Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fix People of Rubi-Ka Site!

Just go to http://people.anarchy-online.com/ and not via FCs homepage and you'll see the maintenance message....pretty long 24-48 hours if you ask me.
    ***Zacix***
    President
    of
    ***Underworld***
    Equipment

"It's widely believed that Jesus was Chuck Norris' stunt double for crucifixion due to the fact that it is impossible for nails to pierce Chuck Norris' skin."

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=554414

Already made a thread about this issue.
    Naturalistic -- 220/30 Doctor (Eternalist)
    Achillesma - 191/20 Martial Artist (Testlive Toon)
    ---------------------------------------------------
    http://forums.vhabot.net
    http://code.vhabot.net/trac/vhabot
    Helpbot Owner and Maintainer.
    Vhabot Developer and Project Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalistic View Post

Hard to figure out since the topic of the thread don't mention character XML :P
    ***Zacix***
    President
    of
    ***Underworld***
    Equipment

"It's widely believed that Jesus was Chuck Norris' stunt double for crucifixion due to the fact that it is impossible for nails to pierce Chuck Norris' skin."

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalistic View Post

You say that like we're all supposed to know "Probes & Server Status" has anything to do with the People of Rubi-Ka site...
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Judging by the current petition tool login window that is presented when you try to access http://people.anarchy-online.com things are going from bad to worse...

Edit: okay, back to the 'maintenance' message
    Last edited by TheMekon; Jun 15th, 2009 at 17:28:08.

Amonette 220 Soldier Nyrec 220 Agent Mekon 220 Crat Mekamara 220 Engineer
    ────────────────────────────────────────────
    Dark Front (Because the sun shines outta my....)

Would have changed the topic, but not able to modify a topic after it's been posted.

Really would like some updated info on this please.

Whee! Seems to be working. The last few days of levelling are showing up on alts again.
    Last edited by Lyrajayne; Jun 15th, 2009 at 23:23:05.

Seems like it's up and running.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    Seems like it's up and running.
    Yep, working for me now also. Hopefully, they got it sorted out.

And now it's down again.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Funcom employee

The bombing of this database by a multitude of personal Bots has been linked to lag issues with the actual game servers. The People Of Rubi-Ka page will be down until we are 1000% certain it will not affect game server performance.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

Is that to include orgbots/raidbots etc, or people deliberatly causing trouble, and if it is orgbots etc, how come its only now become a real problem?

Amonette 220 Soldier Nyrec 220 Agent Mekon 220 Crat Mekamara 220 Engineer
    ────────────────────────────────────────────
    Dark Front (Because the sun shines outta my....)

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    The bombing of this database by a multitude of personal Bots has been linked to lag issues with the actual game servers. The People Of Rubi-Ka page will be down until we are 1000% certain it will not affect game server performance.

Which begs the question. Would a FC provided solution reduce the lag and maintain a functionality that players are taking for granted?
    "Sadly, the patch "stop others [from] being idiots" has been delayed."
    -Gurudee

"I think so, but every time they get a duel invitation popup it plays "Wanna Fanta" a few times over... "
    -Kotts (regarding Froobs+Dueling)

"The fail is strong in this one."
    -Pafpuf

Alway thought this information was relative static and only updated every 24h. If its a issue of traffic generated by it, shouldn't be very difficult to implement QoS to prevent (and delay) access from those bots.

Could always whitelist Helpbot and make it the only working one with character data.

Then it's time to close out any third party software that accesses the database, including orgbots, helpbots, itemsbots, raidbots and anything else. People can adapt. The tools are a luxury, not a right.

Everything the bots do can be done by looking at fansites for info ( helpbot, recipebot, itemsbot, etc. ), there is an official raid system so raidbots are no longer needed, spawn timers and such can be replaced by users buying their own cheap ass alarm clocks or using software on their own comps that don't interact with the game.. The only third party additions should be GUI mods and only then as long as they don't interlock with any game processes.

This is why I've been saying that FC needs to make and maintain any such tools or additions themselves. And yes, I'm going to be flamed up the ass by every bot user / maker and I don't care. The quality and security of the game needs to come before people's laziness. There is already an EULA that prohibits most of the bots that are in use. And considering these bots were also used to bring down RK3 and to cause massive lag and disconnects on RK1/RK2 in the BS and elsewhere by *******s as described by Means a few days ago, I think it's time to enforce it.
    Last edited by Siahanor; Jun 16th, 2009 at 22:49:32.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMekon View Post
    Is that to include orgbots/raidbots etc, or people deliberatly causing trouble, and if it is orgbots etc, how come its only now become a real problem?
    Maybe it's been a source of the lag forever, just noone caught it 'til now.

Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    This is why I've been saying that FC needs to make and maintain any such tools or additions themselves. And yes, I'm going to be flamed up the ass by every bot user / maker and I don't care. The quality and security of the game needs to come before people's laziness. There is already an EULA that prohibits most of the bots that are in use. And considering these bots were also used to bring down RK3 and to cause massive lag and disconnects on RK1/RK2 in the BS and elsewhere by *******s as described by Means a few days ago, I think it's time to enforce it.
    An FC created, built in, Org bot would be the PERFECT response, that way EVERYONE gets access to a bot and it's not left to 3rd parties who stop playing, don't update, offer no technical help...

And yes, the bots are technicaly against the EULA, but like clicksaver and other programs they have been 'ignored' by FC for the simple reason (in my opinion) that the game is very complex and SOME small help can't hurt.
    However, it looks like they ARE starting to hurt, so we'll see what FC is going to do now.
    A new light shines upon Rubi-Ka,A new channel is opened in the grid feed,
    A new Team dedicated to the distribution of knowledge is formed.
    >>> AO-Universe <<<
    For the People, By the People.

I'd rather not have the db available now, than get lagged to death ANYWHERE, that is a fun killer for sure.

I'm confident Means and the Dev team will develop a smart solution to the problems, let's give them some time.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

I'm really not very impressed by this whole issue. Let's disregard the fact that I had to spend an hour or two to change some of my applications to tolerate a potential long-term outage of this source of information -- I'm prefectly willing to adapt to changes. What struck me the most was the lack of usable information given up to now, and even right now.

For a good two weeks I was left to try and figure out the lack of updated and then this ominous "24-48 hour maintenance, please look for detailed information somewhere else" message and how I should react to it. How should I now interpret the fact that the character database is currently up? Deducing from the fact that the database should be down until it's 1000% sure that it doesn't affect game server performance, that should mean the issues are now 1000% resolved? I'll keep my fingers crossed!

While it's most likely almost the same as disclosing an exploit, I'd really hope for a bit of added information the next time around. This post (or maybe even a big message on the char db web site) really could have included a hint that the char db needed to be taken down to get the matters resolved.
    Uragon -- Former Director of Omni-Pol

When running from an angry mob, it is not really necessary to be faster than it. It totally suffices to be faster than your teammates.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast