Thread: Anyone noticed how slow the boards have been?

Anyone noticed how slow the boards have been?

Not really a next-patch thread, but I find it interesting how the boards have progressively had more and more grey icons next to each board, rather than the typical yellow. I suppose 2.5 months w/o a patch will do that.

The question is, have many people been quitting the game over the past couple months, to the point where even the boards (which, even during AO's worst moments, seemed to be pretty lively) are beginning to be abandoned?

Lets hope 14.5 not only reinvigorates the game, but the boards too. =)
    Gogo "Atremis" Yubari
    220 MA - RK1
    Tranq

There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Well. since i see more and more people in the game, I guess people rather play than write on the board these days

AO has come a long way, and the game is indeed playable now.

My experience has been the opposite... With no patches in 1/5th of a year most everyone has taken a break or quit from AO.

I haven't launched AO in over a month, and reading over my guild messageboard, nothing new has happened in ages.

Squick
    DrSquick - 134 Doc
    BloodSquick - 104 agent
    BrainSquick - 59 Crat
    Others: 42 NT, 27 MA, 14 Eng, 30 Enf

peoples impression of the population probably
    varies based on the times that they play.

I'm on at all hours, day and night, and the difference is dramatic.

sometimes, my poor little puter can hardly handle all the lag
    in BS / Newland. sometimes, i log in, /shout LFG for an hour,
    and log out without any XP because there were not enough
    people in either place to fill a team.

IMHO we are still having population problems.

In a game played by people all over the world,
    it shouldnt be so hard to find 6 on regardless of the hour.
    That never used to be a problem.

I often go to check the BS steps, and I'm the only one in the zone.
    (and before that, same situation in 20K)

I am RK1, btw. (shudder to think what the situation on RK2 is like..)

Hence the renaming of the dimensions, from #1 and #2, to something new...

The current naming scheme implies a primary and backup server to the average user, which is probably not what Funcom wants people to think. They'd prefer to spread out the user load across both systems mitigate some scale-related lag issues.

By switching the dimension names to a more benign nomenclature, they remove any potential bias. It'll be similar to how the shards were named in UO.
    Born on: Wed Jun 27 15:39:10 2001
    Slavor, Soldier, RK1

well.. I know a lot of people who don't come to the boards any more because all it was ever filled with were rants by people who were declaring they were quitting and then cursing and flaming everyone.
    Rookie Czarina - Opifex Pistol Crat ~220 with 19 Alien Titles~
    Czestiny - Solitus Rifle Crat ~26 with 2 Alien Titles~
    Czealous - Atrox 2-handed Blunt Crat ~21 with 2 Alien Titles~
    Czombie - Nanomage Assualt Rifle Crat ~15 with 2 Alien Titles~

Proud Opifex Crat of Tranquility
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo
    I heard the beast is rerolling as an adv

Originally posted by Squick
    My experience has been the opposite... With no patches in 1/5th of a year most everyone has taken a break or quit from AO.

I haven't launched AO in over a month, and reading over my guild messageboard, nothing new has happened in ages.

Squick
    actully i think MOST people are actully just not bothering with the boards and just play online.. Logical people gets quieter if they dont get anything after a long time.. Things cool down so to say... Thats a good thing.. As funcom is already working on 14.5 that is.. As when 14.5 will be out the People will be spammed again. =)

Thouse that quit or take a break (most people) are cause Of other issues then the patch is being halted.. Belive me
    RK1 - Hajk - Solitus - Lvl 217/DR 16 - Nanotech - Apocalypse
    ---
    Explorer 60% / Socializer 53% / Killer 46% / Achiever 40%

Well, I'll probably always have some amount of faith in both Anarchy Online and Funcom, so no matter how badly the game or the company are perceived, I'm sure I'll continue to play.

In my eyes, 14.5 is going to be a make it or break it patch for Funcom because it will indicate how they have used the last couple of months. If the patch goes live and we get dozens of quests (that actually work), tons of interesting camps (that give a viable alternative to missions), and lots of new goodies (that are not overpowered or clones of existing items), I think AO will be on the road to bright future. If they fumble this one, well, I don't think it bodes well for the playerbase or Funcom as a going concern.
    Gogo "Atremis" Yubari
    220 MA - RK1
    Tranq

There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I only check the boards a couple times a day, and there's plenty of new posts. You're just a forum junkie.

Originally posted by Shubalubdub
    I only check the boards a couple times a day, and there's plenty of new posts. You're just a forum junkie.
    Says the guy with over 1000 posts =p
    Gogo "Atremis" Yubari
    220 MA - RK1
    Tranq