Thread: The Assignment

The Assignment

((My first shot at this sort of thing... I think it's pretty good, let me know ))

The Assignment

"Economic power is exercised by means of a positive, by offering men a reward, an incentive, a payment, a value; political power is exercised by means of a negative, by the threat of punishment, injury, imprisonment, destruction. The businessman's tool is values; the bureaucrat's tool is fear." - Ayn Rand

To lead, to influence, to wield power -- Every fresh young functionary, mind a light with grand ideals and ethics not yet dimmed by the darkness of the system, seeks to battle corruption, to banish hate, and to help lead the world to greatness with the textbook tactics still in the forefront of their consciousness. As time goes by however, as friends fall, as the tides of life rides waves of rising disappointment, the fight against corruption oftens turns inward.

These thoughts play gently against my reasoning, like the violin in the ancient 'Ave Maria', calm, yet distinct, and with a touch of sadness. Perching on the cool marble steps of Omni-Admin, watching the sunlight fade into stars, often inspires reflection, at least in me. Omni Headquarters, with its strong towers and and agrrogant winking guards, is and always has been, my sanctuary. Where, in rethoric, changes, alliances and enmitys are made, lost, and found. Where the strength of a quietly spoken word can echo through an auditorium more powerfully then the battle axe or portion of construction equipment swung into the chest of a rebel factionist.

"Excuse me Minister, your transport is ready for lift off. I shall report to you at the your final destination." recites my gentle companion. Intelligent and brave, my quiet Cavalry, has been with me nearly as long as my soul has memory. Glancing at his visor, a light bright enough to read by in the darkest corriders, I contemplate how useful a creature he has been. My bodyguard, by title, my companion and secretary by appropriation. Smiling at a nearby guard, I board the Yalmaha, recently polished and gleaming under the glowing lights.

Cursing my inherent lack of map navigation skill, sense of direction, and auto pilot feature on my vehicle, I pause consider the updated global positioning system in the transports HUD.
    "When all else fails...", muttering nearly inaudibly to the array of tachometers monitoring coordinates. Decyphering a need to go generally West, I narrowly dodge a pedestrian and small chunk of street light, and warp into the bustling Omni Trade.

In the geometrical symmetry of the architecture within the steep walls, the towering statues bearing sleek archways on their backs, the constant flow of chattering people, Omni Trade is obviously a working city, relatively free of the elegant envrionmental ornaments like those found in the stately parks of Rome or Headquarters, yet in its steadfast construction it is a mircoism of corporate organization and effiecency.

Disembarking and hopping gracefully over a small ground washer bot, I tuck a strand of hair behind an ear carelessly as I step into Miiir, my favorite shop, to view the newest creations by the infamous designer while having the sleeves on a new suit shortened. My Cavalry waits in the foyer, as he and the shop attendent have had disputes in the past over prices and the quality of fabrics. While considering a dark navy outfit, my personal communicator blinks, and scrolling -- "Please meet me at the statue, we have recieved an urgent data receptecle from Headquarters." - Colonel Destiny "Gunmetal" Croteau [ED ULW]. Not finding it unusual to be called on so, I wandered towards the east corner of the trade center statue platform. Lost in a moment of revelry, I recalled another soldier I knew once. A bureaucrat is skilled, naturally in the art of conversation, debate, and appearing charasmatic before crowds, however, in a world such as this, where it is necessary to take to fighting, true strength is in the alliances you make. Sometimes, when you're lucky, allies become friends. "Death before dishonor" he told me once, and he lived by it...

"Oh my god, Aly's here! Call Omni Inquirer" Gunmetal shouts, winking and uplinking me to a team channel. My tendency to day dream has more then once cause tardiness, and is something that I should be more aware of.
    "What's this about an assignment?" I asked, an honest question, like the rest of the corportations employees, we usually receive missions from the standard assignment terminal. Serious for a moment she replied that we'd wait for the task force to assemble.

Recently reimplanted, my right hand throbs under the wieght of the shotgun. I, like most, am heavily augmented with biologically engineered implantations designed to heighten natural abilities and innate defenses.
    [Team]Blindog: whoa am i late? Aly's here
    [Team]Gunmetal: its the stims
    [Team]Alysanda: yeah :/
    [Team]Gunmetal: lol
    [Team]Blindog: haha
    Blindog stretches restlessly on the platform corner, I join her while we watch Gunmetal clean random particles from the barrel of her Heavy Gamma-Beamer. Slight in build and profession, hand to hand combat is something I personally avoid, preferring to let Cavalry deal with potentially dangerous close ranged situations. Cradling my firearm, I intently pull the straps on my kevlar vest more tightly around me.
    [Team]Wahnsinn: hi
    [Team]Dennie: hey ladies
    [Team]Blindog:
    [Team]Gunmetal: D wahny
    [Team]Alysanda:
    [Team]Alysanda: Where's the great Omni love machine?
    [Team]Gunmetal: Cavalry?
    "Bugoluv actually" I reply. The smooth talking nano mage, known for his mastery of nano technology and subtle wit, was often seen loitering in Omni Entertainments illustrious red light district, smiling at the breathless female denizens of the area as they walked between night clubs. A ladies man, a bit of a charmer, but inherently good natured and a true professional in combat.
    "I'll update him later. Prepare for the briefing." Gunmetal reviews the time sensitive data container and uploads it to the team's shared information display. Scanned it read:

Description:
    "In times of desperation, we the administrative branch of the Omni Tek corporation have always looked to our skilled employees for assistance in maintaining order as well as for the assurance of secure continued profit. This however, is not your usual assignment. Knowledge and intelligence regarding Omni Tek technology and internal operations is, as you know, guarded jealously. Though denied publically, standard security procedures in the OTweaponary research and development department have come under question as of late due to the unexplained disappearance of a prototype shock sensitive key detonator codenamed Project X3490. This modified version of the key detanators used to make small personal firearm ammunition is highly reactive and extremly sensitive to sudden movement or jarring. It will most likey be contained in an unreactive metal container filled with chemically stablelized notum. We ask that you not only return the device to the corporation safely, but attempt to capture the person(s) responsible for this breech in security. We have reasons to believe that the assailent(s) have contacts within the department, however we lack the evidence needed to procede with the investagation of current suspects, namely Mel "Einheit" Boothby [Techno-Mage Nano-Technician Alignment: Omni] a former research director of project X3490. It is suggested that you question him thoroughy. Last known residence Apt. 54 Highrise 1 Omni 1 Entertainment.
    Keep this quiet. Good luck. - Dr. G.R. Doressau."

"I guess they think it's Einheit." Dennie stated, green eyes flashing. Considering her a moment, she and Bugoluv were both Nano Technicians by proffession and both very much loved their work, but thats where the similarities ended. He the self proclaimed warrior poet, she the flash fire heroine. Dennie has no tolerance of ignorance or stupidity, and will not hesitate to unleash scathing critcism on those who choose to be content in their inadequacies. I like her.

"Guess so." I said despite myself. Quickly recalling the scholarly technician, he always struck me as an eccentric type. Einheit was well known for his research in chemical weaponary. Private by nature, he reluctantly represented his department in the administrative council that influences the directors of the OT co. on Rubika. If the rumors about Omni Admin shifting funds away from defense research projects in favor of the upgrading of Omni outposts and cities were true... his knowledge made him dangerous and I could see, personal feelings aside, why he needed to be questioned.

"Blindog and Dennie can check out the apartment, Aly and Wahn head back to Headquarters and compile all potentially relative data on our suspect." Gunmetal delegated, "I'll wait here for Bug.
    [Team]Blindog: k
    Sleek golden haired Wahnsinn, a friend and agile, sharp witted economist. Discussing politics and the rising cost of nano formulas due to the recent conterfeit scandel, we stopped briefly at the serenading food provider kiosk for a drink before heading to the Department of Public Records in Omni Headquarters.
    "Nice to see you again Ternak, I'll need a profile of these three individuals right away." I ask meeting his gaze steadily, while handing him a list of names -- Einheit, and two other random employees.

"Sure Aly, give me a moment" came the distracted reply. High piles of folders and aqusition status reports cluttered the desk next to a holographic panel monitoring the live trades between employees of the Omni Tek corporation. The Department of Public Records was located in a large under funded office building east of Omni Admin. While the reception area was tastefully decorated, I imagined the control centers to be, if they were anything like the expansive libraries in the floors above, a freezing cold white walled room with dated access terminals and uncomfortable accomidations. Appearing in the entry way, information discs in hand, Ternak smiled and passed them to Wahn while I signed the release forms.
    [Team]Bugoluv: Ladies
    [Team]Dennie: 'bout time
    [Team]Blindog: No supscious packages found at the residence, or much of anything for that matter. No clothing or personal items were to be found. Just nice paintings and some stereo equipment.
    [Team] Alysanda: Wahny and I just got the files, we'll catch up to you later?
    [Team]Gunmetal: Yeah let's call this for now, start fresh tomorrow morning.
    [Team]Alysanda: Night guys.
    "I'm going to go look these over, if you want to come Wahny, your welcome." Glancing over I hoped she wasn't busy. Its nice to have another mind to bounce things off of.
    "Can't Aly, I need to finish up a trade in town. Maybe tomorrow?"
    "Sure Wahn, see you" I said trying not to sound disappointed. I tend to brood when I'm alone, and the friendly chatter would have been nice.
    "Night Aly:" Wahny said smiling, I nodded, waved good bye and put the thoughts regarding the assignment out of my head for the evening.
    "til tomorrow then..." muttering under my breath. Cavalry blinks and begins his warp back to the home office. I get in my car and fly home in silence
    Last edited by Alysanda; Oct 8th, 2002 at 10:27:46.
    Alysanda
    Lvl 215 Rubika 1 Omni Bureaucrat

Retroaction
    Lvl 176 Rubika 1 Omni Soldier
    Recourse
    Lvl 100ish Rubika 1 Omni Doctor
    Anarchist of TEEN GIRL SQUAD!

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard

The Interlude

A clever mind conceals its darkest thoughts as easily as a black hooded coat obscures the identity of one in the night. Silent, watchul, both deceptions go unnoted under swaying merchant tents.
    Alysanda

Retroaction
    Recourse

Day Two - ((Untitled/In progress))

"Good morning Rubi Ka! This is MC Riskfactor bringing you the latest headlines lines from the top of Entertainment Tower one..."
    "mmmm" I growl in the direction of the transmitter from under thick covers, cuddling further into the blankets, trying to grasp the remnants of a dream.
    "...these messages brought to you by KOULW 102.7 OT network broadcasting news, hits, and headlines at 15 million notum watts. If we don't play it, its been banned.."
    "grrr" tossing the alarm into a pile of clothing at the foot of the bed, I stumble blearly to the vanity table and begin brushing my hair. An empty crystal wine glass set carelessly down on leather bound volumes of classical literature projects a burst of color around the room as it catches the sunlight. I watch my artificially intelligent holographic Kitty Cat simulator 5500 bat playfully at the random prismatic points. Amusing isn't it? I think to myself, one play of light entertaining oneself on another.
    The soft, warm sheets beckon to me across the cold tile, a tempetation that was quelled only by the urgent blinking of my personal communicator.
    "Aly, its Gunny, meet us up in the dining globe at 10:00 am, the group will do the brunch thing and then we'll get down to business." Gunmetal 9:32 am Wednesday, August 10
    "Aly, its Gun again, just making sure you know where the place is... sorta by bank." Gunmetal 9:35 am Wednesday, August 10
    "Aly, this is Gunmetal, just so you know, we're starting at the normal time, its not like a half day or anything. Just letting you know. See you soon! Gunmetal 10:04 am Wednesday, August 10
    Late again, as usual. Cursing I quickly pull on an Intern-op over coat, grab my sunglasses off the kitchen counter and lock my apartment door. Fortunately the Highrise is connected directly to the Trade disctrict, and I arrive uncerimoniously at the dining globe, just a little over ten minutes tardy. Just enough time though, for everyone to be there already.
    "mmm ...pie" Mutters Bugoluv over a piece of cherry pie smothered in vanilla ice cream. Pie and women, the weaknesses of men are often so simple. I fancy vintage red wine and a good booksmyself, but that perhaps is another story.
    "Morning guys" I greet everyone cheerfully, coworkers they maybe, but friends first, and hopefully my eagerness while present would make up for the ten minutes I kept them waiting.
    "Hiya Aly, we were going to wait for you, but Bugo was hungry and ordered already." commented Blindog, " really can't argue with a force of nature such as a the hunger of a growing nano mage."
    "If he grows anymore, he'll develop gravity, and we'll al be sucked in to our demise." added Dennie, seated next to Gunmetal sipping coffee.
    Laughing I order a cup of tea, while the group talks of everything except the true reason of why we are here. Einheit, and his supposed involvement our assignment.
    "Oh is that so champ?" Challenges a voice in the street. "I'd like to see you try"
    "What are you trying to say?" the guard attending inquires.
    "What was that?" said the voice, "Who are you?"
    "I am a guard for Omni-Tek" replied the guard.
    "That man refuses to sell me pants, I'm challenging him to a duel, unless you'd like to take his place, I'd suggest you stay out of it."
    "I don't know..." says the guard.
    "Sounds like a fights going on down there, I'm going to check it out." Blindog says as she dashes gracefully from her seat and hops over the railing and off the dining globe to the street below. As sweet and civilized as Blindog can be, her pechant for action often put her in the chaotic heart of dangerous situations. Which as a fixer, she thoroughly enjoyed.
    Alysanda

Retroaction
    Recourse