Thread: Inferno missions, the outdated mechanic.

Inferno missions, the outdated mechanic.

Hi

I'd like to propose a change to the mechanic behind inferno missions. More directly the sk reward system.
    While it is true that its hard to get a team going, I think it is safe to say its not always because you lack people, it is because you lack one person. That being the 220 who has to drag you along.

With the release of LE and the new research grind, I do agree that it made sense having a system that scale reward based on level of the mission puller.
    Now years later with a lower population, and less 220s who still need to get LE70.
    The system is counter productive, it stagnates leveling because everyone is waiting around for a 220 to come along.
    Yes you might say: "Just get the highest one to pull then" I won't say it is a fact, but it is damn near a fact that people won't do a mission if they know a 220 will give more sk.
    So the question really comes down to this, what is easier to change? The system or the way people think? I'd say the system is easier, feel free to disagree.

My initial proposal is to keep the scaling system up to level 210, and from 210 -> 220 it is the same reward no matter what level pulls the mission.
    That way people won't feel constrained to waiting for a 220, since a 215 pulling will give them the same reward.

For those saying: "oh but this will make it to easy to level" It won't make it easier, it will increase the availability of missions and possibly even make people put more effort into gearing up their toons.
    It will allow people to level instead of sitting around for 3 hours waiting for a 220.
    I don't see how that is a bad thing.

TL;DR

Change the reward system so that from level 210 -> 220 there is a flat reward, enabling people to do inferno missions without having the "Must have a 220" syndrome.

Darkempire
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Can't but agree, I see no real reason why not?
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Signed.

However, with my limited knowledge of game engines and code, even a change such as this that appears simple in theory, will most likely require large amounts of developer time and effort.

My above comment doesn't even account for the AO engine syndrome, where everything takes three times as long as it should (due to outdated code), which is ten times as long as we'd like.

Personally, I'd also support the idea of cross-faction teams for inf missions in an attempt to alleviate the population concerns; spawn a neutral mish and swap the familiar with a Mortiig, simple in theory, a nightmare to implement.

A good suggestion nevertheless.

Cheers.
    -Trony-
    Doctrony - 220/30 Doctor
    Neurix - 100/10 Nano-Technician

"The best of leaders when the job is done, when the task is
    accomplished, the people will say we have done it ourselves"
    - Lao Tzu

I don't see how this would be even remotely hard to do for the dev team, since the system of scaling rewards in already in place, the daily rewards work this way.
    So well yeah, i also would like to see this change, just make sure that the reward is never LESS than it is today, regardless of level of the persons in the team and all is well.
    Last edited by nanoforcer; Nov 29th, 2012 at 23:44:05.
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

Capital idea, exactly how the OP describes it!

And if they scale mission difficulty (mob levels) like the reward, with a 210 pulled mission being the same as a 220 pulled one, it's not "easier" (as in less or easier work) to level, just faster and slightly more fun because of higher availability. Missions might even be a bit more challenging if they're like the current 220 difficulty missions and you're running them with no 220 player in the team.
    Hlep gnak!

yes pls!
    Contra
    Urynt
    Malraux
    Fontane
    Critbull
    Cleanex
    Fontane2

you'd still need 210+ toon in team.
    other solution would be missions rewards scaling for each player separately.
    then 160 toon would get as much xp if he was highest in team or following 220's

actually higher level toon in normal teams eats a share of your xp, so its kind of silly to promote teaming with them by getting highest mission reward :P
    Last edited by Otansaanpas; Dec 3rd, 2012 at 11:26:09.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Quote Originally Posted by nanoforcer View Post
    I don't see how this would be even remotely hard to do for the dev team, since the system of scaling rewards in already in place, the daily rewards work this way.
    You must be new here

Bump though. It takes enough inf missions to reach 220/70, and the last thing people want to be nagged to do after that is even more inferno missions.
    Mcbtj 220/30/70 Adv
    Mcbtk 220/30/70 Fixer
    Syntactician 220/23/70 Doc
    Clyptica 170/24/42 NT
    Fluffydeer 60/6/14 Enf
    SPIRIT

Going by Title Level instead of Level would be a nice change all around.
    Glarawyn L220 OT Adventurer
    It's good to be furry.
    ----
    Lilredhot L220 OT Enforcer
    Don't mind me, I tank without a helmet.
    ----
    Gunslinger19 L150 OT Soldier
    There's a word for people who think everyone's out to get them: perceptive.

signed
    Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I think you're wrong. I think AO is the most balanced MOBA out there.

Just to play devils advocate, as I personally do as few infs as I can.

There is the old chestnut; "More sk per hour with a 215, 216, 217, 218, etc roller than lounging lft, spamming for a 220.

The "Must have 220 syndrome" is a mentality, not reason/math/logic.^^
    I make it look easy, 'cause it is to me.

Well, it depends if you want the best sk/hour or sk/effort Sit on lft, DON'T spam for a 220 - effortless

Quote Originally Posted by Merit View Post
    Just to play devils advocate, as I personally do as few infs as I can.

There is the old chestnut; "More sk per hour with a 215, 216, 217, 218, etc roller than lounging lft, spamming for a 220.

The "Must have 220 syndrome" is a mentality, not reason/math/logic.^^
    In reality it's more like "roll with <220 or AFK while doing something more interesting".
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

I agree with OP, keep the same rewards and mob lvl as if 220 is pulling.
    SOON™coming back...
    Neosh 220/20 Shade | Neokirurg 220/21 Doc crit setup | Neoc 216/18 Crat
    Shades are really invisible (from FC point of view)
    Patterns/symbs SALE ----- Refined imps SALE

/signed
    and now as hyperlink in the "constructive player opinion" at the bottom of the main summary
    Last edited by orochi3; Dec 20th, 2012 at 18:52:22.
    Garden keys can be bought from the key locked garden vendor in case you have deleted your key.

Bump for you and your idea!

Even though I think everyone should be able to pull missions (not only 210+) and reward should just scale on the challenge of the mission (easy, medium, hard).