Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Answers from FWM November 11th, 2011 Questions

Funcom employee

Many of us who has been around since 2001 have a different life situation today than we had 10 years ago. As an example I have a 125 % job, a house to maintain, and multiple kids that I did not have back in 2001. Will the Ingame Shop in the future be extended to contain EVERY item and levels in this game?

While the shop will likely include the ability to buy levels for veteran characters who have previously attained those levels we will not be adding "achievement" type loot items to the store. It is possible that lesser versions of these items will be available at some point...but the people who work to get those special pieces of endgame gear are not going to be matched by someone who gave us ten dollars. For example the Burden will never be in the in-game store while it is up to me. As a father of two with a busy lifestyle I understand your position and I miss the days where I could also invest 40+ hours a week into my hobby. When I play now I don't expect to have ALL the same gear as the most hardcore players...but I still manage to enjoy playing with my characters as they are (no I don't spawn anything I want before anyone asks.)
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

Funcom employee

Will there be any background related story events and changes to the world happening after engine update (like major cities changing hands/getting destroyed/rebuilt etc)

Absolutely.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Funcom employee

What percentage of your revenues come from itemshop and is this percentage high enough to consider making AO a free mmorpg at some point? I'd be satisfied with a partial answer.

The revenue generated from the store at this point does not justify cancelling our subscription plans. Maybe at some point in the future this might change but for now it is more likely we will introduce more ways for free players to make single transactions to enjoy more of the game content.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Funcom employee

Have you considered updating the froob offer, 6 years after it was introduced, and adding other expansions to it?

At some point in 2012 there will be more options for free players to access more of the subscriber game content.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Funcom employee

LE research severely limited the "uniqueness" of some builds, would you consider limiting players by forcing them to select only 2 research lines to keep active at a time?Would you consider opening up nearly all perk lines for all professions? New players could become overwhelmed, but the perklines could be sorted in "typical profession perks" and then other perks left as "general". The variety of builds and the limiting amount of perks a player could use could offer some exciting setups. (Just remove Mongo Rage first and no one could complain)

I disagree with many of the broad statements you make in this question. We don't have any immediate plans of making the choices available to each profession less specific. If anything it is more likely we will add more choices for individual professions over time.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Funcom employee

Since a group of shades completed pande without the use of any other professions, can we expect massive shade nerfs now?

I heard about that and thought it was fantastic and it must have been quite the challenge making it through the playfield. No there won't be any nerfs based on one interesting day in Pande
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Funcom employee

Do you think all the character and monster models from Conan could be added to AO to really boost the variety?

I'm not sure which monsters from Conan would really "fit" in AO. That being said the monsters in Conan are largely associated with the Conan License so they can not be used in another product. I think AO is deserving of its own original monsters and they should be included in the next significant booster we add to the product.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Funcom employee

Will synergy effects or gear sets ever be considered? IE boosts for more of the same armor type rather than mix-matching.

We would love to add that feature at some point and it has been discussed in the past. This would of course require some significant code work to be done...so there is no ETA on when we might get the chance to see that in action as the coders have a great deal on their plates at the moment.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Funcom employee

Facial tattoos, earings, necklaces, ties, etc...when?

We don't have support for adding those things to the current models. For example to add one face tattoo would currently involve the production of 360ish new head textures to make it work. That being said the new character models coming with the new engine will include some new attractors for adding real mesh objects to existing equipment slots that currently do not support them ie: Belt meshes, lower leg meshes, upper leg meshes etc.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Funcom employee

How long until a raid that makes being melee rather than range a benefit becomes introduced? Even the final boss of DB3 only requires the team's crat pets to attack the healer mob.

I would say it is a good thing that there is an encounter where pets have proved to be very useful. I would hesitate to add any encounter where it would be essential to have either ranged OR melee in the team makeup. Melee people/pets are needed in the BS to interrupt capping of points which is significant. DB2 has a mechanic where ranged people heal the boss where Melee people do not so there are examples of places where melee is an advantage. I would be interested in hearing suggestions on what would make an encounter more melee friendly without exluding ranged professions.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Funcom employee

Can you please make hecklers run way when gray to people?

That will be happening with the rebalance.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Funcom employee

turd, will you guys ever add an in-game item store that parallels the current one, that sells all the same items but for a whopping amount of creds? you know, money sink etc.. yada yada..

Turd?...A lot of items from the in-game store can be purchased from other players for credits. We won't be adding a straight credit purchase version of the store any time soon.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Funcom employee

After rebalance, will it be posible to do a FIPR without removing Alpha symbs?

We are looking into solutions for this issue as it would represent a significant time investment for a lot of people to re-equip these items.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Funcom employee

What is the status of the new start up interface?

We are not changing the entire interface for the new start up..but there will likely be some small changes to make some information, which would be good to know, more accessible and easier to find.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Funcom employee

What are the proposed changes in store for s10?

The bosses spawn locations currently will now be available in both single and team entrances near the entrance. Emergency exit locations will also be placed throughout the playfield. Snare towers, which never really fulfilled their intended purpose are being removed. Some new missions are also going to be added to the area...and when we have time some new encounters too.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Funcom employee

With the recent changes already made to s10. Players have taken it upon themselves to hike the prices sky high on almost everything driving the player economy to even higher heights. Any plans on tackling this in the immediate future or is this going to be left as it for now?

Increasing prices when there are less credits coming in to the economy will fix itself and represents a relatively short-term problem.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Funcom employee

Are you considering to change the PVP rating so that one dont need 40k+ kills to max out one title on one toon?

As the title does nothing to actually affect the power level of a character and can be something to work towards as a long term "nice to have" goal we don't have any immediate plans of changing it.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Funcom employee

Is the rebalance taking more effort than first anticipated?

Absolutely. When we first "looked under the hood" we were quite surprised at what we found....and even more surprised at what we found the more we continued to dig. We feel that this is an incredibly important opportunity for us to really dig into old systems that we, and the community, would like to see changed and really make things play as well as they should. Adding another band-aid to the pile is not the intention here...and as such is definitely going to take more time than we ever imagined when we started looking into some small issues.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Funcom employee

How successful do you think your time as GM has been, in regards to the active playerbase, loss of a server & the like...Do you feel you're doing a good job & do you think the current levels of players is a sign of how well you're really doing?

From the general tone of the question I'm pretty certain how I think you would judge my time. As the longest sitting Game Director the product has ever had, by far, I do think about this quite often. I am a different case as well in that I am the only person who has ever been charged with fulfilling the Game Director and Producer roles for the product at the same time. Trying to do both of these roles at the same time I would judge as a failure as on many different occasions having to focus on both resulted in one role suffering from lack of attention...there being only so many hours in a 12 hour day. I don't feel that merging the German dimension was a failure of any kind as there had been complaints about population on that server for years before we actually took action to do something about it...though I do understand that people generally see ANY server merge as a negative sign. I'm proud we did what was necessary for the enjoyment of our German players despite how it would possibly be received by anyone else. We have survived more significant unforeseeable disasters than I could possibly mention here during the past three years. I am also sure that the MMORPG market has never been as competitive as it is now..yet the Game itself has remained well ahead of projections. Many MMORPGs have been released in recent years and vanished into thin air. I think we have done a great deal with what we have had to work with but until the engine + rebalance is complete I don't think it can be judged favourably. What I am certain of is that I have done my absolute best during this time and given my heart and soul to this project over the last 8 years. Few of the "big" dreams I'd had for my time in this position have managed to be completed during the past few years but yet we have been more than inhumanly busy the entire time...and not to be unclear on this at all I am extremely proud of what the team has managed to accomplish. I'd like to hope on the day that I move on I will be fondly remembered for the good I've done and the progress we've made...but based on past cases I imagine that is far too much to ask. I am incredibly grateful for the amazing interaction I have had with all of you for the last 8 years...good and bad. I still think Anarchy Online is one of the best games available..and still after 10 years really offers up something truly unique and special to gamers out there who have what it takes
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Funcom employee

So how good is your account security?

Excellent. People who do not share their passwords, share account names/password combinations with other sites/games, or visit sites that compromise their machines completely have nothing to worry about.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast