance with evil and angels and angelic appearance with good. I don't care how FC and anyone tries to thwart this it is human nature and societal nurture.

But, since that is not what seems to be desired here, I will leave the thread and wait until there is more data and I can do an analysis which can be discussed rather than dismissed.
    Dauhuai
    Clan Nano Engineer (159)
    Building a better Rubi-Ka One Tradeskill at a time

Sodamoca
    Clan Atrox Doctor (155)
    Free SFA to all Clan

Question Pardon Me?

Originally Posted by SodaMoca5

If we were to use the Rubi-Ka professions and try to fit something as great as the Son of God into something as trivial as a game based character then Jesus would most clearly fit being a Doctor rather than a Meta Physicist.

I would place Buddha as an MP as well as Confucious, Zoroaster, and many others. Mohammed I would probably put into the MP or MA category since there is no doubt that much of his conversion strategy was based upon conquest.

Jesus, however, was a healer. He healed the sick, gave sight to the blind, made the lame walk, and the deaf to hear. He increased resources (fed the 5000), etc. About the only MP thing I can really think of, since deep thought is a trait of MP's and is not exclusive to them, was that he walked on the water (Quantum Wings baby). And let us not forget that in the end, with His triumphant return He does prove to be the most Uber PvP'er ever Just like some high level Docs.

Please note that I am an MP so I would love to have my Profession associated as the Profession of Christ, it just isn't as logical to me to place Him in that category.

Well that was a good bit of meaningless drivel

Pardon? Did I read that correctly? You're calling Confucious a Meta-Physicists? You know Meta means sort-of, and Meta-Physicists means those things that cannot explained by science? And of course you know that one of the main teachings of Confucious was that superstitions(sp) is bad, and that's what Meta-Physics is, basically, superstitions?

Well, to the other Old Earth's famous people (I say famous people because not all of them are founders of religion). Buddha, for one, was a sorta Meta-Physicist because his teachings mostly dealt with a way of life and did not became a religion until way after his death. Zoroaster, on the other hand, I don't think are much accurate records of his life surivied, only the doctrine-nized (taking after a certain George W. here and inviting my own words ) forms of his teachings and beliefs. And as to Jesus and Mohammad... they both lived in a much later time then the 3 other men you mentioned and so I shall not comment on them

More meaningless chatter

Arrow

Meta actually means with, after, between, among (from the Greek) - 'sort of' isn't really covered there...

We got a little cerebral over on the NT forum regarding MetaPhysics and worked our way into the etymology of the term 'metaphysics' as well:

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=27476

Worth a read.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12