Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: ban multi boxing, this issue will not go away no matter how many threads you close

You guys might want to read THIS POST even if it probably makes you more mad...
    Aeliniyah Opifex Doc | Venkula Solitus Doc | Rohtoiivari Trox Doc | Yutheron Solitus Trader Ianamura NM Crat
    Technigyro Trox Enfo | Gizmoplex Trox Keeper | Icarya Opi MA | Vinetto Opifex Shade | Retku Solitus Engineer
    Geraplex Trox Sold | Tuulispaa Opifex Fixer | Wertion Solitus MP | Kemoplex Trox MA
    And a fleet of other alts...

Quote Originally Posted by SoapTarder View Post
    its funny how AO requires so much grinding and effort to make any progress, both ingame and in Development

Quote Originally Posted by Pafpuf View Post
    Well I think it's wrong that I stand in OA flagged for 40 minutes without a single person attacking me, then I get assisted on by 8 people at once. Am I quitting or making threads about it ?
    This has nothing to do with anything I said and I'm sure you're smart enough to realize that (I hope).

Quote Originally Posted by Aeliniyah View Post
    Yep, I read it which is why I said grats to all sides for being... whatever.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Wait what? did you respond to the right person?
    nope the post before yours, don't see how that happened though.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Adva View Post
    It's funny. Many of the Clans that are having their NW "ruined" by multi boxing were just fine with actively shutting entire time zones out of NW. Hard to feel sorry for any of you after that.
    Two wrongs doesn't make one right.
    The really funny part, is that we are actually trying to fight this. Cause it is just wrong.
    Perhaps you tried to do the same? If so, we are actually on the same side. There might be a prime time for each sides, and then, moving the 'timers' may have something/much to say. I got no numbers on this, nor any knowledge on why it does matter. Neither the less, thats another mechanizm-fault, and if thats enough inspiration for some angry individuals to completely kill a major part of the game... then; good going, I'm glad it does damage to the game (missunderstand me correctly, I love this game, and have been overly active the last... pffft, 6 years?) cause something must be done.
    Last edited by xeonax; Apr 7th, 2014 at 19:16:37.

Also, to make this clear. 1 player x 10 = 10 individual players, while 1 x 6 x 3 = 18 / 3 individual players... 10 is more than 3.

Quote Originally Posted by xeonax View Post
    Two wrongs doesn't make one right.
    The really funny part, is that we are actually trying to fight this. Cause it is just wrong.
    Perhaps you tried to do the same? If so, we are actually on the same side. There might be a prime time for each sides, and then, moving the 'timers' may have something/much to say. I got no numbers on this, nor any knowledge on why it does matter. Neither the less, thats another mechanizm-fault, and if thats enough inspiration for some angry individuals to completely kill a major part of the game... then; good going, I'm glad it does damage to the game (missunderstand me correctly, I love this game, and have been overly active the last... pffft, 6 years?) cause something must be done.
    Prime for all factions have ALWAYS been European evenings. Funny enough also a time slot where omni DONT want towers hot, and one where clan ALWAYS has had towers hot.

Go figure
    Instability:
    Humlebien
    Neophyte
    Whereishumle
    Callmebetty
    Humlox
    Betty
    Melankolia

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    This has nothing to do with anything I said and I'm sure you're smart enough to realize that (I hope).
    What I was trying to do is point out that "wrong behavior" is purely subjective and can easily be blown out of proportion.

So you agree with me, you have no idea what impact it actually has beyond reading other people's whines about it and jumping into the boat. Because all I see is doom prediction with no actual facts, someone who's been here as long as you have should know that this scenario has happened literally a dozen times throughout AO history.

"Oh no people quitting, AO is doomed"; has been since I started it. People have quit for lots of reasons, if they don't like multiboxing well, they know where the cancel button is. Reality is, it's not that big of an issue and actually hasn't been until megalomania suffering clanners started dying in pvp to 5 nts and thought that it's unfair even though I see no difference between that and getting assisted on by 6 people, end result is often the same.

If it actually kills the game (which it won't), I'll just snicker.

Well I think it's wrong that I stand in OA flagged for 40 minutes without a single person attacking me, then I get assisted on by 8 people at once. Am I quitting or making threads about it ?
    I think you meant s******, and not a popular nut-filled chocolate bar, I did enjoy your attempt at miss-direction, in no way does my post mean I agree with you, but you knew that and couldn't think of a better response than miss-direction, so be it as for the history oh yes there have been many "we quit then" threads and those players did leave, but in those instances in time the loss of 60+players was a small percentage, now however is is not.

Rhetorical question as a closing statement? really what did you hope that would prove?
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

I'm not trying to prove anything, it's you people who are trying to create a huge deal over nothing.

You have never ever stood at OA flagged for 40 mins without dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeliniyah View Post
    Yup, another nail in the coffin lid, the short version would be "it would take time and effort to police(we won't do either)" and "we could introduce other governing factors that would be more unpopular that the problem people are complaining about, thereby fooling people into accepting the status quo as a lesser evil"

I mean come on, really that was expected to fly?

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Caloss2 View Post
    Yup, another nail in the coffin lid, the short version would be "it would take time and effort to police(we won't do either)" and "we could introduce other governing factors that would be more unpopular that the problem people are complaining about, thereby fooling people into accepting the status quo as a lesser evil"

I mean come on, really that was expected to fly?

Good job with the selective reading and missing the point entirely.
    Last edited by Macrosun; Apr 7th, 2014 at 19:32:50. Reason: quoted wrong post..

nope the post before yours, don't see how that happened though.
    Guess its hate on jill day.. macrosun did it to me too! lol
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by Macrosun View Post
    Good job with the selective reading and missing the point entirely.
    Selective reading is all about getting to the truth, not drowning in miss-direction, rather cutting through it.

So is the actual answer "there is just no way we can do it?" like the 5 red perpendicular lines comedy sketch?

edit added link in case you haven't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

If that's where we are at, then fair enough.
    Last edited by Caloss2; Apr 7th, 2014 at 19:41:04.

Funcom employee

Selective reading is all about getting to the truth, not drowning in miss-direction, rather cutting through it.

So is the actual answer "there is just no way we can do it?" like the 5 red perpendicular lines comedy sketch?
    The point is I can't think of any fair and reliable way to do it even if someone decided that's what FC wants. From a technical point of view, you can't ban one and keep the other (multibox & multilog). From a customer service point of view it's a nightmare to police and no one would be happy with the outcome anyway (for example unintentional flagging).

If you have any reasonable suggestions on how to solve it, I'm listening. I genuinely want to know about any suggestion for a policy or technical solution that can't be misused or otherwise broken in 5 minutes. I have been reading these threads for a long time now and I still haven't seen a single viable solution other than the constant "just ban it!!"

The point is I can't think of any fair and reliable way to do it even if someone decided that's what FC wants. From a technical point of view, you can't ban one and keep the other (multibox & multilog). From a customer service point of view it's a nightmare to police and no one would be happy with the outcome anyway (for example unintentional flagging).

If you have any reasonable suggestions on how to solve it, I'm listening. I genuinely want to know about any suggestion for a policy or technical solution that can't be misused or otherwise broken in 5 minutes. I have been reading these threads for a long time now and I still haven't seen a single viable solution other than the constant "just ban it!!"
    You act like this is the first time FC staff has been made aware of our perceived impact this has on the game.

I think the first petition and email/pm was send almost a year ago, regarding this very issue.

(Other instances of 3rd party software to automate clients has been petitioned even earlier, this being a clanner)
    Instability:
    Humlebien
    Neophyte
    Whereishumle
    Callmebetty
    Humlox
    Betty
    Melankolia

Thank you Macrosun for the feedback, ok there are still some great minds out there I could start a different thread on how to tackle the issue, but if an ARK mod or similar could keep half an eye on it for anything that deviates from it's outline:

Simply this:-

Title.
    Is there a simple way to stop multi-boxing, without breaking anything else

Guidelines
    Suggestions and solutions only, and replies/critiques directly on the validity of said subject/suggestion, all other posts will be deleted.

How does that sound ?

Funcom employee

Since Macrosun has been looking in to this from a coder's point of view, I will do the same, only from a designer's point of view (Since this is my main role on the Anarchy Online project for those who didn't know.)

Everyone seem to be in agreement that multi boxing/dual logging in pvm/pve is acceptable and doesn't cause many problems. I know from personal experience that most of you play Anarchy Online with at least two accounts simultaneously.

From what I read through all the complains we have received in regards to multi boxing, the issues people present are clearly related to how pvp works in AO and especially tower wars.

So what we could do from a designer's point of view is to limit the benefits that multi boxers get in notum wars by re-designing the system so that defenders get enough time to gather people for a defense. We would also look in to making a new normal set for towers so that they have a more balanced amount of health at the various level ranges.
    However, any design solution to a problem takes time and resources to develop. It would also need to be prioritized over other initiatives. If you want us to spend development time on this, please vote for it here.

In regards to the issue of fixer meep, we have added a local cooldown of 20 minutes to this nano line in the 18.7 branch. If this is not enough, I will look in to removing the team version of this nano. I hope we can get 18.7 patched out to the live dimension soon, as this update contains many of the things that I know people want.

Nice poll, I just hope it yields results.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast