Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: MP for Beginners Tutorial

...have to do it.

I suggest reading the beginners thread.... doh! Here we are!

X has a great list of links to which all your questions can be answered. It has been said many times that at low levels an MP should not worry too much about a weapon - your PET is your weapon. If you want to go the weapon route, 1hb is your best option and use Creation Weapons which give nice stat boosts and most use 1hb. I also suggest you get familiar with www.auno.org Use it. Learn it. Live it.

As for Biomech - that too has been answered. However, I will reiterate that armor is NOT profession specific. Meaning, that one armor is not better for a profession than another, but rather armor is more BREED dependant. Biomech is a gret armor. However, it has Stamina and Psychic reqs. Meaning, that though stamina is easy to buff, it is a dark blue skill for Opifex and you will find that you will not be able to get into better ql armor than if you went with armor that uses your green skills (agility and sense). Would also like to mention that Biomech starts at ql75, you have a while to worry about it anyway.
    Sena "Mardanne" Neblett - Member of The Pilgrims

Just figured we should link a little MP history here.
    Black Sunday, the concept: Black Sunday. Read This.
    The plan: Black Sunday - The show WILL go on. Important Details!!!
    Post event reflection: Most Telling and Most Touching Moments of the Black Sunday March, Black sunday - OMG that was incredible!
    pics: Black Sunday Screens..., and more

/me looks left
    /me looks right
    /me slips in a link to The MP Song while people are distracted by the Black Sunday threads
    /w you didn't see that
    Heals - they're not just for tradeskills anymore
    Hypos omni doc RK2 <-- stupid enough to have thought that going past level 150 would help her be a better doc
    Phlair omni mp RK2 solo char
    Nerfbat omni enf RK2 awarded the hammer of braveness
    Shadow Ops

Controlling Pets

This subject was missed in the original version of the guide and comes up regularly in the boards. I'd like to thank High Orbit from the Engineer forum, whose basic guide provided some of the text here, enabling me to complete this section of the guide more quickly.

Controlling the Pets

Pets are controlled through the command line (ie hit enter, type in the command). But don't panic there are ways to make this much easier!

Macros
    • You can either have the game help you with this or do them yourself. The command "/macro" creates a little icon for your to place on your shortcut bar (press "Y" if you can't see that). Which then allows you to perform the command just by pressing a number from 1 - 0 depending on it's position on the bar.

You'll soon see what I mean after you've tried it if that didn't make sense.

If you want the game to help you simply type in "/help pet" and click on each of the links to create the macro.

If you'd like to use your own then the following may be helpful:

/macro Attack /pet attack
      /macro Report /pet report
      /macro Wait /pet wait
      /macro Follow /pet follow
      /macro Behind /pet behind
      /macro Hunt /pet hunt
      /macro Rename /pet "<petname after casting>" rename "<intended name>"
      /macro Heal /pet heal

With regard to the command "/pet hunt" - Pet hunt uses an algorithm that chooses the next target by shortest line distance. This means it has a tendancy to choose targets in a fairly unpredictable fashion. That is it won't follow a logical room to room path if a mob in another room is closer even if it has to run through 4 rooms to get to the "closer" mob. Its highly recommended that you use this command with extreme caution.

Naming Pets
    • Just a quick couple of notes on pet names:
    • They must be at least 4 characters long.
    • If you have a space in the name you must inclose the name in "".
    • According to the terms you agree to play the game you cannot name the pet to the same name as an NPC character or static mob.

When using pet commands you can make them apply to a specific pet by naming the pet in the command. This section is important the moment you have to start controlling more than one pet.

Unless you name the pet correctly then you will receive some odd responses from the pets. If you use "/pet attack" when you have a heal pet, then the heal pet will tell you it cannot attack. If you use "/pet heal" when you have an attack pet or mez pet, then they will tell you that is beyond their ability.

Also, if you have an attack pet and a mez pet at the same time, they will both respond to the "/pet attack" command and usually you want the attack pet to attack one target and the mez pet to attack another target - so you'll have to give each pet a command by name in order to control them properly.

To rename a pet, either select the pet you wish to rename and type:

/pet rename "My pet Name Here"

Or take a look at the name above the pet after you cast it and use the following:

/pet "<name over head>" rename "<new name>"

Notice in particular the ""s at the beginning and end of the names. Pets with a single word as a name don't need these quotation marks included. Pets with spaces, colours or more than one word in their name may need to be put in quotation marks. As a rule, it's a good idea to just always use the ""s to be on the safe side.

So all pet commands you use take the form:

/pet "<pet name>" <command>

eg /pet "Mighty Meatball" Attack
      or /pet "Ralph the healer" Heal

These types of macro's work particularly well in conjunction with rename macros, otherwise the macro would have to be updated every time the pets name changed.

Finally, if you use colourful names then the command must reflect that or it won't work.

Scripts, Variables & Chat Commands
    • Scripts are text files that sit in a Scripts folder inside of the Anarchy Online program folder. Scripts do not require any extension (the last part of the file name, like .txt) and will usually work with and without. On the whole it's best to pick one naming convention for your scripts and stick to it.

Scripts can be added to the Shortcut bar, by using the same Macro technique:

/macro ButtonName /scriptfilename

These files are basically command lists and are fairly versatile.

The following script has no real purpose, but should provide enough of an example for script creation.

Filename: Attack

/s Eek! Look out there's a nasty %t!
      /pet chat "Fear not master I shall kill it for you!"
      /delay 5000
      /v Well go on then
      /pet chat "Could you move this pebble?"
      /pet "Mighty Meatball" attack
      /me sighs

This script would be called by entering the it as a command into AO (ie "/Attack") which would then run through the commands one at a time.

Variables are useful things that allow us to name things in chat or commands without typing the full name.

%t is replaced with the name of your target
      %m is replaced by your own name

One very usefull script command is /selectself. This command will make you the selected target. It's particularly useful for a common script:

/selectself
      /delay 150
      /pet "Healpet Name" heal

which will select you and tell the heal pet to heal you.

You'll have noticed the /delay command in the script above. Sometimes, if you have a particularly fast computer the scripts will miss a command in a script because it was 'typed in' too fast. By using /delay XXX where XXX is the desired delay time in milliseconds, you can get around this problem. On the whole though, you want to make your commands happen as fast as possible, so only use these /delays if you are having a problem with a script and experiment with it to find the lowest working /delay time to use.

In the index of this guide you will also find several links to postings where players have posted their favourite scripts. Also in the index are links to a couple of third party utilities that help you to include coloured text in your pet-names and scripts and utilities that will make scripts for you.

X
    Last edited by XtremTech; Sep 1st, 2003 at 10:29:07.
    Xtremtech: MetaPhysicist currently resident on Test. (209 + 21 AI Levels).

Various other test MPs of differing levels and builds available.

Updated AR and HP tables with the IS urn pets.

X

Updated Revenant details in attack pets and in HP/Nano tables

X

Updated the Mez pet section and added Notum Rejection which I'd missed somehow (d'oh). Also added the Pet Root/Snare breakers.

X

Also added Quantum Wings in the defensive nano section.

X

I"m think of making an MP, but why should I?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of being an MP?

Oh lord that's a big question and one that calls for a little too much judgement on my part I think. The MP just got a big fix (at last) and Shadolwnads just came out so we're all still working out what the effects olf those changes are. Also, the moment you ask about the advantages of one profession as against the others - you get into balance discussions which can run on and on and on...

If I were you I'd start up a new thread of your own to ask the question.

X

Hello all!

X:

I just wanted to say a big thank you to you for making this guide. I just read it through and it is the best guides I read till now about professions in AO.

THANK YOU

Lou

EFFECT OF THE SOOTHING SPIRITS PERK ON PETS HEALING CAPACITY

(cross-posted by request of Xtremtech)

EFFECT OF THE SOOTHING SPIRITS PERK ON PETS HEALING CAPACITY

The MP perk "Soothing Spirits" is very poorly explained in the in-game perks windows, although it is an essential perk for metaphysicists.

This perk has a double effect:

- A minor one on the MP himself: it increases life points by a very little amount, and nanopoints (NP by a little amount)

- A major effect on the HEALER pet who becomes able to heal more damage with each heal. (This effect is automatic on the pet.)

This perk line includes 10 perks, the first one being available at level 30, while the last one is available only at Shadowlands level 3. Unfortunately not all perks of this line improve the healing capabilities, and some perks are even pretty useless and should not be researched for themselves (more on that later).

In fact, once the MP has chosen a perk, the healer will cast a new, better, heal nano instead of his old one.

The new nanos have the same name as the original one, followed by a arbitrary number corresponding to the perk chosen (this number has no meaning in itself):
    720 for perk 1
    722 for perk 3
    724 for perk 5
    726 for perk 7
    728 for perk 9
    729 for perk 10

For example:
    "Belamorte's Blessing" is the normal nano Belamorte casts when healing
    "Belamorte's Blessing – 720" is the name of the nano Bela casts once perk 1 has been chosen
    "Belamorte's Blessing – 722" for perk 3
    "Belamorte's Blessing – 724" for perk 5
    "Belamorte's Blessing – 726" for perk 7
    "Belamorte's Blessing – 728" for perk 9
    "Belamorte's Blessing – 729" for perk 10

Here are the effects of the perks:

Code:
    		Level	Effect
    		of 	on master
    		master				Mortificant	Belamorte	Curatem
    ...........................................................................................
    Without
    perk		-		-		746-1055	457-820		432-738
    Perk 1		30	+5 Life; +15 NP		798-1182	566-837		519-768
    Perk 2		60	+7 Life; +17 NP		as above	as above	as above
    Park 3		90	+8 Life; +18 NP		873-1267	619-898		557-808
    Perk 4		110	+10 Life; +20 NP	as above	as above	as above
    Perk 5		130	+10 Life; +20 NP	933-1377	662-977		584-862
    Perk 6		150	+15 Life; +20 NP	as above	as above	as above
    Perk 7		170	+25 Life; +35 NP	1027-1469	728-1041	631-902
    Perk 8		190	+30 Life; +45 NP	as above	as above	as above
    Perk 9		SL 1	+35 Life; +45 NP	1134-1561	804-1107	684-941
    Perk 10		SL 3	+55 Life; +65 NP	1216-1694	862-1201	719-1002

EDITED September 23rd 2003: added Altumus

Level	Effect
    		of	on master
    		master				Altumus 
    Without
    perk		 -		-		400-675
    Perk 1		30	+5 Life; +15 NP		477-705
    Perk 2		60	+7 Life; +17 NP		as above
    Park 3		90	+8 Life; +18 NP		511-742
    Perk 4		110	+10 Life; +20 NP	as above
    Perk 5		130	+10 Life; +20 NP	537-792
    Perk 6		150	+15 Life; +20 NP	as above
    Perk 7		170	+25 Life; +35 NP	580-829
    Perk 8		190	+30 Life; +45 NP	as above
    Perk 9		SL 1	+35 Life; +45 NP	628-864
    Perk 10		SL 3	+55 Life; +65 NP	661-921
    END OF EDITING

Level	Effect
    		of	on master
    		master				The Vivificator	Restite		Valentyia
    ...........................................................................................
    Without
    perk		 -		-		346-620		291-493		177-253
    Perk 1		30	+5 Life; +15 NP		428-634		348-514		191-282
    Park 3		90	+8 Life; +18 NP		459-667		373-541		205-297
    Perk 5		130	+10 Life; +20 NP	482-721		391-578		215-317
    Perk 7		170	+25 Life; +35 NP	521-745		423-604		232-332
    Perk 9		SL 1	+35 Life; +45 NP	565-777		458-630		251-346
    Perk 10		SL 3	+55 Life; +65 NP	594-828		482-672		264-368

Level	Effect
    		of	on master
    		master				Sanoo		Salvinous	Medinos
    Without
    perk		-		-		259-348		92-168		44-79
    Perk 1		30	+5 Life; +15 NP		269-398		115-171		55-81
    Park 3		90	+8 Life; +18 NP		289-419		124-179		59-85
    Perk 5		130	+10 Life; +20 NP	303-447		130-192		61-91
    Perk 7		170	+25 Life; +35 NP	327-468		140-200		66-95
    Perk 9		SL 1	+35 Life; +45 NP	355-488		152-209		72-99
    Perk 10		SL 3	+55 Life; +65 NP	373-520		160-223		76-105
    IMPORTANT COMMENTS:

1) You will note that perks 2, 4, 6, 8, are almost useless because they do not improve the healing nanos of the pet. They should not be chosen until you are able to choose the next perk at the same time, and really gain something.

2) The perks do NOT make the healer heal you faster. The "attack" time and the recharge time of healing nanos remain the same:

Code:
    			AT (s)	RT (s)
    Mortificant		3	4.5
    Belamorte		3.2	5
    Curatem			3.5	5
    The Vivificator		4.2	5
    Restite			4.4	5
    Valentyia		4.75	5
    Sanoo			4.6	5
    Salvinous		5.1	5
    Medinos			5.5	5
    Note that a faster healing could have been a more significant improvement, especially when facing several mobs at the same time, and thus being hit at a high rate.

3) It has been stated by some players that the damage dealt by mobs was increased but that the healing capability of the pets has been increased accordingly by the perks.
    Theoretically (mathematically), this is still to be demonstrated. But only FunCom holds all the necessary elements for the calculation.
    In practice for Rubi-Ka, this seems to be accurate. With Belamorte +7 perks I had *no problem at all* in missions around level 194 (my level at the time of testing), even with the mobs that usually pose some problems: I was able to stand in front of them all the time and I'm a nanomage!
    In practice for Shadowlands, at the time of writing, and even for high level players owning excellent items (including already some SL items like sets of "alldef" Jobe clusters implants), Shadowlands mobs level 180-200 outdamage very easily the healing capacities of Belamorte with the first 7 perks (the 8th perk brings nothing). As well, they *seem* to outdamage the theoretical possibilities of Mortificant, especially because they hit faster than the pet can heal. The above has to be verified after the changes FunCom is supposed to make to SL mobs.

Also, and in general (Rubi-Ka and SL) the problems related to pets behaviour (pathing, pet "on strike" syndrome, latency, etc) should be really taken in consideration when calculating if the healing capacity of a pet is "fair" and "balanced" or not! Currently it seems they are not. For example, if you have to move away a bit, the healer does not follow you very well and this means you lose easily one or two heals.

4) Of course, if you are able to use a high level perk, there is no reason to use it with a low level pet (for example perk 7 with Medinos). On the other hand, if you have a high level pet and can only use a very low perk, this means that either something is wrong with the building of your character or that you have made very unusual choices.

Hope this post helps

Edited: tables layout, added comment 4); added Altumus on Sept. 23rd 2003; minor details on Oct. 29 2003

Chrisax, MP 200, President of the Athen Paladins, Rimor
    Last edited by Chrisax; Oct 29th, 2003 at 19:03:45.

Damn Chrisax...thank you very much that was very well written and nicely detailed. I wouldnt have known about that perk at all if it want for ya...thanks again for the info
    Currently sniffing the back of your neck.
    Trilic lvl 215 Meta-Physicist Deity
    W
    ..:: Got Mocham? No? Then try The MP Guide. ::..

you can easy look ingame your pet soothing spirit perk abilities simple write /tell itemsnet heal_pet_nano_name.. and will recive nano and nano with perk

Very Basic Guide to Implant Choices for the MP

Basically, you should build your implants in such a way as to increase the skills you need to increase. For an MP the most important skills are the Nanoskills and the nanocasting related skills like NanoC-Init. Look at the nanos that you want to be able to cast next, see how much skill you need to cast them and then implant in order to be able to reach those skills where possible.

To get an overview of the priorities in terms of which skills it's most important to implant - read through the sections linked to in the index of this guide about IP Distribution. In the sections on IP Distribution, you'll find information that helps you to choose which skills to raise - both with IP and with implants.

Also, in the index of the guide, you'll find links to some MP websites and other beginner's guides for the MP (Like the SOG one). Those pages may give you some tips on implant layouts.

There's also links to some utilities that may help you to mess around with different implant setups and see which ones give you the right skills. Nano Nanny, The AntiGuardians Implant Design Tool and Rustot's Skills emulator are all good tools for that purpose. They allow you to choose the skills and the QLs and see what QL of implant you need and which clusters will give you the skills you're looking for.

With all that said - the basic set-up for an MP is usually around the attack and heal pets. The attack pets need TS and MC. The heal pets need TS and BM.

Second priority is usually the Mez pets and the nukes. The Mez pets need TS and MM. And the nukes need PM and MC.

So top priority would be: TS - MC - BM
    Second priority would be: PM and MM

There is one exception to this general rule: The MP has very good nanoskills buffs which use PM and SI. Sometimes, it will work out better for you overall to prioritise PM and SI in your implants so that you can reach the next highest nanoskills buffs. That enables you to buff all of your nanoskills much higher.

So, if implanting with PM and SI in priority will gain you better nanoskills buffs - then that is often the best thing to do. Otherwise implant with priority on TS - MC -BM.

The biggest deciding factor for prioritisation is the Shining Head Cluster slot. All 6 of the nanoskills use the Shining Head slot - and only one cluster may go in there. Shining clusters also give the biggest skills buff - equal to bright and faded put together. So the very top priority skill tends to go in there.

The other clusters - Bright and Faded for each skill - also clash for some skills. You use your priorities to decide which cluster should win.

One other major element of any implant set for an MP is the Max Health implant. MPs tend to have weak Hitpoints - so implanting for those can be very important.

With all that in mind, you might view the following basic implant choices as the general rule:
    Code:
    Implant         Shining       Bright       Faded
    ========== ==========================================

Head            Time/Space    

Chest           Max Health    Bio Met      Sense Imp

Ear                                        Psych Mod

Eye                           Psych Mod    Mat Cre

Left Arm                                   Mat Met

Leg                                        Max Health

Right Hand                    Mat Cre

Waist                         Max Health   Bio Met
    For the periods when prioritising Psych Mod and Sense Imp will get you better nanoskills buffs, then the following basic set-up might be chosen:
    Code:
    Implant         Shining       Bright       Faded
    ========= ===========================================

Head            Psych Mod    

Chest           Max Health    Bio Met      Sense Imp

Ear                                        Psych Mod

Eye                           Sense Imp    Mat Cre

Left Arm                                   Mat Met

Leg                                        Max Health

Right Hand                    Time/Space

Waist                         Max Health   Bio Met
    X

Added and indexed the very basic guide to implant choices for the MP.

X

Saw someone asking if there was a way to comment-out lines in a script, I was looking for a way to do that myself earlier. After trying a few regular ones I discovered, that just like in good old tcl, you can use punch/number [#] to write little comments/whatever in scripts.

Here's a lame example (tm):

# Hi Bob, here is my script as promised
    /pet attack %t
    # this makes the pet attack my target
    /delay 1000
    # <begin pathfinding rant>
    /say Behold! The path of the righteous pet!
    /delay 12000
    /say Getting there soon?
    /delay 230000
    /say ...
    /delay 39000
    /me wakes up to battle-music, grunting
    /delay 1000
    /shout FINALLY! remind me never to send you shopping!

GOOD INFO!!
    The Smurf ME!

and

A Bigger non-smurf ME!(so far!!) UPDATED: SMURFED!!
    UPDATE-UPDATE: Char Deleted.

and the newest edition:

A ugly MP!

Quoted:" nothing to quote anymore:" "Quote nurfed" Laterz

X will be publishing a new guide very soon and have requested this to be unsticked.
    Last edited by Votary; Nov 2nd, 2003 at 07:13:42.
    Joseph "Votary" Zodiac - RK1 Clan Atrox MP
    I can summon pies (now mochams infused!)

"Holy Mocham!" - Votary

X you might want to add this link to the Map download's area:

http://home.datacomm.ch/sphere/stuff...emap_v0.60.zip

VERY nice shadowlands map. Well done Shere.
    Cotharin - General of the 3305 Local

MP's are still the most fun!

Cotharin - trox MP (the new main)
    Nvrmore100 - nano MP (retired - the new trade monkey)
    .....too many little alts to count....

Added it to the new MP Guide thread.

Might be time to close this one ackshly - I may give Votary a PM.

X

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567