Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: February 2012

"It could always be worse", right. Sooner or later this line of thinking stops working.

Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    Blizzard had no worries about whether there'd be anyone left to play it.
    They can just shut down AO and relaunch it and say it's a new game sure, it'd make all the rest of us into whiny nerd clowns who'd sit and rage for having our uber chars wiped, but hey, there's like 5 of us altogether, so who cares. Fix up the itemstore to sell items more properly and the game would be all new players and they'd likely have no problems with the expenditure of developing new engine.

I'm also sure that even if there had been a new engine 3 years ago, those people who left were going to leave anyway. Saying that AO is such a great game that people will continue to play it forever is silly and a total fanboy comment. AO isn't that great, it's full of problems and it always was and those problems will very likely never go away, after all they're still here 11 years later. Some of us have stuck around, for weird reasons, but are we the vast majority? No, we don't even count as a minority.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    Quick update: Doing some interviews this week for major gaming sites (related to the new video), will keep you posted. Peace out. ..I can't believe I said peace out.
    Which sites
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Quick update: Doing some interviews this week for major gaming sites (related to the new video), will keep you posted. Peace out. ..I can't believe I said peace out.
    thanks for the update, that's good news. Guess we'll see the video in early april then?
    keep smiling
    Najade s, Najengi s, Najngi s, Najmp s, Shadysannz, Toccata, Frobos, Chaodoc, Najcrat, Najtank
    sannz - ENL - NR01-GOLF-11
    a time of changing has begun; the leaves are fallen and undone; inside my spirit starts to run; and all my fears are overcome. - Chiasm, Rewind, 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sannz View Post
    Guess we'll see the video in early april then?
    April 1st probably ?
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Which sites
    "5D games" (established in 2015, review of new video planed on xmas of 2017)
    "HolographGamesMagazine" (this one will lunch in early 2013, interview will be aviable just around 2018, due premiere of NyanCat in 5D Tech)

/troll "off"
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Gridpain View Post
    April 1st probably ?
    wonder if it would make it into that list...
    keep smiling
    Najade s, Najengi s, Najngi s, Najmp s, Shadysannz, Toccata, Frobos, Chaodoc, Najcrat, Najtank
    sannz - ENL - NR01-GOLF-11
    a time of changing has begun; the leaves are fallen and undone; inside my spirit starts to run; and all my fears are overcome. - Chiasm, Rewind, 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sannz View Post
    wonder if it would make it into that list...
    It's already here, so why not !
    Thornee - resurrected lowbie, former 200 Fixer
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

It doesn't actually fit the vaporware list though. But there are too many haters out there, I guess.
    The Red Brotherhood

It doesn't actually fit the vaporware list though. But there are too many haters out there, I guess.
    what is your definition of vaporware then ?
    // Break time //

Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale

what is your definition of vaporware then ?
    Reading the wiki article it's apparently become a very fluid term, as several items on the wiki list seems to just be there because some people are butthurt as the article starts out with the description of vaporware as being unreleased, but never cancelled. With several items on the list being both released, cancelled and actual works in progress. And looking at their examples of released vaporware, then it in general just seems to be a term for people who are pretty butthurt, and I conclude that with the amount of butthurters abusing the term for their pet peeve, it has lost any real and actual meaning and can mean anything you're waiting for which doesn't fulfill an arbitrary schedule decided upon by you. So I guess by that undefinition, it is vaporware.
    The Red Brotherhood

Reading the wiki article it's apparently become a very fluid term, as several items on the wiki list seems to just be there because some people are butthurt as the article starts out with the description of vaporware as being unreleased, but never cancelled. With several items on the list being both released, cancelled and actual works in progress. And looking at their examples of released vaporware, then it in general just seems to be a term for people who are pretty butthurt, and I conclude that with the amount of butthurters abusing the term for their pet peeve, it has lost any real and actual meaning and can mean anything you're waiting for which doesn't fulfill an arbitrary schedule decided upon by you. So I guess by that undefinition, it is vaporware.
    I lol'd!

Let me restate my question : what is your definition of vaporware ?
    // Break time //

Froob for 3 years :

Sloob since 2009 :

Let me restate my question : what is your definition of vaporware ?
    Announced X that fizzles out of existence to exist only in rumors about how it was going to exist. Communication disappears, mention is never made. Questions go unanswered.

If you are wondering, I never considered DNF vaporware either. It was continually developed and talked about. Towards the end it could've become vaporware were it not for Gearbox, though one might argue that the game we got wasn't the game that was announced, so possibly it IS vaporware, and another game came and took its place?
    The Red Brotherhood

Announced X that fizzles out of existence to exist only in rumors about how it was going to exist. Communication disappears, mention is never made. Questions go unanswered.
    For me, this is more a definition of canceled project.

Anyway, being "teased" is nice ...

being "teased" for 5 years is just frustrating.
    // Break time //

Froob for 3 years :

Sloob since 2009 :

For me, this is more a definition of canceled project.

Anyway, being "teased" is nice ...

being "teased" for 5 years is just frustrating.
    Well, it'd have to be actually called cancelled Also, the two are I guess closely related, as vaporware is really just stuff that's cancelled but noone's ever gone out and said so.
    The Red Brotherhood

vaporware is really just stuff that's cancelled but noone's ever gone out and said so.
    Though I don't think that the new engine is vaporware (I want to believe!), I think vaporware has a somewhat different definition than what you said. IMHO, it's a project that keeps being marketed as coming soon™, but without any proof that the project is still ongoing or being developed at all, with constant delays for the deadline. The new engine is somewhere in between. They give us screenshots and videos once in a while, though not nearly as often as one would expect.

Anyway, even if it is vaporware now, it doesn't mean it won't get released some day.

Please check the boxes next to the criteria the engine does not meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    announced to the general public but is never actually released nor officially canceled...a product that is announced months or years before its release...vendors are criticized for intentionally producing vaporware in order to keep customers from switching to competitive products
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictionary.com
    a product, especially software, that is promoted or marketed while it is still in development and that may never be produced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merriam Webster
    a computer-related product that has been widely advertised but has not and may never become available
    Quote Originally Posted by Networkdictionary
    software or hardware which is announced by a developer well in advance of its release, but which then fails to emerge, either with or without a protracted development cycle. The term implies deception, or at least a negligent degree of optimism; that is, it implies that the announcer knows that product development is in too early a stage to support responsible statements about its completion date, feature set, or even feasibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techterms
    Vaporware is hardware or software that has been announced, but has missed its release date by a significant amount of time. It includes both products that are eventually released and products that are never released at all...Vaporware is typically produced when a company is over-aggressive in announcing a product release date...There is no official length of delay that makes a product vaporware, but the term often surfaces after a delay of three months or more. It also is commonly used after a company postpones the release date for the second time. While vaporware can sometimes work in a company's favor by generating extra buzz, it typically diminishes the product hype, especially after a long delay. When a company has multiple products turn into vaporware, it can tarnish the corporate image and negatively affects the company's credibility with consumers. Therefore, most businesses make a strong effort to release their products on time.
    There were some other good ones but for the most part they are all the same as above.

The engine has missed it's projected release how many times? 6? 10? It was announced 5 years ago and they are now in the process of advertising it via "major gaming sites" and it's not even in the testing phase... Of course there is a line between "troubled development" and true, malicious, vaporware. But if FC wasn't intending to release the engine they wouldn't tell you anyway Things that are labeled as vaporware can always be redeemed, case in point DNF. But that doesn't mean the label is incorrect until, if, they are released.

It is much easier to find definitions of vaporware that the engine does meet, than to find ones it doesn't.

One last one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Irons
    coming real soon now; we mean it this time
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

[prose]

The New Engine

In February we produced our first new engine video! The Funcom marketing department liked it so much that they jumped at the chance to help us promote it, which ultimately pushed it back a couple of days but the extra time is worth it!
    Couple of days in FC words means years )

on 31.03. they will say that they made a video with a new build with many new features and marketing department wanted to use that video instead of old one, and the extra wait time for this video is WORTH IT!!!

))))

incredible...
    Account frozen: Ornaola - 220/30 Opifex MA

"New account": Ornaolla - 220/18 trox MA

Yes im back, lol. Nerf addiction.

Why post this now, this could have been a monthly update :P
    Account frozen: Ornaola - 220/30 Opifex MA

"New account": Ornaolla - 220/18 trox MA

Yes im back, lol. Nerf addiction.

Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast