Thread: Concerning Population...

Concerning Population...

I was just surfing on some anarchy lore forums and i found one thread discussing the population of AO. I'm on RK 2 and had never really thought about the fact that RK 1 had more people. I read that on RK 1 you rarely had trouble finding groups. I have alot of trouble finding groups, this could just be because I'm a pretty low level but I still wish RK 2 was more populated. I'm afraid that newcomers to the game might automatically choose RK-1 because well...I dunno why but i think more people might pick 1 than 2. The name change of the servers will change this a little but I'm not sure it will entirely compensate for it. Is there anything FC can do to even out the servers?

If there is any false information on this just tell me and opinions are always welcome.

Thanks for reading
    -Cozzio
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind
    -Jack Handey

My memory is kinda fuzzy on this, but if I recall correctly Funcom used to recommend that people start on Rubi 2. As a result, I think that's were I made my first char: a very confused nanomage MP, btw, who died almost immediately because he couldn't figure out how to get his pet to do anything but coo in his ear.

Anyway, embarassing personal history aside, many people I've talked to feel that Rubi 1 and Rubi 2 have different personalities. Rubi 1 is considered to be more social, and more role playing takes place there. Rubi 2, on the other hand, has a reputation for power levelers, and intense game players. One reason given is that Rubi 2 has less lag.

I have chars on both servers, and while I can't say I've noticed a big difference in lag, Rubi 2 certainly has less people. On Rubi 2 there is a noticable reduction in the volume on the selling channels, and the number of people who are around to team.

The population on Rubi 1 makes a big difference, and all my main chars are there. As a result, I'd certainly recommend that newbies start on Rubi 1. Also, I think it be a problem if Funcom started to take an active hand in 'balancing' the server populations, because of the different personalities the two servers have. It perhaps would even out over time, but initially it be a significant culture shock to find yourself on Rubi 2 one day, when you expect to be on Rubi 1. Or vice versa.

pfft

I didn't know RK-1 roleplayed at all, that makes it worse. I love roleplaying in other games but have not yet seen anyone RPing in AO =(
    -Cozzio

Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind
    -Jack Handey

One of the best ways to get into the AO roleplaying scene is to join a roleplaying guild. Division 9 RSGE is one such guild on Rubi 1. (http://division9.rsge.net.

Another roleplaying scene centers around the clubs.

Would be nice if we could see live #s like DAoC has. DAoC has a ton of players it looks like from their #s.

RATFE is another Roleplaying Guild. Saw them patroling around, looks like they are cool. Never seen a Guild patrole like they did, stand in line and salute there leader...was cool to see.

I can't find a guild profile thing for RATFE, do you know how i would find it and if it is on RK-1 or 2? I actually really like my current guild but would like more with some roleplaying.
    -Cozzio

-Jack Handey

The big difference between RK1/2 is that RK1 still has alot of people from beta (and I mean ALOT) Most got situated in guilds long before RK2 existed. RK2 is newer players and younger players mostly. Allthough I do know quite a few older players on RK2. Hehe sadly the economy is also screwed up on RK1 due to a huge influx of creds from that bank exploit (grr).

The reason there are more RP guilds on RK1 is well those are the people who have stuck through the worst of what funcomm can fling (the first ungodly week, 12.6 patch, etc) and are camped there for a while. Some have become famous, some jsut like to be incognito, Some just don't want to redecorate thier apartments.

About all there is is that RK1 has an older crowd both agewise and gametime wise. If you join an older guild chances are someone wills tart remembering back to the good old days and the night will be lost :P (Oooh remember back when we attacked the blaster beetle at lvl 25?! Doh oh yeah hehe we died 15 times. Remember when I was running around wearing a barrel? Heheheh)

Yup thats about it, there are alot of power gamers on RK1, some of the same from RK2 actually. Storm if ya know em is a severe powergaming guild.
    Bill "Rudeboyz" Clinton Nobel Prize Winning Engineer, Crusader for Duct Tape and Reclaim Inspector General of Rubi-Ka Gear

Freshman Bob "Spookyrudy" Dole Buff Dispenser, Sexy Atrox, Master of The Atrox Monkey Love Arts

Unhappy

On RK-2 I have actually met a lot of people from Beta. Maybe it is just a "grass is greener on the otherside" thing but RK-1 seems better. They have more RPing, more people, easier to find group, seem to have more articles about RK-1 meaning maybe more storyline. I would rather RK-2 be the same. Obviously FC can't make people join 1 server (because they might have friends etc.). Does anyone have any ideas on how RK-2 could get more people? Hopefully we will see more people once NW comes out but this could make population even more uneven.

btw, are there more lvl 200's on RK-1? my time paying i have only seen 5 of them.
    -Cozzio

-Jack Handey

Does anyone have any ideas on how RK-2 could get more people? Hopefully we will see more people once NW comes out but this could make population even more uneven
    I always though transferable chars would be nie. But unfortunately somone on RK2 though it would be funny to impersonate RK1 people. Stole 3 of my names and he must die.
    Bill "Rudeboyz" Clinton Nobel Prize Winning Engineer, Crusader for Duct Tape and Reclaim Inspector General of Rubi-Ka Gear

Freshman Bob "Spookyrudy" Dole Buff Dispenser, Sexy Atrox, Master of The Atrox Monkey Love Arts

lol, ya though, transferable chars would be nice...but someone would figure out some exploit or mess up the different economies somehow..I dunno there would be something wrong with it. If this wre allowed FC would probably charge 50 bucks for it like they did in EQ.
    -Cozzio

-Jack Handey