Thread: <-Agent's Thoughts for Improvement->

Cool <-Agent's Thoughts for Improvement->

Hello all,
    I have been on Rubi-Ka since its very first days of being open to the public. I remember the weeks of crashes, disconnects, lag like you wouldn't believe, and just basic pandamonium. As I have played AO I have seen it grow and mature. Anarchy Online has some 300k members now and probably is still growing. We are the only MMORPG with a ARK system of players helping players. I love AO and the only reason why I don't have a 200 level character yet is cause I just don't have the time with RL coming in and interposing. I have had to take month breaks before faithfully returning. With that said, here is the wisdom that i gleamed for Agents out there and a course for our imporvement.

First off, I did play back in the day of pre-nerf. It was a very interesting time when a level 20 agent could kill a red with an aimed shot. Or a aimed shot doing perhaps 4k damage. We were very powerful and main damage dealers at times. I say do not flame and rant to return to these days, but look for ways to improve. Aimed shot does not function properly now. I currently am a 70 agent using a ql 114 Cat and only get 1k aimeds at times... usually only 500 damage on the average. I belive an aimed shot should be what it is meant to be. A assasination atempt at a target. Where time and concentration are necessary to produce not only a aimed shot but critical damage to your target. When I think aimed shot I think for a head shot an instant death shot. This is currently not the case. We agents would gladly endure some type of penalty to allow us the ability to function as an agent and take out a target easily.

Secondly, when one thinks about an agent they think about stealth. Conceal has been greatly improved but still need alot of work. I am able to hide from all of my team mates almost all of the time and can see people who try to had most of the time. Though I am not able to hide from most monsters. They always see me when I try to aimed shot. Though they do not argo on me. Conceal needs to be rethought yet agian. It works but it does not work properly. Agent should be able to go completely unoticed at times by all creatures alike when sneaking.. of course that depends on levels and perceptions. It just doesn't work properly.

Third, our own line of nanos are poorly lacking. Agents get short changed when it comes to special nanos for our profession. Yes it is true we can use the nanos of all other profs. We were limited in what we can use though. This is good for balanceing but needs to be rethought but that is for another post. Agents have Roots... very poor DOTs... which for the Nano skills needed to cast them they do not do enough damage and by the time you are able to cast them... there damage will hardly affect the mobs you face.... Rifle buffs.. which are good... damage buffs... crit buffs now.. which were a very nice addition... and the infamous False Prof lines. I believe the the nanos of the agent need to be rethought. When you think agent you think of cool toys and gadgets from James Bond. We have no nanos that make use useful to others of our own. We must rely on other profs to be helpful and this reduces us as Agents. I love being able to cast the nanos of other professions don't get me wrong. But I think agents need special cool nanos of there own.

Fourth, healing. This is something I think all professions need. Yes I totally believe a doc is need for any good team. But when you solo or your team is lacking a proper doc you need some way to heal yourself. Heal nanos of some type should be made for all professions. They definately should not be as good as doc nanos. Adv and MAs have such nanos but i am thinking why does an agent have nanos that only increase damage. If I know about anatamy to kill someone I should be able to know enough to heal myself or someone. The same goes for Soldier/Enf. If they were out in our real world they would have some way of a emergance med kit and training to patch themselves up. All Prof need this in some shape or form. Just some way to heal other then a stim. I know it might not work but thoughts on this would be nice.

Fith, MAKE AGENTS THE WAY THE DESCRIPTION SAYS WE SHOULD BE. Taken from the Funcom description of agent when you select it.
    Agent. A profession focused on excellence in espianage and subterfuge. The agent is primed with skill advancements in concealment and stealth as well as distance weaponry and martial arts. With a combination of nano programs and expert training this profession can gain access to covert areas and stay concealed for as long as necessary. Agents also have access to special nano formulas that enables them to run programs normally only available to other professions.

Sounds cool doesn't it. Sounds like we would be dressed in all black sneaking into Omni or Clan territory to raise hell. But its not true. It takes alot of IP to be able to hide for anything let alone try and solo kill something. What covert areas can we get into. I cannot hide from a guard and my conceal is 600 with all my buffs on-740 with my cloaking device on. Make agent the way the discription says we should be.

These are my thoughts. I have been playing an agent for a long time and will continue to play. I just would like to see us fixed as well as all other professions. Please add your own thoughts. You can correct mine as well. But be kind. An exchange of information instead of just putting me down. Thanks for your time and see you on Rubi-Ka.
    Last edited by Nano; Aug 2nd, 2002 at 22:59:39.
    Nanohacker - Level 200 Omni NT-- My Stuff
    As dusk decends a single figure is seen upon the battle field. The air surges with unseen power. Nanobots are a buzz with anticipation. This is the Nanotechs domain. Mass battle and destruction. Here is where our powers reside.

I swear to god... Innate NT hate man!

Re: <-Agent's Thoughts for Improvement->

First off...

Originally posted by NightMyst
    Anarchy Online has some 300k members now and probably is still growing. We are the only MMORPG with a ARK system of players helping players.
    Wrong. Not only do we not have anywhere NEAR 300k members, maybe 50k if we're lucky, we're not the only game with ARKs. UO has (had?) these, and so did EQ, they didn't work because they gave them too much power and the players abused it. Thus in AO the ARKs have basically no power.

Anyway, down to the point of the post. Agents are a very underpowered profession at any level lower than 125 I'd say. Being 139 myself, agents in my team have no trouble pulling off aimedshots for 3 or 4000 damage. You're not supposed to be able to hide from guards. Wait till you break 100 to be able to do that. You could be wielding a much better gun, too. With QL 90 imps, say, plus sniper's bliss and some good trader debuffs, you could get up to 700 or so rifle skill. That's more than enough for a QL 130+ weapon. You will get better with time, don't worry.
    Intenseheat: Omni MA, ph33r teh ub3r l337
    Preeminence: Omni crat - hopelessly gimped - lost 180K IP trying to reset skills - ph33r teh ub3r t33th
    Omniwins: Omni soldier, always winning

I'm just an ass that happens to be smart.

Aimed Shot
    Very much underpowered IMO. I imagined this would be something to compensate for our inferior hitpoints and evades at higher levels. If we could take out mobs quickly they wouldn't have time to hurt us so badly. I'd like to see aimed shot with higher average damage and less deviation from average. A 4k AS once in a blue moon looks impressive, but you can't rely on AS to save your life.

Concealment
    I like how concealment works right now, except for that annoying LoS issue. Once you've been in a mobs LoS you can not sneak past that mob until you've moved out of "radar" range. It would be nice if mobs would "forget" past LoS checks after some time, say 15 seconds or so.

Damage over Time
    *shrug* Why do we even have these? In the same time it takes me to cast one, I could have gotten an extra shot off, inflicting more damage than the accumulated DoT damage. I always thought trained assassins would be better at poisoning people than doctors. Guess I've seen too many ninja movies.

Fith, MAKE AGENTS THE WAY THE DESCRIPTION SAYS WE SHOULD BE.
    You do realise this will be interpreted as "Change the description on agents", don't you?

Re: <-Agent's Thoughts for Improvement->

Originally posted by NightMyst

First off, I did play back in the day of pre-nerf. It was a very interesting time when a level 20 agent could kill a red with an aimed shot. Or a aimed shot doing perhaps 4k damage. We were very powerful and main damage dealers at times. I say do not flame and rant to return to these days, but look for ways to improve. Aimed shot does not function properly now. I currently am a 70 agent using a ql 114 Cat and only get 1k aimeds at times... usually only 500 damage on the average. I belive an aimed shot should be what it is meant to be. A assasination atempt at a target. Where time and concentration are necessary to produce not only a aimed shot but critical damage to your target. When I think aimed shot I think for a head shot an instant death shot. This is currently not the case. We agents would gladly endure some type of penalty to allow us the ability to function as an agent and take out a target easily.

Lv110 Agent here, played since the same era. Know what?

I've hit for sub 550 AimedShot's, when 550 is my skill. I have a
    screenshot of an "amazing" 428 aimedshot!! How are we even
    supposed to rival brawls, bursts, flings, etc? AimedShot is one
    slow cycling special that's supposed to to great damage. But
    it doesn't. I admit I've gotten a 9.5k aimedshot, but people who
    say it's viable should look at my average. It's not always pretty.

1)AimedShot has to be consistent. With 550 skill I should not hit
    for less that 550, period, on a *special* attack..

Another thing is regular damage. I've hit for double digits a good
    4-5 times in a row on occasions, with 780 rifle skill. Can you
    explain to me why? Mostly on only lv160-180 mobs....

(This is with an non-OE QL188 X-3. 200 in 5 lv's or if I use UA.)

Our REGULAR damage is borked even more than AimedShot.

Don't get me wrong. When we're on, we're on. When my regular
    damage is doing well, I hit as low as 400, but most are in the 600
    to 1.1k range. But hitting for double digits, consistently?

We need help more than people realize.
    Last edited by Morthoseth; Aug 3rd, 2002 at 18:02:07.
    "Ideas are more dangerous than guns.
    We wouldn't let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?"

Smile

Thanks for your guys input. I realize now my post was rather long and biased. Oh well.. I shall do better later on. It was late I was mad that I had died for the 5th time in one play session while the rest of my team was nice and healthy. Hope to see you all on Rubi-Ka. Oh and for the comment on the games subscriber base I am not sure if I am right but I was told by some high up people in the FC department that 300k was the close number to subscribers. Now we are not even close to the EQ subscriber base but we can't be as low as 50k. But I could be just be wrong no one is infalible.
    Nanohacker - Level 200 Omni NT-- My Stuff
    As dusk decends a single figure is seen upon the battle field. The air surges with unseen power. Nanobots are a buzz with anticipation. This is the Nanotechs domain. Mass battle and destruction. Here is where our powers reside.

I swear to god... Innate NT hate man!