Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The game will die unless

Quote Originally Posted by Stigman View Post
    The game will die unless ...they stack personal furnaces ....wadda ya mean offtopic
    Ya, and moar Take Me To The Shop!

(soz, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Biancha View Post
    Wow that is so not my experience, I feel like I must be playing a different game or something. Doing hard RK and penumbra missions and learning to Raid sector 10 in a team raid (I was 130 when it came out) taught me much, much more about playing my profession *in a team* then soloing ever did. Soloing has taught me a lot too, but its a different sort of knowledge.

Being able to function as a strong part of a good team and employ good teamwork is something I don't think one can learn by soloing, or by just pushing Q while they are in teams. I believe the only reason tough team/raid stuff doesn't fail a lot more often is that we're all so individually overpowered it's just kind of dumb.

Anyhow, /shrug
    DISCLAIMER: Wall of Text (suckers )

I guess what i said before about soloing was a little extreme in how I worded it. I myself certainly have spent most of my time in this game teaming, as opposed to soloing because, ffs, its an mmo and i like meeting new people, socializing and getting content completed. but there are certain aspects to soloing, and surviving by the skin of your teeth that builds up confidence, and as you say, a different sort of knowledge.

I can easily elaborate on that different sort of knowledge, as it changes a persons perspective on how their toolset benefits others in a team. heres a few examples:

-a soldier might obtain a deeper understanding of how the tank takes less damage, and makes the doctors life easier, if they have learned by soloing that taking more damage sucks, and having the best reflects they can is a good thing for the teams survival. (I have a 220/70/30 soldier and a 150 soldier... I have a bit of experience on the topic)

-a crat might be quicker to use their cc tools on targets while in a team, if they have learned the hard way while soloing that taking damage and getting aggro themselves isn't fun. (i have a 220 crat, and a 150 crat. again, I'm not just talking from my hind cheeks).

- an enfo might be more knowledgeable in using their absorbs and perks, and other defensive tools, if they have to learn the painful way how to survive without a doctor. this makes a doctors life a lot easier in a team, when the tank isn't 100% reliant on that next heal. (again lol, i have a 220 enfo, and another 150 enfo that i deleted back awhile ago because he was trox... mwahahaha... so I can speak from experience)

you are right though, playing in teams teaches you how to play in teams, and there's simply no substitute. its also why we play an mmo. you are also right, that toons are significantly more powerful now than in the past. but, the motivation to be as effective as possible, for me at least (my original post was just referring to my own experience), comes from pushing your toon to the limits, and learning the painful way what your toon brings to the table in a team by dealing with it first hand without outside help. I've run into far to many slackers, who do the bare minimum in teams, to be convinced otherwise.

-----------------------------------------------

so, on topic... the game will die (lol), unless the new player experience is revamped to the point where new players have a better understanding of what their profession brings to the table, and how to utilize it effectily. new players need easy access to good armor and weapons, for at least the first 50 levels (subway armor doesn't count). also, training simulations for each profession would be cool once someone reaches level 20ish, lets say, where they have to use each part of their toolset through an obstacle course thats designed for their profession, in order to come out alive/come out successfull on the other end and pass basic training. without passing, they cannot level anymore. upon passing, they would receive good armor and weapons, upgradable to level 50, and enough creds to buy their nanos/health kits etc.. for awhile.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

I'm a bit amazed that #1 didn't involve AS pistols.

AS pistols are retarded. Take a look at the duel scores (win to loss ratio) on ANY profession dualing troaler and pewshiz.

It's ridiculous.

Soaptarder brings a very valid point to the discussion.

Soloing skill truly does benefit the team when people in critical roles understand how to operate their prof, and, this is part of what I alluded to in the OP.

People aren't learning how to play anymore. It's not some far fetched vision. It's actually true. I've seen level 200 enforcers in S7, and in BS who haven't learned about AAD or absorbs yet, and all sorts of idiots in inferno who really are just in rags (how on EARTH did people like this make it through ado hecks?)

Back in the day, I was leveling with a dude named pizzled, who taught me one thing about AO, and team play and soloing.

he said: "I equip myself to be as strong as possible, so I can help my team " something along those lines, he wasn't super articulate, or anything, but the point struck home.

You play to be the best to help your team.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    You play to be the best to help your team.
    QFT

Frankly, I like dailies. I like them for several reasons. 1) My org has a log of Eurolanders and fewer North Americans. I'm one of the NAs. When I play at 7PM my time, it's Midnight for them, i.e. higher probability that they aren't online. 2) My time blocks to play AO have become fragmented. I no longer have the ability to spend 10 hours online playing. Hell, I don't want to spend 10 hours sitting in front of a computer. I got RL stuff to do.

Dailies allow me to accomplish something on a toon and progress and allow me to play and accomplish something in a finite set of time. I can choose to do a daily BS mission, and AXP one, etc. and then log, take a break, do RL, etc. and come back. You want to nerf some of the XP, fine, but removal is def not called for from my perspective.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

People like to ignore the fact that US Primetime is completely dead every night when they call for the removal of daily missions.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnykay View Post
    People like to ignore the fact that US Primetime is completely dead every night when they call for the removal of daily missions.
    try Australian time.

I think theres one other aussi who plays AO, and he has a girlfriend.

Not to mention, anytime theres a patch, guess when it goes ? About 10 minutes after I get home from work.

Hellya, I just roll with it though, S10 is empty so in some ways it's tight, like my 76 billion on different alts.

I think theres one other aussi who plays AO, and he has a girlfriend.
    Sounds like you want to meet more single, Australian men. I hear ya, brother.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by crattey View Post
    Sounds like you want to meet more single, Australian men. I hear ya, brother.
    Kudo's for figuring out my REAL desire.

If I do, can I send them over to your house for troll training? I don't really have a lot of time right now, tbh. Newborn baby takes up all my free time.

Kudo's for figuring out my REAL desire.

If I do, can I send them over to your house for troll training? I don't really have a lot of time right now, tbh. Newborn baby takes up all my free time.

You could stop spending so much time on making suggestions. The game won't be any worse off, really, and you can do.. baby stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by crattey View Post
    You could stop spending so much time on making suggestions. The game won't be any worse off, really, and you can do.. baby stuff?
    I only make suggestions when I'm at work, cuz work is.. you know, ugh.

Besides, everyone knows something like this has to happen - you can't have an MMO with a whole sh*tload of single person activities... might as well go play solitaire or choke the chicken.

Hellya, I just roll with it though, S10 is empty so in some ways it's tight, like my 76 billion on different alts.
    U have 76 toons?

Mate, I think YOU need a girlfriend.

(siggy material)
    Last edited by Gunfytr; Apr 12th, 2011 at 06:42:22.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    U have 76 toons?

Mate, I think YOU need a girlfriend.

(siggy material)
    Org banks possibly?
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Quote Originally Posted by mcnurja View Post
    Hell no. leveling in this game is gay enough already, making it hard would make everyone Quit, [...].
    OP had a point in one way - power leveling by experienced players leads to situation where 90% of new playerbase (and I know that from last experience, counted them!) doesn't know about any other way of playing AO except daily and OST/Kite.

Myself, with friend, are makeing RK mishes, just to show new ones that there are alternativities and actually Rubi-Ka is huge place to live and visit, but what we get most times:

[playerX]: Borgs are better XP!
    [playerYXZ]: I cant enter grid, dont have computer literacy...
    [playerBYZ]: Where is Broken Shores?!
    [playerYYY]: How you will kite in those rooms?!?!?!!? (after entering RK mish with 2 uber twinks...)
    [Noob-lvl110Doc]: (Noob executes Emergency Stitching within you NCU)

Basicly, because whole kite/ost players dont have tu upgrade: just put IP into RS and runnnnnnnnnnn Forest, while others shot Borg or press Q while ENf holds agro or Doc...
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12