Thread: Permadeath. Now wouldn't that suck.

Permadeath. Now wouldn't that suck.

Now PvP is a must for MMORPGs it should be a fact of life. We have a rebel faction and a monster company fighting for the same planet. That's just begging for terrorist attacks and massive marches of soldiers. PvP should happen a lot more regularly.

The sad part is that the Player killing I've seen in most Online games has been random and pointless. This is disappointing to see or hear, mostly because it's wasteful and frustrating. (This post is a generalization but is not directed at everyone, so please do not take offense if you do not do this.) Of course I may be crazy, and in that case i'm willing to live with that.

Big question is this; How many of you would ever participate in PvP if it meant risking permanent death for a character, yours or otherwise? (Yeah it's harsh, but it's just a hypothetical)

Inquiring minds want to know.
    -Wyldhawk
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

You know, everyone is free to play Permadeath, if they would like to. Simply reroll after each death. I don't know about you, but I know of not a single person that does that.

I played a ladder ranked Diablo 2 "Hardcore" Sorceress queen up to 77th level before Blizzard nerfed Cold using sorceresses into oblivion (a nerf they said was not needed for balance, but to reduce the frame lag on lower end computers...pretty lame). This is pre x-pack D2.

Hardcore = Permanent death both in PvM or PvP. Blizzard even made a special disclaimer warning players that death for any reason (bugs, lag, exploiting by others) would not be compensated. Still we played. But, you'd never run around fighting everyone in sight, you really needed to pick and choose your opponents as well as your locations.

After 1 year of playing, I only had a 77th level sorc, 60th level necro, 50th level zon, 30th level paladin while my "care bear" friends had like 4-6 99th level characters. lol

Why would anyone play with a perma-death character? Because it was much more exciting than care bear Diablo 2. It comes down to how do you really view your play time? As a way to have fun? Or as an investment in some "fixed" asset?

I'd hesitate to play a perma-death character though unless some "twitch" skill was involved with combat. The turn-based style of AO isn't the ideal environment for perma-death, but if there was a perma-death AO server, you'd probably find me on it.

It helped also that the 5 classes in D2 were more or less balanced with each other.
    Last edited by Psiraven; Sep 14th, 2002 at 20:15:08.
    MP's should be FEARED.

Yea but Psi when u started gettin killed you could hit esc-exit and youre safe...Can't do that here Also it's much easier to lvl a char in D2 than here.
    Yagyu for life

u can lvl 80 lvls in 12 houers in Diablo 2 (team high lvls and cow lvl like hell).. try that in AO, but we need somthing to fight for in AO. let me attack omni-1 and do terorist things.
    w00p w00p!!

shes talking pre d2 exp, before that there were no bloodruns or super power lvling. It acatually MEANT something to have a 77 HC char

Besides to point in this thread though; I would try a HC char in AO too, more fun and makes you think twice to try that mob at low hp or run... run!!!

Vhir / 215 Doctor
    Nynke / 205 Agent
    Letah / 200 Doctor
    Firerose / 200 Soldier

Yeah I'm back, no need to ask your ebay-check questions

Originally posted by Letah
    shes talking pre d2 exp, before that there were no bloodruns or super power lvling. It acatually MEANT something to have a 77 HC char

Besides to point in this thread though; I would try a HC char in AO too, more fun and makes you think twice to try that mob at low hp or run... run!!!
    actully cow lvl were in d2... =p And i know what hes talking about =) 2 weeks for the first lvl 99 barberian =p Solo my Necro took almost a month just got to 66 but he was really my main.. then i started up a hc char and took him to 81 before the bastard died. but the hc char went faster.. and well.. It was safer then choosing a sorc and dying on the ep2 boss hehe

oh just rambling sorry
    RK1 - Hajk - Solitus - Lvl 217/DR 16 - Nanotech - Apocalypse
    ---
    Explorer 60% / Socializer 53% / Killer 46% / Achiever 40%

people can stand face to face for hours and duck in and out of pvp zones and never fire a single shot. why? because they are too scared to lose their sacred title.

if they were set to lose not only their title but their entire character i dont see a single battle ever taking place.
    Dictator

Originally posted by Ghandi
    people can stand face to face for hours and duck in and out of pvp zones and never fire a single shot. why? because they are too scared to lose their sacred title.

if they were set to lose not only their title but their entire character i dont see a single battle ever taking place.

sad but true
    w00p w00p!!

Yah was funny to team pk ladder HC characters on the wp
    too bad so many people keep calling you names when u did it :P
    Infamine 200 soljah