Thread: Soloability of Shade

Soloability of Shade

Will this be in any way soloable? I know they have lack luster HP but could one solo with them? I know it would be high difficulty, but would it even be possible?

i solod by myself all throughout beta so i know it can be done just go slowly and carefully and make sure u buff and know how to use your perks*

What level did you reach in beta

into my 60s+ we had rings that gave a huge xp bonus i tried some of the other classes too

The shade class sounds like the sort of class I would like to play, but I don't care for team missions, I am a loner. I thought about the Keeper, but I don't really care for sowrds and being a defender. My preferred classes so far have been Ma and Fixer, I like to run into a room and just mess things up. I also like the dark aspect of the shade. Guess I will just have to try it and find out.

Aelynn of the Shadows
    Pain so close to pleasure...

Anything can be done with patience and good planning before a fight. I am planning to solo my way too, focusing only on my shade.

shameless plug aelynn? :P

we'll see for sure in about 3 more hours, but i wouldn't count on levelling solo for your whole career. hardly any class does that, and there are way better suited classes for it. consider the bureaucrat. with good enough charms and bots, he never has to go lfg. he just makes one. a better soloing machine was never made, even one wrapped in blue.

if you want to solo endlessly, this might not be the class for you.

unless you want to spend all your time on green mobs after a while....

For soloing, the challenge I found in Beta was health and ACs. If you can get optimal spirits and nice high Shade armor/tattoos with health and evade bonuses, that's good, but it will still be a real challenge to solo. You might want to look for the following

Defensive Spirits:
    Heart Spirit of Weakness: BodyDev, MeleeAc, MaxHealth
    Spirit of Defense(Legs): DodgeRng, EvadeCls, Duck, MeleeAc(+Poison, Egy), MaxHealth, HDelta
    Midriff Spirit of Weakness(Waist): BodyDev, MaxHealth, DodgeRng, EvadeCls, Duck, ACs (Imp/Proj, Melee, Egy, Cold, Fire, Chem, Rad), NanoCost
    [EDIT: NanoCostReduce removed in 15.0.4 from above]
    Spirit of Defense(Feet): Agi, DodgeRng, EvadeCls, Duck, DMS, HDelta
    Left Limb Spirit of Weakness(LeftArm): DMS, HDelta, AC(Chem,Rad)
    Right Limb Spirit of Weakness: DMS, AC (Rad), Riposte, Parry, PhysInit

There are many more spirits and items that will help you solo of course. Anything that raises agi, sen for getting into better Spirits, gear. Spirits that raise Piercing to get you into better weapons, Spirits that raise Nanoskills to get you into better buffs, Parry-based melee shields, Riposte-based Deflection shields, rings, Ring of luck - Defensive, etc.

-- Munkee
    Last edited by Munkeezon; Sep 10th, 2003 at 21:51:37.
    Active chars:
    My Shade MunkeeShrike - Named for a Bird with the habit of catching other birds and small animals and impaling the uneaten portions of their bodies on thorns - of the Huge, Inc. family.
    Munkeezon - of The Dojo
    Munkeezon & Alts on Testlive - of The Bratpack

Fellow Shade? Creep over to us in the Shadows

If you want to gear your shade for solo, you can do it quite well by training the right perks and putting in the right types of spirits.

In beta i could solo fairly well. Not as good as some classes, but i could definatly do it, and i wasn't even partially geared for it.
    Aelynn of the Shadows
    Pain so close to pleasure...

I may look into bureaucrat. I can easily say I solo all the time now because I play VERY slow. Over one year and neither of my characters have passed level 50. I play very deliberately and methodically. I guess my fear is that I like to play very hand to hand with my damage and I thought the shade sounded more nano/mystical oriented. I did not see that wonderful guide, I will check it out and figure out what I like once I try it.

Yohoho... time to change nick.
    Last edited by Gogliostro; Sep 10th, 2003 at 00:53:25.

Soloing or "partnering" the Shade I'm making....
    I am, like Keelan, putting all my others to one side (and they are plentyful - been playing since release), to completely focus on my new Shade.

Everything is possible, if done slowly.
    I soloed my Fixer at a time when everybody and his dog screamed that it would be impossible to do so. The only character I never played alone was my Doc, but she was a pure healer after the first 60 levels...a shotgun Doc simply isn't something I can identify with...

Anyhow, have fun with what you're doing, that's still the main thing. Trying and experimenting will get you there eventually.

*hugs*

*goes back to waiting for her box*

Originally posted by Munkeezon
    For soloing, the challenge I found in Beta was health and ACs. If you can get optimal spirits and nice high Shade armor/tattoos with health and evade bonuses, that's good, but it will still be a real challenge to solo. You might want to look for the following

Defensive Spirits:
    Heart Spirit of Weakness: BodyDev, MeleeAc, MaxHealth
    Spirit of Defense(Legs): DodgeRng, EvadeCls, Duck, MeleeAc(+Poison, Egy), MaxHealth, HDelta
    Midriff Spirit of Weakness(Waist): BodyDev, MaxHealth, DodgeRng, EvadeCls, Duck, ACs (Imp/Proj, Melee, Egy, Cold, Fire, Chem, Rad), NanoCost
    [EDIT: NanoCostReduce removed in 15.0.4 from above]
    Spirit of Defense(Feet): Agi, DodgeRng, EvadeCls, Duck, DMS, HDelta
    Left Limb Spirit of Weakness(LeftArm): DMS, HDelta, AC(Chem,Rad)
    Right Limb Spirit of Weakness: DMS, AC (Rad), Riposte, Parry, PhysInit

There are many more spirits and items that will help you solo of course. Anything that raises agi, sen for getting into better Spirits, gear. Spirits that raise Piercing to get you into better weapons, Spirits that raise Nanoskills to get you into better buffs, Parry-based melee shields, Riposte-based Deflection shields, rings, Ring of luck - Defensive, etc.

-- Munkee
    Here's a chart I created of Defensive Spirits and their effects (available from public DB):

QL 150 Spirit Defensive Set

Spirits do quite well, considering that's 6 Spirits vs 9 Imps. This is with a rough Nanonanny shot at it. One could probably tweak the clusters forever, but the point is with triple MaxHP spirits vs triple MaxHP clusters, Spirits are competative if you take the time to hunt down the right Spirits. And this doesn't count perks, armor etc.

The message here is:
    No Imps != Gimps

-- Munkee
    Active chars:
    My Shade MunkeeShrike - Named for a Bird with the habit of catching other birds and small animals and impaling the uneaten portions of their bodies on thorns - of the Huge, Inc. family.
    Munkeezon - of The Dojo
    Munkeezon & Alts on Testlive - of The Bratpack

Fellow Shade? Creep over to us in the Shadows