Thread: A new way to travel: Waldram's Stutter Warp

A new way to travel: Waldram's Stutter Warp

Hey Engies!

On the "Next Patch" forum I got into an argument whether or not all profs should have remote grid access. At first I was for it, because I didn't see the big deal, it's just a travel accessory right?

The Fixers didn't see it that way of course, and one them, Lilnymph, actually managed to change my mind, with the argument that asking for exactly what others have is un-original and copy-cattish behaviour.

So I took up the challenge, and I think I managed to come up with a new way for Engies to get around, and I posted it in the "Suggestions" forum, under the same title as this thread.

I made it Engie because as an Advie I don't really have travel issues, and although Engies have Beacon Warp, that is of course only good for OTHER people to get around.

Check it out, and see if you like it.
    Reverend Revelator Ramagano, Proud Something of Alpha Omega

Alpha Omega: Fighting For Your Future, Today

No, I'm not back.

How embarrassing, after all these years it turns out I CAN'T spell **ncom with an F and a U, talk about egg on my face eh?

this is something new, a nice idea... giving you the link to the suggestion
    Krabbus - Engineer in game and outside. Both working their ass off for almost 4 years...

This account was cancelled at:
    2004-09-18 01:57:53
    It will remain playable until : 2004-??-?? ??:??:??
    Reason: this game is turning more and more into a work... call it my second work if you'd like.

Too late...

Constrained Gridspace Waveform

Name: Constrained Gridspace Waveform
    QL: 1
    Patch: 14.78
    Description: Right clicking on this item will transport you into the Grid.
    [NoDrop] [Unique] [Special]

OnUse:
    LockSkill Wearer ComputerLiteracy for 14400s
    TeleportProxy Wearer 51102 152 0 0 (the Grid)

-Jayde

Odd item... locks comp lit for four hours?

Nice emergency item though. If you've ever had a mission where something nasty was guarding the entrance, you'll know that it's often a lot easier to get in than out. It'd definitely be useful for things like that, but you're not likely to be using it at the end of every mission with a skill lock like that on it. Not exactly a low level item either, looking at the reqs.

EDIT: I actually like the nano idea, although I have no idea whether it would work in practice. Good work though.

Cheers,

~R~
    Last edited by Soyuz; Jan 12th, 2003 at 02:45:48.

wouldnt it be great if that item were tradeskill? would be a great item to sell to professions that dont have grid evac nanos.
    Java Corp - Researching and developing Rubi-Ka's finest stimilants.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."

I got an Idea

I read the stutter warp idea and thought that it was OK but there are other things that engis need more.
    ---------

It's late at night and my mind wanders and some time doesn't come back right away, and it found this gem out in the eather....

I was thinking of what Revelator said in the post about getting new travel but not stepping on the fixers toes and I thought of what an enginer's "fixer's grid" would be like. A SPACE STATION!

A space station that the only way on is the Eng only nano. It would have a trade Dept. and bank terminal in side it. and the whole place would give an area buff to all trade skills. The way off would be one of three Whoopa gates (exit only, no Whoopa-ing in) that drop you in either Tir, Borialis, or Omni-Trade.

It's not the fixer's grid. The fixer's grid is for travel. It can get you from most anywhere to most anywhere else. The engi station is for trade skills. Sure, you can use it for travel, but only if you're going to one of the big cities.

Secondly, it gives us the damn trade skill buffs we want over the traders. It might not help with placing towers, but anything else it would help. It would also give us a good place to rub elbows with other enginers. Share secrets etc.

Third, It's something we know Funcom can implement. They've added new dungons and the fixer's grid via patches, this is no different. And the patch that came just before Notum Wars gave us area, hell GLOBAL, buffs from the towers.

It could look a bit like the new character builder that came out before NW. All shiny and off-white, cool expancive windows that look down on Rubi-Ka and out into space. Ships going by...

WHat do you think of that? Am I too sleep deprived or am I genieus? (there is no inbetween)

I got nothing for PvP. Sorry but I think we're F_cked there
    Last edited by OneChrisN; Jan 13th, 2003 at 14:11:41.
    ===============================
    I like this game `cause my Avatar kinda looks like me....

Re: I got an Idea

Originally posted by OneChrisN

I was thinking of what Revelator said in the post about getting new travel but not stepping on the fixers toes and I thought of what an enginer's "fixer's grid" would be like. A SPACE STATION!

A space station that the only way on is the Eng only nano. It would have a trade Dept. and bank terminal in side it. and the whole place would give an area buff to all trade skills. The way off would be one of three Whoopa gates (exit only, no Whoopa-ing in) that drop you in either Tir, Borialis, or Omni-Trade.

It's not the fixer's grid. The fixer's grid is for travel. It can get you from most anywhere to most anywhere else. The engi station is for trade skills. Sure, you can use it for travel, but only if you're going to one of the big cities.
    Groovy idea! And yes, as long as it's for tradeskills, and not for travelling, I don't think anyone can object either.

In fact, I'd expect people to applaud this, seeing as people do seem to need tradeskills a lot, they just don't seem willing to put the IP into it themselves, myself included.

Oh, and you DID get something for PvP, namely the Sloughing Fields. I'll freely admit that it's not MUCH (in maths it's called a non-zero number), but it IS something. So you should at least be 1% fixed now, only 99% more to go!
    Reverend Revelator Ramagano, Proud Something of Alpha Omega

Alpha Omega: Fighting For Your Future, Today

No, I'm not back.

How embarrassing, after all these years it turns out I CAN'T spell **ncom with an F and a U, talk about egg on my face eh?

Re: I got an Idea

Originally posted by OneChrisN

hehe, really, that would be really cool A really high-tech station where engineers could gather and share ideas, one in each of the main cities (Entertainment, Borealis and Tir)

When you enter the building would engineers get a tradeskill aura that doesn't stack with traders buffline (but equal to them) and scale with your level (+125 at level 200).

This would solve many of the problems we have today, and really, what a nice place for people to search for people doing tradeskills!!! If this ever happens I would be one of the happiest engineers at Rubi-Ka

edit: I want it to be a static building, not a nano you summon yourself into... this way can people hang out at these spots and look for some skilled persons to do their work
    Last edited by Krabbus; Jan 13th, 2003 at 15:10:19.
    Krabbus - Engineer in game and outside. Both working their ass off for almost 4 years...

This account was cancelled at:
    2004-09-18 01:57:53
    It will remain playable until : 2004-??-?? ??:??:??
    Reason: this game is turning more and more into a work... call it my second work if you'd like.

Neat idea

The station though would have to provide something that the over abundant other trade shops do not have, such as more nano clusters per type instead of 2. I dont know if price could be incentive alone due to current economics.

I think we could ditch the lounge, Most of the engies out there are more interested in toys than romance. And appart from chestity, there doesn't seem to be any female engies out there worth looking at.

Thank goodness there is always boglwe

Ani.
    PLEASE, give use a simple YES or no answer as to whether or not the CoH chests can be opened

Well PFFT i didnt know i was THAT ugly.. and Jicas not bad!

Talking

I love this idea! A place for engi's to gather, with engi only shops and a lounge. Awesome. You could probably make some engi only teams to do missions fairly easily. This is great, genus I say. But it won't happen Nope FC will be too busy refixing pet pathing for the next year, but its a really good idea IMHO.

An engi only shop would rock hardcore. But what would be in it

Maybe a special order shop, where you choose what tradeskill item you want, then using a slider or something of the like choose the QL level of it. That would end the constant search for the right QL item to complete something. Maybe not a big thing, but meh, that's my two cents.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Even if your minds confused,
    then this is what you need to do,
    you need to get that mixed up feeling upside in from out of you" -Mr. Bones